About Carry On Wine??

Another new to NCL question. We will be carrying on two bottles of wine, one in each of our carry-on bags. We have the drink package so I understand that we will not be charged the corkage fee upon boarding. Must we declare the wine as we go through security, seeing as how the security folks are not NCL, do they send you somewhere else to to have it checked ? If so, wondering how time consuming the process can be.

51 minutes ago, kittymamma said:

Another new to NCL question. We will be carrying on two bottles of wine, one in each of our carry-on bags. We have the drink package so I understand that we will not be charged the corkage fee upon boarding. Must we declare the wine as we go through security, seeing as how the security folks are not NCL, do they send you somewhere else to to have it checked ? If so, wondering how time consuming the process can be.

No need to declare it, they may ask you to go to the corkage desk if they spot it during the security scan, if they do the corkage desk will just ask to see your card and wave you through if you have the drinks package.

• Like 2

It honestly depends on the embarkation port. When we did our Canada trip leaving out of NY we had a ton of stuff with us as we didn't have to fly anywhere. Had some in our checked bags, some in our carry on. Went through security and they didn't say a word to us.

At other ports we've had it in our checked bags and I usually wrap a note around the bottles saying "we've got the drink plan, please don't take my wine" partly as a joke, and partly being serious. They'll check for themselves anyway, but we've never had an issue or had to declare anything at embarkation. At the ports of call, when coming back on the ship they'll stop you to see your room key to confirm you have the package, and then you keep going on your way. Only the liquor bottles will be held at ports of call if you purchase any on land. Wine and beer are yours to take to the room.

33 minutes ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Does this apply to the Free at Sea drink package or only the premium one?

Then I would be able to bring my wine on board and keep it in my cabin for drinking?

Yes, applies to Free at Sea package.  You can keep the wine in your cabin.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

It honestly depends on the embarkation port. When we did our Canada trip leaving out of NY we had a ton of stuff with us as we didn't have to fly anywhere. Had some in our checked bags, some in our carry on. Went through security and they didn't say a word to us.

At other ports we've had it in our checked bags and I usually wrap a note around the bottles saying "we've got the drink plan, please don't take my wine" partly as a joke, and partly being serious. They'll check for themselves anyway, but we've never had an issue or had to declare anything at embarkation. At the ports of call, when coming back on the ship they'll stop you to see your room key to confirm you have the package, and then you keep going on your way. Only the liquor bottles will be held at ports of call if you purchase any on land. Wine and beer are yours to take to the room.

Depends on the port of call. On my TA they couldn’t even be bothered in some ports. People just walking on with bags of bottles of port (the alcohol). I was ready to turn mine over but they weren’t even there to take it.

4 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Depends on the port of call. On my TA they couldn’t even be bothered in some ports. People just walking on with bags of bottles of port (the alcohol). I was ready to turn mine over but they weren’t even there to take it.

Same on my TA the country’s version of TSA was doing the checks and you could bring on any types of soda booze etc. In fact duty free was open past the checkpoint with lots of liquids 

13 hours ago, kittymamma said:

Great info...thx.

If you put it in your checked bag, it may get flagged and sent to the naughty room. You will spend [a lot] of time in a [long] lime getting it from security on the first night of your cruise. The port rent-a-cops and ship’s security are not TSA and do not have pass keys. They just take bags with contraband and pile it in the naughty room. When you show up, they search through your bag on the floor. Then you will need to repack so you can get your bag to your cabin. 

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you put it in your checked bag, it may get flagged and sent to the naughty room. You will spend [a lot] of time in a [long] lime getting it from security on the first night of your cruise. The port rent-a-cops and ship’s security are not TSA and do not have pass keys. They just take bags with contraband and pile it in the naughty room. When you show up, they search through your bag on the floor. Then you will need to repack so you can get your bag to your cabin. 

Have you even seen the naughty room?  It doesn’t work that way at all. There 9s rarely a line. It is a quick thing. You open your bag get out what they want to see and you are on your way. Nothing is done on the floor, it is all on tables..

29 minutes ago, sjmbruce said:

So my husband and I can each bring on a bottle of wine but we'll have to pay a corkage fee even if we intend to drink it in our cabin?

You can bring as many bottles as you wish.  If you have a drinks package, the corkage fee is waived.  if you do not have a drinks package, then you pay a corkage fee regardless of where you drink the wine (or even if you do not drink the wine).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sjmbruce said:

So my husband and I can each bring on a bottle of wine but we'll have to pay a corkage fee even if we intend to drink it in our cabin?

If you have FAS you can bring in unlimited wine to drink anywhere, no charge. If you don’t have the FAS you can bring on unlimited wine, $15 per bottle, to drink anywhere.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:43 AM, zqvol said:

Have you even seen the naughty room?  It doesn’t work that way at all. There 9s rarely a line. It is a quick thing. You open your bag get out what they want to see and you are on your way. Nothing is done on the floor, it is all on tables..

Yup. Been there several times on several different classes of ships. And each time, there was a long line. And each time, there were no tables, it was just an open storage area without tables. At least the times we were there, the cause of the lines/delays was that there was one person from security serially going through and looking for contraband. We have never had any contraband, which made the "search" longer. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 2/11/2024 at 9:32 PM, JandC_Cruising said:

You can bring as many bottles as you wish.  If you have a drinks package, the corkage fee is waived.  if you do not have a drinks package, then you pay a corkage fee regardless of where you drink the wine (or even if you do not drink the wine).

It was my understanding that the corkage fee is waived if you have the drinks package but you can only consume the wine in your room. If you choose to consume it in the dining room then you pay a corkage free.  Correct me if I'm wrong

3 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

It was my understanding that the corkage fee is waived if you have the drinks package but you can only consume the wine in your room. If you choose to consume it in the dining room then you pay a corkage free.  Correct me if I'm wrong

I don’t think you do if you have the FAS.

55 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

You're wrong.

22 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Corkage fee would be charged at the time you bring it on. Where you choose to drink it is up to you. For us, we like to save our brought on wine for in the room since we can get drinks outside of it with no problem. It's inside the room on our balcony that we can't get it - so we have it ready in the cabin for when we want a late night top off.