Will NEVER use HAL again!!

mheal

As far as the OP leaving liquor bottles outside the door for them to collect with the luggage and later finding them broken while claiming luggage at the pier...........................................

I don't need any meetings or notifications or reminders from the CD or anyone that breakable items OF ANY KIND as well as all valuables should be carried off the ship IN PERSON.

...............P.S. Heather, no need to tag your tiara: After all everyone should know it's yours!!! :) ;) Cheers..

LOL, Betty:D ! Now THAT'S funny!!;)

You just reminded me that I told Windstar "never again" in November 2001. After 9/11 I was uncomfortable going on a cruise a couple of months after the attack for a number of reasons. I begged Windstar to let me use 1/2 the deposit of $1000 for a future cruise (we had no insurance that time ... now that's a 'never again') ... anyway, Windstar refused to give me the $500 credit on another cruise.

So I told them I would never cruise Windstar again and I won't. But it's hard sometimes because we loved the line. But I'm just that stubborn (in case no one had noticed;) ).

So now, other than making sure I get travel insurance every single time, I will never say "never again"!

I am not trying to be contrary or to minimize what MAY have happened, but has anyone (other than myself) considered that the OP was a troll and the posting was just meant to start a flame war? It does seem to have backfired as not many people have taken the side of the OP.

If, indeed, it happened as the OP stated, then they have no-one to blame but themselves and not to expect any type of compensation from HAL. That sounds harsh, but it is an economic fact that the cruise lines/ airlines/ hotels would go broke (or more broke) if they compensated for this type of incident every time.

I am not trying to be contrary or to minimize what MAY have happened, but has anyone (other than myself) considered that the OP was a troll and the posting was just meant to start a flame war? It does seem to have backfired as not many people have taken the side of the OP.

I insinuated as much a few pages ago....it's a very real possibility.

Now here's the klinker - the Hotel Mgr said since Carnival took over the standards went down the drain, more cuts were coming & he was just hanging on til he retired.

Since the conditions that you described were directly under the control of the HM, based on the comments you ascribe to him, I think he should have retired sooner. In my years in business, I've heard many long time employees make excuses for not doing their job because of changes that had been made higher up. Most of the time, the real problem was an inability to adapt. When the employee starts passing that excuse along to the customer, it's past time for that employee to be gone. Some people see change as a challenge and an opportunity to grow. Others see change as an opportunity to gripe.

Um, Susanna? They don't ask anymore. They just x-ray everything, and search a lot of it. :)

Duh, I guess I forgot to notice that they weren't asking anymore. I had noticed the x-rays and searches, though. Thanks, Dave, susana.

Where does common sense come onto play here? I don't need anyone to tell me not to put liquor outside in the hall.

Just for fun....everyone traveling on another cruise line other than HAL...please put your purchased alcohol outside your door with your luggage on the last night. Then after it is missing, please report it to the cruiseline you traveled on and ask for a refund. Please come back here and tell the rest of us if you are successful in getting a refund.

Sorry...I will be traveling and purchasing alcohol, but will not be participating in this experiment. Any bets on what happens with other cruise lines as well? :rolleyes:

Que is the CD now? I was hoping he'd be recognized for his efforts. He was an assistant CD on the Westerdam when we sailed and he was the most helpful, pleasant and entertaining staffer we've ever sailed with. He also was extremely professional and on top of everything.

He was great on our ship! But he was just filling in for the regular CD....and I THINK he is going to the Amsterdam to take a permanent position.

I don't know ... but to me it would seem "common sense" and shouldn't have to be covered in a disembarkation talk. You don't leave either valuables or something very "attractive" to thieves or children like liquor sitting outside of your stateroom for pick-up by the luggage handlers. If it doesn't get stolen while outside your cabin door, it can easily be swiped on the pier ... and not by HAL employees either.
But again we are on a cruise ship. Some things are not "common sense" already. Having someone make your bed 3 times a day is not common sense. Eating all you want just about anywhere on the ship however having to pay for soda?

Sorry the cruise atmosphere makes it feel safer to put out $60 in liquor when you have a $300 cocktail dress in the luggage next to it.

I read with shock the poster who mentioned someone leaving a $3,000 laptop outside their cabin door for pick-up. My lord! Didn't that poor person even stop to think? :( Even a generally honest person might be tempted in that case. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree. I even told them (it was my post that mentioned it) that I wouldn't do it. But they had no problems sending it through the luggage on the way in...so they saw no problem with sending it on the way out.

If, indeed, it happened as the OP stated, then they have no-one to blame but themselves and not to expect any type of compensation from HAL. That sounds harsh, but it is an economic fact that the cruise lines/ airlines/ hotels would go broke (or more broke) if they compensated for this type of incident every time.

Why would a troll mention a specific cruise that was a charter? Sorry but there is very little chance the person is a troll.

Wow this thread hasn't dropped off yet? the OP seems to have, 110 posts later and the raging continues. Talk about your King Mixers, I should have added this thread as one of the choices for a polling thread along with the Dress code and Smoking for the competition of the longest rage posts:D

Its amazing this threat keeps going. First, whether or not the OP is a troll or not, the fact is that she seems to think she was burned and should be awarded compensation. Unfortunately, it was one of those common sense things that, even if the CD did forget to mention it in the disembarkation briefing, would be doubtful to be compensated for anywhere. I don't see this as a HAL issue and thus saying you'll never travel on HAL again over $60 of liquor in regards to something that could happen anywhere seems a little over the top. Unfortunately, there are quite a lot of over-the-top people out there as we can see from some of the postings on Cruise Critic.I'll just say I am in disagreement with the OP. Sure, its always a kicker to find something gone but sometimes we just have to kick ourselves and stop thinking the world owes us.

Since the conditions that you described were directly under the control of the HM, based on the comments you ascribe to him, I think he should have retired sooner. In my years in business, I've heard many long time employees make excuses for not doing their job because of changes that had been made higher up. Most of the time, the real problem was an inability to adapt. When the employee starts passing that excuse along to the customer, it's past time for that employee to be gone. Some people see change as a challenge and an opportunity to grow. Others see change as an opportunity to gripe.

That is an iteresting point....but I must defend the HM...he was actually shocked to hear me tell the story & then go & see the dirty cabin himself....he personally arranged for me to move to another cabin & sent a wonderful bottle of wine with a personal note. At the time the staff had been cut considerably onboard & it showed all over. At one point I was talking with the captain & he even said after a time when Carnival was hands off on HAL - they were now squeezing them. Things happen & I understand that - the HM was very profesional, corrected what went wrong & assured me it would not happen again.

What changes have occurred are shortage of staff & reduction of quality onboard. You & I agree on how wonderful the Prinsendam was to experience - but the mold in the shower that took 3 days & 3 visits to the front desk to have cleaned & the brown wilted lettuce in the buffet area & stale pastry in the dining room - were all examples of how the staff is overworked & the line pinching pennies.

Perhaps raising the prices of drinks would be sufficient, but raising the prices & serving them in smaller glasses is just greedy. For the most part the staff onboard is very pleasant - but you can see tehy are overworked...at very cheap wages I might add. carnivals prfit line has increased & yet they cannot afford to give a living wage to the service staff(and yet the "Guests" get to have the auto gratuities increased).

Yes change can be good - more people cruise than ever before - Carnival saved Cunard & kept QE2 going(thank you) But its crazy to advertise HAL as they do :

"Holland America Line believes in the adage, "It's not just the destinations, but the journey that counts." Of course our cruise destinations are amazing, our shore excursions are unique and memorable, but your perfect journey is made complete by the special onboard amenities that have consistently made Holland America Line the world's highest-rated premium cruise line. All manner of delights await you as you step aboard our five-star fleet of premium cruise ships and into a world of gracious, unobtrusive service, elegant accommodations, spacious public areas, fine dining, comforting spa and salon treatments and glittering entertainment"

Rotterdam, IIRC, you were on the transatlantic on the Prinsendam immediately after the world cruise, weren't you? We never experienced the brown lettuce and stale pastry during the world cruise. Most of the staff left the ship in NY after the WC and I'm sure there were problems getting things in sync with a lot of personnel changes on the cruise immediatly following. We did have problems during the first few days of the WC, just out of drydock, a lot of people working together for the first time, etc. Service in the dining room the first night was a total fiasco! But it was fine within a few days except for a few tables that had a team that just never did learn to work well together.

I wonder if HAL would still be around if not for Carnival. Would HAL's pockets have been deep enough to build new ships? Could they be competitive without the economy of scale that the umbrella ownership brings? Yes, it has to be a love/hate relationship... love the fact that HAL is still around and still much different from the other lines in the Carnival stable, hate the fact that some things do have to change...

At the time the staff had been cut considerably onboard & it showed all over.

Rotterdam ... when was this? What year? WHEN in that year? Consider the fleet ... had a new ship JUST BEEN placed into service prior to your cruise? In discussions with long-term HMs, the observation has been made that most problems like you describe (like cuts in ship's staff) are directly coordinated and related to the the introduction of a new ship and the need to staff that ship. The ss Jakarta cannot turn out enough new staff fast enough to crew a whole new ship, so they have to take some from other ships. When the Noordam was put into service HAL took a certain percentage from each of the Vistas (Minsink said it would be no more than 10% per Vista) and then somewhat less from some of the other ships in the fleet; and, that the final ratio of experience/inexperienced staff was intended to be 2/3 experienced to 1/3 inexperienced.

HMs I've spoken to about the staffing problems have related those problems to (1) ship introductions, (2) the resulting growth of staff needs, (3) US Security requirements ... most especially post 911.

I'll just say I am in disagreement with the OP. Sure, its always a kicker to find something gone but sometimes we just have to kick ourselves and stop thinking the world owes us.

Gee, Bramcruiser.....

What an amazing concept. Personal responsibility.

Wow...... I am so sick of this idea that when something/anything goes wrong, people are in a flurry of finding who to blame.

compensation!!!! I hate that word. I am so sick of this mindset in our society that someone has to pay when one perceives they have suffered a loss.

How about looking at ourselves first. Did we do something to cause what happened? Was it more our own fault than someone else's. Learn from the 'dam' lesson and stop always looking around for someone else to blame and someone's deep (or shallow) pockets to reach into.

PERSONAL RESPONISIBLITY......Wow....what a concept.

JMHO, of course. ;)

The ss Jakarta cannot turn out enough new staff fast enough to crew a whole new ship, so they have to take some from other ships. When the Noordam was put into service HAL took a certain percentage from each of the Vistas (Minsink said it would be no more than 10% per Vista) and then somewhat less from some of the other ships in the fleet; and, that the final ratio of experience/inexperienced staff was intended to be 2/3 experienced to 1/3 inexperienced.

We saw the dining steward that we had on Volendam in October on Noordam. When we returned to Volendam in January, he was not there and we assumed he was on vacation. Not......he had been transferred to help bring out Noordam.

Gee, Bramcruiser.....

What an amazing concept. Personal responsibility.

Wow...... I am so sick of this idea that when something/anything goes wrong, people are in a flurry of finding who to blame.

compensation!!!! I hate that word. I am so sick of this mindset in our society that someone has to pay when one perceives they have suffered a loss.

How about looking at ourselves first. Did we do something to cause what happened? Was it more our own fault than someone else's. Learn from the 'dam' lesson and stop always looking around for someone else to blame and someone's deep (or shallow) pockets to reach into.

PERSONAL RESPONISIBLITY......Wow....what a concept.

JMHO, of course. ;)

Sail, you are so right! So right that I think it bears repeating so I'm quoting it here!:)

I'm sick of it too. I said it earlier on this thread. When something like this happens, kick yourself, admit you did something foolish and move on.

Get a real problem for heaven's sake. Find out what real loss is ... the kind that no amount of compensation can ever repair or make you feel any better.

Rotterdam, IIRC, you were on the transatlantic on the Prinsendam immediately after the world cruise, weren't you? We never experienced the brown lettuce and stale pastry during the world cruise. Most of the staff left the ship in NY after the WC and I'm sure there were problems getting things in sync with a lot of personnel changes on the cruise immediatly following. We did have problems during the first few days of the WC, just out of drydock, a lot of people working together for the first time, etc. Service in the dining room the first night was a total fiasco! But it was fine within a few days except for a few tables that had a team that just never did learn to work well together.

I wonder if HAL would still be around if not for Carnival. Would HAL's pockets have been deep enough to build new ships? Could they be competitive without the economy of scale that the umbrella ownership brings? Yes, it has to be a love/hate relationship... love the fact that HAL is still around and still much different from the other lines in the Carnival stable, hate the fact that some things do have to change...

Grumpy - yes I was on the TA right after the WC...along with the other food issues - don't mention JELLO...half of the back of the DR chanted NO Jello No Jello - we all assumed it was leftover from the WC - lots of laughs all around....

Yes CCL did changed the cruise industry...and life styles have changed..Royal Viking Lind ceased to exist & the luxury market is dicey at best these days. But I believe some experiences are better left in the past. My HAL is gone forever...the NEW CCL HAL is for all the rest.

Rev Neal - it was on teh Volendam in Feb 2000....btw when I booked no one notified me, warned me or gave me a discount for the shoddy service....I understand your aprreciation for HAL now & your enjoyment....that being said - new ship or not - the service was horrible. For the Capt to be so outspoken was surprising. I loved the Volendam as a ship.

Once on a SITMAR ship a waiter in the diningroom spilled an entire platter of very hot pasta in my lap...as i tried to crawl out of the dining room before I ripped my pants off I laughed....it was an accident...things happen,,,,I was not laughing on teh Volendam or Prinsendam!

Rev Neal - it was on teh Volendam in Feb 2000....btw when I booked no one notified me, warned me or gave me a discount for the shoddy service....I understand your aprreciation for HAL now & your enjoyment....that being said - new ship or not - the service was horrible. For the Capt to be so outspoken was surprising. I loved the Volendam as a ship.

I've been cruising HAL since 1994. My first HAL cruise, made with my parents aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, was a celebration for the successful defense of my doctoral dissertation. It was a wonderful cruise, complete with impeccable service and all the pleasantries of a classic ocean voyage. Since then -- with 148 passenger and chaplain days at sea -- I've watched the changes on HAL; some have taken getting used to, some have been very frustrating, and some been very disappointing. Others, however, have been excellent and I've applauded their introduction. Over this time I've heard, repeatedly, whines about how the purchase by Carnival has ruined the line ... as if this was some change that was recent and having an immediate and newly-felt impact. Your's is an example. As you WELL know, In 2000 HAL had been owned by CCL for OVER eleven YEARS. Changes there had been ... and they had been in place for a LONG time. Some of the things that the Carnival purchase brought to Holland America were GOOD -- for example, the MASSIVE expansion of the fleet (the 8 WONDERFUL cruise ships of the S and R classes) and, indeed, the sheer continued existence of the Line. Yes, I came on AFTER HAL was purchased, but I could hear what the then-old timers had to say about the pre-Carnival viability of the Line ... and the word was "gloomy."

In February 2000 the Volendam had been in service for about 3 months. I'm sorry that you had shoddy service ... perhaps her crew were still in their settling-in phase? Also, it was just 3 months to the launch of the Zaandam, so I wouldn't be surprised if fleet-wide service levels were suffering some from the double-whamy of two new ships in half-a-year's span of time. I was aboard the Volendam a little over a year after you and the service, by then, was EXEMPLARY. Perhaps I'm contented with shoddy service? Or, perhaps, you're being unreasonable? OR ... perhaps there's something else going on? I prefer the third alternative.

Yes, mistakes and accidents DO happen. Once, while starting to dig into a salad, I came across a tiny worm crawling over a leaf and onto the plate. We were laughing about it and I was reaching for my camera to take a picture when the plate was whisked away so fast that it made my head spin. I then had a waiter, his assistant, the area supervisor, and the Matre'D all at my elbow apologizing to me and asking me if I would like another salad or something different. I knew they were quite befuddled by my reaction, which was one of utter humor ... I was turning blue from hypoxia, I was laughing so hard. I'm sorry your experience didn't generate nearly as much of a humorous response.

Well said Greg. My first cruise on the Volendam was in November of 2001. That was two months after 9/11/01. Ifound the service to be excellent. I have been on this ship twice since then and the service has been very good.

I think a new ship often has kinks to work out and it can be a bit frustrating.

I had one pax who told me he would never travel on the VEENDAM. He was on the innagural cruise and there were be things to be worked out. I was reluctant to ever take that ship but once I did I had nothing but good experiences on this ship.

I also agree with your observations on the Carnival situation. Holland Ships are NOT Carnival ships, though the ships are getting bigger my experience is that the Vista Class passengers are treated as well as passengers on any other class of Holland Ship.

Well said, Himself. Having travelled on the Oosterdam last year I felt the trip was a step above from a regular Carnival cruise. Art work versus Las Vegas finishings! Quiet pool time versus party on deck! Searching for your own drink versus having one constantly shoved in your face for $! Mature crowd versus fun seekers! You get the picture. Carnival may own the company and may ultimately make economic decisions but the service is still HAL.

I can understand some of the anti-Vista rhetorics however. A lot has to do with ship size and people's comfort level with crowds and space. I never felt crowded on the Oosterdam which to me would have been a make or break situation. Can't wait for the comments on the even larger Signature class ships.

I've been cruising HAL since 1994. My first HAL cruise, made with my parents aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, was a celebration for the successful defense of my doctoral dissertation. It was a wonderful cruise, complete with impeccable service and all the pleasantries of a classic ocean voyage. Since then -- with 148 passenger and chaplain days at sea -- I've watched the changes on HAL; some have taken getting used to, some have been very frustrating, and some been very disappointing. Others, however, have been excellent and I've applauded their introduction. Over this time I've heard, repeatedly, whines about how the purchase by Carnival has ruined the line ... as if this was some change that was recent and having an immediate and newly-felt impact. Your's is an example. As you WELL know, In 2000 HAL had been owned by CCL for OVER eleven YEARS. Changes there had been ... and they had been in place for a LONG time. Some of the things that the Carnival purchase brought to Holland America were GOOD -- for example, the MASSIVE expansion of the fleet (the 8 WONDERFUL cruise ships of the S and R classes) and, indeed, the sheer continued existence of the Line. Yes, I came on AFTER HAL was purchased, but I could hear what the then-old timers had to say about the pre-Carnival viability of the Line ... and the word was "gloomy."

In February 2000 the Volendam had been in service for about 3 months. I'm sorry that you had shoddy service ... perhaps her crew were still in their settling-in phase? Also, it was just 3 months to the launch of the Zaandam, so I wouldn't be surprised if fleet-wide service levels were suffering some from the double-whamy of two new ships in half-a-year's span of time. I was aboard the Volendam a little over a year after you and the service, by then, was EXEMPLARY. Perhaps I'm contented with shoddy service? Or, perhaps, you're being unreasonable? OR ... perhaps there's something else going on? I prefer the third alternative.

Yes, mistakes and accidents DO happen. Once, while starting to dig into a salad, I came across a tiny worm crawling over a leaf and onto the plate. We were laughing about it and I was reaching for my camera to take a picture when the plate was whisked away so fast that it made my head spin. I then had a waiter, his assistant, the area supervisor, and the Matre'D all at my elbow apologizing to me and asking me if I would like another salad or something different. I knew they were quite befuddled by my reaction, which was one of utter humor ... I was turning blue from hypoxia, I was laughing so hard. I'm sorry your experience didn't generate nearly as much of a humorous response.

Greg - your experience is yours...mine is mine - both valid no matter how different...after posting last nite I thought this issue is just a matter of taste. I also wondered when you & Grumpy first sailed with HAL. Funny is that your first cruise on the old Noordam( I was on her when she first came out) is when I thought that HAL was changing - but after CCL bought HAL for years HAL was left to run the business as they saw fit. Then CCL decided to clomp down & thats when the quality went out the window. Not only with the design of the ship but with the service levels. My first time on the Rotterdam V was in 1976 - so that is the difference...ask Stephen Card about those days onboard HAL!

The floating malls of today hold no warmth for me - travelling with thousands of passengers, the long lines & mediocre food & service. Some of the changes are due to society changes but most are for economy of scale.

Its funny when someone has a dissenting opinion on these boards they are attacked as such by the more populist view. Yes sometimes change is good but HAL (IMO) has not done the best job of continuing its quality

I never thought myself to be unreasonable(most people who know me would readily agree) I just don't think eating at a buffet or mould in my shower is 5 star!

Greg - your experience is yours...mine is mine - both valid no matter how different...after posting last nite I thought this issue is just a matter of taste. I also wondered when you & Grumpy first sailed with HAL. Funny is that your first cruise on the old Noordam( I was on her when she first came out) is when I thought that HAL was changing - but after CCL bought HAL for years HAL was left to run the business as they saw fit. Then CCL decided to clomp down & thats when the quality went out the window. Not only with the design of the ship but with the service levels. My first time on the Rotterdam V was in 1976 - so that is the difference...ask Stephen Card about those days onboard HAL!

The floating malls of today hold no warmth for me - travelling with thousands of passengers, the long lines & mediocre food & service. Some of the changes are due to society changes but most are for economy of scale.

Its funny when someone has a dissenting opinion on these boards they are attacked as such by the more populist view. Yes sometimes change is good but HAL (IMO) has not done the best job of continuing its quality

I never thought myself to be unreasonable(most people who know me would readily agree) I just don't think eating at a buffet or mould in my shower is 5 star!

Agree your experience is unique & we have never encountered mold in our cabin or a water main break..If we had, we may feel the same way as you do..Understand where you are coming from, but try to look at it this way...

Years ago in the Airline business we had Berths & First Class for Trans-Atlantic Passengers... Many Airlines went out of business because of increasing costs.. Airlines could no longer afford to give the service they once gave & service deteriorated..Then came the bare bones Airlines & with it lower prices...Many who once were first class passengers travel business class or economy because their companies will no longer pay the first class rates..

Agree HAL is not the same as it was in the 80's but look up the fares that were charged then & now..Fares have not increased all that much!Passengers are not willing to pay the increases it would take to give the service of yesteryear..Hal was in danger of going out of business until Carnival took it over..

My first cruise was on Hellenic in the Greek Islands in the 70's...Service was superb, but they went out of business..Then came another cruise on NCL in the late 70's..Again service was out of this world! NCL has changed, because that is what passengers want & are willing to pay for..Many of the cruise lines service has changed over the years..

We are retired & our pensions have not increased, however are still fortunate enough to be able to afford the longer cruises with HAL, which is still our favorite cruise line..

Happy Cruising everyone!:) ...Betty

I loved the old Rotterdam V. She was a wonderful ocean liner. I enjoyed celebrating my parent's 40th Wedding Anniversary with them aboard her. When she left the fleet, I mourned.

Which is all the more reason why I prefered the N-class ships, the old Rotterdam, and the S-class and R-class ships over the "Monster of the Seas" tubs of other lines. Fewer than 1500 passengers, a good passenger-to-crew ratio, and good service. That has been my general experience. Food is highly subjective, so it's hard to say, but I've never found the cuisine on HAL to be "mediocre." I've had some dishes I didn't like, but many many more that I did. Likewise, I've had periodic service-fumbles ... but, by-and-large, the service I've received on HAL has been far above "mediocre" in my estimation. Again, perhaps we have remarkably different standards? OR, as I said earlier, perhaps something else is going on? Written all over your post (though unstated in black-and-white) is that I simply don't know what "exemplary" is, and hence can't really judge. I beg to differ.

Its funny when someone has a dissenting opinion on these boards they are attacked as such by the more populist view. Yes sometimes change is good but HAL (IMO) has not done the best job of continuing its quality.

I truly do hope you haven't taken my response to be an "attack."

I agree ... which is why I'm very happy that HAL doesn't have a Buffet; the Lido is a Cafeteria. :) Also, I've never had mold in my shower on HAL ... at least, none that I ever noticed.

Frankly, I don't think you're unreasonable; that is PRECISELY why I wrote that something else is going -- you're not unreasonable and I'm not ignorant of the true meaning of quality vs mediocrity.

Archived