Celebrity offered Anchorage to Seward train transfer

Sailing out of Seward in July and booked Alaska Railroad, Gold Star Dome for our party of ten.  Only thing is, the train leaves SUPER early (6:45am).  Celebrity is offering a nondescript train transfer leaving at a much more humane 11:30 am.  The price is basically the same, but I can’t find a good description of the train.  Is it the same train, same route?

Anyone have any experience with this?

11 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Sailing out of Seward in July and booked Alaska Railroad, Gold Star Dome for our party of ten.  Only thing is, the train leaves SUPER early (6:45am).  Celebrity is offering a nondescript train transfer leaving at a much more humane 11:30 am.  The price is basically the same, but I can’t find a good description of the train.  Is it the same train, same route?

Anyone have any experience with this?

It is the same train and same route.   The 11:30 may be a charter. 

The difference usually on their regular trains the Dome Seats  "Gold Star" (upstairs) are sold at a premium. 

image.thumb.png.87e2d4124783f64b2f004450d643ff90.png

Regular seats are Adventure Class

image.thumb.png.c7e8f4752e2c99cc372b4534d0f98a15.png

• Like 1

The Celebrity offering is chartered train service departing from the Anchorage airport.  The same tracks but the cruise ship chartered trains end at the Seward cruise terminal.  These chartered trains must be purchased through the cruise line.

The early morning train service purchased directly from the Alaska Railroad departs Anchorage from the downtown rail station and ends at the Seward train depot.  The Seward train station isn't very far from the cruise terminal.

While it is an easy drive the drop off fees for a one way rental vehicle is breathtaking.

The road and train run parallel from Anchorage to basically Portage.  There the train route diverges into a different valley.  The road and train again run parallel from Moose Pass into Seward.   While opinions regarding scenery are subjective many people feel that the train route is more scenic.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is the same train and same route.   The 11:30 may be a charter. 

The difference usually on their regular trains the Dome Seats  "Gold Star" (upstairs) are sold at a premium. 

image.thumb.png.87e2d4124783f64b2f004450d643ff90.png

Regular seats are Adventure Class

image.thumb.png.c7e8f4752e2c99cc372b4534d0f98a15.png

So is there an option for the Gold Star seating through Celebrity?  It doesn’t seem to show it.  Has anyone actually booked the Gold Star on the chartered train and how did you do so?

On 3/16/2024 at 2:42 PM, KEN31VA said:

Think about renting a van as it is an easy drive.  You will see the same sights as the train and be able to stop along the way.

A van for 10 with luggage?  EM

On 3/17/2024 at 5:49 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

So is there an option for the Gold Star seating through Celebrity?  It doesn’t seem to show it.  Has anyone actually booked the Gold Star on the chartered train and how did you do so?

That I don't know. .  Our Alaska Expert -  @Northern Aurora may know this.   She is definitely my go to person for all things Alaska. 

On 3/17/2024 at 6:49 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

I booked this for my cruise coming up in May.  I booked it directly through AlaskaTravel.com.  With the Gold Star you get breakfast and 2 adult beverages.  It is rather pricey.  We paid $430 for 2 people, but we think it’ll be a nice way to get to Seward.

On 3/17/2024 at 4:49 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

Pre-pandemic we did a B2B Alaska cruises out of Seward, but we drove down in one of our vehicles.  I've never taken the Celebrity chartered train.  But if there is only one price for the Celebrity chartered train that would suggest one level of service.

5 hours ago, Boomersmama630 said:

@Northern Aurora In one of your replies above, you said same tracks. Is it the same train also? We are trying to figure out if we would get Gold Star service for the price Celebrity is asking.

The ARR tracks are the same whether folks book Gold Star or Adventure -- the cars are different, but the tracks are the same.   The scenery is the same, just the cars are different.  We live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and when we see passenger trains the cars are often a mixture of domed and "regular' cars.  

The one (and most likely only time) we have ever driven to a cruise port was when we drove down to Seward to board the Millennium for a B2B Seward to Vancouver and back.  At the end of that B2B I remember finishing breakfast in Luminae and watching the ARR chartered train leave from the Seward cruise terminal for the Anchorage airport.  It seems to me that the cars were all the "regular" (not domed) cars, but I am not positive.

The ARR passenger service is surprisingly expensive.  It is essentially a freight carrier.  The cost to fly from Fairbanks to Anchorage, even in first class, is much cheaper than spending the day to take the train down.  The flight is about 50 minutes, but the train is the entire day.

I'll just say one big advantage to the train vs. driving... There is ONE road between Anchorage and Seward, and if there is a bad accident - which can happen - everything on the road stops.

My second AK cruise was on Royal and was the southbound. The group I was with split between the train and the bus (I opted for the bus so I can't comment on the train). The train people got on a lot later than expected. We then learned from them that the road had been shut down due to an accident involving 1 or 2 helicopter extractions. They stopped the train and got as many people on the busses already on the road on as they could while holding all the other busses. The captain went ahead and held muster drill for those of us on board, and then once the road opened and things started moving again, everyone on those busses was directed to the theater for their muster (they were all back to back at that time, so it's not like the first was waiting forever). But (this from a couple who had opted for a private car and only made it because their driver managed to get in between the next to last and the last bus) as soon as the last bus entered the lot, the gates were closed. Anyone behind that last bus had to find their way to the next port or just deal with a cancelled by no-show cruise. So using either the train or a bus is definitely worth it in knowing you'll get on the ship in the event there is another bad wreck.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:42 AM, KEN31VA said:

Think about renting a van as it is an easy drive.  You will see the same sights as the train and be able to stop along the way.

Check with Hertz car rentals. I think Hertz charged us a $250 additional fee for one way drop off. 

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

The ARR tracks are the same whether folks book Gold Star or Adventure -- the cars are different, but the tracks are the same.   The scenery is the same, just the cars are different.  We live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and when we see passenger trains the cars are often a mixture of domed and "regular' cars.  

The one (and most likely only time) we have ever driven to a cruise port was when we drove down to Seward to board the Millennium for a B2B Seward to Vancouver and back.  At the end of that B2B I remember finishing breakfast in Luminae and watching the ARR chartered train leave from the Seward cruise terminal for the Anchorage airport.  It seems to me that the cars were all the "regular" (not domed) cars, but I am not positive.

The ARR passenger service is surprisingly expensive.  It is essentially a freight carrier.  The cost to fly from Fairbanks to Anchorage, even in first class, is much cheaper than spending the day to take the train down.  The flight is about 50 minutes, but the train is the entire day.

The issue is these are two separate trains. If I book the Alaska Railroad, or anyone else, it's the train leaving at 6:45am and offers the option for Gold Leaf Service.  Celebrity lists a train at 11:30am, but does not have various levels.  If this is a train entirely chartered by Celebrity, is it possibly there is only one level of service?

If you book directly with the ARR you have the option of either Adventure or Goldstar service.  This is the early morning train which leaves from the downtown Anchorage ARR station and takes folks to the Seward ARR station.

The Celebrity chartered train leaves hours later.  The chartered trains leave from the Anchorage Airport (there is a short rail spur) and go directly to the Seward cruise terminal (not the Seward ARR depot).  The chartered train service can only be booked through the cruise lines.  If there is only one price point then I suspect that only one service level is offered on the charters, but the question is whether it is the Adventure or Goldstar service.

The tracks are the same whether folks book directly with the ARR or book the chartered service.  The scenery is the same.  But the ARR does not parallel the road the entire way as it diverges from the road at Portage and then starts to run parallel to the road at Moose Pass.

The road runs through the Chugach National Forest much of the way.  There are no subdivisions or side roads.  So if there is a car accident the road is closed.  About a decade ago there was a very serious multi car accident at the entrance to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center which resulted in fatalities.  The road was closed for twelve hours and there was a cruise ship in Seward that day.  Some of the cruise line motor coaches were on the Anchorage side of the accident and the ship was hours delayed in leaving, which caused issues with the itinerary.  Given the space between the rail tracks and road (when the railroad is running parallel to the road) I am not aware of any road accident causing issues with operation of the ARR.