Alaska out of Seattle.....where to stay

We just booked our first NCL cruise. We are sailing to Alaska from Seattle and really can’t wait.

we decided upon an Air B n B in the Belltown area.

Apparently the area is within walking distance to the main sites that Seattle has to offer and also a relatively short walk to pier 66 on embarkation day. 
Perhaps something you may also wish to consider, and an alternative to hotel accommodation. 

Regards.

I agree with Laszlo, the Edgewater could not be more convenient.  We stayed there our last Alaska cruise.  Cab from the airport was easy.  The Edgewater has a nice bar and very nice restaurant that serves breakfast, dinner, and we even had snacks and bar food there when we arrived for happy hour.  We woke in the morning to look out the window and see the NCL Spirit  sitting right in front of our window waiting for us.  A very short stroll, even with winter weighted-down luggage, being dragged by a 70 some year old man with a new knee replacement.

It's not the cheapest place to stay, but we loved it and the atmosphere overlooking the harbor.

There is also another major brand hotel, prolly less expensive,  right across the street from it. Could be a Marriott (?) that many people stay at. I am sure someone will chime in with the name of it.  Several restaurants there on the water front.

From your other posts it looks like you’re traveling on RCL which docks at Pier 91, about 3 miles north of downtown.  We love the Edgewater although it’s next to the other cruise terminal, not yours. Look at the Mediterranean Inn. It’s one of the closest hotels to your cruise terminal and near many restaurants. Just a 10 minute walk to the Space Needle. They have transportation from the airport to hotel and then to pier for a fee. I don’t know of hotel that provides free transportation.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

From your other posts it looks like you’re traveling on RCL which docks at Pier 91, about 3 miles north of downtown.  We love the Edgewater although it’s next to the other cruise terminal, not yours. Look at the Mediterranean Inn. It’s one of the closest hotels to your cruise terminal and near many restaurants. Just a 10 minute walk to the Space Needle. They have transportation from the airport to hotel and then to pier for a fee. I don’t know of hotel that provides free transportation.

NCL Encore

15 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

NCL Encore

If not the Edgewater or Marriott, look at the Belltown Inn. It's a 4 block walk to the terminal and within a 15 minute walk to both the Space Needle and Pike Place Market. It's also near many restaurants.

• Like 1

Very few if any hotels downtown have their own transportation from the airport to the hotel.  Most is not all the hotels around the airport do have free shuttle services from the airport to their particular hotel.  Most downtown hotels seem to be much more expensive than those at the airport. I would suggest that if you pick a downtown hotel, please aware of your surroundings especially at night-- downtown crime rate at the moment is very very high.

The two hotels closest to the Pier 66 are The Edgewater (next door and expensive built for the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair) and the Marriott Waterfront across the street.  Be aware that you have to cross several railroad tracks in order to cross over to the pier (sometimes not very easy).

16 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Very few if any hotels downtown have their own transportation from the airport to the hotel.  Most is not all the hotels around the airport do have free shuttle services from the airport to their particular hotel.  Most downtown hotels seem to be much more expensive than those at the airport. I would suggest that if you pick a downtown hotel, please aware of your surroundings especially at night-- downtown crime rate at the moment is very very high.

The two hotels closest to the Pier 66 are The Edgewater (next door and expensive built for the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair) and the Marriott Waterfront across the street.  Be aware that you have to cross several railroad tracks in order to cross over to the pier (sometimes not very easy).

The tracks are behind the Marriott, not in front.  

Check your source on downtown crime statistics in Seattle.  I think your information is way out of date.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I cross those railway tracks all the time.  They  run along the Eastern side of Alaskan Way.  Check out the Space Needle web cam and you can see them.

Crime stats came from the mayor of Seattle YESTERDAY when he was announcing a new crime prevention program for downtown Seattle.

Edited by www3traveler
Add a comment

We booked a boutique hotel in Belltown, the Belltown Inn.  We can arrange transportation from SeaTac through the hotel, and walk the few blocks on departure day.  Planning the return flight home after noon so we can use Port Valet for our baggage... having only carry-ons, we have several options.

• Thanks 1

We've cruised out of Seattle a number of times.  I much prefer to stay overnight before the cruise in hotels near SeaTac or in south King County and take an Uber/Lyft to the port the next day.  It is a pretty rare unicorn to find a hotel in Seattle that offers shuttle service anyplace you really need to go.  The only hotels that will shuttle you from the airport to the hotel are going to be the SeaTac area hotels.  Virtually no hotel in Seattle proper offers shuttle service to/from the airport, although during the cruise season some hotels do arrange for shuttle service to/from the port through third-party providers or the van arm of a local cab company or limo company.  I'll get back to that.

Last year we stayed at the Ceaderbrook Lodge, which is down near SeaTac, but up the hill and stuffed way back in a residential zone.  They had an affordable park and cruise fare, for a 4 star location.  An Uber from that location to the port is about a 40 minute drive in weekend traffic and will run you anywhere between $50-80 including tip.  We made the mistake of letting the front desk book a black SUV for us the morning of the cruise, that cost me a shade over $100, including tip, and the driver insisted that I pay in cash.  We didn't make the same mistake on disembarkation.  We booked an Uber SUV to take us back to the hotel, and for the same distance paid $70 including the tip and I didn't have to fumble with cash.

I'm not a huge fan of using hotel provided or booked shuttles because there is a lot of hurry up and wait.  With Uber or Lyft you walk out of your hotel room when you are ready to go to the port.  Fire up the app, indicate which pier you are going to, and ask for a ride.  You'll get a driver in less than 10 minutes and you'll know the price for the ride up front and you tip in the app.  Every time I've used a hotel booked shuttle, my travel party is there, on-time, waiting for the shuttle, the people we are sharing with are late, confused, disorganized, trying to even up their account with the hotel, whatever, and delay the van getting going to the pier.  And on a per/head basis, my travel party in a hotel shuttle costs about the same as my party in an UberSUV.

When it comes to selecting where to stay before or after a cruise, ask what kind of hotel you want, look at online reviews and pricing and pick the one that you like the best.  Leave the driving to carshare services and don't involve the hotel in your transportation.

On 3/6/2024 at 10:24 AM, www3traveler said:

I cross those railway tracks all the time.  They  run along the Eastern side of Alaskan Way.  Check out the Space Needle web cam and you can see them.

Crime stats came from the mayor of Seattle YESTERDAY when he was announcing a new crime prevention program for downtown Seattle.

At the Marriott as was stated, the tracks are behind the hotel.  The tunnel entrance for the trains is directly behind the hotel, you would cross if you went north from the Marriott and then east, but you wouldn’t encounter them if you were going to Pier 66 for example.

• Like 2

I'd also throw the Homewood Suites on Western into the list. Less than a mile away from 66 and an easy Uber/Lyft. I find ridesharing much easier/quieter/more relaiable/less chaotic than hotel shuttles and worth the small cost.

P.S. The tracks are behind the Marriott

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 11:05 AM, Beer Belly said:

NCL Encore

Beer Belly, I'm also on NCL Encore in May. I booked the Mediterranean inn, less than a mile from pier 66. I'm pretty sure there's some craft beers in that area.

1 hour ago, destar said:

Beer Belly, I'm also on NCL Encore in May. I booked the Mediterranean inn, less than a mile from pier 66. I'm pretty sure there's some craft beers in that area.

You are quite close to Holy Mountain Brewing, which has some of the best beer in the city in my opinion. 

• Like 1

We're cruising on Quantum out of pier 91 in July. Are the downtown hotels usually around $400ish during the summer?  That's what we are seeing on downtown hotels. Near SeaTac we can find a few in the mid $250s. We reserved a hotel near SeaTac because the prices were freaking us out, just in case the prices increased. 

34 minutes ago, cynt said:

We're cruising on Quantum out of pier 91 in July. Are the downtown hotels usually around $400ish during the summer?  That's what we are seeing on downtown hotels. Near SeaTac we can find a few in the mid $250s. We reserved a hotel near SeaTac because the prices were freaking us out, just in case the prices increased. 

Hotel prices in Seattle during the summer months are high.  Try the Mayflower or the Mediterranean Inn.  Also, look at hotels in the Belltown neighborhood of DT Seattle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hotel prices in Seattle during the summer months are high.  Try the Mayflower or the Mediterranean Inn.  Also, look at hotels in the Belltown neighborhood of DT Seattle.

My last four trips I have split between the Mayflower and the Belltown Inn. Booking for early May 24, I found both had increased about 50% over last season. Like the upper suites on Celebrity, those fine old ladies are destined to become cherished memories, rather than affordable options. Particularly the Mayflower, where the bar and restaurant are expensive, but irresistible. I am trying the Med next trip, which appeared a bit more affordable and is closer to Smith's Cove, which HAL and Princess use.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cynt said:

Sadly that’s about normal for downtown Seattle down in the summer.  Seattle doesn’t have a lot of tourism outside of the cruise months, so they get what they can between April-October. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember staying at the Waterfront Marriot in 2007.  It was only $160, which was a lot for us back then.  I just looked and it's now $460 a night.  It's insane.

Edited by GORDONCHICK
  • Like 1

• If you are traveling solo, try the Citizen M.  It's just across from the ferry terminal.  It will give you a very good feel of what a solo cabin is like on a cruise ship.  Very hi-tech place, but definitely not for two folks in a room.