Explora versus Crystal: Just the facts please!

Dr. Cocktail

There’s been a lot of misinformation regarding Explora vs Crystal that has been tossed around on these boards.

I thought I’d put my University Statistics Courses to use and clear the air a bit.

Crystal Symphony has 295 cabins, of which 71 are Ocean View with no balcony. These cabins are 215 square feet, slightly smaller than what you would find on a newer Carnival ship.

There are then 48 Sapphire suites clocking in at 430 square feet, again without a veranda.

So a luxurious 40% of the cabins don’t have a veranda.  When was the last time that you sailed without a veranda. Do you remember? I certainly don't!

An equally luxurious 33% of cabins are 215 square feet in total.  No wonder you get a paring knife …. you’ll need it to stab yourself effectively (not possible with a butter knife) after spending any time in these tiny rooms.  Not to worry, you can always go into the corridor if you need space to change your mind!

Let’s be fair and have a go at Crystal Serenity.   There are more verandas so the number of oceanview cabins drops to 16% of the total. But again, a whopping 30% are a luxurious 215 square feet or again, the same size as Carnival.  Knives out please….

Let’s mosey onto Explora 1. The majority of cabins are OT’s and GT’s , or Ocean Terraces and Grand Terraces which make up a whopping 80% of the capacity.  They are 301 square feet with balconies ranging from 75 to118 square feet.  On Crystal, the comparable cabin is an Aquamarine Veranda (and for those harping on Explora’s terminology, last I checked, Aquamarine was a colour and not indicative of anything else….) which is comparable to the OT’s with interior dimensions of  up to (extremely suspicious words) 323 square feel and a veranda of 86 square feet. 

Let’s continue with objective facts  and NOT subjective empirical statements and look at comparable per diems.

I have chosen a very similar itinerary for December of 2025 - we’ll use Canadian Dollars for both Crystal and Explora.

Crystal has an eight night voyage starting at $5500 pp for an oceanview cabin and $5650 for a veranda … about $1375 per couple per day, again in a tiny room.

The Aquamarine veranda is $7450 pp for a total of about $1863 per couple per day (as a reminder - about equivalent to an OT)

On almost the same days, Explora is also offering an 8 day itinerary … for $9600 or $1200 per couple per night.

Ok - Aquamarine $1863 a night vs OT at $1200 a night.

Let’s take it up a notch ….a Penthouse on Explora will be $9550 pp or $2400 per couple per night.  The same size room on Crystal doesn’t exist … it would be between an Aquamarine or Sapphire (Grande anyone? More “meaningless nomenclature”)  Veranda.  I split the difference in cost between the two and that would be $17500 or $2187 per couple per night.

ABOUT THE SAME AS EXPLORA.

Let’s repeat: the VAST MAJORITY of passengers on Explora totalling 80% of capacity  are sailing in cabins ridiculously superior to Crystal at a much reduced cost. Sailing on Crystal in the equivalent of an OT would cost 35% more!!!

That buys a lot of fruit knives, fish forks and other sundry items.  I invite all of you to check my math …. 

Leave emotional, subjective responses out of your arguments.

Just the facts please!!!!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

More than happy to have that type of discussion but how do you suggest things like Dining, Service and Entertainment be compared? What measurement scale do we use for them?

I’ve sailed a lot on Crystal over many years and am on Serenity now actually - I’ve sailed Explora once with another couple of cruises booked with them so definitely have views on both lines (as well as a few other luxury lines) - with both being more than acceptable to us for different reasons 

Have you sailed on both lines? I think being able to make comparisons based on first hand experience is far more relevant that a statistical comparison 

I know when I make decisions on who to sail with factors like the itinerary, the service and dining offerings as well as entertainment and enrichment to a lesser extent. Eventually I look at price and my per diems on what I’m actually paying for cruises vary from your comparison above - but constantly look for special offers

We typically sail entry level cabins and in the past that’s included the non veranda  rooms on both Crystal ships) - of course the OTs are bigger than Crystals entry level cabins - is there anyone who would suggest otherwise 

For my wife and I spend very little time in our rooms - and enjoy the public lounges and other facilities and the fact that there’s plenty of choice and capacity 

BTW - I really don’t care what sort of knife I get in my cabin and I never request fruit - just alcohol and water for the cabin for us

• Like 7

Clearly some factors that go into creating the onboard experience (apart from room size) favor Crystal. Of course Explora excels in some above Cystal, but not at all surprising to find that of people who have tried both you'll find some who favor Crystal.  Here's a few off the top of my head, others can likely add more details:

- Extensive library with librarian

- Wider range of entertainment and speakers, including movie theater, magician, and production shows

- More extensive complementary alcohol selection, with more reasonably priced revenue wines

- Daily updated menu in main dining room

- Can order off menu with sufficient notice

- Butler service for all cabins

- Longer and more diverse itineraries

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

More than happy to have that type of discussion but how do you suggest things like Dining, Service and Entertainment be compared? What measurement scale do we use for them?

I’ve sailed a lot on Crystal over many years and am on Serenity now actually - I’ve sailed Explora once with another couple of cruises booked with them so definitely have views on both lines (as well as a few other luxury lines) - with both being more than acceptable to us for different reasons 

Have you sailed on both lines? I think being able to make comparisons based on first hand experience is far more relevant that a statistical comparison 

I know when I make decisions on who to sail with factors like the itinerary, the service and dining offerings as well as entertainment and enrichment to a lesser extent. Eventually I look at price and my per diems on what I’m actually paying for cruises vary from your comparison above - but constantly look for special offers

We typically sail entry level cabins and in the past that’s included the non veranda  rooms on both Crystal ships) - of course the OTs are bigger than Crystals entry level cabins - is there anyone who would suggest otherwise 

For my wife and I spend very little time in our rooms - and enjoy the public lounges and other facilities and the fact that there’s plenty of choice and capacity 

BTW - I really don’t care what sort of knife I get in my cabin and I never request fruit - just alcohol and water for the cabin for us

20 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Clearly some factors that go into creating the onboard experience (apart from room size) favor Crystal. Of course Explora excels in some above Cystal, but not at all surprising to find that of people who have tried both you'll find some who favor Crystal.  Here's a few off the top of my head, others can likely add more details:

- Wider range of entertainment and speakers, including movie theater, magician, and production shows

- More extensive complementary alcohol selection, with more reasonably priced revenue wines

THESE are the exact sort of discussions that I wanted to start!!!

I haven't been on Crystal but one of the usual suspects here keeps posting and reposting and reposting again about how much he paid so I wanted to address that head on!

There have been far too many posts by people who haven't been on Explora who are reviewing it sight unseen and confidently stating "well, I know and I'm entitled to my opinions".

I wanted some actual comparisons and you've given them!

Stickman: I LOVE your posts and you've brought up some very interesting points on how do you compare and what is "luxury" and what is important to us in higher end cruises. My partner and I are late 50's/just turned 60 and we're both tall guys who need some room!  I'd be fine (and have been fine ) for smaller rooms on expedition cruises but I really like a bit of space to spread out in.   I could care less about a production show and actually run for cover when they're offered! Dining and service are extremely subjective so that gets dicey.  We always choose the itinerary/region we want to go to and then see what's on offer.

At this stage of my life, I'm happiest with a large cabin, some good lounge entertainment and food that uses quality ingredients.

John: again someone who I take seriously!  Of what you've listed, where Explora fails for me is the complimentary wines and general alcohol selection.  Itineraries will change as Explora expands to 6 ships.  I like the 4 dining venues on E but agree that Med Yacht Club and Fil Rouge should have some rotating items.  Again, the rest aren't that important to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trust me I am constantly comparing Crystal and Explora in my mind, particularly at the moment - the net is both my wife and I are agreed that we’re happy on both - with different cruising experiences but equally as pleasurable 

Heres some quick thoughts - certainly not an exhaustive list 

Dining is a tough one as there are venues on both that we would score similar locations higher on one over another and vice versa - one in particular we think is superb on Explora is Sakura - that’s not to say Umi Uma on Crystal isn’t very good but for our tastes we like the more extensive menu and the quality of the ingredients - having said that it’s a very close call. Equally Waterside on Crystal is excellent and the menu amazing - so that is also a winner in our view 

If Internet service is important to you I can tell you that Explora has a very fast and reliable Starlink implementation that I think sets a benchmark for Internet at sea - yes I know lots of lines have Starlink but in our experience  the results achieved varies considerably 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

spend very little time in our rooms

For me, spending time, especially with 2nd person, in a 215 sqft cabin w/o a balcony is not really an option anyhow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Trust me I am constantly comparing Crystal and Explora in my mind, particularly at the moment - the net is both my wife and I are agreed that we’re happy on both - with different cruising experiences but equally as pleasurable 

Heres some quick thoughts - certainly not an exhaustive list 

Dining is a tough one as there are venues on both that we would score similar locations higher on one over another and vice versa - one in particular we think is superb on Explora is Sakura - that’s not to say Umi Uma on Crystal isn’t very good but for our tastes we like the more extensive menu and the quality of the ingredients - having said that it’s a very close call. Equally Waterside on Crystal is excellent and the menu amazing - so that is also a winner in our view 

If Internet service is important to you I can tell you that Explora has a very fast and reliable Starlink implementation that I think sets a benchmark for Internet at sea - yes I know lots of lines have Starlink but in our experience  the results achieved varies considerably 

Continue to have a good time!

• Thanks 1

Last I checked, you weren't forced to book a Crystal ocean view or small veranda.  Is it a problem that they are able to offer such rooms to those who want to experience the luxury of the rest of the ship and save money on their cabin?  

My only cruise on Crystal – so far – was in one of those ocean views that you are dissing (7028).  [I see that it has now been relabeled as a Single!  how did we survive???]  We had a great cruise and I have been following New Crystal's offerings hoping that an appealing itinerary will fit my schedule.  This time we will probably upgrade to an Aquamarine Veranda but if sticker shock sets in, it's good to know that those Ocean Views are still available.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My only cruise on Crystal – so far – was in one of those ocean views that you are dissing (7028).  [I see that it has now been relabeled as a Single!  how did we survive???] 

That cabin is now available to solo cruisers at a pretty sharp price - now there’s another comparison across lines - prices for single cruisers…

Although we have solo cruiser coming with us on our next Explora cruise and she’s pretty happy with the relatively low single supplement - 25% I seem to recall - and on Explora she gets a full sized veranda (or Terrace 😉) suite 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Last I checked, you weren't forced to book a Crystal ocean view or small veranda.

Where did I say that someone was forcing me?  In your own words, I'm allowed to have an opinion. 

Is it a problem that they are able to offer such rooms to those who want to experience the luxury of the rest of the ship and save money on their cabin?  

It wouldn't be a problem if the the cabins were offered at a lesser price than Seabourn, Regent or Explora who all have larger cabins with verandas!

• Like 1

As with Stickman, we are really happy with both, for very different reasons. Cabins for us are a place to sleep, wash and change. Of course, if luxurious and bigger cabins are your thing, then naturally Explora wins hands down. For us, we love the food quality and service on both. However, if it's entertainment and enrichment you're after, then it has to be Crystal.

At present, subject to pricing, it will be Crystal for us by a whisker. The big downer on Explora is the never changing menus and poorer inclusive wines. Now if these were to change and entertainment and enrichment continues to evolve, a very difficult decision arises.

So, both lines appeal for very different reasons, as the experience is so different. We feel so so lucky to be able to enjoy such stellar products.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

As with Stickman, we are really happy with both, for very different reasons. Cabins for us are a place to sleep, wash and change. Of course, if luxurious and bigger cabins are your thing, then naturally Explora wins hands down. For us, we love the food quality and service on both. However, if it's entertainment and enrichment you're after, then it has to be Crystal.

At present, subject to pricing, it will be Crystal for us by a whisker. The big downer on Explora is the never changing menus and poorer inclusive wines. Now if these were to change and entertainment and enrichment continues to evolve, a very difficult decision arises.

So, both lines appeal for very different reasons, as the experience is so different. We feel so so lucky to be able to enjoy such stellar products.

Excellent points raised - I will be curious to the changes on E since my last 🚢 cruise.

Since November, 42 days Explora GT, Serenity 21 days Deck 7 midship.  Solo.

Basically subscribe to what has been written by Stickman.   After 14 days I am ready to get off Explora.  Not true on Serenity.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Excellent points raised - I will be curious to the changes on E since my last 🚢 cruise.

As long as the Moët isn’t downgraded by the time you sail.  🥺

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

As long as the Moët isn’t downgraded by the time you sail.  🥺

In all honesty, I’m not the biggest Moët guy….🤷‍♂️.  I’ll get flamed but I actually prefer their California version.

As long as it’s not Montaudon swill served on Seabourn!

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Cocktail said:

In all honesty, I’m not the biggest Moët guy….🤷‍♂️.  I’ll get flamed but I actually prefer their California version.

As long as it’s not Montaudon swill served on Seabourn!

👍

It’s just a little disconcerting to see some things being downgraded already, when Explora isn’t even a year in operation, yet.  From what I can see, the Champagne has already been downgraded from Veuve to Moët and, it’s been mentioned here that there’ll be a step down from that, too.  Plus, the complaints about the quality of wines on offer don’t instil a sense of a ‘luxury’ experience.  

I accept your point about not judging the product until it’s been experienced, but it’s disappointing to book a cruise, then find out, when onboard (or even beforehand) that you won’t get to enjoy what had been included at the time of booking.

I have friends embarking in a couple of days’ time.  I'm looking forward to hearing their first-hand account of their onboard experiences. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

👍

It’s just a little disconcerting to see some things being downgraded already, when Explora isn’t even a year in operation, yet.  From what I can see, the Champagne has already been downgraded from Veuve to Moët and, it’s been mentioned here that there’ll be a step down from that, too.  Plus, the complaints about the quality of wines on offer don’t instil a sense of a ‘luxury’ experience.  

I accept your point about not judging the product until it’s been experienced, but it’s disappointing to book a cruise, then find out, when onboard (or even beforehand) that you won’t get to enjoy what had been included at the time of booking.

I have friends embarking in a couple of days’ time.  I'm looking forward to hearing their first-hand account of their onboard experiences. 

Me too - I will post my thoughts this second time around!

Even if I account for one being an 8-Night cruise and the other being an 8-Day cruise, your numbers don't make sense on the cost/day.

Also, good thing you didn't post this on the Crystal board or someone would likely have put a hit out on you😁

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Even if I account for one being an 8-Night cruise and the other being an 8-Day cruise, your numbers don't make sense on the cost/day.

Also, good thing you didn't post this on the Crystal board or someone would likely have put a hit out on you😁

I'm not being at all sarcastic when I say "please run the numbers again and point out my errors"! You need to explain and show your math. As I said, "just the facts, please" and prove me wrong. I have been known to occasionally get my math wrong!

Otherwise you're just making a subjective statement.

Use one of the websites that show you the number of cabins and grades and square footages to help you out.

I chose extremely similar Caribbean itineraries. You now have a project!

ps - I could care less what they think on the Crystal boards!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

So if you want to compare facts:

•  Crystal Serenity – 68,870 tons / 740 pax = 93.1 tons/pax

740 pax / 650 crew = 1.1 pax/crew

•  Crystal Symphony – 51,044 tons / 606 pax = 84.2 tons/pax

606 pax / 545 crew = 1.1 pax/crew

•  Explora I – 63,900 tons / 922 pax capacity = 69.3 tons/pax

922 pax / 700 crew = 1.3 pax/crew

So the Crystal ships may be old, but thanks to the renovations/pax reductions they now offer more space and more crew per passenger.  I can't find another existing luxury ship with more space per pax than Serenity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been on NC since the reboot.  We loved OC.  The food and service were top notch.   I was not a big fan of their cabins and it was the one negative in cruising with them.  Due to our wonderful cruise on Explora in December, we have two cruises booked with Explora. We looked at doing a 2025 cruise with Crystal but the price point per day was too high.  We can receive much better value on Explora, which includes a bigger standard cabin.  Another downside is there is no casino onboard the Crystal ships.  I believe they are planning to bring them back.  It is a nice change of pace.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

From what I can see, the Champagne has already been downgraded from Veuve to Moët and, it’s been mentioned here that there’ll be a step down from that, too.  Plus, the complaints about the quality of wines on offer don’t instil a sense of a ‘luxury’ experience.  

When we were on last Sept the standard pour around the ship was Moet - you did get a bottle of Veuve in your entry level suite on embarkation but it would be replenished with Moet 

I have seen it reported that the Moet is being replaced by another champagne, Mercier which is also owned by Louis Vuiton Moët Hennessy

By way of comparison Crystals standard champagne pour is Jaquart which according to Vivino is a more expensive champagne than Mercier

We were happy with the included wines on Explora and in keeping with the thread title here’s both lines included wines (Explora from Sept and Crystal from currently) - Crystal list is more expansive but as I said we found Explora’s wines fine 

Crystal

IMG_1433.thumb.jpeg.15b34aec5bfcf7e35c14d6ccbdba738b.jpeg

Explora 

IMG_4120.thumb.jpeg.a2ce8f9b1631130800bb71b904365d07.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So if you want to compare facts:

•  Crystal Serenity – 68,870 tons / 740 pax = 93.1 tons/pax

740 pax / 650 crew = 1.1 pax/crew

•  Crystal Symphony – 51,044 tons / 606 pax = 84.2 tons/pax

606 pax / 545 crew = 1.1 pax/crew

•  Explora I – 63,900 tons / 922 pax capacity = 69.3 tons/pax

922 pax / 700 crew = 1.3 pax/crew

and neither ship is sailing at anywhere near full capacity - bear in mind these numbers are for double occupancy where possible, in every cabin. A very unlikely event

Right now Serenity would have around half the max capacity onboard and it feels very spacious - and retains what I believe is a full complement of crew. You don’t wait for anything…and the service is top notch 

I think the space and ratio of crew on both ships is pretty good and you don’t wait for attention or a seat anywhere 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 5:54 PM, johng75370 said:

I would definitely pay much more for a librarian and a magician.