Forgot to buy Cruise Next last week!

I forgot to get more Cruise Next last week when on the Epic! I thought I read somewhere that you had 30 days after you disembark to purchase them. Am I wrong?? If I am then I know where I can get some but wondering if there is a way for me to call NCL and purchase some since I just got off the ship?

4 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I forgot to get more Cruise Next last week when on the Epic! I thought I read somewhere that you had 30 days after you disembark to purchase them. Am I wrong?? If I am then I know where I can get some but wondering if there is a way for me to call NCL and purchase some since I just got off the ship?

https://www.ncl.com/cruisefirst-program

just buy some cruisefirst certs from NCL or if you're fixed on cruise next for some reason, buy them re-sale.  Either way, you avoid the gamesmanship of the cruisenext staff 

Edited by dbrown84
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

just buy some cruisefirst certs from NCL or if you're fixed on cruise next for some reason, buy them re-sale.  Either way, you avoid the gamesmanship of the cruisenext staff 

Correct. Plus, if you buy CruiseFirst when they have the $500 for $250 sale, you get to use $500 without jumping through the CruiseNext hoops (waiting for Double-Up, dealing with the OBC issue, etc.)

• Like 2

Just now, schmoopie17 said:

Correct. Plus, if you buy CruiseFirst when they have the $500 for $250 sale, you get to use $500 without jumping through the CruiseNext hoops (waiting for Double-Up, dealing with the OBC issue, etc.)

exactly.  which is why I use cruisefirst exclusively now.  Also, I book inside cabins, so I don't have to wait and hope for the rare double up on any cabin promotion 

• Like 3

I guess I'm the contrarian.  I've never experienced any gamesmanship by the CN staff.  I tell them what I want to buy and they sell them to me.  I always sail inside and have never had a problem waiting for a double-up promo that includes insides.  They certainly aren't "rare."  They come around every month or two.  I don't understand why many posters think that there is an "OBC issue."  I pay $x for CN's and $x/2 dollars are immediately credited to my onboard account and applied against the $x charge for the CN's.

I've bought 32 CN's since July of last year, and 30 are applied as double-ups to future bookings.  If/when prices drop, I can (and have) just call NCL and request a reprice.  I've done it multiple times with double CN's applied and never had any issues.  The Cruise First terms have always suggested that the added value will be lost if this is done with a Cruise First.  Is it lost?  I don't know.  I don't recall seeing posts one way or the other.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I don't understand why many posters think that there is an "OBC issue."  

This board is full of discussions where people struggle with the CruiseNext OBC. Other people have no problems with it. Again...YMMV.

But back to answering the OP's question, it appears that short of buying a CruiseNext on the open market, the only other option is to buy a CruiseFirst.

This board is full of discussions where people struggle with the CruiseNext OBC. Other people have no problems with it. Again...YMMV.

I know.  There are many who simply refuse to understand the very basic process as I outlined in my prior post.  They get fooled into thinking that they have to spend more money on the ship.  That's just smart marketing and, as always, let the buyer beware.  People need to just buy what they want and forget about it.  

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

But back to answering the OP's question, it appears that short of buying a CruiseNext on the open market, the only other option is to buy a CruiseFirst.

There may be the third option mentioned by the OP.  I seem to recall being told by a CN rep (while buying four CNs) that I could call within 30 days after disembarking to buy more.  I haven't done this, so this is why I suggested that the OP just call NCL.  Phone calls are free these days.😎

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I guess I'm the contrarian.  I've never experienced any gamesmanship by the CN staff.  I tell them what I want to buy and they sell them to me.  I always sail inside and have never had a problem waiting for a double-up promo that includes insides.  They certainly aren't "rare."  They come around every month or two.  I don't understand why many posters think that there is an "OBC issue."  I pay $x for CN's and $x/2 dollars are immediately credited to my onboard account and applied against the $x charge for the CN's.

I've bought 32 CN's since July of last year, and 30 are applied as double-ups to future bookings.  If/when prices drop, I can (and have) just call NCL and request a reprice.  I've done it multiple times with double CN's applied and never had any issues.  The Cruise First terms have always suggested that the added value will be lost if this is done with a Cruise First.  Is it lost?  I don't know.  I don't recall seeing posts one way or the other.

yes, Chief.  There really isn't an OBC issue per se, but I'm sure you've seen enough posts on here from folks who feel like they were bamboozled.  I also fully understand that I can just ignore the whole OBC deal, but plenty don't, especially the first time they buy.  So, I believe NCL does this because they know it tricks many.  The could simply sell the CN just like they do the CF, simply say you're spending X to get Y.  And yes, unless you're somewhat stern when you approach the CN staff , they will hit you up like a used car salesperson.  The only reason I go to the desk is to sign up for the platinum benefits.  The immediately go into sales mode and I simply stop them before they can get going

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

And yes, unless you're somewhat stern when you approach the CN staff , they will hit you up like a used car salesperson. 

Yeah.  I've seen this.  Maybe best for the newbies just to avoid it.  But many here are not newbies, and smart enough to understand how the process really works.  Maybe I need to add the following to my signature for efficiency:

25 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I pay $x for CN's and $x/2 dollars are immediately credited to my onboard account and applied against the $x charge for the CN's.

Then I could just post "see my signature."  Of course, then we would deviate into the "What's a signature?  How do I see signatures? What the heck does 'x' mean, I thought they cost $250? etc. discussions).  I'll just keep buying CN's until somebody reports that the new out-sourced process has screwed them up.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The Cruise First terms have always suggested that the added value will be lost if this is done with a Cruise First.  Is it lost?  I don't know.  I don't recall seeing posts one way or the other.

I lean towards CF these days since I buy them when they are $250/$500…and I know I will be booking a cruise in the near future (120+ days).  We have successfully “repriced” a cruise with CF certs…we have not done a cancel/rebook. As long as the Booking Number stays the same, your CF does not drop in value.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, laudergayle said:

We have successfully “repriced” a cruise with CF certs…we have not done a cancel/rebook. As long as the Booking Number stays the same, your CF does not drop in value.

Good to hear. It wouldn't make sense to reprice a cruise if, for example, your cruise dropped $250 and to get the new fare you have to forfeit the additional $250 from the certificate.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I lean towards CF these days since I buy them when they are $250/$500…and I know I will be booking a cruise in the near future (120+ days).  We have successfully “repriced” a cruise with CF certs…we have not done a cancel/rebook. As long as the Booking Number stays the same, your CF does not drop in value.

I have a cruise first. I just cancelled a cruise and was told it would be placed back in my account. 

33 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I have a cruise first. I just cancelled a cruise and was told it would be placed back in my account. 

yes, it would.  The rule that is being questioned is if you were to re-book that same cruise with that same cert, would you lose the extra value of the CF.  The terms and conditions suggest you would

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

yes, it would.  The rule that is being questioned is if you were to re-book that same cruise with that same cert, would you lose the extra value of the CF.  The terms and conditions suggest you would

Thanks. That is what I thought. I really do like the CN over the CF as there are less restrictions imo. Of course, dh is right the opposite. 🤣

• Haha 1

We have been buying the Cruise Next.

Buy $1000, get $2000 and some onboard credit. Onboard Credit unused, went towards the $1000 credit. Making the deal more sweet. CN credits can be doubled for Balcony, are transferable, and dont expire.

If I'm reading the Cruise 1st info properly, you cannot use them on short weekend getaway cruises. Only 6+ day cruises. I don't see a double up option for Balcony and higher staterooms.

And they expire.

I'll stick with the Cruise Next option. 

We'll definitely be purchasing more on our next NCL Cruise. 

Cheers and happy cruising!

Edited by OhioTony

Just a word to the wise - terms recently changed, so what you used to do, what you have done with CN in the past, may no longer be possible.

Specifically suspect is the ability to add a 2nd CN when a double up offer comes around. Hence the comments regarding a preference for getting a $500 CF.

Only time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OhioTony said:

We have been buying the Cruise Next.

Buy $1000, get $2000 and some onboard credit. Onboard Credit unused, went towards the $1000 credit. Making the deal more sweet. CN credits can be doubled for Balcony, are transferable, and dont expire.

If I'm reading the Cruise 1st info properly, you cannot use them on short weekend getaway cruises. Only 6+ day cruises. I don't see a double up option for Balcony and higher staterooms.

And they expire.

I'll stick with the Cruise Next option. 

We'll definitely be purchasing more on our next NCL Cruise. 

Cheers and happy cruising!

Cruise First no longer expire.

CRUISEFIRST CREDITS
FREE $150 WITH CRUISEFIRST
Booking Window: February 1st - February 12th, 2024 11:59 PM EST.

CFC(s) do not expire. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, julig22 said:

Just a word to the wise - terms recently changed, so what you used to do, what you have done with CN in the past, may no longer be possible.

Specifically suspect is the ability to add a 2nd CN when a double up offer comes around. Hence the comments regarding a preference for getting a $500 CF.

Only time will tell.

I just did this a week ago.

Booked the new Aqua on its 1st sailing, Transatlantic positioning from South Hampton to Boston.

Doubled up on a Balcony.

10 hours ago, OhioTony said:

I don't see a double up option for Balcony and higher staterooms.

but the savings is exactly the same.  You can use two CN, when allowed, to save $250 ($500 credit towards your bill).  You can use one CF to save $250 (using a $500 CF).  You don't have to wait for a promo, though.  I'm not suggesting you switch, just wanted to point out that this point isn't really valid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OhioTony said:

I just did this a week ago.

Booked the new Aqua on its 1st sailing, Transatlantic positioning from South Hampton to Boston.

Doubled up on a Balcony.

Did you double up on an existing reservation or did you double up on a new reservation?    

2 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

but the savings is exactly the same.  You can use two CN, when allowed, to save $250 ($500 credit towards your bill).  You can use one CF to save $250 (using a $500 CF).  You don't have to wait for a promo, though.  I'm not suggesting you switch, just wanted to point out that this point isn't really valid

Real-life experience here:

We're on the Jade next month. Couldn't decide which was better...buying a couple CruiseNext on the ship, or buying $500 for the price of $250 during the promotion last month. We had thought that if we could apply stockholder OBC to CruiseNext, it would be a no-brainer. But we since found out you can't.

Ended up going with CruiseFirst. Easy to get the double credit vs. waiting for a Double-Up CruiseNext offer.

And no waiting in line and dealing with the spiel from the staff. (And yes, I understand how the OBC thingy works for CN). Just easier to buy CF and be done with it. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1