Icon prices out of control

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Only a little over a trillion dollars in US consumer credit card debt.... peanuts.☺️

And, then there are people like us with grown kids, no debt and multiple sources of income in our 60's.  We could afford to do Icon, but why waste the money to be among the first?  At the end of your life, people will not care that you were.  Heck, the week or two after you go, no one else will care lol.  

I know families who used to go to WDW every year when our sons were growing up.  No trip was every really special.  Our boys went twice while growing up and those were special to them.  When we were kids, us and almost all our friends were lucky if we got to go anywhere during summer vacation (usually visiting family out of state with a side trip to an amusement park like Six Flags or something).  Forget getting out of school to go on a family vacation.  We all survived and had lots to look forward to as adults.  Kids now expect to continue the lifestyle their parents have taught them is "normal".   They see everything being paid for with plastic without learning what that really means, whether it's for convenience or if it's the only way it can be paid for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BND said:

And, then there are people like us with grown kids, no debt and multiple sources of income in our 60's.  We could afford to do Icon, but why waste the money to be among the first?  At the end of your life, people will not care that you were.  Heck, the week or two after you go, no one else will care lol.  

I know families who used to go to WDW every year when our sons were growing up.  No trip was every really special.  Our boys went twice while growing up and those were special to them.  When we were kids, us and almost all our friends were lucky if we got to go anywhere during summer vacation (usually visiting family out of state with a side trip to an amusement park like Six Flags or something).  Forget getting out of school to go on a family vacation.  We all survived and had lots to look forward to as adults.  Kids now expect to continue the lifestyle their parents have taught them is "normal".   They see everything being paid for with plastic without learning what that really means, whether it's for convenience or if it's the only way it can be paid for.

I agree with you about it not being important to be on the inaugural Icon cruise. When Icon bookings were first available, the inaugural cruise was close to triple the cost of the second cruise, which is why I booked the second cruise. Since that time the demand for Icon has been very strong, which is why prices have increased dramatically over the last year plus. People are now paying significantly more than people paid for the inaugural cruise. 

I don’t know if you meant to infer this by your comment, but I highly doubt everyone is using “plastic” to pay for their cruises nor do I believe all kids were exposed to bad examples by their parents. I can look at my adult kids and my friends’ adult kids to know this isn’t true. 

To compare, if a family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids) were to choose to go on a Ski Vacation in Colorado.  They will spend $3k in lift tickets alone for 4 days of skiing.  Not including lodging, food both of which will be paid at an elevated price due to location, along with equipment.

From my experience, I do know of families that will at times budget 20k+ for vacations.  While also having limited time for said vacations because of schedules.  Note those families, have the income to support it.  Also they will have an average vehicle age of 10 years, phones that are 4-5 years old, no tv cable, ect. Some people focus on family time when they get it, vacation being an example.

There is people out there that spend a minimum $20/week on Starbucks and/or alcohol.  That's $1000/yr, for someone like me that will spend $0 on either. I find that outrageous. However, everyone has different wants/needs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with you about it not being important to be on the inaugural Icon cruise. When Icon bookings were first available, the inaugural cruise was close to triple the cost of the second cruise, which is why I booked the second cruise. Since that time the demand for Icon has been very strong, which is why prices have increased dramatically over the last year plus. People are now paying significantly more than people paid for the inaugural cruise. 

I don’t know if you meant to infer this by your comment, but I highly doubt everyone is using “plastic” to pay for their cruises nor do I believe all kids were exposed to bad examples by their parents. I can look at my adult kids and my friends’ adult kids to know this isn’t true. 

I think you missed my point and it wasn't about you.  I was referring to the credit debt in this country.   Everyone uses plastic to pay for almost everything nowadays.   Whether they pay it off every month is a different story.  We wouldn't have the consumer debt we do if they did.  Our grown sons and their wives pay theirs off every month, but a lot do not. They never had the expectation that they had to do something just because it was new or unique or "cool". Kind of like the idiotic current thing about a metal water bottle.    Living the lifestyle some of the 20 and 30 somethings I see isn't possible without incurring debt.  And, I do think the expectations of some kids today are way out of line with what is reality for them when they are on their own.  Too many do not know what delayed gratification is.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BND said:

I agree with everything that you wrote. This apple did not fall far from my father's tree.

34 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I suspect that you probably fall more into our generation from your post.

36 minutes ago, BND said:

I think you missed my point and it wasn't about you.  I was referring to the credit debt in this country.   Everyone uses plastic to pay for almost everything nowadays.   Whether they pay it off every month is a different story.  We wouldn't have the consumer debt we do if they did.  Our grown sons and their wives pay theirs off every month, but a lot do not. They never had the expectation that they had to do something just because it was new or unique or "cool". Kind of like the idiotic current thing about a metal water bottle.    Living the lifestyle some of the 20 and 30 somethings I see isn't possible without incurring debt.  And, I do think the expectations of some kids today are way out of line with what is reality for them when they are on their own.  Too many do not know what delayed gratification is.

I did find it amusing when we visited the states from the UK. When i was paying for things such as the hotel i would have to explain that i was handing the staff my debt card and not a credit card, as that affects the way its processed. The number of staff who would put it through like a credit card and wonder why it wouldnt work was high. But once i explained they were happy but surprised i was using a debt card and not puttin it on a credit card. I only have my mortgage on credit everything else i want or need in life i save for. 

58 minutes ago, BND said:

I know families who used to go to WDW every year when our sons were growing up.  No trip was every really special.  Our boys went twice while growing up and those were special to them.  

A lot of people mention they would rather do multiple weeks cruises vs. 1 week on Icon.  Seems like 1 week on Icon would be more special to some families vs. several cruises on others.

For many on here it seems like cruising is not special.  Each experience seems to be focused on xyz being a bad experience or not what it used to be. Those non-veteran cruisers are going to enjoy Icon like it's special, and not be upset because the Crown lounge doesn't have water views.

Edited by SUgwoz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Those non-veteran cruisers are going to enjoy Icon like it's special, and not be upset because the Crown lounge doesn't have water views.

And they will become the next generation of complainers.  Years from now remembering that first cruise on ICON and how great it was, but how much has changed since then.  

We all had to start somewhere.  

19 hours ago, eroller said:

Yes, and capable of docking two of their World Class ships at the same time.  MSC WORLD AMERICA is being constructed right now, and will sail year round out of their new PortMiami terminal.  Does it compare to ICON?  No but it’s 1/3 the price and offers a lot of bang for the buck.  It has the split superstructure like the Oasis Class.  In fact MSC copies a lot from Royal. Imitation is the best form of flattery.  I’m a big fan of MSC when I’m looking for an inexpensive getaway on a big, amenity packed, spotless ship.  I’m never disappointed for what I paid.  

Yeah I was looking at that and noticing how similar to Oasis class they were. Would be curious to see some kind of side by side comparison...

19 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Those non-veteran cruisers are going to enjoy Icon like it's special, and not be upset because the Crown lounge doesn't have water views.

Well, of course they won't complain about the Crown Lounge lack of water views. That is because they can't get in there in the first place.☺️

• Haha 1

I don't understand all of the people that pounce on "if I had more money to spend, I'd spend it on a luxury line." Why does everyone assume that X amount of money means you should prefer the environment of a luxury line. Is it because of food? Big money on mass market ships can get you many of the same perks, while also having that many more choices. Personally, I don't find the need to spend top dollar on cruises. I could completely understand though how some people might want a different balance of luxury and entertainment though.

I also get a chuckle at the common divisive politics these days of blaming boomers for everything and saying they grew up with such an easy life. Does anyone remember our families growing up going on vacations to massive, expensive, beautiful cruise ships? My entire extended family would go to the local lake for a few days. That was their vacation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fletch1027 said:

Yeah I was looking at that and noticing how similar to Oasis class they were. Would be curious to see some kind of side by side comparison...

We are going on world europe in april out of Barcelona. Watch out for a review as we have also recently been on Oasis. Have sailed MSC before and they are good value for money

39 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I don't understand all of the people that pounce on "if I had more money to spend, I'd spend it on a luxury line." Why does everyone assume that X amount of money means you should prefer the environment of a luxury line. Is it because of food? Big money on mass market ships can get you many of the same perks, while also having that many more choices. Personally, I don't find the need to spend top dollar on cruises. I could completely understand though how some people might want a different balance of luxury and entertainment though.

I also get a chuckle at the common divisive politics these days of blaming boomers for everything and saying they grew up with such an easy life. Does anyone remember our families growing up going on vacations to massive, expensive, beautiful cruise ships? My entire extended family would go to the local lake for a few days. That was their vacation. 

Totally agree, i will more then happily stick to my inside room nad buffet food, no wifi, or drinks pckage even though i can afford a balcony room the extra packages. I just prefer apending my money on more cruises then optional extras i dont really need or want. Still have a great time. 

18 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've seen several TAs advertising in the 3k range for insides and even balconys. Take a walk on the wild side and ask a ta about group prices. I think it's silly to compare published prices which no one I know is paying. 

They cant all be making up those prices or maybe they are last minute but I'm seeing prices much lower than published. I think 3k is a lot ... dont get me wrong but comparing published prices is just so people can complain. Not serious. 

Sir, you speak the truth.  I have just seen some amazing Icon group pricing.  If the group pricing I saw is available next year, I just may be sailing Icon in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

Why do people only say icon too high. I guess stars pricing must be spot on, no complaints. Just about icon. Most of these threads just are people talking about their own personal finances from what I can see and complain about one thing but ignore others not different. Wierd. 

Go book Star. :)

• Like 1

I fully expect a new ship to charge top dollar, that said, looks like people who booked early got some decent prices before they went way up. With Icon, Star, etc, being new -- I'm hoping Oasis Class pricing regulates being the "older" ships, but that is yet to be seen. I've been able to take my family on NYE sailings for the last two years and when looking at this upcoming year, Oasis class is nearly double what I've been accustomed to paying. I need to learn to book when sailings are released if I can't be flexible 🤑

• Like 1

It is interesting that people suddenly started discussing other people spending when prices on Icon looked high to them. 

Do you think people do not spend beyond their means when cruising on other ships ... or just eating OUT most of the time? 🙂

Many people are not fiscally responsible... but then there are many people who do have means to pay for Icon.. and for Coco cay additional things. No need to start making generalizations.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

There's definitely some decent TA group rates still out there! I booked Icon about 2 weeks ago via a TA group rate for later on this year in 2024, 2 of us in an oceanview balcony, with $350 obc for about $2700 including taxes and fees. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

There's definitely some decent TA group rates still out there! I booked Icon about 2 weeks ago via a TA group rate for later on this year in 2024, 2 of us in an oceanview balcony, with $350 obc for about $2700 including taxes and fees. 

Now that is amazing!!!!!!!  Really good find.

I just saw a group rate for:

10 May 2025
H5 - Surfside View Balcony
$3026 (includes taxes and fees)

I'm tempted but I prefer oceanview.

Edited by soremekun

32 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

Starting to sound reasonable. Prices finally dropping below 3k. I'm solo so would be a even better total price. And thank you for a total price. 

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Does anyone remember our families growing up going on vacations to massive, expensive, beautiful cruise ships? My entire extended family would go to the local lake for a few days. That was their vacation. 

Was there massive expensive cruise ships with amenities for kids? Was there an abundance of flying/cruising options to make it convenient and economical? 

I grew up going to the nearest beach most summers that was 2 hours away for a week. Cause that was time convenient and money efficient. With a more elaborate vacation every 3-4 years.  Now that I have more options available to me I have no intention of doing the same for the next 20 years. 

For many Floridians, going on a cruise is a a few hour drive and more cost effective than a lot of other trip options that would require airfare. 

I've been pricing every ship for our 30 anniversary year (2026) including Star and other lines including Carnival Jubilee and Sun Princess and every Celebrity Edge ship including the new Xcel and it looks like cruise fares will never be the same again after the scourge that was Covid.  Not many ships are much cheaper than any others, though ICON is just outa site...glad we booked when we did last yr.  We'd have to get on older than O class to get any real inexpensive cruises...those days have come and gone my friends to quote a favorite movie.  So we'll just buckle up and save more coinage and take 2 years to pay it off.  One thing I know for sure after this weeks vids, we will want to do ICON again.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1