Is it the end for stops in Bar Harbor?

https://www.cruisehive.com/bar-harbor-gets-approval-to-radically-limit-cruise-ship-passengers/124962?fbclid=IwAR1RynytVy9Jkr14eBkg354p-hX482is6OxCSgSjJEnKGVxkxgZUjeP4vv8#lta4jvd6j223k5foqt

In a landmark ruling, the picturesque town of Bar Harbor, Maine, has secured the right to implement a daily cap of 1,000 passengers from cruise ships, aiming to balance tourism with environmental and community well-being.

• Thanks 1

For all but small ships, yes.  The only concession judge Walker gave to the plaintiffs was that the town could not restrict the number of crew that go ashore, nor can crew be counted among the limit.

• Like 3

I am going to venture a guess, that in about 5 years or less, all these ports that are banning cruise ships and tourists will do an about face.  Many of those mom/pop shops make their yearly income just off the cruise ships and tourists.  Once all the revenue goes away, they will eventually have to close up, or shorten the days they are open, and lay off employees.  I used to own a business in a festival/tourist area.  During certain times, I would make over 4 times my monthly sales.  Those extra dollars helped me stay afloat during the slow times.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

For all but small ships, yes.  The only concession judge Walker gave to the plaintiffs was that the town could not restrict the number of crew that go ashore, nor can crew be counted among the limit.

We are on the Gem in June, I guess we will have another sea day or maybe stop in Portland or Newport returning to Boston. I would love another day in Bermuda but looking at the schedule that isn't happening

• Thanks 1

i am on the breakaway in October. i was confused when Maine released their ship schedule and the breakaway was not listed to visit bar harbor on the day norwegian says

boston looks like an alternative port or it will be a sea day

6 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Many of those mom/pop shops make their yearly income just off the cruise ships and tourists.

Probably not for Bar Harbor, at least.  Maine has studied spending trends, and have found that cruise passengers spend about half, per day, of what overnight tourists spend.  And, if the town increases taxes to cover the needed upgrades to the infrastructure required to meet cruise passenger influxes, (garbage, piers, sidewalks, policing, etc), those mom and pop owners will again agree that limiting cruise ships is viable.

And, Venice won't go back to having huge ships in the Canals, either, for a lot of reasons, not just tourist income.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I am going to venture a guess, that in about 5 years or less, all these ports that are banning cruise ships and tourists will do an about face.  Many of those mom/pop shops make their yearly income just off the cruise ships and tourists.  Once all the revenue goes away, they will eventually have to close up, or shorten the days they are open, and lay off employees.  I used to own a business in a festival/tourist area.  During certain times, I would make over 4 times my monthly sales.  Those extra dollars helped me stay afloat during the slow times.

I've been to Bar Harbor a half dozen times during the spring summer and fall. Lots of non cruise tourist there, I don't think they are too worried about the loss

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

We are on the Gem in June, I guess we will have another sea day or maybe stop in Portland or Newport returning to Boston. I would love another day in Bermuda but looking at the schedule that isn't happening

Frankly, I think we in Portland would look forward to overnight stays for the ships, allowing the passengers to sample a lot more of our fine restaurants, many of which don't open for lunch.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

It’s called cutting off your nose to spite your face…

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I feel sorry for the folks who invested money at the port counting on cruise ship passengers…

lol you’ve never been to Bar Harbor, right? It’s a wildly popular destination within New England. The town is plenty busy and the lack of folks tendering in won’t be a problem for businesses. 

• Like 4

Maine was never the Caribbean anyway. Cruisers must be a small blip compared to folks who just drive in and stay at one of the many, many B&Bs. 

It's also a town that would be hard pressed to expand and improve the port facilities. It's a small island, and most of the island is a National Park. There's no place to go except to displace local businesses and make the whole place less quaint and picturesque which spoils the whole point of the thing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

It won’t take effect until 2025. 
I’m on Gem in July.  The ruling should have no effect.  NCL made the 2024 reservations under the former policies.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

I’m on Gem in July.  The ruling should have no effect.  NCL made the 2024 reservations under the former policies.

Where does is say it won't go into effect until 2025? From everything I have read it starts Now

Edited by Laszlo

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, havoc315 said:

I am on the Breakaway in the middle of October.  Bar Harbor ship schedule here https://maine.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Bar Harbor does not show the breakaway in port on October 16 or 23. Breakaway is suppose to be there every Wednesday in October

Another oddity is breakaway is listed as port a call in Boston in the middle of October:

https://www.massport.com/flynn-cruiseport/cruise-directory/cruise-schedule

something is up with Breakaway Canada/New England itinerary with a bar harbor cancellation .i wonder how long it will take Norwegian to send me a a notice me about itinerary changes

Edited by shof515
  • Like 2

We were in Bar Harbor last October.  We had visited there on Dawn and Jewel class ships several times.  

The wait last October to tender back to the Pearl after our shore excursion was crazy.

The line wrapped around several times and stretched as far as you could see on down the street.  We were in line nearly an hour - and would have been afraid we would miss our ship if so many of our shipmates weren't standing there in line with us.  We weren't really late getting back from our ship sponsored excursion either.  

I can not imagine what it would be like on one of the away class ships, and I am not one that usually minds tendering.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sea saw 56 said:

We were in Bar Harbor last October.  We had visited there on Dawn and Jewel class ships several times.  

The wait last October to tender back to the Pearl after our shore excursion was crazy.

The line wrapped around several times and stretched as far as you could see on down the street.  We were in line nearly an hour

Thats why you need to get a suite or Haven cabin Lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, havoc315 said:

I was on the Sky last fall, Bar Harbor was on the original itinerary. Our Bar Harbor stop was changed to Portland (prior to final payment for once LOL). 

Seems like it happened about the same time the news about the proposed limits came out, speculation was that it was decision along the lines of - if you don't want us, we won't come, there are other places that do.

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Frankly, I think we in Portland would look forward to overnight stays for the ships, allowing the passengers to sample a lot more of our fine restaurants, many of which don't open for lunch.

@chengkp75  Is this a done deal? Any idea when it will go into effect. Someone said its not in effect until 2025, I've seen no date given

8 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

@chengkp75  Is this a done deal? Any idea when it will go into effect. Someone said its not in effect until 2025, I've seen no date given

I believe the resolution was for the 2024-2025 season, so this summer.  Will do a bit of research.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

I am on the Breakaway in the middle of October.  Bar Harbor ship schedule here https://maine.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Bar Harbor does not show the breakaway in port on October 16 or 23. Breakaway is suppose to be there every Wednesday in October

something is up with Breakaway Canada/New England itinerary with a bar harbor cancellation .i wonder how long it will take Norwegian to send me a a notice me about itinerary changes

Can expect it some time after final payment

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Yes, from what I see, this starts immediately.  Instead of one limit for shoulder months, and another limit for summer months, the 1000 limit is year round, even though ships don't call in the winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1