New Ships

CJANDH

11 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Does anyone have any news on the four new ships that Crystal promised? What size and when to be launched?

Nothing concrete yet. Cristina Levis wrote this on another social media in relation to this question:

„too early to say. We are working around the clock to make it happen but there are various things that we do not control.“

Ivi

“Various things we do not control” usually means finding a lender willing to go on the hook for a half billion. After that to get a slot

at Fincantieri for delivery before 2030. 
Meanwhile we are very happy with Symphony and Serenity. 

• Like 3

Very happy with Symphony and Serenity! And thrilled they are back😍. Our experience on Serenity in November 2023 was so far superior to any other cruise line it “makes you sorry for the rest”! No comparison and it was wonderful to be reunited with the amazing crew. It’s the people that make the difference. Eager to rejoin her in May😊

• Like 8

I would think a replacement for the Symphony would be a top priority. It has emission problems and is the oldest.  It is limited in the ports which allow it.  The entry level cabins on both are not on par with even the mass market products.  All the luxury lines have multiple expedition ships and are retiring the older ones.  The new builds saga goes back at least 10 years!   The low occupancy of the Symphony might be a barrier to building a new ship. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MsCrystalina said:

I would think a replacement for the Symphony would be a top priority. It has emission problems and is the oldest.  It is limited in the ports which allow it.  The entry level cabins on both are not on par with even the mass market products.  All the luxury lines have multiple expedition ships and are retiring the older ones.  The new builds saga goes back at least 10 years!   The low occupancy of the Symphony might be a barrier to building a new ship. 

Im going to disagree with your statement that the entry level cabins are not on par with mass market lines. All of the entry level cabins were totally redone before the recent relaunch. 

• Like 3

Crystalina hits the nail on the head. 
The refurbs are very well executed but no amount of effort by Fincantieri can change the size. About 260 sq ft which is only slightly larger than a riverboat cabin. 
I, too see the low occupancy as a barrier to raising capital for new build. However occupancy is improving. After tomorrow in HK we will have 460 pax to Singapore. The Med is selling well and two of our four Sept cruises are waitlist only. So there is hope. 
Was unaware of the emission issue Fingers crossed as we love no ship like we love Crystal. 

On 2/21/2024 at 3:51 PM, CJANDH said:

Does anyone have any news on the four new ships that Crystal promised? What size and when to be launched?

The details are safely locked away in ER's Hermes bag.

😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

FYI-  I had a balcony cabin on Princess last summer on a 14 day port intensive British Isles which was much nicer than a solo on Crystal and cost me 30 percent what Crystal charges for solo on 7!  

And when you left your nicer balcony room, which was also cheaper.....you were still on Princess.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MsCrystalina said:

FYI-  I had a balcony cabin on Princess last summer on a 14 day port intensive British Isles which was much nicer than a solo on Crystal and cost me 30 percent what Crystal charges for solo on 7!  

We all have to decide what works for us. I would not be a happy camper on a Princess ship for 14 days eating what they serve, putting up with the crowds, etc. Think you probably paid more than 30% of what Crystal charges when you add any drinks (alcoholic or not) and gratuities. But, as I said, if it works for you, great for you. 

• Like 1

I didn’t realize Symphony could no longer enter US. But now that I think about I can’t remember when it was in US.
I do remember how awed I was when it visited NYC when brand new 30 years ago. It was a view to the future I could only dream of then. And now my dreams have come true. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I didn’t realize Symphony could no longer enter US. But now that I think about I can’t remember when it was in US.
I do remember how awed I was when it visited NYC when brand new 30 years ago. It was a view to the future I could only dream of then. And now my dreams have come true. 

the last time the symphony was in the US was January 2022

nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 2

Last time we were on Symphony was January 22 in Carribean and departed from Miami. Great trip just before bankruptcy.

During  Covid time, we have sailed Silversea,Silver Moon, Viking and Seabourn. We are looking so forward to April sailing on Symphony again. New staterooms are nice, but in the end, it is nearly  impossible to beat the total Crystal experience. Our opinion of course.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

You will find new Crystal even better than old Crystal. Waterside best restaurant at sea by far. New cabins quite nice. 
We have been on board for two months and not bored yet. Have booked a half dozen Crystal cruises over next 18 months. 
Bye bye Silversea, Seabourn and Explora. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Personally, I hope the new ships take a long time to arrive.  More years to keep enjoying the Symphony.

Just wishing the Symphony would be able to return to North America as I think my overseas travel days have come to an end.😪

Patty

• Like 4

Don’t even think it, Tillie. Every airport has wheelchairs and Symphony bell boys will happily wheel you from ship to shore in every port. We did it today in Singapore. Gets easier as you get older as long as you accept it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Personally, I hope the new ships take a long time to arrive.  More years to keep enjoying the Symphony.

I, too, love the old Crystal ships, but can Crystal survive without new ships?

Given the extended time it takes from conception to delivery of a new ship, I think Crystal's best hope is to purchase existing luxury ships from another cruise line...or merge with Seabourn.

Carnival, which owns Seabourn, has immense debt and has already sold off one of Seabourn's ships.  Perhaps it would be in both Crystal's and Carnival's best interests for A&K to acquire Seabourn.

• Like 1