Closed Services On Transatlantic Cruise?

MajSteve

I am booked for the Epic's transatlantic cruise in April. Several people with whom I have spoken have said that numerous restaurants, shows, services are closed or severely limited on this type of cruise. Has anyone experienced this situation? Thanks for your assistance!

9 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Never come across that but suppose it might happen if the ship is at a low percentage of capacity.

Low % meaning 98% plus

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MajSteve said:

I am booked for the Epic's transatlantic cruise in April. Several people with whom I have spoken have said that numerous restaurants, shows, services are closed or severely limited on this type of cruise. Has anyone experienced this situation? Thanks for your assistance!

Who are these people you've spoken with and what's the source of their information? We did a transatlantic cruise on the Epic in December 2022 and nothing was closed.

Sailed on Pr1ma's Transatlantic in November. Everything was open as normal.

Not a Transatlantic, but in September 2022, I sailed on Joy when she was at 35% capacity. Everything was open then, as well.

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Sailed on Pr1ma's Transatlantic in November. Everything was open as normal.

Not a Transatlantic, but in September 2022, I sailed on Joy when she was at 35% capacity. Everything was open then, as well.

Thats interesting. Our friends did a transatlantic on the Breakaway in 2018. The ship was right around 40%. They said a number of nights only the main large dining room was open and not the two other smaller ones. She said between the people going to the speciality restaurants and the lower amount of passengers their was still never a wait. She said the service was excellent and fast because they had everyone working in one restaurant

a few scenarios could cause the closure of certain restaurants, shows or attractions that your friends have attributed to being on a transatlantic cruise, when really it has nothing to do with the cruise being transatlantic.

one has already been mentioned and that is reduced capacity... it may not be deemed necessary to open all MDRs if the ship is sailing with low numbers. nothing to do with being a transatlantic per se, although TAs do generally have a smaller number of passengers.

a reason for cancellation of shows could be illness within the cast. i have been on a number of cruises during which shows were canceled (presumably due to COVID).

and yet another reason venues could be closed is that the ship is about to go into or has just completed dry dock and the closed venue is being prepared for construction or being touched up and made whole after dry dock. in that case, yes, it may have happened on a transatlantic, but it has nothing to do with being a transatlantic per se. they just happened to have been on the way to a european dry dock.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

this will be our 1st trans-atlantic cruise  in april. other  than a potential reduced capacity and no need to open all the mdr's, i cant imagine ncl missing a chance to get more money by closing other cash cow services, especially since this is a 17 day cruise

We did a TA on Epic in April 2023.  We were at 98% capacity & everything was open.  The Spiegel Tent wasn't used very much but that was about it.

Now we were on a TA on Getaway in April 2019 when she was going into dry dock immediately afterwards (they cut our TA short by three days bc of this!!).  Parts of the ship were closed off in prep for the dry docking but all the venues were still open.  Cannot recall what our capacity %-age was on that cruise but there were a fair amount; I'd estimate 80% + on that TA.

Have a good cruise!

Edited by tomk3212

21 hours ago, MajSteve said:

We are booked on that same cruise. I just hope we have a smooth crossing. 🙂

21 hours ago, MajSteve said:

... booked for the Epic's transatlantic cruise in April. Several people with whom I have spoken have said that numerous restaurants, shows, services are closed or severely limited on this type of cruise ... 

Welcome to CC ... these generalization ... FWIW, I respectfully disagree.  Were these seasoned cruisers that frequently do TA sailings on NCL ships to make these "numerous" generalization about ... being closed or severely limited ?? to be relied upon for your impression. 

We're on the Epic's April TA (with tomk3212) less than a year ago, NY to Barcelona and also on the Prima's TA last November going in the other direction, neither ships were heading to dry dock for work as part of the scheduled repositioning, or come out of dry dock work - nearly "everything" was open, nothing was closed, ship was at near full capacity (based on double occupancies).  We had almost perfect weather sailing across, calm seas and fair weather, barely rocking or rolling and outdoor decks were almost open at all times.  As noted, Spiegel Tent was not used much as scheduled, both MDR and all of the specialty restaurants were open as scheduled.  There're plenty to do if one choose, aside from having maybe 1 less major production show in the main theater (which we knew prior to sailing & the dates of the show were changed).  We did a live trip report which is linked below ("signature" section) - should give you a good preview of what to expect ... prepare for multiple time zone changes during the passage and the - LOL - Neptune King's ceremony, etc. 

P.S.  Find and join your CC roll call - other cruise vets on the forum.  Don't worry, be happy and rather than being worried about what is not, better prepare to have a great time & experience, especially if this is your first TA and new to cruising.  

• Like 1