Milk question

We are travelling with our 3 grandchildren.

We are not buying any drink packages for anyone.

is milk free only at breakfast? Or can you get free milk for lunch and  dinner as well for the kids?

another question. People say there is only a cooler in the room, no fridge. We are going to be on Wonder of the seas.

hard to believe no fridge in room. Is the cooler just like a picnic cooler? Wouldn’t leave milk there for the day.

thank you.

I leave drinks in my fridge all the time. No freezer but keeps drinks cool enough for me.

I noticed rcl now has chocolate and regular milk in a dispenser instead of in individual cartons my last time on harmony. Its served all meals.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cdn.cruiser said:

We are travelling with our 3 grandchildren.

We are not buying any drink packages for anyone.

is milk free only at breakfast? Or can you get free milk for lunch and  dinner as well for the kids?

another question. People say there is only a cooler in the room, no fridge. We are going to be on Wonder of the seas.

hard to believe no fridge in room. Is the cooler just like a picnic cooler? Wouldn’t leave milk there for the day.

thank you.

The cooler is like a mini fridge but doesn’t guarantee perfect temperature. You’ll be fine leaving milk in it for a day but you don’t want to leave your insulin in it for a week.

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

Want your milk to stay colder?  Get an bucket full of ice from your stateroom steward and put it in your cooler. It will eliminate a lot of room but items left in the cooler will be colder.

I woukdnt with a glass of milk that can tip and  not sealed. As above I saw containers that dispensed choc and regular milk, no cartons up in the WJ. I was on nov 26 dec 3 and dec 10. No cartons. A open glass on top of ice could tip.

Edited by firefly333

Lots of the ships have gone to ultrapasteurized milk in dispensers.  Granddaughter likes it (same as she gets at McDonalds) but wife can't drink it.  We never know until we get on whether they have small half pint cartons (with short expiration dates) or the dispensers of the other stuff.  

12 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I woukdnt with a glass of milk that can tip and  not sealed. As above I saw containers that dispensed choc and regular milk, no cartons up in the WJ. I was on nov 26 dec 3 and dec 10. No cartons. A open glass on top of ice could tip.

I don't think they were saying to put the milk on the ice.   But a container of ice also inside the fridge will keep the fridge cold.  

Self-serve milk (either cartons or dispensers) will be available in the Windjammer. In the main dining room, you'll have to ask for it. If you ask for it on the first night it will most like be brought without asking every night thereafter.

My last 5 RCL cruises since 1 Nov did not have cartons of milk anymore.  I was told they cannot get them in cartons anymore.  May be a temporary situation.  Generally white and chocolate milk are available in containers in the morning in the WJ.  Getting chocolate throughout the day is a challenge.  White milk is available in a pitcher by the water and ice machines in the WJ.  Generally, when I eat in CK or Chops for breakfast I just ask for milk and they bring me a glass.  I carry a drink container on board and fill it up at breakfast with my choice of milk and put it in my fridge.  Good for at least a day.  But check your fridge and ask for a new one if not cool at all.  My experience is they don't replace bad fridges unless someone complains.

4 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I don't think they were saying to put the milk on the ice.   But a container of ice also inside the fridge will keep the fridge cold.  

This is what we do. I usually have a ziploc bag with me, I fill the bag with ice and put it next to the item I would like to keep cool. In my case it’s usually fruit. 

If the milk is for her grandchildren, they will probably have cups with lids with them. So, they will be more secure in the “cooler”, (looks like a minI fridge, but not as cold).

Since she is on the Wonder, maybe Park Cafe would have cartons 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LeeW said:

Lots of the ships have gone to ultrapasteurized milk in dispensers.  Granddaughter likes it (same as she gets at McDonalds) but wife can't drink it.  We never know until we get on whether they have small half pint cartons (with short expiration dates) or the dispensers of the other stuff.  

I notice Celebrity has the milk in large container with a pouring spout. I rather like the cartons so that I can see the date of expiration

On 2/2/2024 at 5:44 PM, neverbeenhere said:

In the USA, that would be the "Best By" date.

Not for dairy.  Dairy has a "Sell By" date and should be good for 10 days after the Sell By it kept in a fridge at the proper temperature.

Another way to make the cooler work better is to prop the door open.  It moves heat from inside to the outside.  With the door closed, it gets very warm in the enclosure, so the heat moves back into the cooler.

• Like 1

Just off Harmony with my 3yr old.  No issues with milk at meals.  Needing milk at bedtime, I would generally just grab a coffee mug and then use one of the milk condiment pitchers to fill it at either Starbucks or Cafe Promenade.  WJ in the morning did have small cartons of chocolate and whole milk but I didn't want to keep it in the room cooler.

A couple comments: 

- We're not big milk drinkers, but I've noticed cartons of milk (whole, 2%, 1%, skim) available for pick-up. 

- On Grandeur I noticed they had chocolate milk in a big serve-yourself container, and it was kinda ... separated.  Didn't look appealing.  Or maybe it just needed a big shake, but a passenger can't really shake a two gallon server.  I didn't note whether cartons were also available.  

- If expiration dates are a problem (and they are at my house), try buying Ultra-Pasturized.  It lasts more than a month!  Seriously!  It's true!  Walmart offers it in store brand.  

On 2/5/2024 at 10:50 AM, neverbeenhere said:

I don't consume milk, but this is what I found. milk.thumb.jpg.b99fae2d16d40220d7ba46a4f2f1297b.jpg

Hmm, wonder if it state by state.  

My FIL had a grocery store.  So I used to check gthe dates to remove them.  I always liked that sour cream had a sell by.  What's it going do, go sour????

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Hmm, wonder if it state by state.  

My FIL had a grocery store.  So I used to check gthe dates to remove them.  I always liked that sour cream had a sell by.  What's it going do, go sour????

It is by state and most states don't even have a rule for that.   

On 2/1/2024 at 7:59 PM, LeeW said:

On multiple ships have seen both milks in cartons, cant stand the ultra either and at times its all they had onboard

On 2/5/2024 at 8:41 AM, SRF said:

Not for dairy.  Dairy has a "Sell By" date and should be good for 10 days after the Sell By it kept in a fridge at the proper temperature.

Another way to make the cooler work better is to prop the door open.  It moves heat from inside to the outside.  With the door closed, it gets very warm in the enclosure, so the heat moves back into the cooler.

Tested it about 6-7yrs ago on different sailings and door open dropped temp between 4-6 degrees

• 3 weeks later...