Is it the end for stops in Bar Harbor?

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, from what I see, this starts immediately.  Instead of one limit for shoulder months, and another limit for summer months, the 1000 limit is year round, even though ships don't call in the winter.

Thanks for the information 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, yakcruiser said:

Only a matter of time until somebody starts a thread blaming NCL for removing Bar Harbor from their itineraries.

Lol

I had an idea something was going on, we booked the cruise months ago and NCL never had any excursions listed for Bar Harbor. I will miss tendering 

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I've been to Bar Harbor a half dozen times during the spring summer and fall. Lots of non cruise tourist there, I don't think they are too worried about the loss

Perhaps, and only having been there a couple of times, it seemed overcrowded (and not just due to cruisers).  We are bigger fans of Boothbay and other locales.  Maybe that is what it will take for this to stop, other nearby communities welcoming cruisers and their dollars.   Even though they may be fewer dollars it would be more than from land tourists they are not currently getting anyway.

21 hours ago, Laszlo said:

We are on the Gem in June, I guess we will have another sea day or maybe stop in Portland or Newport returning to Boston. I would love another day in Bermuda but looking at the schedule that isn't happening

@Laszlo I am curious though as when the itinerary change will be announced as we are on the June 14 2024 Boston - Bermuda sailing. Love Portland (used to live right on the Eastern Prom) and Newport...I suspect an additional day in Bermuda would be out of the question due to berth spaces. However, there would be the potential for docking at St George's for the day - it would be a tender, but still...an extra day in Bermuda!

Bermuda was our home for over 2 years and 3.5 days is just not enough time to see friends and visit our favorite spots!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, amygutman said:

@Laszlo I am curious though as when the itinerary change will be announced as we are on the June 14 2024 Boston - Bermuda sailing. Love Portland (used to live right on the Eastern Prom) and Newport...I suspect an additional day in Bermuda would be out of the question due to berth spaces. However, there would be the potential for docking at St George's for the day - it would be a tender, but still...an extra day in Bermuda!

Bermuda was our home for over 2 years and 3.5 days is just not enough time to see friends and visit our favorite spots!

Warmest, Amy

NCL could email an announcement this week or not until right before the first cruise of the season. We have received itinerary changes twice, one was three months before the cruise the other was the day of the cruise Lol

If Bar Harbor is truly cancelled they will wait until they have figure out what they will do, a sea day, a day in Portland or Newport

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

"The current MOA, which set a passenger capacity at 3,800 passengers for May, June, September and October and 3,500 passengers during July and August, was set to expire at the end of the year before the town extended it into 2024 for existing bookings. New reservations will not be accepted under these terms."

https://www.mdislander.com/news/politics/current-moa-to-continue-for-bar-harbors-existing-cruise-line-bookings-in-2024/article_17587612-a0f9-11ee-ab73-bbc3769a410b.html

The Town Council already accepted the NCL bookings through this Summer.  There are already written agreements in place, limiting to 3500 passengers over this Summer.

The new policies will take effect on new future reservations. But should not effect the 2024 booking.

Now, I saw posts indicating that there is an October NCL cruise that isn't on the Bar Harbor schedule. I have no idea why it isn't on the Bar Harbor schedule -- But that suggests it already wasn't on the schedule, even before the court upheld the new policies.

I admit I'm not 100% certain about the ability of the Town Council to void the booking they already accepted. 

But the Town Council is supposedly meeting this week to discuss implementing the ruling. So we should find out this week if they intend to try to void or re-negotiate the bookings they already accepted for 2024.  

Edited by havoc315
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, shof515 said:

I am on the Breakaway in the middle of October.  Bar Harbor ship schedule here https://maine.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Bar Harbor does not show the breakaway in port on October 16 or 23. Breakaway is suppose to be there every Wednesday in October

Another oddity is breakaway is listed as port a call in Boston in the middle of October:

https://www.massport.com/flynn-cruiseport/cruise-directory/cruise-schedule

something is up with Breakaway Canada/New England itinerary with a bar harbor cancellation .i wonder how long it will take Norwegian to send me a a notice me about itinerary changes

We are on the Breakaway at the end of Sept. and as of right now it's still on the port schedule. We'll see what happens.  I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if Boston was substitued

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jenjohncourt said:

I hope it’s not canceled. Going on the Breakaway in September. Looking forward to that stop. 

Looks like we are good for 2024

22 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Thank you @Laszlo! It'll be safe for me to travel to Bar Harbor beginning in 2025. I don't want to hit the park on a day all the cruise passengers descend. 

I've been there a number of times in the summer, no cruise ships around and the place was packed. Will be there on July 4th ... Not sure if we will even get off Lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Looks like we are good for 2024

I've been there a number of times in the summer, no cruise ships around and the place was packed. Will be there on July 4th ... Not sure if we will even get off Lol

And that's why I don't want cruise ships in port too! The place is already crazy! Don't need a few thousand of us cruisers crowding around too!!! I'm all for Bar Harbor vetoing us from going there. There are a few places in the world too special for such massive crowds. 

I'm glad you'll get there, even if it's just to see the view from the ship of the islands and mountains! 

On 3/2/2024 at 10:15 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

I am going to venture a guess, that in about 5 years or less, all these ports that are banning cruise ships and tourists will do an about face.  Many of those mom/pop shops make their yearly income just off the cruise ships and tourists.  Once all the revenue goes away, they will eventually have to close up, or shorten the days they are open, and lay off employees.  I used to own a business in a festival/tourist area.  During certain times, I would make over 4 times my monthly sales.  Those extra dollars helped me stay afloat during the slow times.

BH isn't like most ports. Acadia is often the most annually visited state park by volume in the country, it has a thriving tourist trade in the summer, and most of all an extremely wealthy summer and yearround population. In fact, that affluent population was instrumental in this ban. No worries about the town/restaurants/shops surviving. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 8:19 PM, Alatraveler1 said:

Perhaps, and only having been there a couple of times, it seemed overcrowded (and not just due to cruisers).  We are bigger fans of Boothbay and other locales.  Maybe that is what it will take for this to stop, other nearby communities welcoming cruisers and their dollars.   Even though they may be fewer dollars it would be more than from land tourists they are not currently getting anyway.

Many don't have the capacity/infrastructure for a cruise ship. But, I do know they have been updating the large petrochemical docks in Seasport in the hope to attract cruise ships, that may be an option down the road. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 5:22 PM, Laszlo said:

My non NCL TA contacted me just to say our cruise on the Gem is not effected 

Great to know...though I have to admit, would love to see Portland again (oh...Gilbert's...I miss you so). 

On 3/2/2024 at 10:29 AM, chengkp75 said:

Frankly, I think we in Portland would look forward to overnight stays for the ships, allowing the passengers to sample a lot more of our fine restaurants, many of which don't open for lunch.

I'd go to $3 Dewey's any time!!!!!

Elvis

• Like 1

One of the bright spots during the pandemic was being able to enjoy Acadia NP in the middle of summer without the typical summer crowds.  BH, Acadia, and MDI will be fine without large cruise ships stopping.  Maybe it will lead to an overnight in Portland instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maine's Bar Harbor is allowing cruise calls for the 2024 season that were booked before the November 2022 citizens' vote implementing a 1,000-person/day landing cap. But 2025 will see a big reduction.

I wonder when NCL booked with the Town of Bar Harbor?

Bar Harbor lets most 2024 cruise calls stand, 2025 will see reduction (seatrade-cruise.com)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Maine's Bar Harbor is allowing cruise calls for the 2024 season that were booked before the November 2022 citizens' vote implementing a 1,000-person/day landing cap. But 2025 will see a big reduction.

I wonder when NCL booked with the Town of Bar Harbor?

Bar Harbor lets most 2024 cruise calls stand, 2025 will see reduction (seatrade-cruise.com)

Probably 2021 or 22

Personally I would give up Bar Harbor for another day in Bermuda but that is not happening

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Probably 2021 or 22

Personally I would give up Bar Harbor for another day in Bermuda but that is not happening

Absolutely, without a doubt, I'd choose Bermuda over Bar Harbor...but there's a reason we don't even consider Canada/New England sailings. Now, if we go back to the Boston Bar Harbor option with Bermuda or the NYC Norfolk option with Bermuda, I'd take Bar Harbor over Norfolk without any reservations. Heck, I'd pay more to go to Bar Harbor than Norfolk. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Probably 2021 or 22

I hope you're right. But with NCL cash flow crisis in 2020 / 2021 / 2022. I hope they made the deposit before the cutoff date.

For the 2024 NE/C season, only the Breakaway (out of NYC) and Gem (out of Boston) are scheduled to visit Bar Harbour ... we're on the Escape and scheduled to tender aside (yeah, 4000 folks ... lots of fun at Newport, RI)  last September and stop was skipped due to mother nature, chased away by a fast moving Nor-Easter storm which we knew was heading.  Other ships aren't scheduled to visit or call there.  Glad we're able to visit in 2019 via the Dawn, mid-sized ships handled these tender ports a lot easier and the town wasn't busy at all, rather deserted as it's toward the end of the season (July & August, that's different) ... 

As some of us know, NCL "sometimes" will cancel or skip, divert to another port on the itinerary for reasons unforeseen - there is no guarantee that the Bar Harbor port will happen or not.  The 1,000 pax daily limit will likely drive virtually all the mass line's cruise ships away.  Residents are for it, some of the local businesses aren't for it as many do count on ship passengers.  Well, we'll just have to get our fresh cold water lobsters elsewhere.  

• Like 3

On 3/8/2024 at 9:48 AM, mking8288 said:

For the 2024 NE/C season, only the Breakaway (out of NYC) and Gem (out of Boston) are scheduled to visit Bar Harbour ... we're on the Escape and scheduled to tender aside (yeah, 4000 folks ... lots of fun at Newport, RI)  last September and stop was skipped due to mother nature, chased away by a fast moving Nor-Easter storm which we knew was heading.  Other ships aren't scheduled to visit or call there.  Glad we're able to visit in 2019 via the Dawn, mid-sized ships handled these tender ports a lot easier and the town wasn't busy at all, rather deserted as it's toward the end of the season (July & August, that's different) ... 

As some of us know, NCL "sometimes" will cancel or skip, divert to another port on the itinerary for reasons unforeseen - there is no guarantee that the Bar Harbor port will happen or not.  The 1,000 pax daily limit will likely drive virtually all the mass line's cruise ships away.  Residents are for it, some of the local businesses aren't for it as many do count on ship passengers.  Well, we'll just have to get our fresh cold water lobsters elsewhere.  

Just looked at my NCL Sailing(Breakaway)on 10/20/24 out of NYC, it looks like no stop to Bar Harbor on Wed 10/23 per the website maine.portcall.com. It looks like they swapped days according to this website, Portland is now 10/23 and not 10/22 as was scheduled. It appears that Boston is the swapped port on 10/22.  Would have loved the Bar Harbor stop.  Not sure if riding this out or a date change will work out. Weighing options?

• Like 2