Icon prices out of control

Ok, 

So, I thought I'd have a laugh and see what price range Royal was asking for Icon during the Xmas Holiday this year. 

I picked the most expensive cabin showing available, the Icon Loft, category IL. Per person before taxes or gratuities it starts at $38,522.00. 

After taxes (and they threw in the gratuities-oh boy) it came out to $77, 421.00 all total for two people. 🤣

Now, I'm a Royal fan, DH and I just reached Diamond and are looking forward to the perks that come with it but come on!!

If we were in that tax bracket where we could actually afford that price for a week's vacation, we wouldn't be spending it on a mass market cruise line. 

We'd be renting a place on a private island and chartering a yacht for a week. 

Even a category v4 interior cabin is going for over $10,600.00. That's just silly to me. 

I realize this year because she's new, people will pay top dollar for a chance to be on her, but once the novelty wears off does Royal actually believe there's that much of a client base with pockets deep enough to afford those prices? 

No shade on anyone who's financially blessed enough to be able to do this, if you have it, spend it right, more power to you, but it just seems too outrageous for me. 

What do you all think. Am I in the minority or majority?

Edited by runner2013
content
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I’m definitely priced out of ICON right now.  There is only so much I’ll pay for a 7000 pax mass-market ship.  For ICON prices I can sail on a much higher-end inclusive line. 

This being said that is just me.  Others obviously feel differently.  I applaud Royal for getting these amazing per diems.  They spent a fortune to design & build an amazing ship that is generating unprecedented demand.  Good for them.  Prices are market driven so as long as people feel ICON is worth the premium, these high prices will continue.  

I can’t wait to sail on ICON, but for me it’s going to be a while.  In the meantime I’ll enjoy plenty of other cruises.  

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The ship will sail at 100%+ occupancy for years, it does not matter what you or any of us think about the pricing. 
I have a colleague that booked the Family Townhouse suite, he paid WELL into the 6 figure range. That cabin is fully booked for nearly 2 years

That's good news for shareholder's.😊

• Like 1

Any new ship from Royal in my opinion has insanely high prices. The market for these high prices is obviously there as people are booking them but it isn't as big as the average Joe market (for want of better expression). Are very wealthy cruisers going to return to the same ships and itineraries time and again when they can always afford the next new thing?

I have never sailed with them but I just find it interesting that MSC adopts a completely different business model and is completely and very aggressively  in 'average Joe' territory with regards to pricing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tin can said:

I have never sailed with them but I just find it interesting that MSC adopts a completely different business model and is completely and very aggressively  in 'average Joe' territory with regards to pricing.

Great thing about MSC is they are family owned.  Quite remarkable when you think of how big they are, and growing faster than any other line.  They have no pesky shareholders to answer to and can run the business as they see fit.  They also have a massive cargo operation to subsidize costs which really came in handy during Covid.  While every other cruise line had massive losses during Covid, MSC was thriving thanks to the cargo division.  No one knows quite how profitable they are since they are not public, but they could probably buy Royal a couple times over.  

• Like 6

Agreed. The prices are insane. We booked our March '24 Icon cruise way back in October of 2022 right when the bookings became available. If I were to try and book the exact same cruise today, we'd have to pay 3 times the cost (yes, 300% more!). Total insanity. No way we'd pay north of $20k for our upcoming Icon cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It Is uniqueness.

You can book luxury line… but will it offer what Icon is offering to kids?

This is basically like with Disney. A very special ship families are looking for. Same people who may otherwise sail with luxury lines book suites on Icon or Disney to vacation with kids.

As two adults we don’t see anything special about this ship which will make us to pay prices like this. We actually see several cons. We sail on all classes though so when she or sisters make it to Bayonne, NJ, we will sail on her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being the newest and biggest, Icon will demand the highest prices, and some people will pay.

And Christmas week is sky-high on any ship.  New Year's Eve might be higher. 

But that price is crazy!  I'd rather have several cruises on a mid-sized ship than one on Icon.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It Is uniqueness.

You can book luxury line… but will it offer what Icon is offering to kids?

This is basically like with Disney. A very special ship families are looking for. Same people who may otherwise sail with luxury lines book suites on Icon or Disney to vacation with kids.

As two adults we don’t see anything special about this ship which will make us to pay prices like this. We actually see several cons. We sail on all classes though so when she or sisters make it to Bayonne, NJ, we will sail on her.

We are two adults as well, no kids.  I still find the ship very exciting and I eventually want to sail on her.  My husband?  Not a chance in hell.  I’m a big ship buff though and love to try out brand new prototype ships, regardless of cruise line.  So I’ll go with my brother or a friend … eventually when prices become more reasonable.  I’m willing to wait.  

Next up the new SEVEN SEAS GRANDEUR with Regent in March. Totally different experience but one I’ll equally enjoy to something like ICON for different reasons.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, eroller said:

We are two adults as well, no kids.  I still find the ship very exciting and I eventually want to sail on her.  My husband?  Not a chance in hell.  I’m a big ship buff though and love to try out brand new prototype ships, regardless of cruise line.  So I’ll go with my brother or a friend … eventually when prices become more reasonable.  I’m willing to wait.  

Next up the new SEVEN SEAS GRANDEUR with Regent in March. Totally different experience but one I’ll equally enjoy to something like ICON for different reasons.  

Same for us we are also shortly sailing with Seven Seas for the first time a completely different experience no doubt but looking forward to it and at a much more in our opinion reasonable price.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, eroller said:

We like what large ships offer in terms of entertainment, but looking at Icon I feel that we will miss adult Solarium. We are fine with many kids onboard, but need a space to “hide”.. which isn’t our room.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Same for us we are also shortly sailing with Seven Seas for the first time a completely different experience no doubt but looking forward to it and at a much more in our opinion reasonable price.

March will be my 3rd time on Regent, and second time on SEVEN SEAS GRANDEUR.  I absolutely love it, and I think GRANDEUR is the most beautiful ship I’ve ever sailed.  Just stunning.  I hope you love it too.  You will feel quite spoiled and taken care of for sure, and of course no lines or crowds.  Poolside lounger at noon?  No problem.  True luxury.  

Still ICON looks just amazing and so much fun that she is high on my list.  I just can’t justify the pricing even for an inside cabin.  All in good time.  

3 hours ago, eroller said:

Great thing about MSC is they are family owned.  Quite remarkable when you think of how big they are, and growing faster than any other line.  They have no pesky shareholders to answer to and can run the business as they see fit.  They also have a massive cargo operation to subsidize costs which really came in handy during Covid.  While every other cruise line had massive losses during Covid, MSC was thriving thanks to the cargo division.  No one knows quite how profitable they are since they are not public, but they could probably buy Royal a couple times over.  

and they are building a big and new terminal right in front of RCI in Miami.  

Should be interesting few years for Miami and the variety of ships 

We booked the day the Icon was released. For 2 adults and 2 kids (KSF) in a Surfside Suite 7 nights in May was right around 7k. We didn't think this was too bad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and they are building a big and new terminal right in front of RCI in Miami.  

Should be interesting few years for Miami and the variety of ships 

Yes, and capable of docking two of their World Class ships at the same time.  MSC WORLD AMERICA is being constructed right now, and will sail year round out of their new PortMiami terminal.  Does it compare to ICON?  No but it’s 1/3 the price and offers a lot of bang for the buck.  It has the split superstructure like the Oasis Class.  In fact MSC copies a lot from Royal. Imitation is the best form of flattery.  I’m a big fan of MSC when I’m looking for an inexpensive getaway on a big, amenity packed, spotless ship.  I’m never disappointed for what I paid.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think either next year or 2026 I will book a cruise with MSC just to try it out.

And the new Sun Princess will have a dome in the front similar to ICON.

Also HAL on some of their recent ships have a place called One World in the aft that is 270 degree theatre with windows like the Quantum class.   

So, all the various lines are trying to copy each other.   The Promenade that started with Voyager class is something that a German ship had done before.  

18 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I think either next year or 2026 I will book a cruise with MSC just to try it out.

And the new Sun Princess will have a dome in the front similar to ICON.

Also HAL on some of their recent ships have a place called One World in the aft that is 270 degree theatre with windows like the Quantum class.   

So, all the various lines are trying to copy each other.   The Promenade that started with Voyager class is something that a German ship had done before.  

MSC is a great value.  Give them a try.  Just remember to put your expectations in check with what you paid.  

It’s true lots of copying of Royal Caribbean ideas.  They are the innovators after all.   None of the copies are executed nearly as well though.  

The Dome on Princess will be nothing like the Aqua Dome.  It’s essentially a covered pool where at night they can host some parties.  

The theater in the round on HAL ships is nothing like Two70.  First it’s in the front, and it’s just a round show lounge.  There are no windows or views.  The Edge Class with Celebrity have a similar concept but it’s better executed than HAL.  The new SUN PRINCESS will also have a theater in the round style show lounge.  

It’s true that center interior promenade started with the cruise ferry SILJA SERENADE in 1990.  Royal took the concept and ran with it.  But to be fair the vast majority of Royal’s concepts are original.  BTW two classes of MSC ships also have a “Royal Promenade”, but it’s not done half as well as Royal does … but again a much cheaper product.  

Oh and one thing Royal copied from NCL on ICON is the Crown’s Edge.  NCL has had a ropes course for years.  On one side it has “walk the plank” out over the side to the ship.  On the other side a zip-line segment of the ropes course that jets you out over the side of the ship.  Crown’s Edge is just a fancier version and one you have to pay for.  It’s free on NCL.  About the only thing they don’t charge extra for.  

Edited by eroller

I guess it goes to show if there wasn't a demand for 'bigger and better' Royal wouldn't have built something so large. 

I just hope they keep some of their 'smaller sized' ships around for a while. I'd hate to see them all go to make room for just more and more larger ones. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

I guess it goes to show if there wasn't a demand for 'bigger and better' Royal wouldn't have built something so large. 

I just hope they keep some of their 'smaller sized' ships around for a while. I'd hate to see them all go to make room for just more and more larger ones. 

I think they need a mix in their fleet size.  I’m hoping for two things.  A smaller (not small but smaller) new class of ship, and an investment in their current smaller ships that is desperately needed.  Some of their older ships are really looking shabby.  Sharp contrast to ICON.  They need serious upgrading.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

That's good news for shareholder's.😊

As a shareholder I appreciate that, because that ship cost a lot of borrowed $$$$$$.

As a traveler, heck, we haven't even been on an Oasis class ship yet, but we're running out of excuses.  The prices aren't that much higher anymore and now that one's sailing from Galveston we don't need a plane ride.

But seriously, if the prices are high, nobody's forcing you to go.  Vote with your dollars.  If more cruisers held onto their wallets, supply and demand would take care of things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1