10% Off 2024 Cruises

BaldingCruiser

I have received a promotion from Cunard for 10% off of 2024 cruises if booked before 12 February. I booked a cruise in January and missed out on the discount. I have contacted both my agent and Cunard direct to ask for the discount but have been turned down (it does say ...may not be applied retrospectively to existing bookings).

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of getting these discounts applied to their bookings in the past and if so how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

6 minutes ago, BaldingCruiser said:

I have received a promotion from Cunard for 10% off of 2024 cruises if booked before 12 February. I booked a cruise in January and missed out on the discount. I have contacted both my agent and Cunard direct to ask for the discount but have been turned down (it does say ...may not be applied retrospectively to existing bookings).

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of getting these discounts applied to their bookings in the past and if so how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

It is so annoying when that happens. Just like when they have a 25% of all wine offer at the supermarket the week after you have stocked up, if less financially disastrous. Just out of interest, are the prices the same? 

If you are UK based then there isn't much you can directly do about this. As with many areas of life, prices can go down during sale periods and they primarily benefit people who are enticed to make a booking that they otherwise would not make. Rather than giving more discount to someone already committed. 

There are 4 things you can do. Firstly, do a cool estimate of (e.g.) rebooking under the new rate, even if it means losing your deposit. Secondly, a variant, move that deposit to another voyage altogether and start with a new booking (assuming that 2 bookings are affordable). Thirdly you can look at perhaps upgrading your existing booking to a better stateroom, leveraging the reduced rates to make it better value to you. In my experience the last tactic is a bit hit or miss, but I have been able to recover at least some benefit, perhaps half, in this scenario. Finally, the costs are coming down, and staterooms are not filled then have a search on Plusgrade in this board to see how the paid upgrades work - a reduction in fares is a harbinger to good Plusgrade options.

I should point out that because fares are dynamic they can easily reduce by a great deal more than 10% just via good-old Supply and Demand balancing. Depends on how popular your voyage is in the market place.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Cunard is unique from other cruise lines in that you must cancel and rebook to change the promo (Rate Code).

Be aware that may lose amenities like OBC when canceling and rebooking.

In the US , your deposit can be reapplied to your new booking. Not sure about other countries?

3 hours ago, MCC retired said:

Unfortunately Cunard is unique from other cruise lines in that you must cancel and rebook to change the promo (Rate Code).

Be aware that may lose amenities like OBC when canceling and rebooking.

In the US , your deposit can be reapplied to your new booking. Not sure about other countries?

And since you get a new booking reference with cancel/rebook, you need to rebook all excursions, dinner/spa reservations etc. 

8 hours ago, BaldingCruiser said:

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi @BaldingCruiser, would you mind letting me know what the email subject said? I get so much marketing materials from Cunard that I'm afraid I missed this promotion if I qualified. Thanks

31 minutes ago, newbie202020 said:

Hi @BaldingCruiser, would you mind letting me know what the email subject said? I get so much marketing materials from Cunard that I'm afraid I missed this promotion if I qualified. Thanks

I suspect I got the same email, dated 8 February 2024 and sent from

sailaway@cunard.com

and I suspect it's for UK residents.

The text says

The Cunard 10% sale ends soon*

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimg1.niftyimages.

Dear Mr Pushpit, as our exclusive sale draws to a close, don't miss out on the opportunity to experience Cunard for less with incredible savings on our 2024 voyages.

Explore tropical islands in the Caribbean, take in Alaska’s jaw‑dropping glacial landscapes or discover the rich culture and history of the Mediterranean. Whether you seek adventure or relaxation, Cunard voyages promise new horizons, and memories that will last a lifetime.

The small print says:

*Book any 2024 voyage included in the ‘10% off 2024 voyages’ offer (“Offer”) between 1 F‌ebruary 20‌24 and 12 F‌ebruary 20‌24 to take advantage of reductions to our Cunard Fares and Early Saver Fares. Offer applies to cruise fares only and does not apply to flights and holiday package add-ons elements of advertised voyages. Advertised 10% discount based on a reduction from the lowest fare available between 18 J‌anuary and 31 J‌anuary 20‌24. Offer discount has already been applied to prices displayed here and on our website. Offer applies to new bookings only and may not be applied retrospectively to existing bookings. The Offer is combinable with new Cunard Fare bookings eligible for the ‘Up to triple on board spending money’ offer live between 19 D‌ecember 20‌23 and 4 M‌arch 20‌24. Voyages included in the Offer are subject to availability and may change at any time. H413 (The British Isles Festival Voyage) and H411N (Queen Anne Maiden) are excluded from this offer. Cunard reserves the right to amend or withdraw this Offer at any time.

• Thanks 1

We found ourselves in a similar position and can maybe reassure you that you got the best price in Jan.  

We tried to book the day before the 10% deal came out- which of course we had no idea about. The only reason the sale did not go through was because Cunard’s system was playing up.  The customer service assistant effectively held our cabins and said we would be contacted for payment the next day by head office.  Saw the deal next day and phoned Cunard to apply the 10% discount. Thank goodness the old booking was not deleted as when the operator created the new booking, the price WITH the discount was MORE than before!  The explanation given was the fluid nature of the pricing system.  Sharp practice in my opinion, as I’m sure in UK prices have to remain at a price for a certain amount of time before discount is applied.  They basically hiked the base fare to then lure people with sale price? Operator did not seem surprised.  Luckily we were able to revert to previous booking.  

• Like 1

Not sharp practice, the term is 'dynamic pricing' and yes prices go up and down and I don't think the company hiked the prices just to offer a discount.

A cabin we have booked went up a couple of weeks after we booked it [which we did on past passengers' booking day]. On sale, it was still more than we paid.

It happens.

The 

1 hour ago, Blondy51 said:

We found ourselves in a similar position and can maybe reassure you that you got the best price in Jan.  

We tried to book the day before the 10% deal came out- which of course we had no idea about. The only reason the sale did not go through was because Cunard’s system was playing up.  The customer service assistant effectively held our cabins and said we would be contacted for payment the next day by head office.  Saw the deal next day and phoned Cunard to apply the 10% discount. Thank goodness the old booking was not deleted as when the operator created the new booking, the price WITH the discount was MORE than before!  The explanation given was the fluid nature of the pricing system.  Sharp practice in my opinion, as I’m sure in UK prices have to remain at a price for a certain amount of time before discount is applied.  They basically hiked the base fare to then lure people with sale price? Operator did not seem surprised.  Luckily we were able to revert to previous booking.  

The discount on my cruise is genuine it’s £600less than I paid in August . I could book in Britannia Club for the same cost as a mid aft balcony on Q A booking today, but that’s life I was happy with the price I signed up for. Booking early a year out is always going to run the  risk of potential lower prices. My daughter also booked a QG cabin today on QV and definitely 10% cheaper than when she last looked a month ago . Whenever we check a cruise we screen shot the price so we can track any movement in prices. All cruise lines use dynamic or fluid pricing. 

Edited by Winifred 22

3 hours ago, Blondy51 said:

Sharp practice in my opinion, as I’m sure in UK prices have to remain at a price for a certain amount of time before discount is applied

The small print in the offer is -

Advertised 10% discount based on a reduction from the lowest fare available between 18 J‌anuary and 31 J‌anuary 20‌24. 

We booked on the 31 Jan - Cunard system failed - but cabins secured. On 1st Feb 10 % discount appeared and new price, with discount applied- higher than day before.  Seems not right to me, but in no position to argue. 

I just saw that my June Alaska price dropped quite a lot and I called Cunard this AM and the very nice rep (Lou) “refinanced” my voyage with same booking reference, terms, OBC, and I did not have to rebook dining and excursion reservations. 
I have refinanced twice so far and, in PG, cut about $1,500 my original fare. 

This sounds all too good to be true! I’ve only used TA’s before and never got these fare deductions. 

Edited by NE John
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NE John said:

I just saw that my June Alaska price dropped quite a lot and I called Cunard this AM and the very nice rep (Lou) “refinanced” my voyage with same booking reference, terms, OBC, and I did not have to rebook dining and excursion reservations. 
I have refinanced twice so far and, in PG, cut about $1,500 my original fare. 

This sounds all too good to be true! I’ve only used TA’s before and never got these fare deductions. 

Lucky you can do that, if it happened in the UK and we called Cunard all they would say  is "tough".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Lucky you can do that, if it happened in the UK and we called Cunard all they would say  is "tough".

Believe me, I’m not posting these updates to make our UK friends and others feel left out but to let those following this Cunard Board that there are some deals to be had now with some very decent price reductions. 
Plus, to let others know (maybe just N. America) that you may not have to cancel the voyage and rebook, as I was told I had to do last month. 
What is consistent is Cunard’s inconsistent policies!

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

Believe me, I’m not posting these updates to make our UK friends and others feel left out but to let those following this Cunard Board that there are some deals to be had now with some very decent price reductions. 
Plus, to let others know (maybe just N. America) that you may not have to cancel the voyage and rebook, as I was told I had to do last month. 
What is consistent is Cunard’s inconsistent policies!

That is our only option is to cancel and lose deposit, which is no small amount, then rebook at lower price. Cunard's inconsistent treatment of differing nationalities is driving me away from cruising with them in the future. Already not booked a cruise we planned to book on latest 10% discount offer.

Believe me, I for one don't feel 'left out' NE John.

One of our cruises still had one of the cabins in the grade we had booked, left. The price of the cabin rose within a week or two of our booking it [algorithms?] and the 10% reduction would still have been more expensive than our booking made within a minute of the bookings going live.

Needless to say, the cabin left went within a short while of the reduction offer.

The early bird caught the juicy fat worm in our case. 🙂

and ps

I don't believe 'we' suffer in the long run against US bookings.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 4

We don't really care what others pay either.

We ended up in Britannia Club the first time because the obstructed balconies we wanted were no longer available and we had more FCC than expected.

Having discovered that the MDR for BC, and the cabin location were to our liking, that's what we have and will book. I know roughly what the price will be, but my instructions to our agent are to book what I have specified. If those in the next cabin pay less than us, good luck to them.

I know BC is by no means the most expensive grade on the ship. Our costs are about £10k including flights, hotel and onboard spend. I'm not really bothered that it might be possible for someone to do the trip for 10% less. For me the more likely future scenario is that we may eventually get fed up and decide to spend that money on something else, probably high end restaurants around this region with overnight stays. That would avoid the trauma of leaving home (and cats) for two weeks.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Cunard's inconsistent treatment of differing nationalities is driving me away from cruising with them in the future. 

I don't think it is Cunard's choice. Consumer laws vary by nation and Cunard must follow those laws. Believe the refundable deposit is a requirement of doing business in the US.

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Believe me, I for one don't feel 'left out' NE John.

One of our cruises still had one of the cabins in the grade we had booked, left. The price of the cabin rose within a week or two of our booking it [algorithms?] and the 10% reduction would still have been more expensive than our booking made within a minute of the bookings going live.

Needless to say, the cabin left went within a short while of the reduction offer.

The early bird caught the juicy fat worm in our case. 🙂

and ps

I don't believe 'we' suffer in the long run against US bookings.

True, after I booked in October, the price rose over $500 from what I paid and then now down $1,500. 
The key info is to monitor one’s fare until the final payment and see if prices come down. These are big swings. 

7 hours ago, NE John said:

True, after I booked in October, the price rose over $500 from what I paid and then now down $1,500. 
The key info is to monitor one’s fare until the final payment and see if prices come down. These are big swings. 

Like  D&N , we book what we want, when we want and once booked, couldn't care less if anyone pays more, or less than we do. We have our cabin and that's what matter to us.

However, it's of interest to see booking trends, eg, do we HAVE to book on release to get the cabin or can we hold back and wait as the cabin might still be available etc.

The jury is still on the side of book on release, safer and cheaper.

All good fun. 🙂

On 2/11/2024 at 9:53 PM, Victoria2 said:

Not sharp practice, the term is 'dynamic pricing' and yes prices go up and down and I don't think the company hiked the prices just to offer a discount.

A cabin we have booked went up a couple of weeks after we booked it [which we did on past passengers' booking day]. On sale, it was still more than we paid.

It happens.

Couldn’t agree more.

Curious how people gloat when the price they paid goes up and moan when it goes down. 

Just decide on what its worth to you and move on. 

13 hours ago, esrs said:

I don't think it is Cunard's choice. Consumer laws vary by nation and Cunard must follow those laws. Believe the refundable deposit is a requirement of doing business in the US.

Nothing to do with Consumer Laws in any country when if you book QG/PG in US you get free gratuities and drinks package. If you book the same cruise and from the UK you get zilch. That is down to Cunard and how they treat cruiser's differently from whichever country they are from nothing to do with Consumer Law.