Done with Celebrity

Topless23

8 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

In fairness though, it wasnt founded until 1995 as a feature of AOL and certainly would have taken sometime to really build into something. 

Yes, as a nightly chat.  I remember it well.  😊

11 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Just off Ascent in a Sky Suite, zero charges for room service..used around 5 times…

Suites don't pay a charge for room service. So that tracks.

17 hours ago, doghog said:

I can believe it. Our first cruise was in 1991. Didn't hear or know anything about CC until 2001(10 years  later) when I accidently fat fingered a google search. 

I make you look like an early adopter;  our first cruise was 1996 joined CC 2018!

I was rather miffed that I booked my cruise before they had the room service charge and when I cruised the room service charge had been added.  Seems like a bit of bait and switch to me.  Not a good business practice IMHO.

All Included on Celebrity is not close to All Included anymore.  Between that and the upcharges for the wine and all of the receipts I had to sign it was an annoyance.  Celebrity is not what they used to be.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I was rather miffed that I booked my cruise before they had the room service charge and when I cruised the room service charge had been added.  Seems like a bit of bait and switch to me.  Not a good business practice IMHO.

All Included on Celebrity is not close to All Included anymore.  Between that and the upcharges for the wine and all of the receipts I had to sign it was an annoyance.  Celebrity is not what they used to be.

Thank you for your post.

I sailed Celebrity from 2001 to 2018, when they substantially changed. Celebrity used to be the Premium cruise line of the day - Celebrity was essentially the Oceania of the day - I say this as I left Celebrity and moved to Oceania.

The product Celebrity provided in the past is very similar to the Oceania product of today, right down to the high tea in the forward upper lounge.

Management of Celebrity decided to go downwards into the mass cruise line configuration with a slightly different product than RCL - their choice. 

But then, none of the cruise lines (hotels, restaurants etc) are as good as they were post covid and it is important to recognize that. Many I know, do not cruise much anymore and they have, like me, moved travel $ to other vacation options.

As a consumer, YOU come first, not the cruise line.

It is your $, not theirs. 

Take care and your analysis is important.

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2024 at 4:48 PM, zitsky said:

I suspect someone is calling a regular cabin a suite.  All kinds of wrong info out there.  I was in a conversation recently with someone who told us that their TA said their concierge cabin came with a "butler", their words.  I had to explain to them the difference between concierge and a suite.

There is so much misinformation out there, even sometimes from TAs…Really it can be a minefield for those who don’t do their homework. Definitely not helped by Celebrity not clearly informing guests of changes either.

Some years ago we spoke to a lovely elderly couple who had been told if they booked an Aqua room they had access to the Retreat deck. Much as the Equinox retreat deck isn’t up to much they had clearly been looking forward to it. On Silhouette we met a couple who thought they had booked suite because their TA had told them they had one of the ‘top veranda rooms’ on the ship. It wasn’t until they tried boarding at the suite entrance that they understood the difference.

I remember trying out a new TA some years ago and asked for a quote for an Eclipse cruise in the PH. The TA came back to me and said she had managed to get me an upgrade to a RS at a great price! What? It took a long conversation before she believed me that PH was bigger than a RS. Her information came from being on RC Freedom of the Seas where the top suite was the RS…

I guess this is why CC is sooooo useful. I believe CC far more than the Celebrity website or TAs… 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 4:35 AM, bikerunner said:

'Suite passengers still get complimentary room services.   Aqua rooms and below do not." 

We were in a suite when we got onboard, but the morning of day 2, we upgraded to a vacant Penthouse. After inspecting it and meeting the butler, we both agreed that he (the butler) would be superfluous and told him we didn't need his services. Thus we should have still received free food service in both the suite and/or the Penthouse, but got neither. BTW, the 14 day cruise in the Penthouse was a $1000 paid upgrade through GS

"i would not want it wrapped into price as i never use room service".

After 66 cruises, we both decided we prefer having a sandwich or  salad/soup and drinks served in the cabin midday to unwinding comfortably after a morning onshore. The dining room is too stuffy at noon and the buffet is always too crowded. 

On 2/8/2024 at 7:03 AM, Veinless said:

The way Celebrity keeps changing its policy you never know what may have been in effect. Maybe a butler rental fee lol

On the morning of day 2, the wife went to GS desk and asked if there were any higher level cabins available. It turned out to be good timing, as a guest staying in a Penthouse had failed to make the ship. Wife took a look at the Penthouse and worked out a $1000 upgrade with the woman at GS. They moved all our bags and clothing to the Penthouse. We both met with the Butler, but decided we didn't need his services (and he was the snottiest butler ever). So we were in a Penthouse for the balance of the 13 days left. Penthouse customers are supposed to be exempt from food delivery fees, but we were charged anyway.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:08 AM, Torfamm said:

To be fair, Princess charges a one time $15 activation fee to use their app to order food or drinks. Both fees are waived if the passenger has the Plus or Premier package.

We were on Emerald in a aft corner suite E732. an S6 category and were not charged the $15 initial FS app fee. This was #18 on Princess and our 4th time full transiting through the Panama canal, but the first time through the new set of larger locks. After experiencing some lesser service on Princess (pre covid) we thought we'd give them one more try and had pre booked while onboard the prior cruise, specifically to experience the new Panama canal locks system. Glad we did. Princess has done a huge upgrade in staffing, food service quality and overall service levels.

During this transit, we met the Captain 4 different times, in the private dining room for higher level customers, in the buffet (twice) and in the steakhouse. He was open and chatty. Unfortunately, none of the items I wanted to check off my todo list (visit the bridge, visit the engineering spaces, visit the kitchen) as all have been removed as options due to MARSEC rules. We also were a day late in trying to purchase a BtB return trip. These now have to be booked and paid for 72 hours in advance. 

On 2/8/2024 at 6:55 AM, CruisersTimesThree said:

6 months late? You say you cruised in Feb of 2023?

Mid Feb to early March

Unfortunately there had to be some miscommunication onboard your sailing. Yes, Celebrity now charges a room service delivery fee (except for continental breakfast) but suites are excluded from that fee and you said you were in an aft suite.

We started out in an aft suite, but upgraded to a Penthouse on day 2.

You were given wrong info which is not surprising as Celebrity has tried too many different changes at once which in turn confused many crew members. 

I'm sure that may have been part of it, but in talking with Celebrity execs post cruise, I was informed it's now for everyone on every ship, no matter what level cabin you may be in

On 2/8/2024 at 8:58 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

and by a brand new poster. With an interesting name for a supposedly mature adult.

Well, I'm 72. Wife is 70. I think that makes up "mature"

BTW, the posting name refers to my 23rd convertible Corvette, now replaced by #24 (and that is #58 new Corvette). At least 1 new one every year since my 19th birthday in 1969. No kids, so lots of cars

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Topless23 said:

Penthouse customers are supposed to be exempt from food delivery fees, but we were charged anyway.

Your butler could have fixed this for you had you not fired him. I'm sorry you were unhappy with your cruise but I have to say it sounds like some of this was self-inflicted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Topless23 said:

Well, I'm 72. Wife is 70. I think that makes up "mature"

BTW, the posting name refers to my 23rd convertible Corvette, now replaced by #24 (and that is #58 new Corvette). At least 1 new one every year since my 19th birthday in 1969. No kids, so lots of cars

Corvette?  Is that anything like a Camaro?  I always get them confused.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Topless23 said:

25 minutes ago, Topless23 said:

I'm sure that may have been part of it, but in talking with Celebrity execs post cruise, I was informed it's now for everyone on every ship, no matter what level cabin you may be in

Whoever you are speaking to at Celebrity that claims to be an executive does not know what they are talking about! Suite passengers DO NOT pay the room service fee!