Will NEVER use HAL again!!

mheal

I'm afraid I must throw my lot in with all the other posters. Plain common sense should dictate that one shouldn't leave anything of any value whatsoever outside their stateroom. Lightfingered people exsist everywhere, even on a cruise ship.

I most certainly don't think you should blame the cruise line for your own error in judgement. I know that on every disembarkation talk I have ever attended, we were told not to put liquor outside the staterooms.

I am sorry for your bad experience but I bet it would have happened on any line where someone did this.

Just as a sidenote ... on Princess, they deliver the liquor and cigarettes purchased onboard during the last day of your cruise. Problem is that they just plop it down on the floor outside of your stateroom. I gave holy you know what to Guest Services over that one. Came back from a busy afternoon onboard to find all these liquor boxes sitting outside of peoples' staterooms.

This is a good example as to why I always pre-tip my room steward above and beyond the automatic tips. :)

On our Princess cruise, we arrived back at our cabin to find the hallways loaded with booze. OURS, however, had been placed in our room by our steward.

I have to agree with most posters...I even feel funny closing the door on my packed luggage in the hall overnight! Sure, it's supposed to make it to the dock, but I realize it "might" be the last time I see it! Put something out there as "disposable" (and obvious) as a liquor carton? Naaahh.

Even if it wasn't mentioned in the debarking session (and it ALWAYS is, followed by laughter), HAL makes it quite clear that it's not responsible in its written documents (as stated prior).

Indeed, it's a $60, well-learned, although maybe not deserved, lesson in life, luggage and "carry-on" (-off") liquor on board!

I'm sorry that it happened to the OP, but it won't be the last time, unfortunately. However, I doubt, wherever they choose to cruise, that they will leave liquor outside their cabin door again....:(

JMHO,

Paul :)

I, personally, have a real fear about leaving my luggage out in the hall. I don't worry about things being stolen, but in my head I can hear the airport security people questioning me:

"Was this luggage out of your possession?"

"Has anybody else handled your luggage?"

And I really, honestly, would have to tell them that it should be searched.

susana.

I'm sorry you lost your liquor! But I can really see someone on the ship making off with it. I had a hard enough time leaving my suitcase out for the night, much less a box of booze. I would have been afraid the cruise people would have crushed it before it reached me! I've seen the way they toss those bags around.

But anyway, I know you're upset...but I also don't think you're going to have much luck getting HAL to pay for it.

We have the option (I believe) of putting our luggage out in early AM. I think we'll probably do this.

Hope the rest of your cruise was fun!

"Was this luggage out of your possession?"

"Has anybody else handled your luggage?"

And I really, honestly, would have to tell them that it should be searched.

Oh, wow. I have never thought of this! You are absolutely correct. So next time we cruise (which is too depressingly far away to reveal), I'll either have to tell them to search my bag or search it myself before turning it over to airport security. Dang. (But thanks for pointing that out!)

Robin

This is a good example as to why I always pre-tip my room steward above and beyond the automatic tips. :)

I do the same. Also on our first cruise, once they started taking the luggage out of the hallway, I handed the guy $30. He had loaded most of ours, and then left. I looked out a few minutes later, and the rest of ours was gone, but the hallway was still full of other luggage. I don't know if this had anything to do with him getting our luggage to the dock area, but he certainly gave me a big "thank you" and did come back and get the rest of ours prior to getting other passengers luggage.

Sorry, but I too have to agree with everybody else. Why on earth would anyone put their liquor packages out in the hallway? It is an open invitation to steal. Not only that, as another poster mentioned those stevedores simply throw the luggage around - a couple of glass bottles in a cardboard container wouldn't stand a chance.

I have about 23 cruises with HAL (one of these days I really have to haul out the cruise folder and actually count them:D ), and I have never seen anyone put out their liquor packages for pickup with the luggage. Nor have I ever seen any liquor packages in the luggage pickup area - there's another good place for someone to pick up some "free" liquor and whisk it away.

I sincerely hope that Princess has seen the error of their ways and has done something to correct that practise. If I had purchased liquor from them and they had left it in the passageway and it subsequently disappeared then I think that I would have a legitimate gripe and expect compensation. However, HAL does, and always has, deliver the purchase to your stateroom.

I truly am sorry for your loss but I just don't see how you can blame HAL. I'm sure that the same thing would have happened on any other cruiseline.

I sincerely hope that you will continue to cruise, even if it's not aboard a HAL ship, and that if you purchase liquor onboard then you will carry if off the ship yourself just like the rest of us do.

Valerie:)

Darn - I knew there was something I was forgetting. Susana - you make a really good point about the luggage being out of our possession. I hadn't thought about that. I just hope that my TA approved locks really can only be opened by TA personnel.

Valerie:D

While I, too, am sorry the OP lost their liquor, I don't think HAL owes them anything for the OP's lapse in judgement. I think they need to just chalk it up to inexperience and resolve to be more careful in the future. I am sure that like most of us, they have been bitten by the cruise bug and will cruise again. Next time they will be more savvy travelers.

I need to politely disagree with vozzie. I think that very quickly they will stop telling the world how HAL lost their booze as most people will give them quizzical looks when they reveal their naivete and their carelessness. Personal responsibility is the name of the game here.

...snip... When I called HAL I was told they will not be responsible because I cannot prove it was placed outside our stateroom. Well, how many of you take pictures of your baggage placed outside your stateroom?

mheal: Ever since my lock was cut off and my digital camera stolen, I have taken a photo of my luggage when I place it outside the cabin door. You would be 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' if you abandon HAL for $60.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

I parked my car on the street during a snow ban and the snow plow buried it! It's the town's fault. :D I'm sorry for your loss but was your cruise so terrible that HAL should be hung out to dry? :rolleyes: You realy should re-evaluate this.

We had 2 complimentary bottles of sparkling wine in our suite upon embarkation. We never drank them (don't like the stuff -- wish we could trade them in for a bottle of red wine or something). We left the bottles out with our luggage on the last night for the sole purpose of hoping someone would take them! Lo and behold, they were gone long before our luggage was, and we hope whoever took them enjoyed them!

ote]

i personally would not do that either -- i would give them to my cabin attendant -if he didnt want them he could trade them for something he needs or wants among the crew

i would no more put my liquor outside my door for pickup unless i put my camera , meds , passport etc etc etc to keep the liquor company until its taken

You had a nice cruise - but lost your liquor...such an incident IMO could have resulted from, for example, a dishonest neighbor...and in no way related to the cruise line. Did you get your bags? This happens on every cruise line - so be prepared and if you do cruise again, carry your precious booze off with you.

I think I'll have a cocktail.

We had 2 complimentary bottles of sparkling wine in our suite upon embarkation. We never drank them (don't like the stuff -- wish we could trade them in for a bottle of red wine or something). We left the bottles out with our luggage on the last night for the sole purpose of hoping someone would take them! Lo and behold, they were gone long before our luggage was, and we hope whoever took them enjoyed them! :)

Note: we wouldn't do this on a more family friendly cruise, but we had a pretty old crowd and I think there was all of one or two teens on board.

AlexandNessa:

Sorry - another item I meant to address and forgot. I'm with you in that I don't like sparkling wine. However, in the past I have had bottles of wine from my TA either waiting in the cabin or delivered at dinner. Sometimes the wine is red and I'm in the mood for white, or vice versa so I talk to the Sommelier and it has never been a problem for them to change the wine for me. Next time you find yourself with some wine that you don't like then just ask if you can exchange it for another wine in the same price range. More than likely you will find them happy to do so.

Valerie:)

Just where were the "many" boxes of booze waiting to be claimed after disembarkation? Was there a security guard watching over them? Did they all have luggage tags? This does not make any sense, I have never seen any boxes of liquor with baggage on the dock, only in the custody of the owner and their luggage after after the suitcases have been claimed, these were obviously carried off the ship as hand luggage.

I am at a loss to know how HAL can be condemned for this very poor lack of judgement and a refund of the $60 is the last thing that should be expected, I would be embarrassed to admit to having done this and would certainly not bad mouth the cruise line because of it. The OP admits to having a "wonderful time" on the cruise but in another unrelated post complains about the "charges for extras" that are normal on most if not all cruise lines.

HAL and other lines go out of their way to make people aware of possible pitfalls and general regulations etc. If passengers do not do their homework, listen up or take notice it is not their fault.

Sorry but I can not be sympathetic in this instance.

We left the bottles out with our luggage on the last night for the sole purpose of hoping someone would take them! Lo and behold, they were gone long before our luggage was, and we hope whoever took them enjoyed them!

<hiccup>

Tankuverrimuch.

<hiccup>

Copper10-8 and others,

Our shop sold fashion jewellery, so we aren't talking big biccies here. However, whenever theft was suspected, we had ways of letting the refundee know that we knew that they knew etc. We were unlikely to see them again. However, if we had refused a refund, the comotion and bad vibe that they would have created in the store would far outweigh the financial loss.

My point was only that, no matter who was right or wrong, good business sense should have dictated that HAL pay the $60 ... a small investment in customer relations.

" This is vey unfortunate and we are sorry this occurred. We will ensure that we place more emphasis on this issue during future passenger briefings. I hope you will accept our offer of $100 to compensate you for your inconvenience."

If they had, there would not be potential HAL clients (like me) reading this post and having second thoughts on handing over $3000 for a cruise.

Okay, okay, so nobody wants to be sympathetic to you and your loss. I'm with you, how dare they swipe your booze. I bet it was the people in the liquor store and they're going to resell it next week. Yeah, Yeah that's the ticket...psssst...Hey Greg, you told me there was only 2 bottles!...Paul:)

mheal: Don't take it so hard, you did have a great cruise. I am very happy for you that you got home safe and sound. Suggestion: take another cruise and fill the bottles with water (lol)...Paul:)

When the box was delivered to our stateroom we put it out with our other luggage to be taken to the pier. When we arrived at the pier we saw lots of other boxes of liquor - but not ours.

<humor gears on>

Intriguing. There were "lots of other boxes of liquor" on the pier? This would mean that lots of other people did the same thing you did -- despite common sense and the scripted advice of the Cruise Director's Disembarkation lecture. I should keep this in mind ... I have a soft spot for Remy Martin VSOP and XO. ;)

<humor gears off>

I do not wish to be unkind, but sometimes the pastoral thing to do is to be upfront when it comes to matters of maturity and responsibility: the long and short of it is that you made a mistake. I'm sure it was infuriating, and I am certain I would be angry too. But my upset and anger would have been directed at myself for having done something that is worthy of honorable mention in the contest for the Darwin Awards. <humor gears on>The good news is that it's the judges who stole your booze, and so they're probably so smashed that they won't have time to issue you an award. ;) <humor gears off>

Unfortunately, you have now compounded your infuriation with the additional problem of public humiliation. I mean, so long as you kept quiet about it no one (other than those who took it) would have known that you did something rather stupid. When I do stupid things I generally look around to see if anybody saw me do it; if no one did, I take my error as a cheap lesson, file it for future reference, and go on. If someone sees me do something stupid, however, I hope that I don't know them and they don't know me. And, if outright caught doing something stupid, I admit it. What I never do is broadcast my stupidity to the universe if I don't have to. That is what you did ... and, I would imagine, you are now harboring a rather uncomfortable dose of embarrassment. I wonder ... will you blame yourself for this, will you blame HAL, or will you blame us?

Yeah, Yeah that's the ticket...psssst...Hey Greg, you told me there was only 2 bottles!...Paul

From which cabin? ;)

In all seriousness ... aside from the fact that someone will probably steal it, one of the reasons why the line does NOT want you putting your booze outside in the hall way is that there are sometimes children and youth aboard damships. When I was a youth -- way back in the dim misty recesses of the past -- I would have looked upon those boxes with booze in them as an open-ended invitation to get rip-roaring DRUNK.

<sigh> The things I missed out on when I was a kid ... gee.

Archived