Holland America Line Adds "Deal or No Deal" Interactive Game Show to Its Entertainment Roster

mwj

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-line-adds-deal-or-no-deal-interactive-game-show-to-its-entertainment-roster-302070037.html

Holland America Line has expanded its entertainment offering to launch the popular TV game show brand Deal or No Deal on nine of its cruise ships. Powered by TimePlay, a leader in interactive technology, this show format has a proven track record due to its highly adaptable design and strong brand identity and is now on over 85 ships worldwide.

This high-energy live hosted experience invites contestants on stage to deal for cash, and what makes this game unique is that everyone in the audience also gets to play along for a chance to win big, including a free cruise. The program will run once or twice per voyage, hosted on the World Stage or Rolling Stone Lounge, depending on the Holland America Line ship. 

... really ???

• Thanks 1

"TimePlay's platform connects audiences' phones to a main screen to compete in real time, turning watchers into players. Its history launched in cinema and cruise, monetizing entertainment via hosted games and innovative pre-shows, resulting in high returns and high entertainment scores. "

Note the term "monetizing" .

2 minutes ago, MaryBethV said:

We were on the Rotterdam last week and noticed this on the program. However, you had to purchase tickets to attend - so we didn't go.

Wow! You had to purchase a $25 “bingo” card to even enter the theater to watch the show. That’s a first! We’ve been to them on some of the other PCL, NCL, and X ships we sail on and mostly just watch for the enjoyment. I guess I can see the limitation if they hold it in a small lounge. But hopefully HAL changes their “purchase only” entrance requirement in the future, especially if it’s held in the main theater. 

I played the game on a Celebrity ship a couple of years ago.   It was a total waste. I think the card was around $35.  Those in the audience that won some of the rounds got less than $10.   I’m surprised the game is still out there. 

Edited by ncgolferette

They had it on the Nieuw Statendam TA in November. You didn't have to purchase a card to enter the theatre, only if you wanted the chance to play along for prizes. 

It wasn't anything to write home about but considering it was held during an otherwise dead period during the day, it was somewhat fun to watch. The players (the ones on the stage) often have quite funny reactions.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

They had it on the Nieuw Statendam TA in November. You didn't have to purchase a card to enter the theatre, only if you wanted the chance to play along for prizes. 

It wasn't anything to write home about but considering it was held during an otherwise dead period during the day, it was somewhat fun to watch. The players (the ones on the stage) often have quite funny reactions.

Could you use OBC to purchase a card?

13 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Meh.  Reminds me of a Carnival Cruise Line kind of thing.  If people like it, no harm, as long as it doesn't replace something I like to do! 😉

~Nancy

Yes if it takes the place of Adult Coloring, I will be upset. 😉

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, mwj said:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/holland-america-line-adds-deal-or-no-deal-interactive-game-show-to-its-entertainment-roster-302070037.html

Holland America Line has expanded its entertainment offering to launch the popular TV game show brand Deal or No Deal on nine of its cruise ships. Powered by TimePlay, a leader in interactive technology, this show format has a proven track record due to its highly adaptable design and strong brand identity and is now on over 85 ships worldwide.

This high-energy live hosted experience invites contestants on stage to deal for cash, and what makes this game unique is that everyone in the audience also gets to play along for a chance to win big, including a free cruise. The program will run once or twice per voyage, hosted on the World Stage or Rolling Stone Lounge, depending on the Holland America Line ship. 

... really ???

Thanks for sharing.

I'll be the odd one out and say I kinda like it.

Watched it on NCL cruise (didn't buy a card to play as it was optional) and it was fun enough although certainly not the highlight of the cruise.  I  always liked that game for the math and statistical decision making part, so can be fun to watch and pass out your advice along with the rest of the audience .

On 2/27/2024 at 2:56 PM, mwj said:

... really ???

just when we thought entertainment could not get worse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, REOVA said:

Yes if it takes the place of Adult Coloring, I will be upset. 😉

Exactly -- the bar is pretty low already.

12 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't think all that show stuff is necessary.

1) It's not replacing any other activity.

2) It's utilizing a facility that's not being used for anything else at that time.

3) No one is forced to attend or participate.

4) Perhaps "monetizing" the World Theatre will generate enough funds to put on proper entertainment in the evenings.

• Like 5

It seems like a fun activity if you are travelling with a big group and one of the group members gets called up to the stage, like Price is Right. There are a few in my group willing to spend $25 on a ticket. I'll be on the lookout during my Med cruise this summer for this activity.

52 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't think all that show stuff is necessary.

Pretty sure all that is necessary are cabins and a place to eat...

Other stuff is just nice to have, and having variety in all the extra stuff is generally good thing.

• Like 3