Icon prices out of control

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I also get a chuckle at the common divisive politics these days of blaming boomers for everything and saying they grew up with such an easy life. Does anyone remember our families growing up going on vacations to massive, expensive, beautiful cruise ships? My entire extended family would go to the local lake for a few days. That was their vacation. 

Well, I don't know who it is but some how the credit card debt in the US got to be over a trillion dollars without any contribution from me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

My entire extended family would go to the local lake for a few days. That was their vacation. 

We went camping in Colorado every summer for as long as I can remember...in a beat up old station wagon, that's all Dad could afford...and we had the times of our lives!  I look back and as a kid it never occured to me I'd be flying in a jet 2 or 3 times a year and cruising all over the world!  Only rich people did that! LOL  And we are debt free Ocean Boy!

0689CO57.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I don't know who it is but some how the credit card debt in the US got to be over a trillion dollars without any contribution from me.

me either 🙂 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

And we are debt free Ocean Boy!

0689CO57.JPG

I aplaud you. As am I debt free. I am also extremely thankful that I have had the opportunity to take my parents on cruises and other vacations that they didn't get to experience when they were younger as they were preoccupied with raising their kids and figuring out how to help with their educations. I could not have hoped for better parents or homelife. I was blessed, I just didn't always know it back then.

• Like 11

I find it weird that people blame others because they can't afford things.  Work harder, save more, stop smoking, cutout Starbucks, there is a myriad of reasons you can't afford things.  Blaming other people's spending should be the last reason.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I find it weird that people blame others because they can't afford things.  Work harder, save more, stop smoking, cutout Starbucks, there is a myriad of reasons you can't afford things.  Blaming other people's spending should be the last reason.

Obviously, your parents instilled all the wrong values in you.😉😊😇 Everything wrong in your life has to be someone else's fault.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Summary of this thread ... 

Buggati prices are out of control.  Those stupid Saudi princes owning 10 are driving up prices.  It's irresponsible. 

Also, I prefer driving a Ford Fusion, I refuse to be irresponsible like other people besides, Pagani is a way better car and if I was going to drive a supercar I would never consider Bugatti.  

🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I would never consider Bugatti.  

We're looking at Canoe  truck..for me a car is nothing but a way to get from point A to point B economically.  I'm no tree hugger, just fiscally responsible...LOL

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

I personally don't like any of the newer HUGE theme park on water cruise ships. My kids are grown and I want to relax. Now I understand that Royal is family friendly but I really wish they would consider not everyone is cruising as a family. Some of us are just empty nesters who would love a cruise on a fun ship but not all the kiddie rides. 

We are Diamond now so we're not likely to choose a different line. But would be nice to relax with a few less screaming kids ( in my defense I work with screaming kids).

We enjoy the comedy shows, the piano bars, the pools, dinning, and the evening shows. That said I'd never pay the Icon prices even IF I could afford it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

I personally don't like any of the newer HUGE theme park on water cruise ships. My kids are grown and I want to relax. Now I understand that Royal is family friendly but I really wish they would consider not everyone is cruising as a family. Some of us are just empty nesters who would love a cruise on a fun ship but not all the kiddie rides. 

We are Diamond now so we're not likely to choose a different line. But would be nice to relax with a few less screaming kids ( in my defense I work with screaming kids).

We enjoy the comedy shows, the piano bars, the pools, dinning, and the evening shows. That said I'd never pay the Icon prices even IF I could afford it. 

We are also empty nesters… but I remember times when ships were already large, but not enough to do for kids… so kids were right were adults were. Even though I don’t need theme park, they attract kids and we can have a quiet time. 🙂 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Summary of this thread ... 

Buggati prices are out of control.  Those stupid Saudi princes owning 10 are driving up prices.  It's irresponsible. 

Also, I prefer driving a Ford Fusion, I refuse to be irresponsible like other people besides, Pagani is a way better car and if I was going to drive a supercar I would never consider Bugatti.  

🙂 

I'm so glad I read this thread to the end. After page 1, I was going to post a very similar reply to this one. Except I was going to use Rolls-Royce in my example. 😉

There is a ship out there for everyone at just about every price point. Just like those gently used Ford Fusions.

Back in topic for the OP, Icon is the new, shiny toy so yeah, sky high prices just like anything else new. Once Icon 2 (Star of the Seas)  & 3 come out, I would expect/hope price will become more reasonable.

• Like 2

I just found an Icon ocean view (no balcony) for $2,700 (group rate) including taxes and fees.  I'm most likely going to do it.  

Edit: no balcony.  Surfside balcony is $3k.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, little britain said:

My TA has group rates for December in an ocean view balcony for $1470pp before c&a discounts. 

Great price! Consider the week we are going in part of spring break and the price seems decent.

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Starting to sound reasonable. Prices finally dropping below 3k. I'm solo so would be a even better total price. And thank you for a total price. 

Those are the original group rates that were released last year for sailings through April 2025.  Nothing has changed and you won't find anything remotely close to that for any sailing after April 2025.

The original rates for Icon were released in November 2022 when the cruise line in general had very low prices and ships were still not all sailing at full capacity

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are no "cheap" group rates on Star and anything at a decent price on Icon sails fefore April 2025

I know there are group rates for balcony rooms, but do they have them for full suites?

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

I know there are group rates for balcony rooms, but do they have them for full suites?

Unfortunately only balconies and below.  Not even for JS.  So few suites that they can sell for full price that there is no need to offer any discounts.

On 1/29/2024 at 1:39 AM, little britain said:

My TA has group rates for December in an ocean view balcony for $1470pp before c&a discounts. 

I booked this with my TA under a group rate for November 2nd.  😀

13 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

I am Diamond Plus, but that doesn’t keep me from sailing other cruise lines. I still cruise on RCI the most, but I cruise on Celebrity several times a year. From the limited information in your post I think you would enjoy Celebrity. We did a 9 day cruise on Constellation earlier this month and had a great time. There were literally a dozen kids on the ship. I am currently in my late 50s and fairly positive I will cruise more often on Celebrity and less often on RCI as I get older. I still enjoy RCI ships, but the quieter, relaxed environment on Celebrity ships, plus the night time entertainment, is becoming more appealing as I get older. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 10:33 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

The ship will sail at 100%+ occupancy for years, it does not matter what you or any of us think about the pricing. 
I have a colleague that booked the Family Townhouse suite, he paid WELL into the 6 figure range. That cabin is fully booked for nearly 2 years

I wonder if another 0 is randomly added at the end of a price ($774,000 total cabin for 2), what a reply would be?

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

I wonder if another 0 is randomly added at the end of a price ($774,000 total cabin for 2), what a reply would be?

If somehow people have the money to spend and want to on that.  Probably the same. There is a Jeep that sells for $120K, doesn't make sense to me, but apparently people buy it.

18 hours ago, Tatka said:

We are also empty nesters… but I remember times when ships were already large, but not enough to do for kids… so kids were right were adults were. Even though I don’t need theme park, they attract kids and we can have a quiet time. 🙂 

It's not that I don't want ALL of it but would be nice if they made some new mid sized ships. Maybe cater to the mid life group lol. We don't go to bed at 9 but we don't party til 3am. I like a good water slide and use to enjoy a climb ( can't anymore due to a bad car accident that left me with a leg & foot full of metal lol). Oh well one can dream lol.