Live From: Bliss 5 Day Coastal Mar 31-Apr 5 with Hollywood Pre Cruise

On 3/30/2024 at 9:31 AM, ceilidh1 said:

Bye Bye Hollywood, Hello San Pedro…

Parting Thoughts: I’m glad we chose to stay in Hollywood as a base as it was the closest place to all of the attractions we wanted to visit. That being said, I think our biggest expense while here has been Lyft rides to and from each place. 

Hotel: I don’t foresee us ever having to stay in the Hollywood area again but if we did I would definitely consider staying here. It’s literally around the corner from Loews Hotel so very central and safe (for this area). The hotel was clean and quiet and the staff were wonderful. The breakfast is very basic but this was one of the few places that even offered breakfast. My only complaint would be the lack of coffee throughout the day. Once breakfast is over the coffee is taken away. Even though we had a room with a kitchen, there was no coffee maker or kettle so no ability to make your own. Still a solid 8/10 for the hotel though!

Area: As you can imagine, the place is packed with tourists and everyone wants those tourist dollars. I’m savvy enough to know not to accept those offers of “free” photos, or take those cards being thrust in your face as you navigate the walk of fame. This was all too much for my nervous 12 year old and he was in full sensory overload the whole time. I loved the energy but he was not comfortable in this environment at all.

Food: Lots of options to get food but it was definitely higher priced than I’m used to in the U.S. it was more akin to Vancouver pricing! Even Target and CVS were way over priced…and why is laundry detergent and deodorant locked away???

Things that made me smile: On our hike in the hills, the guide pointed out a big 3 bedroom, beautiful house with stunning views that just sold for $2 million. Everyone was horrified. Living in Vancouver and knowing you wouldn’t even buy a 2 bedroom crummy apartment for that price…I smiled. Maybe it’s time to move!

Don’t you dare move!!!!!!

• Like 2

On 3/31/2024 at 5:47 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Cavern Club outdoor seating for pre dinner drinks. We have a tradition where DS and DD take turns in deciding what drink I should get. DS is in his own this time and decided I needed a Botanical Spritz. Not something I would have ever ordered but actually really good!

IMG_2409.jpeg

Your kids are the coolest!!

Dinner at The Manhattan Room. We made reservations before we got on the ship but when we got to the podium the guy told us “no reservations. First come first served”. I was like…but I have a reservation. He told me to go to the next podium. There appeared to be an argument at this podium as a group of 16 had a reservation but were being told “no reservations “. I’m not sure where the disconnect was but obviously some confusion going on. We did get seated right away but, what???

IMG_2484.jpeg

• Like 6

I took advantage of the plus upgrade and ordered a bottle of the Pinot Grigio along with my Aqua Panna. 

As appies we got the crab wontons and bruschetta to share. My main was the New York strip and I was surprised to hear DS order the vegetable burrito. DS LOVES burritos but his idea of burritos is the chipotle finest of rice, beans, and chicken. The look on his face when presented with a burrito full of veggies with the rice and beans on the side was priceless. THIS is what memories are made of!

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2497.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Oh dear. I may have just done something I swore I would never do. Don’t get excited - it’s not shenanigans! I’ve always said I would never book a cruise while on a cruise as it’s kind of an impulse thing and I don’t do that. Well, @YVRteacher is a really bad influence and she just booked for spring break while on Breakaway (check out her live - it’s awesome). So, of course, I had to book to sail with her. The cruise next lady was lovely and talked a mile a minute so I’m still not sure what I agreed to. But I appear to be booked on Getaway for spring break next year!!!! Yahoooooo

I’m already looking forward to the Cruise Critic Live from the Getaway we will write!!

• Like 9

Everything was outstanding but n terms of food! DS decided the burrito was not for him so we switched. He has never had steak before and his reaction was “it’s such hard work, all this chewing.” I’m not a fan of burritos but this was actually very good. 

For dessert, of course, we had to do chocolate lava cake. As someone who LOVES chocolate but hates strawberries, I get really sad when chocolate goodness is paired with strawberry nastiness. I loved the lava cake. The strawberries not so much!

IMG_2498.jpeg

IMG_2499.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg

• Like 12

Funny stories from dinner:

I got a bottle of wine and our lovely server would refill my glass each time she walked by. In between I had to refill my own, cause I drink fast. I emptied that bottle before dessert. She took our dessert order and asked if I would like to take the rest of the bottle with me. Ummmmm…,

I live Aqua Panna. I don’t drink water other than this. I ordered a bottle and we were enjoying it. My glass was half empty and the water waiter guy came round and refilled with tap water. Nooooooo. I really wanted to say STOP but was so conscious of how white privileged that would sound. lol. “Don’t put your common tap water with my Aqua Panna”

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

After dinner we went to family friendly comedy. Again, I found the humour questionable. DS laughed so hard he had to leave to go to the bathroom in case he peed his pants. lol. This guy had some risqué content around Covid, politics, and race…

From comedy we went to Majority Rules game show. For the first time ever I reprimanded someone else’s kid. I never do this. I’m of the mind that if you have an issue with my kid, take it up with me. Unfortunately, this kid appeared to have no adults in the vicinity. Or at least none that owned up to him. He was literally disrupting the entire game - honestly, the cruise staff should have said something. They didn’t. So I did. I told him (nicely) to go sit down. At least 20 people behind me gave me a cheer. #sorrynotsorry

• Like 11

17 hours ago, anotterchaos said:

Following with interest just to get the cruise vibe going, as I’ll be getting on after you get off!  I’m wondering if my cruise (Seattle/AK roundtrip) will be as filled with children, as Spring Break is over for most, and it’s a bit longer cruise.  Also I’m wondering if anywhere will offer a Painkiller…it was a special on the Broadway cruise I did last year on Gem, but I’m not sure if it was specific to that cruise.  But anything with fruit & rum and I’ll be happy. 

BTW Magic Castle is members only and is (or used to be) verrrry exclusive.  I remember my parents getting an invite from a member in the 70s, and one dressed up for it (of course this was the era when one dragged out one’s fur & gown to go to Las Vegas). 

Painkiller is my go to boat drink! The Vibe sundeck kept me well hydrated with it last spring. If for some reason they don't know, it's 4 part pineapple, 1 part oj, 1-2 part coconut cream and 2-4 parts Pussars or similar, garnish with nutmeg. Adjust the juice ratio down or rum up to kill pain more quickly. The name is trademarked by Pussars so they're often listed under other names. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

For dessert, of course, we had to do chocolate lava cake. As someone who LOVES chocolate but hates strawberries, I get really sad when chocolate goodness is paired with strawberry nastiness. I loved the lava cake. The strawberries not so much!

IMG_2499.jpeg

IMG_2500.jpeg

As not a fan of strawberries, I always ask for no strawberries.

• Like 1

Jersey Boys

I can’t even. Musical theatre is my life. For as long as I can remember, all I have ever wanted to do was sing and dance in stage. The flaw in my plan is that I suck at both singing and dancing. I compensated and my work revolves around the behind the scenes stuff of theatre. But I still live for this stuff!

I have seen Jersey Boys 7 times now. Each time is a little different. Tonight had the same lead as I saw my first time and he is fantastic. I laughed. I clapped. I cheered. I woo wooed. I cried. I cried hard. So many emotions. 

You know you succeeded as a parent when you have a 12 year old boy that not only wants to see a musical for the 7th time, but knows every word of every song from it! Sadly, he left after the show and didn’t join me for the 80s stuff hat he also was raised on.

IMG_2508.jpeg

IMG_2509.jpeg

IMG_2510.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Jersey Boys

I can’t even. Musical theatre is my life……..

I have seen Jersey Boys 7 times now. Each time is a little different. Tonight had the same lead as I saw my first time and he is fantastic. I laughed. I clapped. I cheered. I woo wooed. I cried. I cried hard. So many emotions.

Did you book show tickets as soon as you boarded? Is there a room you go to sign up for the shows as there is on some ships? I really don’t want to miss out when we go in May -so want to be prepared and ready!! Any suggestions? We are Sapphire Lattitudes status so wonder if I can book through concierge.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Did you book show tickets as soon as you boarded? Is there a room you go to sign up for the shows as there is on some ships? I really don’t want to miss out when we go in May -so want to be prepared and ready!! Any suggestions? We are Sapphire Lattitudes status so wonder if I can book through concierge.

You should be able to book 120-130 days out. Earlier in the week seems more popular

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

American Diner also had a 30 minute wait and we were given a pager. I went down one deck to the bar and never even got to order before being summoned by the vibrator gods(see what I did there?). I’m sensing a theme..,wait time is not real!

Did you name the pager Bob?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6