Puerto Rico

I was just reading that Puerto Rico has declared a public health emergency due to a rise in dengue fever cases (500 cases). Any thoughts about what Carnival's response will be (if any) for ships calling in San Juan? We'll scheduled to be there in April on Mardi Gras.

They've had recommendations to wear bug spray (I believe specifically spelling out to wear DEET) in the FunTimes for as long as I can remember.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

They've had recommendations to wear bug spray (I believe specifically spelling out to wear DEET) in the FunTimes for as long as I can remember.

Yep, always a good precaution. I expect that it will be business as usual unless cases really get out of hand. My travel companions are more worried about it than I am. We've cancelled our shore excursion for San Juan and will stay onboard. 

Just now, sparks1093 said:

Yep, always a good precaution. I expect that it will be business as usual unless cases really get out of hand. My travel companions are more worried about it than I am. We've cancelled our shore excursion for San Juan and will stay onboard. 

We all have to do what we're comfortable with. I wouldn't expect Carnival to react other than to perhaps make these insect repellent advisories a little more visible. The cruise director will probably emphasize the need for insect repellant in the fun ashore talk. Things like that.

I am sure that folks who've been to San Juan many times will be more likely to just stay onboard. Me, I'd just wear some bug spray because I've only been there twice.

• Like 1

We're scheduled to be there the end of May.  We only plan to stay in the city.  I'm hoping this will minimize our exposure.  I hate the thought of using DEET.  I know there are other repellents out there, but not as effective.   Also, I am one of the lucky few, mosquitoes don't like my blood.  I can be with several people and I will be the only one not getting bit.

• Like 1

I was in San Juan last week.  Took a Carnival excursion.  So far as I know, we were not warned about anything. [But I did not go to any port or excursion talks.]  I did not hear/feel any mosquitos.  Unlike Butterbean, I will get bitten!  But we were on the Old San Juan/New San Juan city tour and did not do any jungle visits.  And the ship left San Juan around 5:00 p.m., long before the mosquitos come out to feed.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mz-s said:

We all have to do what we're comfortable with. I wouldn't expect Carnival to react other than to perhaps make these insect repellent advisories a little more visible. The cruise director will probably emphasize the need for insect repellant in the fun ashore talk. Things like that.

I am sure that folks who've been to San Juan many times will be more likely to just stay onboard. Me, I'd just wear some bug spray because I've only been there twice.

I'm in the same camp that they will still go unless the number of cases really goes up, they'll make the announcements more prevalent, etc. I would go if it were just me, but since I'm traveling in a group I gotta go with with the flow.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Remember sunscreen always goes on first, then the insect repellent with DEET.  If you go the other way, DEET can decrease sunscreen's effectiveness and the sunscreen will block the 'vapor barrier' from the DEET, thus reducing it's ability to repel the mosquitos.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Remember sunscreen always goes on first, then the insect repellent with DEET.  If you go the other way, DEET can decrease sunscreen's effectiveness and the sunscreen will block the 'vapor barrier' from the DEET, thus reducing it's ability to repel the mosquitos.

The Devil's in the DEETails.

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5