Explora versus Crystal: Just the facts please!

Dr. Cocktail

7 hours ago, Eric from San Diego said:

No cruise line can ever be a better deal than any other.  A thousand lobster tails loaded on in Athens costs the same for seabourne, exploration, crystal or princess.  This is true for 1000 gallons of bunker fuel or 100 Indonesian wait staff.   If the food is better on explora then crystal, then they have to skimp on entertainment.  If the alcohol is better quality on seabourne then explora, they will have to charge more for the cruise or skimp on something else. All cruise lines from carnival on up get their fuel, food, alcohol, staff and entertainment from the same vendors.  None of them has a secret source for filet mignon or Moet Chandon that is any cheaper than the others.  If they did, the other lines would soon find out and copy them.  Different cruise lines emphasize different features, but they are all playing the same game with one set of costs.  

This is only true to the extent of sourcing. Like onshore businesses, different cruse lines invest more or less in staff training, in quality of chefs, in daily spend per passenger on food, in onboard culture/style. etc. These are some of the things that make some cruise lines more suitable for some people, and not others. So no, cruise lines are not offering the same experience, even when charging a similar price.

• Like 1

The more space per passenger is an interesting position.  I'm less interested in the overall ratio and more interested in the space at the places I spend time in (cabin, bar, restaurants, etc.).  While Crystal's ratio is better, the cabins are very small.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, parallax said:

The more space per passenger is an interesting position.  I'm less interested in the overall ratio and more interested in the space at the places I spend time in (cabin, bar, restaurants, etc.).  While Crystal's ratio is better, the cabins are very small.  

I was also bothered by the simple space/passenger computation based on gross tonnage/ passenger count. I think I remember seeing a computation several years ago based on ‘passenger space’ / passenger count. I fully recognize that gross tonnage is directly related to total ship space, but does not take into account ship design that may have been used to maximize passenger friendly space. 

On 2/26/2024 at 2:29 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

THESE are the exact sort of discussions that I wanted to start!!!

I haven't been on Crystal but one of the usual suspects here keeps posting and reposting and reposting again about how much he paid so I wanted to address that head on!

There have been far too many posts by people who haven't been on Explora who are reviewing it sight unseen and confidently stating "well, I know and I'm entitled to my opinions".

I wanted some actual comparisons and you've given them!

Stickman: I LOVE your posts and you've brought up some very interesting points on how do you compare and what is "luxury" and what is important to us in higher end cruises. My partner and I are late 50's/just turned 60 and we're both tall guys who need some room!  I'd be fine (and have been fine ) for smaller rooms on expedition cruises but I really like a bit of space to spread out in.   I could care less about a production show and actually run for cover when they're offered! Dining and service are extremely subjective so that gets dicey.  We always choose the itinerary/region we want to go to and then see what's on offer.

At this stage of my life, I'm happiest with a large cabin, some good lounge entertainment and food that uses quality ingredients.

John: again someone who I take seriously!  Of what you've listed, where Explora fails for me is the complimentary wines and general alcohol selection.  Itineraries will change as Explora expands to 6 ships.  I like the 4 dining venues on E but agree that Med Yacht Club and Fil Rouge should have some rotating items.  Again, the rest aren't that important to me.

We loved EJ just sailed on Oceania Vista which was much more crowded and it did of course have more people.  I wrote an extensively comparison on the EJ board 

• Like 2

My take is that pricing is evolutionary. I recall that prior to launch Explora, in a lenghty presentation, stated that they would not discount or offer promotions, preferring to sail with many unsold cabins. My, that changed very quickly ! Crystal have indicated that they were not too worried with initial loadings, as they felt that many already had tied up their travel plans. Let's see how things develop, as their current passenger count on many sailings is very low, although some are very full. At present, they have an attractive upgrade offer. I have certain reservations preventing me from booking a further Explora cruise at present but my mind is certainly not closed. As for Crystal. two cruises booked, another in mind but too pricey for now. 

To sum up, I think the introduction of so much increased inventory in this sector means that optimum pricing levels have yet to stabilise.

• Like 4

On 2/29/2024 at 4:13 AM, commodoredave said:

While one can nitpick any set of facts, the bottom line here is that Crystal is more expensive than Explora at this point in time. Rather than arguing this fact, it would be more productive for Crystal fans to explain why they believe the higher price is worth it, as has been done on another thread. For me, the fact that Crystal has a librarian and a magician is certainly enough to justify the higher fares!

As I have recently done both Explora and New Crystal, my comparison would be quite simple. MSC should sell their ships to A&K, Explora has by far the more beautiful newer ships. Unfortunately they have No Idea how to run a luxury cruise line, something that Crystal and A&K are masters of. Crystal badly needs newer ships. Explora badly needs better service, training and systems. When you board Crystal it is like a family welcoming you aboard. Plus their entertainment is better; their activities are better. Food on both is inconsistent; some outstanding; some good and some not up the standards of a luxury line. At the moment I would still choose Crystal, but hoping they somehow find a way to merge the two.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, artbcpa said:

As I have recently done both Explora and New Crystal, my comparison would be quite simple. MSC should sell their ships to A&K, Explora has by far the more beautiful newer ships. Unfortunately they have No Idea how to run a luxury cruise line, something that Crystal and A&K are masters of. Crystal badly needs newer ships. Explora badly needs better service, training and systems. When you board Crystal it is like a family welcoming you aboard. Plus their entertainment is better; their activities are better. Food on both is inconsistent; some outstanding; some good and some not up the standards of a luxury line. At the moment I would still choose Crystal, but hoping they somehow find a way to merge the two.

Interesting idea! On Explora since Friday. First impressions are great. Boarded and sitting down for lunch in 35 minutes. Staff are delightful, friendly and eager to serve - I want to take some home! Food in Emporium, Fil Rouge and Marble and Co has been up there with the best cruise lines. It’s still early, but if the rest of the cruise is this good, we will be returning soon.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

14 days max is  my suggestion when booking Explora.  The max I can do on a ship is about 30 days and Crystal is the company where it can be done gracefully. 

Easy to buy idea MSC  altering  plans with Explora and selling two ships to Crystal would be a nice fit.  It's not like the owner of one is a stranger to the other.

Edited by saminina
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saminina said:

14 days max is  my suggestion when booking Explora.  The max I can do on a ship is about 30 days and Crystal is the company where it can be done gracefully. 

Easy to buy idea MSC  altering  plans with Explora and selling two ships to Crystal would be a nice fit.  It's not like the owner of one is a stranger to the other.

We did 16 days on Explora and I really wasn't ready to get off.  I see no reason for MSC to want or need to sell these ships.  Its a good time to book now while the prices are generally fairly reasonable.  

• Like 3

A lot depends on itinerary. There is a severe paucity of shade in the pool areas, which makes Caribbean cruises a big challenge. On one now and would never do another with EJ. However, we love the crew, ship and food, so would return on itineraries where pool shade is not an issue 

4 hours ago, saminina said:

That’s a good description of Crystal- graceful. I will gladly try them again when their prices begin to reflect reality.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Interesting idea! On Explora since Friday. First impressions are great. Boarded and sitting down for lunch in 35 minutes. Staff are delightful, friendly and eager to serve - I want to take some home! Food in Emporium, Fil Rouge and Marble and Co has been up there with the best cruise lines. It’s still early, but if the rest of the cruise is this good, we will be returning soon.

We are boarding in Miami after you debark. Keep the crew happy for us!! How full is the ship on your leg? Any info on numbers for the next leg?

52 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

We are boarding in Miami after you debark. Keep the crew happy for us!! How full is the ship on your leg? Any info on numbers for the next leg?

I heard that 500 embarked in Bridgetown and another 100 are doing B2Bs.  As an FYI, no kids, and only one teenager, has been spotted so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

That’s a good description of Crystal- graceful. I will gladly try them again when their prices begin to reflect reality.

Dave: I’m presently in the shade on the starboard side under the funnel - find me!

16 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Playing scrabble with the Captain right now. Will see you later at the bar.

Good luck, I used to love playing Scrabble until I had a horrible accident - accidentally swallowed a bag of tiles.  Suffered through a week of nasty vowel movements, and in the end it spelled DISASTER.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

27 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Good luck, I used to love playing Scrabble until I had a horrible accident - accidentally swallowed a bag of tiles.  Suffered through a week of nasty vowel movements, and in the end it spelled DISASTER.  

LOL

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I heard that 500 embarked in Bridgetown and another 100 are doing B2Bs.  As an FYI, no kids, and only one teenager, has been spotted so far. 

Have seen one toddler and one infant so far. Both well behaved.

Edited by commodoredave
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Just checked with guest services. 650 this week, 400 next week. You will have a half empty ship to enjoy!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Just checked with guest services. 650 this week, 400 next week. You will have a half empty ship to enjoy!!

Thanks for the info. I hope it is not going to feel too empty.

6 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

If you can only fill half a brand new ship in March in the Caribbean it is surely not a good sign for the future. 

Agree. They have some issues to deal with on the operational side. For example, just got off a 7-day Caribbean cruise with Explora, and didn’t receive a single flyer about booking future cruises or meeting with the cruise consultant. This is our first cruise in years where we haven’t booked a future cruise on board.

9 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Agree. They have some issues to deal with on the operational side. For example, just got off a 7-day Caribbean cruise with Explora, and didn’t receive a single flyer about booking future cruises or meeting with the cruise consultant. This is our first cruise in years where we haven’t booked a future cruise on board.

It seemed like you enjoyed your time onboard.  Is it due to lack of shade or uninteresting itineraries that influenced your decision?

8 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It seemed like you enjoyed your time onboard.  Is it due to lack of shade or uninteresting itineraries that influenced your decision?

No. We book on board because there are usually good deals offered to do so. For example, on our Amazon cruise with Seabourn in October, they promoted several great deals including some to the Antarctic. We bought one. As Explora offered us no incentives, we might as well wait until they do one day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1