Unlimited Open Bar question re: specialty coffees

dmwnc1959

Just dawned upon me 😳 that (if I am reading this correctly) it DOES NOT include specialty coffees? Was price comparing NCL packages with those of Princess Cruises (which does include specialty coffees). Does Norwegian Jade have a coffee bar other than in the atrium where i can get specialty coffees? 😁 

IMG_7116.jpeg

Edited by dmwnc1959

• dmwnc1959 changed the title to Unlimited Open Bar question re: specialty coffees

No, it does not include specialty coffee. If you don't think you will drink 2-3 alcoholic drinks per day (basically the same cost as the $22 a day gratuity), you might be better off just paying as you go and getting your coffee on the side. And the ship only has the atrium cafe, where they serve Starbucks products, but not a dedicated Starbucks (so no SB app or gift cards). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Just dawned upon me 😳 that (if I am reading this correctly) it DOES NOT include specialty coffees? 

They do offer a Starbucks package for $12.95 a day. For a cruise with a lot of sea days I figured it would be worth it so I booked it for my next two cruises. I am going to keep track of how much I really drink and see if it's worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

They do offer a Starbucks package for $12.95 a day. For a cruise with a lot of sea days I figured it would be worth it so I booked it for my next two cruises. I am going to keep track of how much I really drink and see if it's worth it.

I looked at adding the Starbucks Package this evening, and at nearly $390 it’s better for me if I just pay as I go along - I might get one specialty coffee every other day - and that’s a much better option. I did find a Starbucks menu posted by @BirdTravels on another thread…

IMG_3752.jpeg

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3754.jpeg

I’m new to NCL. sailing on Sun soon. With a beverage package can you order the drinks from servers by the pool? Can you get Starbucks refreshers if that is your package from same servers? How about at specialty restaurants and mdr? If we have the Starbucks package can we order those drinks in the restaurants? Package rules does say can be used in restaurants - but want to confirm it’s more than just simple coffee… we want the package for the ice/cold frappes ect. And want to drink at meals - hopfully without having to stand in line at the “coffee shop”. 

thanks! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Auralee said:

I’m new to NCL. sailing on Sun soon.

With a beverage package can you order the drinks from servers by the pool?

Yes. You can order drinks from any waiter or bartender anywhere on the ship. 

Can you get Starbucks refreshers if that is your package from same servers?

Starbucks is its own store normally located in the Atrium of the ship. You would have to order any Starbucks-specific drinks there. 

How about at specialty restaurants and mdr?

If we have the Starbucks package can we order those drinks in the restaurants? Package rules does say can be used in restaurants - but want to confirm it’s more than just simple coffee… we want the package for the ice/cold frappes ect. And want to drink at meals - hopfully without having to stand in line at the “coffee shop”.

Most restaurants "proudly serve Starbuck products". So, they will have a coffee machine to make espressos, cappuccinos, and lattes. Your package would cover the cost of those coffees. It is a coffee machine. No frappes, etc You would have to go and stand in line at the Starbucks store to get that. 

image.png.f2b2f296a4fc5f49d63b8b85c97f1717.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I looked at adding the Starbucks Package this evening, and at nearly $390 it’s better for me if I just pay as I go along - I might get one specialty coffee every other day - and that’s a much better option. I did find a Starbucks menu posted by @BirdTravels on another thread…

If you upgrade to FAS Plus, you get Starbucks, top-shelf liquor, unlimited wifi, excursion credits, and additional specialty dining meals.  At $49pp/pd ($42pp/pd if solo), I consider it worth it even though I don't necessarily care about the premium liquor.  I just can't survive without wifi, appreciate having specialty dining, and would otherwise spend $100 on coffee over seven days, so YMMV.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2024 at 6:31 AM, BirdTravels said:

With a beverage package can you order the drinks from servers by the pool?

Can you get Starbucks refreshers if that is your package from same servers?

Starbucks is its own store normally located in the Atrium of the ship. You would have to order any Starbucks-specific drinks there. 

How about at specialty restaurants and mdr?

If we have the Starbucks package can we order those drinks in the restaurants? Package rules does say can be used in restaurants - but want to confirm it’s more than just simple coffee… we want the package for the ice/cold frappes ect. And want to drink at meals - hopfully without having to stand in line at the “coffee shop”.

Most restaurants "proudly serve Starbuck products". So, they will have a coffee machine to make espressos, cappuccinos, and lattes. Your package would cover the cost of those coffees. It is a coffee machine. No frappes, etc You would have to go and stand in line at the Starbucks store to get that. 

image.png.f2b2f296a4fc5f49d63b8b85c97f1717.png

Thank you. We are going to have to re-think this package. (We have fas~ but opted out of the alcoholic drink package as we don’t drink and 700$ each just for the gratuities wasn’t worth it!! ) Approx 300$ each for the Starbucks drink package was a bit more reasonable and sounded fun to try the drinks.. but with limited mobility the idea of standing in line each time seems unreasonable since others with a drink package can just ask any server for a drink!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Auralee said:

Thank you. We are going to have to re-think this package. (We have fas~ but opted out of the alcoholic drink package as we don’t drink and 700$ each just for the gratuities wasn’t worth it!! ) Approx 300$ each for the Starbucks drink package was a bit more reasonable and sounded fun to try the drinks.. but with limited mobility the idea of standing in line each time seems unreasonable since others with a drink package can just ask any server for a drink!!

If the gratuities were $700, how long was the cruise? 

38 minutes ago, Auralee said:

LOTS of great questions I didn’t even consider! Had the specialty coffee package on my last Princess and Royal Caribbean cruises and there were always several places to grab a fancy coffee. On NCL at least restaurants will be able to follow up a meal with a tasty coffee-styled beverage? Don’t really do Frappuccino, but with the only place cracking out those iced-delights in the atrium it does put a limitation on my desire to stand in a long line. 

😁

Edited by dmwnc1959

13 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

LOTS of great questions I didn’t even consider! Had the specialty coffee package on my last Princess and Royal Caribbean cruises and there were always several places to grab a fancy coffee. On NCL at least restaurants will be able to follow up a meal with a tasty coffee-styled beverage? Don’t really do Frappuccino, but with the only place cracking out those iced-delights in the atrium it does put a limitation on my desire to stand in a long line. 

😁

this is how I sort of cheat on the specialty coffees.  I go to the buffet, get a glass 1/2 filled with regular coffee.  I then go to the soft service ice cream station, add the soft serve into the coffee glass.  Then go back to the coffee station and top off with just a bit more coffee.  Obviously that is not a specialty mocha frappo non-whipped whatever, but it is still a tasty mix.  Maybe add hot chocolate to the mix.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

this is how I sort of cheat on the specialty coffees.  I go to the buffet, get a glass 1/2 filled with regular coffee.  I then go to the soft service ice cream station, add the soft serve into the coffee glass.  Then go back to the coffee station and top off with just a bit more coffee.  Obviously that is not a specialty mocha frappo non-whipped whatever, but it is still a tasty mix.  Maybe add hot chocolate to the mix.

That sounds horrible. What a way to ruin soft serve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

YUM!!! Actually sounds fantastic! We have to try it with the hot chocolate mix. 😋

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

What a way to ruin soft serve

I'm not sure it's possible to ruin NCL's soft serve.  How would you know it's ruined?  My thought was it sounded like a way to ruin a cup of coffee... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Auralee said:

The servers run back and forth to the pool bar right there, they don’t have time to go to the atrium to get specialty coffees. It’s bar service.

Going on my first NCL cruise in about 2 weeks, have the unlimited that came with the cruise (not the upgrade).  Part of that cost was paying for the gratuities.  When you get a drink onboard do you just scan your card or sign a slip.  Does the tip go to those bartenders?  Do people still tip the bartenders or is the gratuities you paid what is expected of you when you get that package?

7 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Or just hot chocolate and soft serve.. this might be our alternative!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The servers run back and forth to the pool bar right there, they don’t have time to go to the atrium to get specialty coffees. It’s bar service.

I’m more interested in the non-alcoholic/ non-pop ice drinks/ refreshers - I really don’t care for coffee even. Just want a cold drink by the pool like everyone else. 

8 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I would use less coffee and top it off with a shot of Kaluha from the bar 🙂

8 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

😁

Ok called Norwegian and it’s confirmed - only way to get the icy Starbucks drinks is to stand in line yourself at the atrium coffee bar. We cancelled our packages and will just use hot chocolate or coffee with ice cream. And buy as we go if we want something special. — sad. Really limited beverage options for non- drinkers trying to avoid pop! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1