Bahamas rears its ugly head

Just now, mz-s said:

It's in the article.

I read three articles on this subject and none mentioned the name of the ship, only "Carnival." That's why I'm asking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I read three articles on this subject and none mentioned the name of the ship, only "Carnival." That's why I'm asking.

You must not have read the one OP linked to.

• Like 1

Just now, AllgoodOnTheRoad said:

Carnival Elation 

THANK YOU! It's nice when someone just answers the question straight out. I appreciate it. And I feel terrible for these two ladies. What a horrific experience!

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, mz-s said:

It has nothing to do with the Elation other than that's how those ladies got to Freeport that day.

This resort IS a Carnival Excursion. They went privately (cheaper), but it is enough that Carnival will have to shell out some money. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with Carnival and I'm sure it WAS on every ships excursion list. Tag....Carnival is it! Had they booked through ship......holy hell!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

This resort IS a Carnival Excursion. They went privately (cheaper), but it is enough that Carnival will have to shell out some money. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with Carnival and I'm sure it WAS on every ships excursion list. Tag....Carnival is it! Had they booked through ship......holy hell!

Where in the article did it say Carnival owes the ladies something? Or is that just speculation?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Where in the article did it say Carnival owes the ladies something? Or is that just speculation?

I am purely speculating that there will be an out of court, go away, settlement. Or the publicity will go on and on and on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I am purely speculating that there will be an out of court, go away, settlement. Or the publicity will go on and on and on.

I really doubt that. Carnival has zero responsibility for your safety once you walk off the gangway - whether you're on a Carnival organized tour or not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It is very unfortunate what happened to these two ladies.  I am glad the perpetrators have been arrested. The Bahamas should prosecute them to the full extent. Criminal activity in the Bahamas is why I do not like any itinerary that includes Freeport or Nassau. This has been discussed many times on CC. These ports have their fans, but I am definitely not one and will try my best to not include either port on future cruises. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

It is very unfortunate what happened to these two ladies.  I am glad the perpetrators have been arrested. The Bahamas should prosecute them to the full extent. Criminal activity in the Bahamas is why I do not like any itinerary that includes Freeport or Nassau. This has been discussed many times on CC. These ports have their fans, but I am definitely not one and will try my best to not include either port on future cruises. 

These stops certainly are not prepackaged resort days like Perfect Day or Princess Cay, that's for sure.

Things like this are one of the many reasons that the mainstream lines are preferring proprietary ports more and more. Better guest experience. Oh and the fact that they keep all your dollars is just a side benefit obviously. Haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the article that my daughter sent me yesterday, the women are upset with Carnival (the ship) for not announcing that a warning had been issued for the Bahamas.  This issue was made while they were cruising. 

My adult daughter is worried.  We will be on the Sunshine going to Nassau and Freeport in a few weeks.  I told my daughter, and her sister, that as long as we all stay together, do not drink onshore, and stay in well populated areas, we will be fine.  My grandchildren will also be along.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I never leave the port area in Nassau and Freeport.  I have always heard it wasn't safe.  I didn't read the articles, I wondering if these ladies were seasoned cruisers. 

14 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

From the article that my daughter sent me yesterday, the women are upset with Carnival (the ship) for not announcing that a warning had been issued for the Bahamas.  This issue was made while they were cruising. 

My adult daughter is worried.  We will be on the Sunshine going to Nassau and Freeport in a few weeks.  I told my daughter, and her sister, that as long as we all stay together, do not drink onshore, and stay in well populated areas, we will be fine.  My grandchildren will also be along.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Yes definitely stay together, don't wander off on your own, and stay in the tourist areas.

• Like 1

Same goes for Detroit, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Seattle, Portland...pretty much any major city in the US these days. Unless you live in Mayberry next to Andy Griffith.

While I feel awful for these women, I am not sure how Carnival would have any liability here. They were on their own, not on an organized tour. Also, the Bahamas and Jamaica have been known to be somewhat unsafe for a while now. So has most of the major islands in the Caribbean along with Mexico. Are airlines responsible if you buy a ticket and travel to a country with a travel advisory and something happens to you? Of course not. It is on the individual traveler.

I feel terrible for these ladies, but starting to point fingers at someone else for cupability is a bit ludicrous.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

That's terrible and sad.

Makes me rethink the Pirates Cove excursion for family and friends, it's still offered by Carnival and we have it booked for a large group in the summer. 

I remember it being a beer in the cooler (sealed cans of bush crack, bush crack light) and the bar serving the bahama mama by the cup from a large container.  Self service only. 

3 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

Given this language in the cruise contract, I doubt it:

(a) In consideration for the fare paid, it is agreed that Carnival shall not be held vicariously liable for the intentional or negligent acts of any persons not employed by Carnival nor for any intentional or negligent acts of Carnival’s employees committed while off duty or outside the course and scope of their employment. Passenger assumes the risk of injury, death, illness or other loss and Carnival is not responsible for the negligence or wrongdoing of any independent contractors or sub-contractors.

• Like 6

That's absolutely terrible and I hope the victims are okay. Unfortunately crime is a reality, which means we all must be vigilant. 

I just don't see how Carnival would or could be culpable here though. They are 2 adults who made the decision to go on a private excursion with no one else, and in a country like Bahamas where impoverished conditions are rampant and criminal/gang activity run afoot as a result. This should never have happened to those girls, but also they shouldn't have gone by themselves. It is therefore on them in this situation. They should have known better.

People need to stop throwing blame around and start taking some responsibility for their own decisions and actions. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

I just don't see how Carnival would or could be culpable here though. They are 2 adults who made the decision to go on a private excursion with no one else, and in a country like Bahamas where impoverished conditions are rampant and criminal/gang activity run afoot as a result. This should never have happened to those girls, but also they shouldn't have gone by themselves. It is therefore on them in this situation. They should have known better.

People need to stop throwing blame around and start taking some responsibility for their own decisions and actions. 

This kind of thing never happens in a civilized place like Las Vegas, except every day of the year.

• Haha 2