Cruise ships with a proper outdoor promenade deck suitable for walking

Hi Everyone,

Walking on a proper outdoor promenade deck is something my wife and I have always enjoyed.

It is unique to cruising.

Please name any and every ship you know of that is currently in service that still has a proper outside promenade deck.

Thanks in Advance for your responses.

Posted (edited)

Cunard.  HAL ships up through Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  Princess all ships older than Royal class.  Carnival Dream Class, partial on Spirit class.  MSC Sea class.  MSC Fantasia class, sides only, no views.  Crystal. EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our favorite ship, QM2 of the Cunard Line.

Has what we would call a Classic Promenade Dreck.

3 Times around equals a Mile.

Very well used both Morning thru to Evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Royal Caribbean Vision Class - Vision, Grandeur, Enchantment.  The very front is usually closed, however, as it is a work space for crew, so we walk as far as we can, and then double back (or cross over via the inside lobby).

A real promenade deck is a must for us (and I don't mean the indoor Royal Promenade).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

RCCL - All Radiance, Voyager, and Freedom class ships. You can also access the helipad on these ships.  Oasis class ships are not open to the outside around the bow or to the helipad, following an enclosed course there, but do go completely around the ship.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zaandam, Volendam, Noordam, Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Oosterdam - the older HAL ships - are great for walking. The newer ships decks are more narrow, but yes you can still walk around.

• Thanks 1

Agree totally and we would nt go on a  cruise ship that didn't have a prom deck.  Sailing from the UK we have plenty of choice as all the Fred Olsen ships, P and O ships and Saga ships have prom decks.  (there will be others, these are the ones I know about).  Fred has fairly recently acquired two ships from HAL and renamed them. 

• Thanks 1

Funny thing about ships with decent Promenades.  Most of the time we sit or walk on those decks we might run into a few dozen other passengers.  But a few dozen, out of more than 1000, 2000, etc. really makes me wonder what happens to all the folks who claim to love Promenades.  It seems like, these days, the typical cruiser will wait 15 minutes for an elevator to take them one deck, complain when they need to walk from one end of a ship to the other, etc.

Hank

• Like 1

It isn't the walking that I like about promenade decks, Hank, it's the lounge chairs. I love to sit and read on the promenade deck, beats any balcony cabin I have had. The promenade deck is closer to the water, gives a wider view, and has the option of shady/sunny and windy/calm and island view/ocean view.

Not a deal breaker for me, my next ship will not have a promenade deck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Funny thing about ships with decent Promenades.  Most of the time we sit or walk on those decks we might run into a few dozen other passengers.  But a few dozen, out of more than 1000, 2000, etc. really makes me wonder what happens to all the folks who claim to love Promenades.  It seems like, these days, the typical cruiser will wait 15 minutes for an elevator to take them one deck, complain when they need to walk from one end of a ship to the other, etc.

Hank

On QM2 there is a steady stream of walkers - even when direct deck 7 access is closed due to high winds. The hardy souls will head out on aft to either deck 6 or 8, and use the exterior stairs to the promenade and enjoy a brisk walk in the force 10 breeze.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hi Hank,

You have made a good point , but I am still a fan of a proper promenade deck on a ship,

The last cruise I took on the Rotterdam in March of 2024 there seemed to be more than a few dozen who shared my enthusiasum. Like most folks , I tend to overindulge on a cruise , so those walks around the deck help me to offset that to some point. I also don't know anywhere else where you can take a walk in the middle of the ocean .

• Like 1

IME most cruise ships have either a prom' deck suitable for walking or a running/walking track <often on a high deck> ....

Disney's newest ship WISH actually gets beaten up by many cuz they LACK this . . .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

IME most cruise ships have either a prom' deck suitable for walking or a running/walking track <often on a high deck> ....

Disney's newest ship WISH actually gets beaten up by many cuz they LACK this . . .

Different type of cruise than what we look for…… 

On 3/27/2024 at 10:14 AM, horseymike said:

Hi Hank,

You have made a good point , but I am still a fan of a proper promenade deck on a ship,

The last cruise I took on the Rotterdam in March of 2024 there seemed to be more than a few dozen who shared my enthusiasum. Like most folks , I tend to overindulge on a cruise , so those walks around the deck help me to offset that to some point. I also don't know anywhere else where you can take a walk in the middle of the ocean .

When we were on the HAL Eurodam in January, the cruise exercise director led a one mile march around the ship every morning starting at 7 am.  I think we made it up there on 10 of the 11 days.

Maybe that is one of the reasons we did not gain much weight on the ship ... other than all those stairs !

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jlawrence01 said:

When we were on the HAL Eurodam in January, the cruise exercise director led a one mile march around the ship every morning starting at 7 am.  I think we made it up there on 10 of the 11 days.

Maybe that is one of the reasons we did not gain much weight on the ship ... other than all those stairs !

CD on Vision of the Seas did the same, except on the upper deck.  I believe it was pretty well attended.  Much as I love a promenade deck, and choose it during the day, an early morning walk on the upper deck, before the sun is overwhelming, is fabulous, too.

• Like 1