Townships and or villages seen from the ship on an Alaskan cruise?

Candycane10

We will be sailing on The Discovery Princess inside passage in May.  Our first Alaskan cruise. I have read that you see land a lot on the Alaskan cruises.  We were wondering if you see villages or townships built near the water as you cruise to different ports?  Thanks in advance.  

I may be misunderstanding your question but what is the point of looking at and taking pictures of villages as you cruise past them out at sea.  What would you see?

DON

1 hour ago, Candycane10 said:

We will be sailing on The Discovery Princess inside passage in May.  Our first Alaskan cruise. I have read that you see land a lot on the Alaskan cruises.  We were wondering if you see villages or townships built near the water as you cruise to different ports?  Thanks in advance.  

You may see some houses along the way or lights at night.  If you were sailing between the islands you would sail past villages but you will be out in the ocean and far from land.  You will mostly see the trees, maybe a lighthouse.  Princess used to have a large map showing the points of interest along the inside passage.  There is a cruise handbook for cruising Alaska,

”The Alaska Cruise Handbook” by Joe Upton.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Candycane10 said:

We were wondering if you see villages or townships built near the water as you cruise to different ports.

You would get much more "close cruising" on a river cruise boat  than you will on an ocean cruise ship, so perhaps an option for you to consider in the future?

Edited by edinburgher

If you are on a cruise that goes inside Vancouver Island, you will see some towns.  You can see the totem poles as you sail by Alert Bay.  In Alaska, there aren’t really many towns you would sail by that would be close enough to see.  Many of the villages are tucked into inlets.  You can see the dock at Gustavus if you know where to look.

44 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

If you are on a cruise that goes inside Vancouver Island, you will see some towns.  You can see the totem poles as you sail by Alert Bay.  In Alaska, there aren’t really many towns you would sail by that would be close enough to see.  Many of the villages are tucked into inlets.  You can see the dock at Gustavus if you know where to look.

44 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

16 hours ago, Candycane10 said:

Thanks we are getting excited.  So different from The Caribbean 

It is very different. I think many don't recognize this until on the cruise.

I never thought I would like Alaska. Now, I would pick Alaska over Caribbean any day.

Although you may not see many from the ship, you can use a gps map that will show what towns you are passing by. I use maps.me. Although free, it does require you to download maps for the regions where you’ll be using it. We’ve also used it while driving when we have no cell service.

Frequent Alaska cruiser here. As mentioned if you are sailing on the inside of Vancouver Island you will see lots of towns. I find the stretch between Campbell River and Port Hardy one of ,u favorite sections 

One time while on an NCL ship we passed by Bella Bella, the only time I've ever seen it  must have been around 7am, a calm and cloudless day.  Enchanting 

• Like 1

Based on the typical route and timing for the Discovery Princess, the opportunities to see any villages will be few.  On the morning of the day you arrive in Juneau you may be able to see Kake in the distance on the starboard side.  When you leave Skagway in the evening you will be able to see the town of Haines on the starboard side.  As noted above, you may be able to see some piers related to Bartlett Cove, Gustavus or Icy Straight Point on your Glacier Bay day.  Depending on the route taken, Metlakatla may be visible on the port side after you leave Ketchikan.  Others are passed during the night. 

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think the OP might think they can get cell coverage if they can see little towns.

Actually you can.  There’s cell service as you go by Haines and Hoonah, near the mouth of Glacier Bay, and places near Ketchikan by Metlakatla and Prince of Wales Island.  You just have to be careful the ship doesn’t turn on the ship cell tower as your phone will immediately override to that service and $$$!