Lunch on the day of Embarkation

hcruise5

Yes, but the hours are limited.  They usually close around 1:00 pm. The crew will try to direct you to the buffet, but insist you want the MDR.  We always try to have lunch in MDR,  as it’s quiet and not a madhouse like the buffet.  Enjoy!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

There will be one MDR open and hours often vary by itinerary. Alaska cruises seem to have earlier hours

Don't think the Enchanted does Alaska. 

The Discovery times were both for Mexican Riviera Cruises, December, January and February. 

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, but the hours are limited.  They usually close around 1:00 pm. The crew will try to direct you to the buffet, but insist you want the MDR.  We always try to have lunch in MDR,  as it’s quiet and not a madhouse like the buffet.  Enjoy!

They've been providing a leaflet at boarding listing the MDR as a embarkation day lunch venue. It's been much more crowded than the usual!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Don't think the Enchanted does Alaska. 

The Discovery times were both for Mexican Riviera Cruises, December, January and February. 

On the Discovery in Alaska last year the lunch hours were 11:30 to 1:00. Usually we have seen it 12:00 to 1:30 on other itineraries. Lately we have taken to boarding 2:00 or so after having a nice lunch on land. After all we will be in the ships MDR many times during the cruise so it is nice to treat ourselves to something different. Next month we are doing a high tea prior to boarding at a restaurant within Canada Place

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

Lately we have taken to boarding 2:00 or so after having a nice lunch on land. After all we will be in the ships MDR many times during the cruise so it is nice to treat ourselves to something different.

This is exactly what we have done for years.  No need to rush to the ship to deal with crowds in the terminal.  We show up a couple of hours before the ship is scheduled to depart and walk right on with no waiting at all.

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

On the Discovery in Alaska last year the lunch hours were 11:30 to 1:00. Usually we have seen it 12:00 to 1:30 on other itineraries. Lately we have taken to boarding 2:00 or so after having a nice lunch on land. After all we will be in the ships MDR many times during the cruise so it is nice to treat ourselves to something different. Next month we are doing a high tea prior to boarding at a restaurant within Canada Place

We like they've changed it to 11:30 am since we usually skip breakfast and the Elite boarding lounge carb heavy offerings. 

Where is the high tea?  Sounds like an option to not have to deal with the crowds at Vancouver Place.

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We like they've changed it to 11:30 am since we usually skip breakfast and the Elite boarding lounge carb heavy offerings. 

Where is the high tea?  Sounds like an option to not have to deal with the crowds at Vancouver Place.

5 Sails just an elevator ride to embarkation 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

For the embarkation lunch? 

On the Discovry last year it was all MDR lunches including embarkation. We were surprised when we sat down and were told we would have to order as soon as our wine arrived 

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

On the Discovry last year it was all MDR lunches including embarkation. We were surprised when we sat down and were told we would have to order as soon as our wine arrived 

Interesting.  I will have to make note of that in case I book a cruise on the Discovery up in Alaska.  

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

All Discovery MDR lunches have changed hours to 11:30 am - 1:00 pm. 

Do you know how early you can board in Seattle these days?  We haven't sailed on Princess from Seattle for 6-7 years now, but in the past they didn't even start boarding until after 11 am, and if you weren't in the priority boarding group, you were lucky to get on by noon.

14 minutes ago, sherryf said:

Do you know how early you can board in Seattle these days?  We haven't sailed on Princess from Seattle for 6-7 years now, but in the past they didn't even start boarding until after 11 am, and if you weren't in the priority boarding group, you were lucky to get on by noon.

Last time I sailed from Seattle was about a year ago and it was a mess. There was no suite/elite line and just a pile up of people. There were 2 ship in and it was hard just to drop off our bags.  I will be sailing from there in 2025 and I probably will wait until at least 1:00 before trying to get there

• Like 1

6 hours ago, memoak said:

Last time I sailed from Seattle was about a year ago and it was a mess. There was no suite/elite line and just a pile up of people. There were 2 ship in and it was hard just to drop off our bags.  I will be sailing from there in 2025 and I probably will wait until at least 1:00 before trying to get there

I've sailed from Seattle many times, and there are ALWAYS 2 ships at Pier 91, one Princess and one HAL.  We've never had trouble dropping off bags.  I wonder if the port has changed that much since we last sailed from there. 🤔

Since we are doing B2B we wanted to have sushi for lunch on embarkation day on the Discovery Princess. Does anyone know if the Ocean Terrace is open for lunch on Embarkation day?

Posted (edited)

Since it is embarkation day and likely no access to cabin, what is the dress code in MDR for lunch. Will be on Regal from Galveston Feb 17, 25, for first cruise ever. Do most go dressed already or find someplace to change prior? Should not be a big issue either way, as I will go straight from hotel 2 blocks away during cool time of year. At worst, I'd be in dress shorts and camp button up and Birkens, but don't want to stand out, and can easily go in kakis and moccasins already. Just asking what is common and known for that day in Main Dining Room. (I am wanting to get in early to try to book space at Sanctuary)

Edited by mmarichalar
typo

15 minutes ago, mmarichalar said:

Since it is embarkation day and likely no access to cabin, what is the dress code in MDR for lunch. Will be on Regal from Galveston Feb 17, 25, for first cruise ever. Do most go dressed already or find someplace to change prior? Should not be a big issue either way, as I will go straight from hotel 2 blocks away during cool time of year. At worst, I'd be in dress shorts and camp button up and Birkens, but don't want to stand out, and can easily go in kakis and moccasins already. Just asking what is common and known for that day in Main Dining Room. (I am wanting to get in early to try to book space at Sanctuary)

At lunch nothing to worry about I usually show up in jeans and a t shirt for breakfast and lunch. Slacks and button down shirts are reserved for dinner and many times I still wear jeans at dinner 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

At lunch nothing to worry about I usually show up in jeans and a t shirt for breakfast and lunch. Slacks and button down shirts are reserved for dinner and many times I still wear jeans at dinner 

Thank you. Appreciate the information. 🙂