Celebrity Apex -Norweigan Fjords-Sea days

I've been on a Norway sailing that had once nice day (spent by the pool).  On the other sea days I went to some activities, watched a movie, went to the spa, and read a book.  This wasn't on Celebrity, but I'm sailing on a similar cruise this summer with X and hope I can do the same.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surprisingly on our cruises the decks were bustling with people while sailing through the Fjords.   Also many out walking the track.   Retreat had a Hot Chocolate Social at the Retreat Sun Deck.  It was actually packed.

Like any other TA, TP or longer cruises there are many things scheduled for every 50 minute period -- Guest Speakers, Trivia, Wine Tasting, etc etc.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Cable3232

Looking at any May/June Fjord video online, you will notice generally sunny and windy days. (Now that I have jinxed it).

That was our experience last year (we did use our hot tub a few times), and we will expect the same.

You will also notice cruisers wearing swimming gear next to people dressed for arctic winters. So that is what we will pack for.

What is there to do on board? What other posters have said, but you won't have time to be bored.

FYI - See you onboard. We, too, are on the sailing. 😃

We did a Norway cruise a few years ago and I spent most of my time outside just enjoying the scenery.  It is spectacular.  As a photographer I wanted to see the light of the early morning and late evening, morning meant 4am, sunset was around 11pm so an afternoon nap was often in order.  Seriously, find some out door locations and just watch the world go by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Click said:

We did a Norway cruise a few years ago and I spent most of my time outside just enjoying the scenery.  It is spectacular.  As a photographer I wanted to see the light of the early morning and late evening, morning meant 4am, sunset was around 11pm so an afternoon nap was often in order.  Seriously, find some out door locations and just watch the world go by.

Our May 2015 Fjords cruise was mostly gray days. We were drenched in Bergen thanks to heavy rains, and it was so early that the Dalsnibba viewpoint out of Geiranger was blocked by snow.

Hoping late August/early September next year on the Apex will be better weather. Like you, Mr. Click, DH is an avid photographer, which is why we booked a porthole veranda vs. an infinite veranda. So much easier to access the open-air view to quickly take advantage of that perfect photo op!

• Thanks 1

Those IVs are why I will avoid the E Class ships.  I need to be able to sit out or quickly step out.  One of my favorite Norway images was made at 11:20pm when the setting sun bathed an island we were passing in stunning orange/gold light.  You just never know when that moment will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can I ask, Apologies again as a first time cruisers.

Is a shore excursion each day of the cruise too much?

I've booked via Celebrity. I'm wondering if we will be absolutely exhausted or if it will be okay? All excursions state *moderate*. 

Day 1. Boarding.

Day 2. Bruges (excursion morning 4 hours).

Day 3. Cruising

Day 4. Flam (excursion 7.5 hours)

Day 5. Geiranger (excursion morning 4 hours)

Day 6. Alesund (excursion afternoon 3 hours)

Day 7. Kristiansand (excursion afternoon 3 hours)

Day 8. Cruising.

We have booked a B2B for July of next year on the Apex.  Since we booked this last Nov while cruising we were fortunate to be able to get a Sunset veranda for both of them.  Plan to be up on top a good share of the time and also just enjoy that aft view.  We are very much forward to this cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Cable3232
1 hour ago, Nodrog2024 said:

I've booked via Celebrity. I'm wondering if we will be absolutely exhausted or if it will be okay? All excursions state *moderate*. 

Day 1. Boarding.

Day 3. Cruising

Day 8. Cruising.

It depends on how manic you like your life to be.

I think that is two too many excursions if you want a relaxing cruise/holiday. 

Keep in mind there are loads to do and take part in once the ship leaves the port.

FYI - Flam - Pick the right side of the carriage for Flam railway and make sure the window goes up/down). If you are able to pick a seat or side in the mad rush. 

3 hours ago, Cable3232 said:

FYI - Flam - Pick the right side of the carriage for Flam railway and make sure the window goes up/down). If you are able to pick a seat or side in the mad rush. 

I am hoping we can book the Flam railway independently- up and down without time in Myrdal.

@Nodrog2024 One thing to consider is how much time you will spend on the bus for each excursion. From your excursion time in Alesund, it seems you haven't booked the Troll Road- that's probably a good thing! Even though I thought it would be wonderful, when I read the details it seemed there were limited brief stops along the route. Most all your ports except for Flam will give you free time to explore on your own. One thing I wish we had booked in Geiranger was the rib boat excursion, but unfortunately that is not one of the ports on our 2025 itinerary.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nodrog2024 said:

Day 1. Boarding.

Day 3. Cruising

Day 8. Cruising.

I think it depends on how much you want to see vs. how much you want to relax.  I went on a Mediterranean cruise last summer and wanted to see  stuff, so I had a tour booked for each port (I booked privately though because I don't have much tolerance for shore excursions).  For Norway I'm doing a lot more time on our own compared to tours, but that's just a personal preference.  I see you have some shorter tours which I think will give you a nice mix of seeing things and having some time to explore on your own.  Kristiansand is small and you can walk from the port into town easily.  In Alesund the ship docked mere steps away from a really pretty part of the town.  The open air museums in those towns are really interesting, BTW.  

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Nodrog2024 said:

Day 1. Boarding.

Day 3. Cruising

Day 8. Cruising.

Personally I think those excursions are very nicely paced.  On that cruise I'd def. get out to see as much as I can.  I don't know your health/age/limitations etc. but actually there are 3 excursions that are only half day, looks great to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Those IVs are why I will avoid the E Class ships.  I need to be able to sit out or quickly step out.  One of my favorite Norway images was made at 11:20pm when the setting sun bathed an island we were passing in stunning orange/gold light.  You just never know when that moment will happen. 

I really like the E-class ships but I would not stay in the IV cabins, I have to have a balcony.  That is true for sea days, or a cruise like this or Alaska.

• Like 1

Guest Cable3232

I would watch a guy/channel on "the tube of you" called "Gary Bembridge".

Loads of Norway (and cruising) advice.

The video on "7 Things That Trip Up Norway Fjords Cruisers Every Time!" has great tips.

20 hours ago, Cable3232 said:

Looking at any May/June Fjord video online, you will notice generally sunny and windy days. (Now that I have jinxed it).

That was our experience last year (we did use our hot tub a few times), and we will expect the same.

You will also notice cruisers wearing swimming gear next to people dressed for arctic winters. So that is what we will pack for.

What is there to do on board? What other posters have said, but you won't have time to be bored.

FYI - See you onboard. We, too, are on the sailing. 😃

Is there only one Apex cruise to the fjords this year?

Guest Cable3232
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

Looks that way

Edited by Cable3232
Updated

9 hours ago, swjumbo said:

I believe there are more than one.  When I booked we had quite a few options to choose from, but maybe some are full now.  Last time I looked only the $36K per person suite was available, but I also know that these things change all the time.