Alaskan king crab

Toad

I have not seen King Crab on any menu including Pinnacle in a long time.  Most recently the Pinnacle had crab legs (not King) for an up charge but even that was prior to shutdown.   Rudi’s which is no longer onboard, at one time had King Crab.   Your best bet is to find them shoreside depending on your cruise destination.  

27 minutes ago, Toad said:

Is this ever served in any restaurant on HAL anymore. It is Dh birthday when we are cruising and that is his favorite.

IIRC, the king crab is not available anywhere due to a decimation of their numbers. The crab season was closed last year, not sure how they're doing this year. Other varieties of crab may be available, though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gigi1977 said:

I have not seen King Crab on any menu including Pinnacle in a long time.  Most recently the Pinnacle had crab legs (not King) for an up charge but even that was prior to shutdown.   Rudi’s which is no longer onboard, at one time had King Crab.   Your best bet is to find them shoreside depending on your cruise destination.  

I am curious what they are doing with the Rudi's space on the Konigsdam since we are sailing her next year.  

Go with the Dungeness crab, We had King Crab in Alaska, we have also had it here at home. Strangely the crab we had here was better than Alaska, We prefer the Dungeness.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

I am curious what they are doing with the Rudi's space on the Konigsdam since we are sailing her next year.  

Rudi's is still taking reservations for my Apr 27, 2024 Alaska cruise.  I will will investigate Rudi's future in a few more weeks.  Maybe even create a live thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

It is my understanding that the small amount of King Crab available is from Russia.  Enough said.

I would suspect it comes from Norway. The US has banned seafood imports from Russia, including King Crab.

• Like 2

I had King Crab on an Alaska cruise on Koningsdam 9/2/23 sailing last year, I believe I was in the Orange Club and paid extra for the Alaskan special dish that included clam chowder.  The dish was excellent and crab legs were cut easy to eat.  It was probably also offered in the main dinning room and the prices was $25 or $35.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Crew News said:

Rudi's is still taking reservations for my Apr 27, 2024 Alaska cruise.  I will will investigate Rudi's future in a few more weeks.  Maybe even create a live thread.

Rudi’s is listed on our August 24th Northern Lights cruise. It’s still listed on HAL website. https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/onboard-experiences/dining/sel-de-mer notes King Crab Meat on the menu.

Edited by 2inSETexas
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, CNSJ said:

It is my understanding that the small amount of King Crab available is from Russia.  Enough said.

Chile and Argentina have sizable King Crab fisheries. We had excellent King Crab recently in Puerto Natales Chile and Ushuaia Argentina.  Ushuaia is on many South American cruise itineraries. I thought the taste was as good or better than Alaskan KC.

They also have local KC in Norway, but the price makes Alaskan KC seem like a bargain.

Edited by Mercruiser

Somehow I don’t think my Dh will find “chicken of the sea” to be an excellent alternative birthday dinner….. but I am sure with a ship full of choices he might find something. Maybe I should have picked a South American cruise, rather than the North Atlantic.

Posted (edited)

On the Volendam, Tales of the South Pacific, 11/20/23 (my birthday) the Lido had a seafood extravaganza. I believe this was King Crab. If it wasn’t it sure tasted the same. 😁 This was seriously the most amazing buffet I have seen in 20 years of cruising. 
Denise

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg

Edited by dchip
  • Like 5

On 3/30/2024 at 8:02 PM, RedIguana said:

I would suspect it comes from Norway. The US has banned seafood imports from Russia, including King Crab.

As of Valentine's Day 2024 HA still stocked Russian caviar.   This time I asked to see the jar before ordering.  This was the Eurodam.  I have seen others posting caviar and the lid definitely didn't say RUSS.   Needless to say I passed.   

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

View Chicken of the Sea Imitation

I see in your signature that you have a Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise in 2025. You will have to let us know how the Ushuaia KC compares to Chicken of the Sea. 😁

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:02 PM, RedIguana said:

costco sells russia caught crab so is other fish dept here in FL