Hamburgers in the Main Dining Room

Zeke Eak

I'll be on the Discovery in a few weeks. I'll likely be eating lunch in the MDR on embarkation day. I don't think I've seen a review of the hamburgers in the MDR. How are they?

• Like 1

Been a while, but fairly unimpressive from my recollection.  Got the job done for a quick meal but if you want a good burger on embarkation day stop at five guys on shore before boarding the ship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Been a while, but fairly unimpressive from my recollection.  Got the job done for a quick meal but if you want a good burger on embarkation day stop at five guys on shore before boarding the ship.

Agree. It seems like they are the same as what is served on Lido deck...but that may not be the case. 

• Like 2

The burgers from the grill on Lido Deck are cooked to order and served hot.  The ones in the MDR...not so much.  If a burger is what one craves, I find the outdoor grill to be the best place to grab one. 

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Agree. It seems like they are the same as what is served on Lido deck...but that may not be the case. 

I actually feel like the fact that they hand it to you right off the grill on the Lido results in a hotter burger and actually gives the Lido deck a slight edge between the two 🤣

DW and I have taken to Lido deck food instead of MDR on embarkation day.  Did it a few years after discovering the 'secret' that the MDR is open and it is a nicer place to sit down and eat but the menu isn't anything to write home about, we're always on board early enough that it's not yet a madhouse up on the Lido, and it's easier to keep the drinks flowing with all the bars on the Lido.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

DW and I have taken to Lido deck food instead of MDR on embarkation day.  Did it a few years after discovering the 'secret' that the MDR is open and it is a nicer place to sit down and eat but the menu isn't anything to write home about

We agree.  The sanity and refinement of the sit-down experience in the MDR does not offset the blasé menu and meager portion size for us.  But instead of the Lido Deck, our workaround is to go to Alfredo's and then the International Cafe for dessert and espresso. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

We agree.  The sanity and refinement of the sit-down experience in the MDR does not offset the blasé menu and meager portion size for us.  But instead of the Lido Deck, our workaround is to go to Alfredo's and then the International Cafe for dessert and espresso. 

yes! Alfredo's is a solid option as well. A little more strategery required on the Plus package with the 2x casual, but on the flipside likely not the madhouse it was before on embarkation day.  Might be a worthy spot to use one, but feels like burning one real quick.

Posted (edited)

You say it has been awhile since you've cruised? Then you may remember the Ernesto Burger, which was the best burger I ever ate, but post Covid, they are no longer served in the MDR on Princess. I don't know if Discovery has a Salty Dog Gastropub, but it is considered casual dining, and you'd have to pay if you didn't get a package. They look good!

Personally, unless you're really hungry, which is unlikely on a cruise ship, I'd pass on the burgers on deck.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

You say it has been awhile since you've cruised? Then you may remember the Ernesto Burger, which was the best burger I ever ate, but post Covid, they are no longer served on Princess. I don't know if Discovery has a Salty Dog Gastropub, but it is considered casual dining, and you'd have to pay if you didn't get a package. They look good!

Personally, unless you're really hungry, which is unlikely on a cruise ship, I'd pass on the burgers on deck.

Most Salty Dog Gastropu’s are only open for dinner

Thanks for the info. I'm mainly going to the MDR because I'm being directed by my boss. The menu does not dazzle and was hoping the burger would be recommendable.  I like the orange soufflé, though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

Not at their prices.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

The burgers from the grill on Lido Deck are cooked to order and served hot.  The ones in the MDR...not so much.  If a burger is what one craves, I find the outdoor grill to be the best place to grab one. 

Will they also do a burger medium rare if requested?

3 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

The burgers are more of a "smash-burger" width so medium rare is pretty hard to achieve. I am not aware of a rule against medium rare burgers, but I can't say that I've ever received one that I would classify as being truly such.

1 hour ago, cruisinsince75 said:

I don’t believe you can specify on lido they cook so many at one time. I do believe you may be able to in the MDR

I've had the burger in the MDR a couple of times when there was nothing else that appealed to me on the menu. Both times they were ok - not great, not terrible, and definitely a little on the overdone side. The burgers from the grill are much better - thinner, which I prefer, cooked to order and served hot. DH like to get his with grilled onions. They pretty much cook them for a standard time but I guess you could always request it rare - they are cooking them to order after all.

I have no problem with MDR lunch burgers.  If you really want something special on the burger, I'm fond of blue cheese or Gorgonzola on burgers, the MDR is better able to accommodate you than the grill up on Lido.  For me the laid back and quiet nature of lunch in the MDR is why I choose it over the buffet or grill.  As for portion sizes, well..., they are smaller for just about all meals in the MDR compared to 5 or more years ago.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jeromep said:

I have no problem with MDR lunch burgers.  If you really want something special on the burger, I'm fond of blue cheese or Gorgonzola on burgers, the MDR is better able to accommodate you than the grill up on Lido.  For me the laid back and quiet nature of lunch in the MDR is why I choose it over the buffet or grill.  As for portion sizes, well..., they are smaller for just about all meals in the MDR compared to 5 or more years ago.

And my waistline thanks the smaller portions

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

You say it has been awhile since you've cruised? Then you may remember the Ernesto Burger, which was the best burger I ever ate, but post Covid, they are no longer served in the MDR on Princess. I don't know if Discovery has a Salty Dog Gastropub, but it is considered casual dining, and you'd have to pay if you didn't get a package. They look good!

It's the same burger, they just changed the name from the Ernesto to SDG. 

4 hours ago, Zeke Eak said:

orange soufflé

2 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

I've had the burger in the MDR a couple of times when there was nothing else that appealed to me on the menu. Both times they were ok - not great, not terrible, and definitely a little on the overdone side. The burgers from the grill are much better - thinner, which I prefer, cooked to order and served hot. DH like to get his with grilled onions. They pretty much cook them for a standard time but I guess you could always request it rare - they are cooking them to order after all.

I get a double burger with cheese up on Lido..... with cheese.   IMO Much better than MDR.  BUT the orange soufflé is da bomb..... and only available in the MDR on embarkation day lunch.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LHC Kirby said:

I get a double burger with cheese up on Lido..... with cheese.   IMO Much better than MDR.  BUT the orange soufflé is da bomb..... and only available in the MDR on embarkation day lunch.  

The orange soufflé is what I go for.

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's the same burger, they just changed the name from the Ernesto to SDG. 

Thanks! I did not know this. I just looked up the menu online. We're either buffet or MDR diners. But this would be worth the charge. (Don't drink so we don't buy the packages.)

Yeah....not the best burger but the grill on Lido is a better choice for burgers 🍔 

My husband had a steak in the dining room for lunch one day and it was better than a crown grill sirloin. Sometimes the dining room surprises you!