Wonder or Odyssey of the seas

Good Morning  We are thinking about booking a family cruise for my granddaughters graduation. Its been a while since we cruised Royal. Grandparents mid to high 50's  parents, low to mid 30's and kids 5 to 18. Maybe a few more but not sure yet. Does anyone have a preference between these two? Things you don't like? Can I have the good, bad and ugly of both ships?  Thanks a bunch! Happy Cruising!

Wonder is Oasis class, so will appeal to all ages...(have not sailed on her)

I have sailed on Odessey and liked 270 and the bumper cars...we did not do I fly or Northstar..I did not like the pool setup, (not a lot of sun) but loved the sitting edge in the pool..

I think for a multi generation family Wonder woukd be better

I agree regarding Wonder over Odyssey. Ironically our last two cruises were on each of these so I have a fresh perspective 🙂.

Maybe it's because I'm used to Oasis/Freedom class but I prefer the overall layout of Oasis over the Quantum class. Odyssey was a great ship but it seemed more prone to bottlenecks than the Oasis ships. Also if elevators are needed, the ones on Odyssey were horrible 18 months ago when we sailed. I heard from other folks that this is one of the big issues folks have mentioned regarding Odyssey. That being said, the Northstar and Music Hall were awesome things that Oasis class don't have and I do prefer the Schooner Bar location on Odyssey vs. overlooking the promenade on Oasis class.

One word of caution about Wonder. If you are back in the aqua theater area on a port day, there seems to be an issue with soot collecting back there. We and several others had to get our light colored shorts cleaned to get the spots of soot removed from sitting in it. Not sure if that's been remedied but it was a problem last March... 

• Thanks 1

We just Did our second Odyssey cruise 1/6 and we will sail on her again in September for 12 days in Europe.  We love the class of ship while sailing alone.  Saying that we jump on Wonder for the 2nd time March 3rd with our older kids.

For the mixed ages that you listed I think you can please everyone better on Wonder.  That trip will be more about the ship than the ports of call so you can take that out of the equation.  They are using Dazzles as the Music Hall on Wonder which is great.  Northstar is nice to try once on Odyssey but you will forget its even there after you do it once. Same with Bumper cars.

A lot more variety on Wonder for the family experience. .Adding the Aqua shows to the mix along with the other shows is also a plus.  Boardwalk and Central park will both be a nice plus.  More venues to eat at on Wonder as well.  My vote is Wonder for that group but you cant lose either way.

I’ve never been on Wonder but I have sailed on Oasis and Allure. Recently sailed on Odyssey and did not enjoy it nearly as much. I love the Boardwalk and Central Park on the Oasis class ships. The varied entertainment, including Beiadway show. Ice show and Aquatheater make for much better entertainment. 
i do prefer the Solarium pool on Odyssey but not the Solarium itself. Odyssey’s solarium is fully enclosed and is air conditioned. I never felt the heat of the Caribbean and always felt slightly chilled. 

12 hours ago, rncruiser said:

I’ve never been on Wonder but I have sailed on Oasis and Allure. Recently sailed on Odyssey and did not enjoy it nearly as much. I love the Boardwalk and Central Park on the Oasis class ships. The varied entertainment, including Beiadway show. Ice show and Aquatheater make for much better entertainment. 
i do prefer the Solarium pool on Odyssey but not the Solarium itself. Odyssey’s solarium is fully enclosed and is air conditioned. I never felt the heat of the Caribbean and always felt slightly chilled. 

FWIW the solarium on Wonder is also fully enclosed and climate controlled. Personally, for me this is a plus not a minus. 

18 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

FWIW the solarium on Wonder is also fully enclosed and climate controlled. Personally, for me this is a plus not a minus. 

Thanks. I guess I will not choose to sail on the Wonder  

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have cruised multiple times on different Oasis class ships including several cruises on Wonder.  I have mixed feelings about the solarium on Wonder.   In some weather, that enclosed solarium works out very well.  On the other hand, on hot sunny days it can get really hot in the solarium; the climate control cannot cool it enough to keep it comfortable for many people.  If you are sailing in summer, you are more likely to experience this than if you are sailing in winter but your YMMV by the week.

23 hours ago, richbum said:

Good Morning  We are thinking about booking a family cruise for my granddaughters graduation. Its been a while since we cruised Royal. Grandparents mid to high 50's  parents, low to mid 30's and kids 5 to 18. Maybe a few more but not sure yet. Does anyone have a preference between these two? Things you don't like? Can I have the good, bad and ugly of both ships?  Thanks a bunch! Happy Cruising!

I think Wonder is a nice ship for a multi generational cruise, though I’d say that about any of the Oasis class ships. 

I do not understand why Odyssey is created the way it created.

For sailings from Northeast it is too open.

For Florida sailings it is too inclosed.

I wish it was built the same way as Anthem. Ok... maybe with Playmakers in Seaplex.

We will sail on her from NJ during next winter.. but I see issues.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2