Not sure if possible, so why not ask those with more experience

klfrodo

Situation : Looking to use miles to get to Venice, Italy next year. Way too early, but just doing research.

My miles are on AS (One World) BA is about my only choice that I'm considering. (BA/AS is currently not offering a married itinerary that will satisfy my desires). Will be choosing Business Class at a minimum. Live in Seattle but want to begin travel from LAX if at all possible. Will pay cash for one-way tickets on AS to LAX and then begin the "mileage" tickets on BA from LAX to LHR, then into VCE.

Question

Is it no way/no how to get the AS check-in agent to check baggage all the way to VCE if we show the itinerary? Or, since all One World, it's no problem at all?

If the two parts of the route aren't on the same PNR, probably won't be able to check through to VCE. Your bags will be checked through LAX-LHR-VCE.

I have heard some exceptions to this, so can't say absolutely no.

Posted (edited)

Quoting from the AS website:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/checked-bags

If your travel includes more than one ticket, each ticket is considered a separate journey. Baggage will only be checked to the final destination on the first ticket. Please allow enough time to collect your baggage and re–check in with the next airline. Checked baggage will not be transferred on to your next flight that's on a separate ticket. Baggage fees for each carrier may apply.

And FWIW, same policy with AA.

Edited by FlyerTalker

It’s against BA policy to through check bags on two separate tickets even if both flights are on BA.  I am guessing you are aware of the very high surcharges you will pay on a business class award ticket w/ BA,

56 minutes ago, 6rugrats said:

It’s against BA policy to through check bags on two separate tickets even if both flights are on BA.  I am guessing you are aware of the very high surcharges you will pay on a business class award ticket w/ BA,

One work-around is to do your TATL on Iberia. Surcharges are close to nil. This now means focusing on IB's gateways from the USA, including LAX, SFO, DFW, ORD and MIA (among others).  FWIW, I would suspect your best availability from the USA on IB for award seats would be MIA or DFW, but that's just a guess on my part.  Get a list of all IB gateways and then search them all.

• Like 1

Why not try for SEA-xLAX-xLHR-VCE all on one ticket?  Frequently those kinds of routings using AS miles turn up, depending on "U" booking class (Oneworld business award bucket) availability on the BA longhaul flights.  (Often SEA-xPHX-LHR shows up owing to low load factors on the Phoenix-London flights.)  A phone call to AS might work as opposed to using their rather clunky website.

A note that you could probably save a LOT of money if you used American's ORD-VCE nonstop rather than paying BA's usurious surcharges.  Skipping both LAX and LHR as well as saving probably something like $1000 in fees sounds okay to me.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Quoting from the AS website:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/baggage/checked-bags

If your travel includes more than one ticket, each ticket is considered a separate journey. Baggage will only be checked to the final destination on the first ticket. Please allow enough time to collect your baggage and re–check in with the next airline. Checked baggage will not be transferred on to your next flight that's on a separate ticket. Baggage fees for each carrier may apply.

And FWIW, same policy with AA.

13 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

It’s against BA policy to through check bags on two separate tickets even if both flights are on BA.  

I think (and my experience as a OneWorld frequent flier has shown me) that it's just flat out against the rules of all OneWorld carriers, be it AS/AA/BA, Qantas, Finnair, JAL, whomever. 

7 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

BA's usurious surcharges

Amen to that. I guess it's just part of their business model.  If memory serves me correctly, I think they also pocket those fees when you try and change the date of a non refundable ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind through checking your luggage, I'm more concerned that you apparently plan to fly to LAX same day on a separate ticket.  If something happens to that SEA-LAX flight and you miss the LAX departure you could get stuck with whatever seats are available last minute on a later flight.  How much time do you have planned between arriving at LAX and departing again?

Posted (edited)

Another "creative" option is to drive to Vancouver and fly BA from Vancouver.  

The long-term parking lot at YVR has no shortage of cars with Washington plates. 

On the same ticket you may also find something that includes the Alaska connecting flight to Vancouver.

Edited by em-sk

9 hours ago, em-sk said:

Another "creative" option is to drive to Vancouver and fly BA from Vancouver.  

The long-term parking lot at YVR has no shortage of cars with Washington plates. 

On the same ticket you may also find something that includes the Alaska connecting flight to Vancouver.

Yes, I have in the past just paid the low cost of flying to YVR, spent the night at the hotel in YVR, and saved huge money on tickets flying to Europe from YVR. It's been a crap shoot though getting award tix in business out of YVR though.