Where To Find Plus Package Specialty Deserts

4x4bob

We will soon  be setting sail on the Discovery Princess.  And, we purchased the Plus Package which provides two Specialty Deserts each day.

My question is, just where on the ship will I find these Deserts or do I have to flag down a waiter and have him/her bring it to me?

And, is there any choice or do we just have to accept what is delivered? 

Thanks

Bob

Posted (edited)

You get them at the Gelato place in the main piazza on Deck 5 I think it is.

There is a menu where you can choose from a few options.  You can also just get Gelato scoops rather than the full premium dessert choices.  The Premium desserts are a little intimidating lol

The fact that they offer 2 per day is kind of laughable.  Hats off to anyone who consumes 2 of these per day.....and I worry for the health of someone who pays out of pocket for a 3rd...

image.png.564b92d4b707ff2851d93f863ebe8a8c.png

Edited by PMGS247
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

You get them at the Gelato place in the main piazza on Deck 5 I think it is.

There is a menu where you can choose from a few options.  You can also just get Gelato scoops rather than the full premium dessert choices.  The Premium desserts are a little intimidating lol

The fact that they offer 2 per day is kind of laughable.  Hats off to anyone who consumes 2 of these per day.....and I worry for the health of someone who pays out of pocket for a 3rd...

Thanks for responding.

Bob

10 minutes ago, Mangrove Snapper said:

When we were on the Emerald this past October you could also use this benefit for the specialty cake slices at the International Cafe. 

Thanks for idea to try for cake instead.

Bob

• Like 3

We were on the Dicovery last month and were NOT allowed anything other than the giant sundaes. I even went to guest services & they said the same.

Earlier in the year we were on the Regal. You could get ANYTHING on the ice cream menu  !

My favorite were the banana split & Frangelico sundae.

48 minutes ago, Shippy said:

We were on the Dicovery last month and were NOT allowed anything other than the giant sundaes. I even went to guest services & they said the same.

Earlier in the year we were on the Regal. You could get ANYTHING on the ice cream menu  !

My favorite were the banana split & Frangelico sundae.

Discovery we asked nicely and got gelato a couple times.

• Like 1

Interesting to read that someone was able to get just gelato scoops without all the junky candy.  I got one on the Enchanted last summer and just removed the candy.  I’d be very happy with just getting gelato and hot fudge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Interesting to read that someone was able to get just gelato scoops without all the junky candy.  I got one on the Enchanted last summer and just removed the candy.  I’d be very happy with just getting gelato and hot fudge.

When I did it I'd read mixed reviews on the topic.  As usual the experience is not always consistent, even on the same ship at different times.  For science I just ordered two scoops of Gelato and waited to see if I was charged for it despite my plus package.  If I was, I was prepared to roll my eyes over the few dollars it cost me but then just as quickly move on with life.  Was never charged.  Twice in a sailing.  Discovery about this time last year. 

As usual YMMV.  From everything I've read your best bet isn't likely to be to ask about it...seems like they'll play it safe and tell you "no" since they can be wrong about that and not have it blow up in their face, unlike the alternative, but in my and plenty of other's cases, the crew actually scooping the gelato isn't guaranteed to charge you for it.  I'm sailing on Enchanted in a month and intend to do the same thing.  I'm just going to order what I want and see what happens.  If they insist on charging me for getting a couple scoops of gelato instead of the premium monstrosity, I'll survive but be less likely to indulge going forward.

• Like 1

The premium  desserts we saw were at the ice cream counter next to the pizza counter on the pool deck.  The desserts are visually fun and worth having one just to take a picture.  But lots of what creates the look is the add in lollipops and hard candy treats they stick in them (which we didn’t eat).  The “ice cream” itself and flavored toppings were OK but I can’t imagine having one a day, much less the allowed daily amount of two.    I think Princess includes them on the packages just to have an item to list as included and to beef up the package offerings while knowing full well most guests will never really use the benefit.

• Like 2

I got the one with the key lime pie bar in it on my last cruise.  I key lime pie was the best part, I was tempted to order another one later on and just eat that.  I was told I could have either one of the sundaes, cake or plain scoops of either chocolate or vanilla included with my package.  I asked if I could have the sugar free and they said yes.  This was on the Discovery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

When I did it I'd read mixed reviews on the topic.  As usual the experience is not always consistent, even on the same ship at different times.  For science I just ordered two scoops of Gelato and waited to see if I was charged for it despite my plus package.  If I was, I was prepared to roll my eyes over the few dollars it cost me but then just as quickly move on with life.  Was never charged.  Twice in a sailing.  Discovery about this time last year. 

As usual YMMV.  From everything I've read your best bet isn't likely to be to ask about it...seems like they'll play it safe and tell you "no" since they can be wrong about that and not have it blow up in their face, unlike the alternative, but in my and plenty of other's cases, the crew actually scooping the gelato isn't guaranteed to charge you for it.  I'm sailing on Enchanted in a month and intend to do the same thing.  I'm just going to order what I want and see what happens.  If they insist on charging me for getting a couple scoops of gelato instead of the premium monstrosity, I'll survive but be less likely to indulge going forward.

This sounds like a plan that I will also follow.  Try it once, if it works OK.  If not, will absorb the cost and move on. 

Bob

When we were on the Enchanted in December 2023 and also January/February 2024 we were always able to get 2 scoops of gelato in a dish or a sugar cone with no charge.  The sugar cones are made right there and are sooo good.  

On 3/6/2024 at 11:50 AM, startedwithamouse said:

Just not the red velvet. It's inedible.

I second that! On the Discovery last month they would let you have cake, the huge sundaes or scoops of Vanilla or chocolate gelato.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

The premium  desserts we saw were at the ice cream counter next to the pizza counter on the pool deck.  The desserts are visually fun and worth having one just to take a picture.  But lots of what creates the look is the add in lollipops and hard candy treats they stick in them (which we didn’t eat).  The “ice cream” itself and flavored toppings were OK but I can’t imagine having one a day, much less the allowed daily amount of two.    I think Princess includes them on the packages just to have an item to list as included and to beef up the package offerings while knowing full well most guests will never really use the benefit.

ABSOLUTELY! It's just something to add the list of "benefits". My DH will not touch them. I get the ice cream since I am paying for it in the package. I'm sure no one gets 2 a day. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fabby50 said:

I got the one with the key lime pie bar in it on my last cruise.  I key lime pie was the best part, I was tempted to order another one later on and just eat that.  I was told I could have either one of the sundaes, cake or plain scoops of either chocolate or vanilla included with my package.  I asked if I could have the sugar free and they said yes.  This was on the Discovery.

I ordered the one with the key lime pie & said hold everything except the pie. They gave me a few cubes of pie in the sundae glass

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

I ordered the one with the key lime pie & said hold everything except the pie. They gave me a few cubes of pie in the sundae glass

A big slab of key lime pie with whipped cream.......that's a premium dessert! 

No, not ice cream with candy thrown in 🤢

4 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

A big slab of key lime pie with whipped cream.......that's a premium dessert! 

No, not ice cream with candy thrown in 🤢

Exactly! If they have the pie there, why don't they offer it in the dining room or buffet?

2 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Exactly! If they have the pie there, why don't they offer it in the dining room or buffet?

Oh no......"real pie" is only for those special chosen folks! 😋 

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2024 at 1:42 PM, PMGS247 said:

I seem to be in the minority but I cannot wait to order one of these 👆 monsters lol

I am SOO excited 😍

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Would be good if a current cruiser asked staff and reported back.

Last year when I was onboard, I was told premium desserts were those ice cream big mug extravaganzas.  We tried one (threw away all the  hard candy toppers - which seems wasteful - and I bet most people do) from the ice cream place near the pool.