Sun Princess Signature suite questions answered!

One question:

Do all suites have reserved seating in the Arena for production shows? Or just Sky Suites?

I'm reading conflicting info on different boards, might as well ask directly...

Thanks, enjoy!

• Like 2

Here’s a teaser while I’m still onboard….

I have been told, and no way to really confirm it unless I coordinate with someone in the MDR, but I was told by my waiter in the Signature restaurant that while the menu is the same as the MDR (plus one or two extra items) the Reserve and Signature dining rooms have a separate kitchen and prepare the dishes differently. And I believe him. 

There were a few times (before he told us) that I said to my husband “There is no way they are serving this in the main dining room!”  The seafood salad the first night was extra special. The escargot was different than I have ever had on a Princess ship. It was not just drowned in garlic and butter. I keep asking for extra vegetables (VEGETABLES!!!) because they taste so wonderful.  

Not everything is different but it does feel special. Does it compare to Luminea on Celebrity?  No. But it comes a lot closer than I expected it to. 

And the service is top notch. The sommelier is right there to help you with champagne, wine, and desert wine (yes, we’ve been having all three!) every night. And the maitre d’ has been by every night to make sure everything is top notch. Offering advice on the menu, checking that the food is satisfactory and even helping me with the fish courses (I try to eat exclusively fish at dinner on ships) coming up in future nights. 

We are beyond pleasantly surprised that our dining experience is very enjoyable every night. 

(Sorry, I do not take pictures of my food or the menu.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I have been told, and no way to really confirm it unless I coordinate with someone in the MDR, but I was told by my waiter in the Signature restaurant that while the menu is the same as the MDR (plus one or two extra items) the Reserve and Signature dining rooms have a separate kitchen and prepare the dishes differently. And I believe him. 

Yes, this was called out in the first Live From thread. For the earlier cruises, at least, they had the same menu in Signature and Reserve each night as in the MDR, with maybe more Princess favourites in the MDR but higher quality ingredients in the dishes in Signature and Reserve. e.g.

Ribeye Steak Cafe de Paris in Reserve and Signature in place of Grilled Flat Iron Beef Steak in MDR
For Princess Favorites, MDR gets Fettucine Alfredo and Grilled New York Strip Steak as well, Reserve and Signature gets Jumbo Shrimp instead of Shrimp in the MDR and Signature gets an additional Prime Rib on the Carving Trolley

Makes sense for there to be a separate kitchen if they have upgraded ingredients.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Here’s a teaser while I’m still onboard….

I wondered on an earlier thread if the two restaurants shared a kitchen given that there is a large white space between them on the deck plans.

image.png.70f636b99bcccc8b70d5522a220f84ff.png

Thank you for confirming this but it leads me to another question:  how differentiated are the actual menus between the Reserve and Signature restaurants?  Are those in full suites paying more for the same menus and the experience is only (maybe) differentiated by the staff?

2 hours ago, dides said:

Yes, this was called out in the first Live From thread. For the earlier cruises, at least, they had the same menu in Signature and Reserve each night as in the MDR, with maybe more Princess favourites in the MDR but higher quality ingredients in the dishes in Signature and Reserve. e.g.

Ribeye Steak Cafe de Paris in Reserve and Signature in place of Grilled Flat Iron Beef Steak in MDR
For Princess Favorites, MDR gets Fettucine Alfredo and Grilled New York Strip Steak as well, Reserve and Signature gets Jumbo Shrimp instead of Shrimp in the MDR and Signature gets an additional Prime Rib on the Carving Trolley

Makes sense for there to be a separate kitchen if they have upgraded ingredients.

Thank you @dides.  This mitigates some of my concern about the differentiation between the experiences in the Signature and Reserve restaurants.

1 hour ago, phow1963 said:

Hello All, I ran across this S9 Signature Suite tour on YouTube if anyone's interested. 

Expand  

Thank you!  We are booked in an S9 for a January 2025 cruise. 

That was unimpressive to me.  As a frequent mini-suite cruiser I think the bathroom is lovely but the stateroom itself seems noticeably narrower.  I will miss the traditional closet set up because it seems this new layout results in less storage space and less table top space.  The chairs on the balcony are absurd.  I can see maybe not being able to fit loungers but to have chairs with a short back that don't recline at all is not the answer.  They are literal pain to sit in upright and not meant for spending any resting time on the balcony.

We are waiting to hear more first hand accounts of how the Signature Sun Deck/Sanctuary and the Restaurant are functioning after a few months before we make our keep/downgrade decision or, possibly given reviews of the other new areas on the ship, our go/no go decision (we've been to all the ports so we are only sailing for the ship experience).

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I wondered on an earlier thread if the two restaurants shared a kitchen given that there is a large white space between them on the deck plans.

image.png.70f636b99bcccc8b70d5522a220f84ff.png

Thank you for confirming this but it leads me to another question:  how differentiated are the actual menus between the Reserve and Signature restaurants?  Are those in full suites paying more for the same menus and the experience is only (maybe) differentiated by the staff?

I don’t think there is a difference between the two restaurants. It’s different than the main dining room. 

There are still a lot of extra perks of the suites that differentiate it from the Reserve. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Not everything is different but it does feel special. Does it compare to Luminea on Celebrity?  No. But it comes a lot closer than I expected it to. 

And the service is top notch. The sommelier is right there to help you with champagne, wine, and desert wine

I'm actually encouraged to hear that the food is better in the Sun Signature restaurant than the MDR.  Sounds like Princess is upping its suite benefits to get closer to Celebrity's Retreat and NCL's Haven.

With the separate restaurant for the Signature Suite, I hope they get a little more creative in the future with their offerings for suite guests.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I don’t think there is a difference between the two restaurants. It’s different than the main dining room. 

There are still a lot of extra perks of the suites that differentiate it from the Reserve. 

As I compared menus on the live threads on early sailings the menus for Signature and Reserve were very similar but not identical. The one difference I remember is the prime rib was not available every night in the Reserve and the waitstaff didn’t even know about the Trolley. The Signature staff said while they have the Princeton every night the trolley wasn’t there yet but would be. I think there were a few other differences but don’t recall what. 

• Like 1

Hi, we will be in a signature suite on the Sun and I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1-What is a bento box in the sanctuary? Can you order any kind of food you like in the box?

2-Can we use the Park 19 items even though we are older than teens, much older.

3-Does someone stay in the lounge to help with things we need all the time? Of just a few hours a day?

4-Does the breakfast compare to the suite breakfast on the Royal Class ships?

5-Is Spellbound being offered for free to suite passengers?

Thank you so much...I will appreciate your answers.

• Like 1

Sorry one more question. 

We will have the package with all the photos and I wondered if they are taking photos in the signature restaurants or around any other area in the suite areas? Thank you.

7 hours ago, Shaver John said:

Hi, we will be in a signature suite on the Sun and I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1-What is a bento box in the sanctuary? Can you order any kind of food you like in the box?

2-Can we use the Park 19 items even though we are older than teens, much older.

3-Does someone stay in the lounge to help with things we need all the time? Of just a few hours a day?

4-Does the breakfast compare to the suite breakfast on the Royal Class ships?

5-Is Spellbound being offered for free to suite passengers?

Thank you so much...I will appreciate your answers.

No problem. I will answer all questions when I get home. But I do have the answers!  🤪

• Like 1

Teaser #2…

The last two nights of the cruise are the final dress rehearsals for the Cirque show in the Dome and passengers are invited to attend. Seems they will be ready for the next sailing. There are two shows both nights. There are “tickets” for every suite passenger if they want one. Seating is first come/first serve but we are guaranteed a spot if we want it. The rest of the ship has the remainder of the tickets. You need a ticket to get into the dome. 

Not sure if this will be the practice going forward but I think so. 

Haven’t asked about seats in the Arena (the theater) yet but I will. 

26 minutes ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Sorry, I cannot recall if this is already on your list - I noticed the description for an S9 Suite now says it includes access to Lotus Spa Thermal Suite.  I don't recall seeing that before.  Is it true?

image.thumb.png.6ef17e5ca63c9995662357b620f839ad.png

We specifically asked at the suite lounge and they said that the Enclave is not included. Now that’s different than the Thermal suite and Sun Princess has the Enclave not Thermal suite. Same as on the Royal Class ships. 

Now, we haven’t been charge for the Enclave yet even though other spa services have already hit our account. Shhhhh.  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Sorry, I cannot recall if this is already on your list - I noticed the description for an S9 Suite now says it includes access to Lotus Spa Thermal Suite.  I don't recall seeing that before.  Is it true?

image.thumb.png.6ef17e5ca63c9995662357b620f839ad.png

It has a footnote noted.. 2

image.png.3a58d8a5fa75c7072e990eec6a811a7a.png

They are referring to the Thermal suite, not Enclave.. but maybe they will decide to change it.

• Like 1

Is there a Happy Hour in the Signature Lounge and are the drinks gratis during the happy hour? Are espresso based beverages available 24/7 is the Signature Lounge? Is there a charge for them? Deciding whether we will need a plus or premium bundle or will find the gratis beverages in the Lounge more than adequate, as we do on the Royal Class ships. Thank you!!! This thread has been terrific and informative!!!

39 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

It has a footnote noted.. 2

image.png.3a58d8a5fa75c7072e990eec6a811a7a.png

They are referring to the Thermal suite, not Enclave.. but maybe they will decide to change it.

Well spotted!  That was completely invisible to me!

5 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Teaser #2…

The last two nights of the cruise are the final dress rehearsals for the Cirque show in the Dome and passengers are invited to attend. Seems they will be ready for the next sailing. There are two shows both nights. There are “tickets” for every suite passenger if they want one. Seating is first come/first serve but we are guaranteed a spot if we want it. The rest of the ship has the remainder of the tickets. You need a ticket to get into the dome. 

Not sure if this will be the practice going forward but I think so. 

Haven’t asked about seats in the Arena (the theater) yet but I will. 

Yes - that would be a great confirmation - if all suites have reserved seating in Arena (production shows or all shows) and Dome shows.  Thanks!!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Yes - that would be a great confirmation - if all suites have reserved seating in Arena (production shows or all shows) and Dome shows.  Thanks!!

I can definitely say there isn’t reserved seating in the Dome but will ask about the Arena. 

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser