Princess cruise lasagna

LalarayLal

22 minutes ago, LalarayLal said:

I’m looking for the recipe for the princess cruise lasagna

Not sure there is one recipe.  Have found it to vary as to the ingredients (varied cheeses) and the amount of meat for example.

Have an upcoming cruise?  I would ask on board.  They always provided me any I requested with a qualifier that each chef does a bit of their own thing.

25 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not sure there is one recipe.  Have found it to vary as to the ingredients (varied cheeses) and the amount of meat for example.

Have an upcoming cruise?  I would ask on board.  They always provided me any I requested with a qualifier that each chef does a bit of their own thing.

You are so right about there being different recipes!  We spent 3 weeks last year on the Ruby and LOVED the lasagna.  It was offered more than once.  We just spent 2 weeks on the Emerald and it wasn't at all like the lasagna on the Ruby & only offered once in 2 weeks lol.  

Posted (edited)

I have had at 3 different versions of lasagna on Princess.

I like the old version that was served in the dining room at lunch that had béchamel sauce.

The room service lasagna was the worst.

Edited by Coral

I tried "Mama's Meat Lasagna" on Grand Princess on our last cruise(s). It was worse than grade school lunchroom lasagna - literally the absolute worst lasagna I have ever tasted. I ate maybe 3 bites of it and was done, done, done. Of course I was also served the absolute worst - bar none -

"Admiral Byrd's Fish & Chips". It was nasty. Another person ordered it on another night while at our table. He tried a couple of bites and then left it on the plate in disgust.

14 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I tried "Mama's Meat Lasagna" on Grand Princess on our last cruise(s). It was worse than grade school lunchroom lasagna - literally the absolute worst lasagna I have ever tasted. I ate maybe 3 bites of it and was done, done, done.

I agree it was not good. And here they had a great recipe from years ago.

So there was the version on the lunch menu for years (which was excellent), there was the version on the room service menu (not good), Mama's Meat lasagna in the dining room (not good) and there was a version in Sabatini's. I am guessing I have forgotten a few versions.

Do you suppose they are making it with whatever they have left over from the buffet?

It seems like they would have one winning recipe used ship wide unless they are using leftovers.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

Italian night tonight!  The lasagna starter was mouth-wateringly fantastic. Better than the piece I had earlier from The Eatery. Sorry, it looked so good I forgot the pic. The chicken parm was equally excellent. We went to the Reserve dining room about 8:15 and were seated immediately. 

IMG_2882.thumb.jpeg.3d80e697fe1fa95d41bd56c9f9854475.jpeg

IMG_2883.thumb.jpeg.28a6416927e803bf5d019cc03d3e49b9.jpeg

IMG_2884.thumb.jpeg.9c4e96c9f2c0b1ffc7d141cf35dad96e.jpeg

IMG_2885.thumb.jpeg.5f41849b1ce06108e5fce0084b2b46a6.jpeg

7 hours ago, Coral said:

I have had at 3 different versions of lasagna on Princess.

I like the old version that was served in the dining room at lunch that had béchamel sauce.

The room service lasagna was the worst.

In the Live from Sun thread the author dining in the Reserve dining room wrote this so maybe there’s some hope…maybe an Italian executive chef or one who was trained there.

“The lasagna starter was mouth-wateringly fantastic”.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coral said:

I agree it was not good. And here they had a great recipe from years ago.

So there was the version on the lunch menu for years (which was excellent), there was the version on the room service menu (not good), Mama's Meat lasagna in the dining room (not good) and there was a version in Sabatini's. I am guessing I have forgotten a few versions.

We had the lasagne at Sabatini's on Coral last month and it was probably the best I have ever had.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Teechur said:

Do you suppose they are making it with whatever they have left over from the buffet?

It seems like they would have one winning recipe used ship wide unless they are using leftovers.

No.

40 minutes ago, leck57 said:

We had the lasagne at Sabatini's on Coral last month and it was probably the best I have ever had.

That is great! They have changed the menu since I was there last. I had a trio which I think had lasagna. I just remember being disappointed with the chicken parmesan. I think I was full when the entree came, I barely ate the rest of the entree. Will definitely book Sabatini's the next time I am on a ship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

I tried "Mama's Meat Lasagna" on Grand Princess on our last cruise(s). It was worse than grade school lunchroom lasagna - literally the absolute worst lasagna I have ever tasted. I ate maybe 3 bites of it and was done, done, done. Of course I was also served the absolute worst - bar none -

"Admiral Byrd's Fish & Chips". It was nasty. Another person ordered it on another night while at our table. He tried a couple of bites and then left it on the plate in disgust.

It’s amazing how much it can vary. Two people at our table had that lasagna on the Enchanted last week and said it was great. It certainly looked nice. I think the message is that if something sounds good, order it. You can always ask for something else if you don’t like it.

7 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

It’s amazing how much it can vary. Two people at our table had that lasagna on the Enchanted last week and said it was great. It certainly looked nice. I think the message is that if something sounds good, order it. You can always ask for something else if you don’t like it.

It can be the chef on the ship. So yes, it can vary from ship to ship.

20 minutes ago, Coral said:

It can be the chef on the ship. So yes, it can vary from ship to ship.

Agreed! As staff move around, everything can change