Softening of Prices on Coco Cay: Specific Example

Vision of the Seas, April 4, out of Baltimore:

Thrill Water Park and Cabana Day Pass: $599.

This includes 6 passes for the Thrill Water Park at $71 (per person if you buy them ahead of time for each person).

$426 of passes included in the $599 price. The reserved cabana with attendant is costing you $173.

If you are a family or a group on this cruise, maybe you can enjoy a special deal.

• Thanks 1

I have seen this to varying degrees on cruises a few weeks out, some with higher loyalty status gets deeper discounts.  Oddly enough the beach beds don't change in prices, however, cabanas, water park access, hideaway, all can see solid discounts.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

I have seen this to varying degrees on cruises a few weeks out, some with higher loyalty status gets deeper discounts.  Oddly enough the beach beds don't change in prices, however, cabanas, water park access, hideaway, all can see solid discounts.

Yes, I saw those 30% special higher loyalty discounts like you did and they ended up being cheaper than any other non "Royal" cruise tour.

Sadly, they strike me the same as "Royal's" military discounts: a method of trying to sell some last minute deals without having those who previously bought them demanding that 'Royal' honor any new discounts.

If I see a "special" discount for 'Diamond Status and above', 'Royal' does not have do honor it to those who previously purchased it but do not qualify.

This is going to leave a bitter taste in the mouths of many loyal cruisers.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo

35 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Michael Bayley is that you??

Such a fine line between being a stockholder who needs cruisers and a cruiser who needs stockholders to support their cruise line of choice.

Mr. Bayley does not know I exist, but you , my fellow cruiser does.

What an irony.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Yes, I saw those 30% special higher loyalty discounts like you did and they ended up being cheaper than any other non "Royal" cruise tour.

Sadly, they strike me the same as "Royal's" military discounts: a method of trying to sell some last minute deals without having those who previously bought them demanding that 'Royal' honor any new discounts.

If I see a "special" discount for 'Diamond Status and above', 'Royal' does not have do honor it to those who previously purchased it but do not qualify.

This is going to leave a bitter taste in the mouths of many loyal cruisers.

But it's the same as going shopping and making a purchase. Then a month later it goes on sale for a much better price.  You can't go demand they give you the better price. Also same as the entire cruise. I booked a year out. Now the same cruise same category  is almost double. They're not going to give anyone who books now the price they saw a yr ago. 

Edited by toxicfairy
  • Like 1

• Host Carolyn changed the title to Softening of Prices on Coco Cay: Specific Example

Price dropped to $26.99 for coco cay Hideaway Beach Day pass for an upcoming Odyssey cruise. Sale price for same thing for Utopia in October is $54.99!

2 hours ago, C-G said:

Price dropped to $26.99 for coco cay Hideaway Beach Day pass for an upcoming Odyssey cruise. Sale price for same thing for Utopia in October is $54.99!

My view is that RCI understands people who are willing to pay the higher prices to cruise on Utopia, Icon and Star are more likely to pay higher prices for activities/areas on Coco Cay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My view is that RCI understands people who are willing to pay the higher prices to cruise on Utopia, Icon and Star are more likely to pay higher prices for activities/areas on Coco Cay. 

It's based on demand. If a cruise is 6 months out they set a standard price and see who purchases it. The prices for Icon this week was down in $20s-$30s along with with discounts on Hideaway cabanas vs other weeks. Probably because it's a spring break cruise, more kids, less childless adults. 

The challenge they face for amenities like Cabanas, if you set the price too attractive 6+ months out. You sell out and any new bookings dont have any options. Makes more sense to give discounts as cruise sailing nears. 

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Completely agree with your view that the price is in ratio to the average cruise price of that particular voyage. Same day, two ships docked: large ship. $59.98, small ship $27.88.

Dynamic pricing is an understatement.

It will get worse with AI predictive modeling (which is, at its most basic function, the dynamic pricing scheme of algorithms programmed to obtain peak pricing).

I will not go into my computer past because the last time I did, I was dressed down as being ignorant to the point of being an idiot.

Not the first time I was called an idiot but I was programming in BASIC, FORTRAN, and COBOL when the dinosaurs were inventing the first microcomputers. I kept my feet moving and danced my way out of the the tar pits of programming extinction.

I made a fortune when Y2K programs needed to be translated to newer SQL databases.

AI modeling is going to squeeze every cent possible going forward as it picks apart your cruising history and cruise purchases.

I might be an idiot, but I am well paid for my imbecile attempts when hitting the keyboard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

It's based on demand. If a cruise is 6 months out they set a standard price and see who purchases it. The prices for Icon this week was down in $20s-$30s along with with discounts on Hideaway cabanas vs other weeks. Probably because it's a spring break cruise, more kids, less childless adults. 

The challenge they face for amenities like Cabanas, if you set the price too attractive 6+ months out. You sell out and any new bookings dont have any options. Makes more sense to give discounts as cruise sailing nears. 

So yes, demand, is also a huge learning input with enough data points.

Along with hundreds of other things, AI will predict your next cruise, how much you are willing to pay for the basic cruise, how much you are willing to pay for onboard packages and the list can go on forever.

The most important factor for many companies is if they have to pay to get that personal data.

Royal is getting it for free every time we make a purchase.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

So yes, demand, is also a huge learning input with enough data points.

Along with hundreds of other things, AI will predict your next cruise, how much you are willing to pay for the basic cruise, how much you are willing to pay for onboard packages and the list can go on forever.

The most important factor for many companies is if they have to pay to get that personal data.

Royal is getting it for free every time we make a purchase.

Which is the same for everything, every cruise line, every industry. There is for profit healthcare systems that is analyzing how they can maximize revenue.

Vast majority of business have been doing this for years, which is why everyone has an app and encourages via discounts or streamlining  transactions to be done via app. 

Paying for data was more necessary 10-15 years ago. Now a days most companies have more data than they know what to do with or even handle, it's processing that data through AI to be able to make business decisions that is important. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Paying for data was more necessary 10-15 years ago. Now a days most companies have more data than they know what to do with or even handle, it's processing that data through AI to be able to make business decisions that is important. 

Exactly.

You made the point better than I did.

It is like a mining company that has mountains of previously processed gleanings that can now be extracted with new technology for a profit.

They do not have to physically dig for new data which can be expensive. They just use a new process to get more value out of what they already have.

1 hour ago, SUgwoz said:

I agree with your point that demand is a huge factor in determining the selling price. However, I don’t think you can ignore the ship going to Coco Cay. Right now I have 9 cruises booked the rest of this year that are going to Coco Cay. As of today, the highest prices across the board (water park, Hideaway, cabanas, etc.) for Coco Cay are for two cruises I have booked on Utopia and one booked on Icon. I don’t think it is a coincidence that the highest prices are for RCI’s two newest ships. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 4:48 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

Vision of the Seas, April 4, out of Baltimore:

Thrill Water Park and Cabana Day Pass: $599.

This includes 6 passes for the Thrill Water Park at $71 (per person if you buy them ahead of time for each person).

$426 of passes included in the $599 price. The reserved cabana with attendant is costing you $173.

If you are a family or a group on this cruise, maybe you can enjoy a special deal.

On same cruise, hideaway beach dropped from $45 to 36 to 26 to 22 to 19. Changes almost daily up and down.

I’ve noticed prices dropping on the cabanas at Labadee, too.  You can get an Over-the-Water cabana on some cruises now for less than $700.  That’s still waaay more than I would pay, but those cabanas had been upwards of $1400 a few months ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I’ve noticed prices dropping on the cabanas at Labadee, too.  You can get an Over-the-Water cabana on some cruises now for less than $700.  That’s still waaay more than I would pay, but those cabanas had been upwards of $1400 a few months ago.

However, if you price too competitive (low), there's an opposite effect.  For instance, on my March 31 Anthem sail, I received an e-mail announcing certain senior based discounts.  One was the Water Park cabanas at CC for a little over $800.  I had reserved 2-day beds at Chill Island, which were being priced at $399 each, but I paid $199 each when originally booked.  If I had paid the current going price, I would have cancelled the beds and jumped at the opportunity and booked the Cabanas.  

In addition, pricing for Hideway Beach were going in the low $20s.  Primary reason, IMO, is that it's an Easter sail from Bayonne NJ and there's going to be a ton of kids. Also, don't know if there's another ship visiting the island.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Primary reason, IMO, is that it's an Easter sail from Bayonne NJ and there's going to be a ton of kids. Also, don't know if there's another ship visiting the island.

I have looked at docking schedules at Coco Bay and I have not found many single cruise ship days.

Let me know the cruise date of your cruise because I would like to plan for it.

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have looked at docking schedules at Coco Bay and I have not found many single cruise ship days.

Wonder is often there alone on Mondays. For my cruise on 3/17, Hideaway Beach was down to $19.99 more than once. I assumed it was b/c of one ship being there during Spring Break. It has been under $30 for months.

By comparison, I’m also there alone on Wonder in June & July but the price is higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

However, if you price too competitive (low), there's an opposite effect.  For instance, on my March 31 Anthem sail, I received an e-mail announcing certain senior based discounts.  One was the Water Park cabanas at CC for a little over $800.  I had reserved 2-day beds at Chill Island, which were being priced at $399 each, but I paid $199 each when originally booked.  If I had paid the current going price, I would have cancelled the beds and jumped at the opportunity and booked the Cabanas.  

In addition, pricing for Hideway Beach were going in the low $20s.  Primary reason, IMO, is that it's an Easter sail from Bayonne NJ and there's going to be a ton of kids. Also, don't know if there's another ship visiting the island.

Anthem and Allure are at Coco Cay on 4/4/24. 

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Let me know the cruise date of your cruise because I would like to plan for it.

My sail is Sunday March 31. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

On our 3/17 Anthem sailing, the Thrill Waterpark cabanas are only $278 on sale from $399.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 9.39.58 PM.png

Wow, that’s a great price. 

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

Here in Long Island, we have Passover break.  I'm guessing Jersey does also.  Which means the week of April 21st is spring break.
Easter is Good Friday and Easter Monday off for our schools.

• Like 1