Cruises Transiting the Suez Canal

What is the consensus of the CC community regarding a cruise transiting the canal and the Red Sea at this time?  I see an itinerary that I like for October and wonder if it makes sense to book such a cruise at this time.  It seems that at least some cruises are still making or planning to make the transit. 

I guess this is the time, if ever, to buy trip insurance as I am not so much worried about the cruise but of all the other items such as flights.

I don't think it would be a good idea and, additionally, I think insurance companies would take a dim view of coming to your aid if you start booking things ina and around a region with a war in progress.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I don't think it would be a good idea and, additionally, I think insurance companies would take a dim view of coming to your aid if you start booking things ina and around a region with a war in progress.

I agree but, flights not withstanding, I would also be surprised if a cruise line actually would confirm an itinerary that would place one of its ships, passengers, and crew in significant danger.  I would be curious to see if the referenced itinerary gets changed or cancelled over the coming months unless the region regains stability.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would also be surprised if a cruise line actually would confirm an itinerary that would place one of its ships, passengers, and crew in significant danger.

Yes, absolutely.  I think the 'proposed booking' is more on the hypothetical side than the realistic one.

27 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

What is the consensus of the CC community regarding a cruise transiting the canal and the Red Sea at this time?  I see an itinerary that I like for October and wonder if it makes sense to book such a cruise at this time.  It seems that at least some cruises are still making or planning to make the transit. 

They are selling you time on a ship. Where it goes is up in the air. This is generally true (read the small print), but it's much more likely to happen in that region at this time. If it is the itinerary you like, and not just a vacation at that time, you should not book. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would be curious to see if the referenced itinerary gets changed or cancelled over the coming months unless the region regains stability

The ship somehow needs to get from the Med to Singapore later in the year.  I guess they could take it around Africa as an alternative as some of the freighters are doing.  

21 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

They are selling you time on a ship. Where it goes is up in the air.

This is largely true.  My only assumption is that if the cruise's ending port is changed, I would have the option to get a refund.  

22 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think the 'proposed booking' is more on the hypothetical side than the realistic one.

How so?  That the line will cancel it?  This is actually OK by me.  I really only am thinking about the airfare expense being somewhat at risk.

BTW - as you can imagine, the price is really good.

Edited by SelectSys

18 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

How so?  That the line will cancel it? 

Not really.  It's more to do with your statement ... 'I see an itinerary that I like for October and wonder if it makes sense to book such a cruise at this time. '  To me, this would usually imply a desire to actually book the thing but, in this case, I don't believe you have any intention of booking this and that you started this thread solely to draw out commentary.  Bravo! You've succeeded but that's it for me on this one.

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

I guess they could take it around Africa as an alternative as some of the freighters are doing.  

My only assumption is that if the cruise's ending port is changed, I would have the option to get a refund. 

BTW - as you can imagine, the price is really good.

Having the ship go around Africa would be one option, I guess.  Or if that was not feasible and they needed to reposition the ship, they could possibly transit the ship through the canal via a base crew only with no passengers as another.  I honestly don't know but they certainly would not put passengers in harms way.

Not sure about any refund because the ending port changes.  That would depend on the booking contract's fine print, I guess, but port and itinerary changes happen all the time due to weather and other issues and typically only port fees and taxes are refunded for any ports missed.  Sometimes a goodwill gesture of a discount on a future cruise would be offered.

The low fare would most likely be a result of this being a repositioning cruise, and not related to the region or the current issues being faced there. Most repositioning cruises are attractively priced.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

I don't believe you have any intention of booking this and that you started this thread solely to draw out commentary. 

Actually. the date coincides with a milestone anniversary event for my spouse and I.  That is why I was looking for something.  I was also looking for an itinerary that includes places we have never been previously.  This includes Dubai which is the ending port for the specific cruise as well as transiting the Suez Canal.  

49 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Having the ship go around Africa would be one option, I guess.  Or if that was not feasible and they needed to reposition the ship, they could possibly transit the ship through the canal via a base crew only with no passengers as another. 

Maybe it will become a deadhead transit without guests.  I have done some more searching since and found this story:

https://maritime-executive.com/article/more-cruises-cancel-red-sea-electing-to-deadhead-around-africa

Since both MSC and the Royal Caribbean Group are taking this approach, it does seem that cruises in this area are indeed suspect to even happen right now.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

Maybe it will become a deadhead transit without guests.  I have done some more searching since and found this story:

https://maritime-executive.com/article/more-cruises-cancel-red-sea-electing-to-deadhead-around-africa

Since both MSC and the Royal Caribbean Group are taking this approach, it does seem that cruises in this area are indeed suspect to even happen right now.

That would seem to make sense.  Still some time before the itinerary you reference, so anything can happen.  But that also gives the cruise line a lot of time to plan for any contingency and work around any additional delays resulting from sailing around Africa.  Maybe an itinerary in advance may need changed or cancelled, or something along those lines, but ship and crew safety will obviously trump all else.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

4 hours ago, crystalspin said:

They are selling you time on a ship. Where it goes is up in the air. This is generally true (read the small print), but it's much more likely to happen in that region at this time. If it is the itinerary you like, and not just a vacation at that time, you should not book. 

I'm in agreement with the above. Any itinerary including the Suez Canal/Red Sea is more than likely best considered a placeholder for now. High likelihood of change.

In addition to the other concerns already raised, the ships themselves represent a huge capital investment. If things are hot enough over there, I don't see any way the insurers of the ships would allow them to transit such an area. 

3 hours ago, SelectSys said:

The ship somehow needs to get from the Med to Singapore later in the year.  I guess they could take it around Africa as an alternative as some of the freighters are doing.  

Some of the ongoing world cruises have taken that decision. Of course, the transit around Africa takes longer, so on a shorter cruise, they have to consider the potential impact to a following cruise as well.

3 hours ago, SelectSys said:

This is largely true.  My only assumption is that if the cruise's ending port is changed, I would have the option to get a refund.  

Maybe, maybe not. Especially if you are in the USA where there are few consumer protections. It would basically come down to making sure you have insurance that covers all the likely bases. Look closely at coverage in the potential case of acts of war and acts of terrorism (some policies do not cover). Also, if you wanted to have "cancel for any reason" coverage, understand that "any" reason may vary based on the policy -- some things may not covered.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

It would basically come down to making sure you have insurance that covers all the likely bases. Look closely at coverage in the potential case of acts of war and acts of terrorism (some policies do not cover).

That's a really good point.  Lots of contracts that I delt with when working had "force majeure" exclusions.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Of course, the transit around Africa takes longer, so on a shorter cruise, they have to consider the potential impact to a following cruise as well.

The next cruise goes from Dubai to Singapore in 14 days and the one I am interested in has 15 days to get from Civitavecchia to Dubai.  Maybe 29 days is enough time to go around Africa to Singapore without port stops. 

Here are the cruises in question for anyone interested:

image.thumb.png.897dd6847b8b6dd69892ae74f6835a2e.png

image.thumb.png.0c3ad142af1bc0beba81ff85c5b27300.png

Edited by SelectSys

18 hours ago, SelectSys said:

What is the consensus of the CC community regarding a cruise transiting the canal and the Red Sea at this time? 

To that basic question, I personally would not book a cruise with a war zone itinerary.  All the other considerations would be secondary for me.  

15 hours ago, SelectSys said:

The next cruise goes from Dubai to Singapore in 14 days and the one I am interested in has 15 days to get from Civitavecchia to Dubai.  Maybe 29 days is enough time to go around Africa to Singapore without port stops. 

Example .... at 18 knots. (Dubai is 5 days less)

Screenshot_20240208_184427_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by MBP&O2/O
  • Like 1

@MBP&O2/O - that's a cool calculator!  It certainly looks feasible to make the trip only canceling two cruises assuming there are a couple of locations along the way for refueling.  I can't imagine the ship can travel 11566 nautical miles without taking on additional fuel.  Since there really isn't time to make an extra port stops, I would bet that it will be done without passengers if the cruises are cancelled.

Speculation, but if it concerns Anthem, the more likely scenario if Suez is closed is that she sails directly from Southampton to Dubai - the two current legs are 12 + 15 days.
Sailing distance south of Africa is approx. 20 days (22 knots) - this gives plenty of time also for bunkering.

9 hours ago, hallasm said:
9 hours ago, hallasm said:

Speculation, but if it concerns Anthem, the more likely scenario if Suez is closed is that she sails directly from Southampton to Dubai - the two current legs are 12 + 15 days.
Sailing distance south of Africa is approx. 20 days (22 knots) - this gives plenty of time also for bunkering.

It used to take us 30 days .. ish ... for a UK to Arabian Gulf run. Obviously depended on where from and where too. We used a starting speed of 15 knots.

Circa 15 days to the CoGH and same again to the Gulf. 

Bunkering in the Gulf took 8 hrs. No need to stop for fuel en route.

Same timings coming back unless we were told to travel at economical cruising speed. Ie shut down one boiler, speed reduced to 11/12 knots ... 40 + days then 😵‍💫

As an aside I can see all Gulf Ports being removed from all schedules. Getting too risky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a number of  cruise ships are on world cruises at the moment which have the Red Sea and the canal as part of the itinerary. I think waiting to see what the companies concerned decide to do will give a good indication of what will happen to future planned itineraries. 

We are starting to feel incredibly fortunate to have passed through the Red Sea and the canal on a world cruise some years ago, it remains a highlight among our travel experiences. 

10 minutes ago, sleepingcat said:

a number of  cruise ships are on world cruises at the moment which have the Red Sea and the canal as part of the itinerary. I think waiting to see what the companies concerned decide to do will give a good indication of what will happen to future planned itineraries. 

We are starting to feel incredibly fortunate to have passed through the Red Sea and the canal on a world cruise some years ago, it remains a highlight among our travel experiences. 

You might want to check out postings from this past week -- a number of the world cruises just announced "new" itineraries that avoid the Red Sea and the Suez -- including (I believe) all of the Carnival lines with ships doing world cruises, as well as some of the specialty lines.

• Like 3

I would hope all are being diverted.  I don't think anyone should want to vacation in a war zone where noncombatants on a cruise ship might be viewed as attractive targets.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I would hope all are being diverted.  I don't think anyone should want to vacation in a war zone where noncombatants on a cruise ship might be viewed as attractive targets.  

Who can forget the terrorists on the Achille Lauro and the killing of that poor man?  I sure can’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Virgin Voyages is the latest cruise line to announce it will reroute a ship around Africa instead of attempting to pass through the Red Sea and the Suez Canal. 

The line has changed three itineraries as it reroutes the Resilient Lady to the Mediterranean, beginning with its 15-day March 27 sailing from Sydney to Singapore, its 14-day April 11 sailing from Singapore to Dubai and its 14-day April 25 sailing from Dubai to Athens. 

The ship will instead depart from Sydney on a new route that will include extended time at sea with calls in Eden and Fremantle (Perth), Australia; Port Louis, Mauritius Islands; Durban and Cape Town, South Africa; Walvis Bay, Namibia; Praia, Cape Verde; Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain; Casablanca, Morocco; Barcelona; Valletta, Malta; and Santorini and Piraeus (Athens), Greece.  

Guests on any of the three former sailings will have guaranteed spots on the new sailing at no additional cost. Guests who do not wish to sail the new itinerary can receive a future voyage credit based on their paid balance or a full refund. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, little britain said:

Virgin Voyages is the latest cruise line to announce it will reroute a ship around Africa instead of attempting to pass through the Red Sea and the Suez Canal. 

The line has changed three itineraries as it reroutes the Resilient Lady…

Guests on any of the three former sailings will have guaranteed spots on the new sailing at no additional cost. Guests who do not wish to sail the new itinerary can receive a future voyage credit based on their paid balance or a full refund. 

That’s a very generous offer from Virgin Voyages in my opinion.  “Hats off” to them.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:54 PM, little britain said:

The line has changed three itineraries as it reroutes the Resilient Lady to the Mediterranean, beginning with its 15-day March 27 sailing from Sydney to Singapore, its 14-day April 11 sailing from Singapore to Dubai and its 14-day April 25 sailing from Dubai to Athens. 

The ship will instead depart from Sydney on a new route that will include extended time at sea with calls in Eden and Fremantle (Perth), Australia; Port Louis, Mauritius Islands; Durban and Cape Town, South Africa; Walvis Bay, Namibia; Praia, Cape Verde; Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain; Casablanca, Morocco; Barcelona; Valletta, Malta; and Santorini and Piraeus (Athens), Greece.  

Royal Caribbean’s Serenade of the Seas also has Singapore to Dubai and Dubai to Athens segments in April and May on its World Cruise. RCI is supposed to reveal its new plans on Feb. 16. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1