Sun Princess

10 hours ago, happy cruzin said:

I’m waiting to see if the separate suite area in the sanctuary remains available for what were signature suites. 

Well we can ask Princess management or try the 'lucky magic eight ball toy'.... right now I have more confidence in the magic eight ball toy. 

They really have created a lose/ lose scenario. We booked a suite (at what I felt was a fair price) largely to enjoy the Sanctuary in the Carib.  With the now seemingly increased numbers of passengers using it I cannot imagine they will maintain the 'suite only section' as they will need all the space for newly minted users. I guess we will have to see but doesn't look good. Selflishly I would hope they would maintain a suite area as originally promised.

While I cannot speak for others,  some of us who purchased a premiere package might feel slighted as this is now standard. The Princess retort would be 'you got a better price'. I think what most of us want is just clarity. I know pricing will change but when you have drastic movement and changes in benefits/ categories (especially on a brand new ship) it does not lend confidence to future cruise bookings. I can emphasize with somebody who was looking to book a suite a few days ago and finding out it is now 35% more.

Maybe to put an exclamation point on their (Princess') confusion I had looked at clamshells for an upcoming cruise. I never indicated I wanted to purchase and when one does initiate a purchase it  typically requires a CC or use of OBC to reserve. This morning I received an invoice from Princess for three clamshells. Not difficult to cancel but not reassuring either (was hoping Princess would have had some provison for suite passengers on the private island).

Not trying to overreact as things will likely change but I went from X Retreat to Princess Sphere class to now?........ MSC YC seems to be the last remaining survivor for cruisers who want a reasonably priced inclusive suite experience on a large cruise ship.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Not trying to overreact as things will likely change but I went from X Retreat to Princess Sphere class to now?........ MSC YC seems to be the last remaining survivor for cruisers who want a reasonably priced inclusive suite experience on a large cruise ship.

I can speak to a comparison with MSC’s Yacht Club and there is no comparison based on all my readings to date. All YC cabins have butlers and stewards, on their builds within the last 5 years or so all YC venues and cabins are co-located in a private area, plus their private island (designed from the ground up by them) is gorgeous and includes a dedicated YC area with a restaurant.

Since this is a new class of ship you would think Princess might have sent secret shoppers/cruisers on other lines with the ship within a ship concept to report back on what works like cabin sizes, service-many have butlers, drink inclusions, lounge, pool, restaurants, etc. and, most importantly, fares and what doesn’t.

16 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Thoroughly confusing. We had booked a "signature" suite for Jan. 25 and received the 'congratulations you have been upgraded" even though we fully expected everything listed.

As commented by some our cruise now shows Sanctuary catagories where they had listed Reserve and Signature previously.

We paid 6k for Suite and the same dealio is now approx 8500.

I fully expected the sanctuary to be for suite guests only but it does appear they are trying to expand the categories that use it.

A heck of a way to market a new ship- it seems they do not know what they are doing.

So excited Princess offered a great price on a suite  but now they apparently playing in the more rarified air of X whose pricing got crazy. I guess the point is like the weather wait a day and it (pricing) will change.

If I cancel my booking for my D0-aft cabin, someone else can book it for a measley $9600 CAD today and receive 3 sanctuary collection perks.

I’m sure we won’t be booking anymore of these high- end cruises after this.

My S9 has no changes, no premium package.

11 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I can speak to a comparison with MSC’s Yacht Club and there is no comparison based on all my readings to date. All YC cabins have butlers and stewards, on their builds within the last 5 years or so all YC venues and cabins are co-located in a private area, plus their private island (designed from the ground up by them) is gorgeous and includes a dedicated YC area with a restaurant.

Since this is a new class of ship you would think Princess might have sent secret shoppers/cruisers on other lines with the ship within a ship concept to report back on what works like cabin sizes, service-many have butlers, drink inclusions, lounge, pool, restaurants, etc. and, most importantly, fares and what doesn’t.

Totally agree. MSC YC has been a beacon of reasonable pricing and transparency. Our only 'complaints' where that we personally were not enamored with the experience on the rest of the ship. We personally were not fans of non-refundable deposits which CCL lines have so far resisted. We even revisited a YC cruise where as Diamond members we could have saved around 500 over Sun suite pricing (but really wanted to try a new ship). With the apparently new sanctuary pricing YC becomes the remaining game in town for value suites. As I looked at clamshells at the Princess private island I was reminded how YC guests are well treated on their private island.  

3 minutes ago, dog said:

If I cancel my booking for my D0-aft cabin, someone else can book it for a measley $9600 CAD today and receive 3 sanctuary collection perks.

I’m sure we won’t be booking anymore of these high- end cruises after this.

My S9 has no changes, no premium package.

I think Princess is falling into the let's see 'what the market will bear suite pricing' as have X and NCL. The upgrade programs seem to act as ultimate support for pricing. 

This appears as  low hanging fruit short term but IMHO erodes  loyalty.  We were long term X cruisers but rarely even consider them currently. MSC YC has maintained (even with strong demand) some consistency in pricing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

Well we can ask Princess management or try the 'lucky magic eight ball toy'.... right now I have more confidence in the magic eight ball toy. 

They really have created a lose/ lose scenario. We booked a suite (at what I felt was a fair price) largely to enjoy the Sanctuary in the Carib.  With the now seemingly increased numbers of passengers using it I cannot imagine they will maintain the 'suite only section' as they will need all the space for newly minted users. I guess we will have to see but doesn't look good. Selflishly I would hope they would maintain a suite area as originally promised.

While I cannot speak for others,  some of us who purchased a premiere package might feel slighted as this is now standard. The Princess retort would be 'you got a better price'. I think what most of us want is just clarity. I know pricing will change but when you have drastic movement and changes in benefits/ categories (especially on a brand new ship) it does not lend confidence to future cruise bookings. I can emphasize with somebody who was looking to book a suite a few days ago and finding out it is now 35% more.

Maybe to put an exclamation point on their (Princess') confusion I had looked at clamshells for an upcoming cruise. I never indicated I wanted to purchase and when one does initiate a purchase it  typically requires a CC or use of OBC to reserve. This morning I received an invoice from Princess for three clamshells. Not difficult to cancel but not reassuring either (was hoping Princess would have had some provison for suite passengers on the private island).

I hope that they will keep the Suites-only section of the Sanctuary, I haven't seen anything YET that leads me to believe that has been discontinued. It would help those of us who booked true suites to feel that we still have some of our exclusive, dedicated suite space.

Does anyone know how many additional cabins are now included in the Sanctuary Collection?  I know 80 cabins are true suites - previously Signature Suites - but I am trying to figure out how many more cabins now have access to the Sanctuary and Restaurant.

I am wondering if with the addition of the "extra cabins" - perhaps they are not going to offer Sanctuary "day passes" as they do on other ships?? 

As a lowly Deluxe Balcony Sun passenger this August I do have some sympathy for all you rich "Suite" people. The Sanctuary situation aboard the Sun is turning into a right "Dog's dinner" of a mess.

But surely there will be many Suite guests who will happily make the most of their extra large balconies and the extra deck space afforded to those with Cabana rooms, instead of making a "B line" to the Sanctuary every day!

Whilst I have enjoyed the Sanctuary aboard Regal Princess on a couple of days, I won't miss it on the Sun. Instead I will happily "Slum it" up in the Sea View terrace. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Esprit said:

As a lowly Deluxe Balcony Sun passenger this August I do have some sympathy for all you rich "Suite" people. The Sanctuary situation aboard the Sun is turning into a right "Dog's dinner" of a mess.

But surely there will be many Suite guests who will happily make the most of their extra large balconies and the extra deck space afforded to those with Cabana rooms, instead of making a "B line" to the Sanctuary every day!

Whilst I have enjoyed the Sanctuary aboard Regal Princess on a couple of days, I won't miss it on the Sun. Instead I will happily "Slum it" up in the Sea View terrace. 

Well one reason we opted for a suite was the special lifeboats reserved for us...... oh... Princess said not to talk about it.... :classic_biggrin:

Seriously when we go on a Carib cruise we just like to hang at the pool. At times this experience became so frustrating (no doubt due in part to chair hogs) that we gravitated towards suites with dedicated pool areas (Retreat, YC) or used the Sanctuary (on Grand class where pool was directly below) or HAL cabanas near pool.  So maybe a bit sensitive if spacing is challenged in Sun Sanctuary. We will do a balcony on HAL immediately after our Sun cruise... with no dedicated pool we never look at a suite.   

3 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

No problem. I still have my trustworthy Magic 8 Ball. 🎱 It says, "cannot predict now". 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Well one reason we opted for a suite was the special lifeboats reserved for us...... oh... Princess said not to talk about it.... :classic_biggrin:

Seriously when we go on a Carib cruise we just like to hang at the pool. At times this experience became so frustrating (no doubt due in part to chair hogs) that we gravitated towards suites with dedicated pool areas (Retreat, YC) or used the Sanctuary (on Grand class where pool was directly below) or HAL cabanas near pool.  So maybe a bit sensitive if spacing is challenged in Sun Sanctuary. We will do a balcony on HAL immediately after our Sun cruise... with no dedicated pool we never look at a suite.   

Not to mention that its assumed that we pay a higher fare for the suites for access to the Sanctuary which is now being given away for zero cost. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

Not to mention that it’s assumed that we pay a higher fare for the suites for access to the Sanctuary which is now being given away for zero cost. 

It’s not zero cost when you see how much the DO balcony prices have increased to almost double. I think Princess doesn’t know how to get out of its own way with all these new ideas they’ve got for Sphere class. Look at what they did to the so-called Reserve Cabana Minis, that now no longer have reserve dining. That was fast, 8 months before nixing that benefit. And surprise! No price drop for the loss of dining. 

Just now, vjmatty said:

It’s not zero cost when you see how much the DO balcony prices have increased to almost double. I think Princess doesn’t know how to get out of its own way with all these new ideas they’ve got for Sphere class. Look at what they did to the so-called Reserve Cabana Minis, that now no longer have reserve dining. That was fast, 8 months before nixing that benefit. And surprise! No price drop for the loss of dining. 

It's a zero cost gift to those already booked in D0 and Reserve mini-suite (before the change to the Sanctuary class).  For those of us already booked in suites, there is absolutely no "upgrade." 

I wouldn't even care if Princess had not sent me an email telling me I've been upgraded, because there is no upgrade for suite passengers.  Just send the upgrade email to the D0 and Reserve mini-suite folks because they are getting free upgrades.

I understand that the prices have NOW gone up dramatically as Princess is trying to monetize the Sanctuary space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happy cruzin said:

I hope that they will keep the Suites-only section of the Sanctuary, I haven't seen anything YET that leads me to believe that has been discontinued. It would help those of us who booked true suites to feel that we still have some of our exclusive, dedicated suite space.

Does anyone know how many additional cabins are now included in the Sanctuary Collection?  I know 80 cabins are true suites - previously Signature Suites - but I am trying to figure out how many more cabins now have access to the Sanctuary and Restaurant.

I am wondering if with the addition of the "extra cabins" - perhaps they are not going to offer Sanctuary "day passes" as they do on other ships?? 

I highly doubt with the number of cabins, 215, that they're going to allow people to buy access. I feel like they're going for the Ship within a Ship for the Sanctuary Collection.

The new Sanctuary Collection aboard Sun Princess includes three levels of stateroom types – Signature Collection Suites (80), Mini Suites (123), and Premium Deluxe Balconies (12).

• Like 1

Are we sure that the RESERVE dining is gone?

Or could it be an (per as usual) error in the IT department.  

Do not some parts of the web-site still show the RESERVE.

I don't know how they can take that away, when guests actually PAID for it.

They will have to honor something for these bookings.

Yes,  I can see this disappearing, upon some tba date,  and the RESERVE dining room being changed to another, revenue producing restaurant/venue.  OR,  with the increase of cabins in the new SANCTUARY category/class...  I can see that they will need two dining rooms that are Signarutre/SANCTUARY.    If people are worried that the SANCTUARY will now be crowded...  try getting into the SANCTUARY/Signature restaurant.

So, the Reserve dining room will simply become a second option for SANCTUARY guests.

"some of us who purchased a premiere package might feel slighted as this is now standard. "

I can see how that might feel...  but, the thing is, there has been no 'slight'....  You have been given access to all these Sanctuary areas... I would be happy and see that as a gift.

59 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Are we sure that the RESERVE dining is gone?

Or could it be an (per as usual) error in the IT department.  

Do not some parts of the web-site still show the RESERVE.

I don't know how they can take that away, when guests actually PAID for it.

They will have to honor something for these bookings.

Yes,  I can see this disappearing, upon some tba date,  and the RESERVE dining room being changed to another, revenue producing restaurant/venue.  OR,  with the increase of cabins in the new SANCTUARY category/class...  I can see that they will need two dining rooms that are Signarutre/SANCTUARY.    If people are worried that the SANCTUARY will now be crowded...  try getting into the SANCTUARY/Signature restaurant.

So, the Reserve dining room will simply become a second option for SANCTUARY guests.

Those currently booked in reserve cabins are being grandfathered, according to emails received from some of the members here who had reserve cabana minis already booked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

It's a zero cost gift to those already booked in D0 and Reserve mini-suite (before the change to the Sanctuary class).  For those of us already booked in suites, there is absolutely no "upgrade." 

I wouldn't even care if Princess had not sent me an email telling me I've been upgraded, because there is no upgrade for suite passengers.  Just send the upgrade email to the D0 and Reserve mini-suite folks because they are getting free upgrades.

I understand that the prices have NOW gone up dramatically as Princess is trying to monetize the Sanctuary space.

Sorry, I didn’t realize you meant those already booked, since it’s a small number and there are only about a dozen DO per sailing. Either way this has been poorly handled in so many ways, yet Princess seems committed to finding even more ways to outdo itself, and not in a good way. 

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I am referring to zero cost for those that have current reservations. Yes, a new booking has increased to cover it, but they have added access to those that didn't pay for it with existing reservations.

5 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I am referring to zero cost for those that have current reservations. Yes, a new booking has increased to cover it, but they have added access to those that didn't pay for it with existing reservations.

I booked under these conditions, so for some of us, we will now get what we paid for.

IMG_5677.jpeg

45 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

Yes I understand that now, you were referring to the few lucky people during a snapshot in time that will get something for nothing.  To me that’s not the bigger issue as we’ve all come to learn that some days we’re the pigeon and some days we’re the statue. The DO gift is a sporadic finite occurrence involving a dozen or so cabins per sailing that hadn’t even all been booked due to privacy issues

The more pressing and consistent problem is that Princess has taken unreliable to a whole new level, up to the point where every week there is another shoe dropping about one of the Sphere class ships. Dining reservations are still a mess, Cabana reserve minis are being shafted out of private dining for the same price, and suite prices are skyrocketing for the addition of Premier which is way above the price difference if purchased separately.  It’s almost as if Princess has three or four advisors all in a contest to see who can give the worst advice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Dining reservations are still a mess, Cabana reserve minis are being shafted out of private dining for the same price

My understanding is that the reserve cabana class cabins that booked before this announcement are being grandfathered in and will get all the same benefits (at least private dining, no idea about sanctuary access) for their cruise but going forward it will be just a normal class cabin. I believe people have been posting that a “sanctuary class” item has been added to their extras to denote this grandfathering process. This in theory would mean access to all sanctuary items meaning for cruises with booked reserve class cabins that these sanctuary areas will have more people than they will going forward, so not just the 215 cabins.

i don’t think anyone is “losing” things they booked except for signature (suite) class cabins since it seems the signature section of the sanctuary is going away and it’s being speculated that the signature restaurant will be shared since they are using vague references to private dining instead of direct references like the suite only lounge.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, keldaria said:

My understanding is that the reserve cabana class cabins that booked before this announcement are being grandfathered in and will get all the same benefits (at least private dining, no idea about sanctuary access) for their cruise but going forward it will be just a normal class cabin. I believe people have been posting that a “sanctuary class” item has been added to their extras to denote this grandfathering process. This in theory would mean access to all sanctuary items meaning for cruises with booked reserve class cabins that these sanctuary areas will have more people than they will going forward, so not just the 215 cabins.

i don’t think anyone is “losing” things they booked except for signature (suite) class cabins since it seems the signature section of the sanctuary is going away and it’s being speculated that the signature restaurant will be shared since they are using vague references to private dining instead of direct references like the suite only lounge.

That is correct, those already booked are grandfathered. The shafting I’m referring to is that the cabin fare has not been reduced to make up for the loss of reserve dining. If you book a C1 or C2 cabana mini, you’re now getting less for the same price. I don’t believe they’re getting sanctuary access but then again why would they want it when they have a smaller and more private deck with the option of shade?

23 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

That is correct, those already booked are grandfathered. The shafting I’m referring to is that the cabin fare has not been reduced to make up for the loss of reserve dining. If you book a C1 or C2 cabana mini, you’re now getting less for the same price. I don’t believe they’re getting sanctuary access but then again why would they want it when they have a smaller and more private deck with the option of shade?

I assumed those cabin classes would be going away and reverting to normal CA or CB class cabins for future bookings since a separate category for them would no longer make sense without reserve benefits. However that’s just an assumption. Ironically looking at the website I can see C1 & C2 bookings which still ironically list reserve class benefits being included for new bookings but I assume that’s an oversight awaiting correction.

4 minutes ago, keldaria said:

I assumed those cabin classes would be going away and reverting to normal CA or CB class cabins for future bookings since a separate category for them would no longer make sense without reserve benefits. However that’s just an assumption. Ironically looking at the website I can see C1 & C2 bookings which still ironically list reserve class benefits being included for new bookings but I assume that’s an oversight awaiting correction.

You know I was thinking that too, just change them to CA and CB, but then I remembered the cabana deck access, so I think they might have to keep a separate category for that benefit.

Interesting the website hasn’t changed yet, maybe when they remove the reserve dining reference the price will come down but I’m not holding my breath lol, especially since the pricing has already changed for the new Sanctuary Class. 

4 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

I had read elsewhere that the suite holders had their own dedicated escalator that went from forward to aft and vice versa when needed to avoid the maddening crowds. 😉