Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses into Patapsco River in Baltimore after vessel crashes into support column

"The entire bridge collapsed into the Patapsco River," said Kevin Cartwright , the director of communications for the Baltimore Fire Department.

• Like 1

I mean, it is gone.  Completely gone!

There are people in the water from cars and trucks on the Bridge.  Search and rescue is underway.

Pray for all those in peril.  Been over it and under it many times.  Hit by a cargo ship.  Once rescue and recovery efforts are completed, this will have a horrific effect on both marine and any traffic traveling north and south on 95 that carries hazardous material (truck or cars and campers that have propane) because all is prohibited on tunnels near Baltimore.  Terrible 

• Like 12

Watched the video, just wow.  If it were daytime there would have been a ton more vehicles on bridge.  New report says they are lookinf for between 7 and 20 people

• Like 6

Just now, jerseyjjs said:

The one that killed 2 engineers on the Nieuw Amsterdam while it was anchored off Half Moon Cay on Friday.

Never saw anything on it.  Thanks

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sounds like case of bad navigation on the part of the bridge crew of the cargo ship (just a preliminary thought and the investigation should shed more light on the cause). I couldn't believe my eyes when I read and watched the news about it this morning. Pray for everyone, indeed.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Thanks 1

I live in Baltimore and have cruised on the Pride and Legend many, many times.  This is absolutely horrible but also bad for cruises and the Port of Baltimore.  The cruise terminal and port are on the harbor side of that bridge, so no ships will be able to come in and out.  Many, many jobs and our local economy are going to be affected 😞 

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Sounds like case of bad navigation on the part of the bridge crew of the cargo ship (just a preliminary thought and the investigation should shed more light on the cause). I couldn't believe my eyes when I read and watched the news about it this morning. Pray for everyone, indeed.

Not even close to going through the ship pass thru, almost a dead on hit to the north main support.  I could not even guess how long it will affect cruising from Baltimore Cruise Port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iamsteph said:

I live in Baltimore and have cruised on the Pride and Legend many, many times.  This is absolutely horrible but also bad for cruises and the Port of Baltimore.  The cruise terminal and port are on the harbor side of that bridge, so no ships will be able to come in and out.  Many, many jobs and our local economy are going to be affected 😞 

To be sure.

8 minutes ago, iamsteph said:

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not even close to going through the ship pass thru, almost a dead on hit to the north main support.  I could not even guess how long it will affect cruising from Baltimore Cruise Port.

I am going to speculate that the powers that be will prioritize opening the waterway as soon as possible. That will take some time to be sure, but cruising isn't the only thing affected by a shut down of that harbor and I don't think it will be shut down as long as many of us are imagining. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, pohlerbear said:

I’ve seen video where the ship appears to lose power before it hits the bridge. Early reporting is they lost ability to control the ship. So tragic. 

Just saw that as well

• Like 1

Prayers to all the people on the bridge when it went down.  

What to do about those that are on the Pride and other cruise ships that go in and out of Baltimore?  My guess is debark in either Philidelpha or Norfolk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I am going to speculate that the powers that be will prioritize opening the waterway as soon as possible. That will take some time to be sure, but cruising isn't the only thing affected by a shut down of that harbor and I don't think it will be shut down as long as many of us are imagining. 

Hope so….  Agree there are many things affected.

• Like 2