Global Entry renewal

Not specifically a cruise question but does anyone know how long it takes to get approval of Global Entry and TSA pre-check renewal? I applied in August and my application still says Pending almost 7 months later.

Mine took just about 13 months.

Some people have reported just a few days. Makes absolutely no sense but it is what it is.

Either way, and I experienced this, as long as you began the process before the original expired, it's still active.

I went so far as to drive to the airport to ask why it was taking so long. They were of no help. They did give me a number to call. I called it and followed the phone tree to where the recorded voice said that if my application was in the renewal process, they couldn't help with no further advice.

Unfortunately, you just have to wait it out with zero options for updated information offered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because of the long wait, your GE expiration date is extended up to a year, as long as you have an application in process.

i turned in my renewal in Jan, got conditional approval the end of Feb., and had to do an interview, which I did on departure from NAS; I just asked an CBP agent if they could do it.

• Thanks 1

I had to chase mine but I presumed that was because I renewed online in 2020.  I know in the end it was a simple video chat with an officer who asked to see my passport and old GE card.  After that the new card arrived in days.  If you have any phone number available for follow up I’d suggest you give it a try and see if it progresses.  Good luck! 

My first renewal I didn't need to go in for a meeting, but for the second renewal an interview was needed. I had to schedule a few months in advance, but the interview took about 5 or 10 minutes, and the new card came about a week or two later.

Ours (DW and me) took just over 9 months.  It almost seems like they have never gotten their act together from the backlog that happened during COVID.  Funny thing was DW was approved about 2 months faster then mine, but she needed to have another interview (which we did while rentering the country at ATL).  Mine was eventually approved without any new interview or an updated photo.  No explanation why they do what they do?

For those who have not entered the US in the past year, the procedures have really changed (for the better) for both GE and everyone else.  CBP has implemented facial recognition (at most of their locations) which makes things very fast.  On our recent entry through ATL we simply stopped at a GE kiosk. looked in the camera, and were approved within seconds.  At that point there was nothing printed out and we simply walked to the agents booth who glanced at our Passports and waved us through.  The procedure does not seem much different for folks without GE although their line was longer.  

To be honest, we do not think that GE  is worth much since it just gets us to the luggage carrousel faster and we have to wait for our bags.  A few months ago, at Port Everglades, everyone just went through a quick facial ID scan (no special line for GE).  If one cleared the facial ID system (which takes less then 5 seconds) they were done.  Only those who failed facial ID (which would be most with foreign Passports) were steered to a face-to-face with a CBP Officer.

To us, the biggest advantage of GE is also getting a KTN and having TSA Precheck.  That truly saves time at many airports for both domestic and international flights.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

To be honest, we do not think that GE  is worth much since it just gets us to the luggage carrousel faster and we have to wait for our bags.  A few months ago, at Port Everglades, everyone just went through a quick facial ID scan (no special line for GE).  If one cleared the facial ID system (which takes less then 5 seconds) they were done.  Only those who failed facial ID (which would be most with foreign Passports) were steered to a face-to-face with a CBP Officer.

Hank

I think it really depends on the airport and flight activity.  Our last return to SFO those without GE were to the luggage carousel before those of us with GE.  First time that has happened.  But if there are several arrivals happening at SFO, the regular line for returning citizens can be 45 minutes or more.   Where GE can really pay off is when there is a connection and things are backed up in the regular line.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think it really depends on the airport and flight activity.  Our last return to SFO those without GE were to the luggage carousel before those of us with GE.  First time that has happened.  But if there are several arrivals happening at SFO, the regular line for returning citizens can be 45 minutes or more.   Where GE can really pay off is when there is a connection and things are backed up in the regular line.  

We found the same at DFW; some of the time there is no dramatic delay getting through immigration for those without GE, but on occasion, if you arrive at a time with a few flights, the lines can be staggering. Then Global Entry is wonderful.

• Like 1