Cabins with issues?

Pigin

Having recently finished a VO cruise, it occurred to me that the next person into the cabin we had may not be aware of the issues that had previously been reported.

I will set the ball rolling with….

Viking Star 4055

Toilet backfills mainly overnight, mega disgusting, mega smelly. Hygiene issue.

Excessive noise.  We accept some creaks and groans and normal but this is excessive and makes for a VERY disturbed sleep.

5 hours ago, Pigin said:

Having recently finished a VO cruise, it occurred to me that the next person into the cabin we had may not be aware of the issues that had previously been reported.

I will set the ball rolling with….

Viking Star 4055

Toilet backfills mainly overnight, mega disgusting, mega smelly. Hygiene issue.

Excessive noise.  We accept some creaks and groans and normal but this is excessive and makes for a VERY disturbed sleep.

Wondering if you asked for a cabin change, and if so, what was response and resolution ?

@FetaCheese, sorry but the topic is about trying to "assist " the next person in a cabin so that they may use the comment in any further such issues.  Moving to a different cabin is a whole new topic should you wish to start it. Going off topic so soon is bound to render the topic fruitless 🥴.  I would have loved to have known if the problems had been reported previously. 

Posted (edited)

Not trying to start a new topic here but we had a similar problem several years ago on a VO cruise and we reported it to our room steward. Maintenance tried to fix the problem without success and we were immediately moved to another cabin the next day. Maybe because they had a cabin that was empty in the same category. The problem had been reported by a previous passenger and apparently it wasn't an easy fix. Our room steward was aware of the problem before we arrived.

Edited by Insanityx4

On our recent (Nov 23, 10-night Caribbean) we had similar toilet issues in our cabin immediately after boarding.  We reported to Viking and the issue was halfway fixed - for the majority of the cruise.  We still had to mention this to the cabin stewards a couple times during the cruise as it'd have minor flushing issues.  But before the 10th night, it got really bad and gross.  I told the Viking rep that if not fixed before dinner was over, that I expected to be moved into another room as we weren't sleeping with the stench.  The customer service rep really made me mad as she kept wanting to explain how the toilets work and what you can and can't flush.  I informed her we'd been on numerous Viking cruises and never had such a problem and that after 9 days of dealing with this issue I don't care about their excuses.  All I care about is them getting their problem fixed.  Magically, after I was rude to the customer service rep, the toilet was completely fixed.  I guess the moral of the story is to be rude sooner rather than later.

I haven't mentioned this on the forum yet as I thought my issue may have been a one-off occurrence but how they handled the issue is one of the reasons we're trying out a couple other lines this year.

• Like 1

I'm really surprised to hear that. Customer Service has always bent over backwards to solve any issues we have ever had on any of our cruises with Viking. The best service we have ever encountered out of all the cruise lines we have sailed with. Sounds like you got a rep who should not be working for Viking.

52 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

I'm really surprised to hear that. Customer Service has always bent over backwards to solve any issues we have ever had on any of our cruises with Viking. The best service we have ever encountered out of all the cruise lines we have sailed with. Sounds like you got a rep who should not be working for Viking.

That's what I thought also and honestly why I didn't post anything about this prior.  But just in this thread two other folks with similar source issues. 

I think the last rep was certainly underwhelming, but my thought is several adjoining cabins were having similar problems due to where we regularly saw maintenance workers.  They likely were having difficulties determining the origin of the issue.  But again, that was up to Viking to remedy.

My point is that Viking customer service is the best once you are on the ship. Sound's like you got a bad apple once aboard. However most Viking reps before the cruise are clueless and totally unhelpful.

18 hours ago, Pigin said:

@FetaCheese, sorry but the topic is about trying to "assist " the next person in a cabin so that they may use the comment in any further such issues.  Moving to a different cabin is a whole new topic should you wish to start it. Going off topic so soon is bound to render the topic fruitless 🥴.  I would have loved to have known if the problems had been reported previously. 

This thread was a noble experiment, but doomed to failure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it's an excellent idea to have a topic dedicated to cabin information, both good and bad. For example Celebrity board has a topic and comprehensive spreadsheet where one can check on mostly every cabin, especially because cabin reviews are no longer available.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, sk99 said:

I think it's an excellent idea to have a topic dedicated to cabin information, both good and bad. For example Celebrity board has a topic and comprehensive spreadsheet where one can check on mostly every cabin, especially because cabin reviews are no longer available.

Depending on the scale of things a spreadsheet would be the way to go. Time permitting I would be amenable to doing such. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:13 PM, Insanityx4 said:

I am also surprised!

Sounds like the OP is saying you have be "Rude" to get anywhere with the onboard Viking people.  We've had our share of issues and NEVER encountered that.  I always approached Viking with a smile, being courteous and polite, but firm and stating things in a business and facts sort of way.  I've always had good responses and fixes to the issues without ever having to be "rude".  

Perhaps you had a very isolated incident.  I haven't hear the need to be rude so much.  Certainly many passengers are rude onboard to the Viking people, but Viking staff seems to handle it well.  We always say that to work on Viking you must have thick skin!!

6 hours ago, Pigin said:

Depending on the scale of things a spreadsheet would be the way to go. Time permitting I would be amenable to doing such. 

If you're kind enough to take this on, here is a potential model from the RSSC board. You may wish to ask the OP for permission to filch it 🍺🥌

18 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

This topic has definitely gone off course but is getting interesting!

I like the way it is going😉. Here is a Celebrity link sample:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lYvbGYBf2WB3jSFTVuliFltauVnhdqfheWJTeFujSbs/htmlview#gid=1676706228

What is also great is that cabin topic is a sticky, so you do not have to search for it:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I am also surprised!

Sounds like the OP is saying you have be "Rude" to get anywhere with the onboard Viking people.  We've had our share of issues and NEVER encountered that.  I always approached Viking with a smile, being courteous and polite, but firm and stating things in a business and facts sort of way.  I've always had good responses and fixes to the issues without ever having to be "rude".  

Perhaps you had a very isolated incident.  I haven't hear the need to be rude so much.  Certainly many passengers are rude onboard to the Viking people, but Viking staff seems to handle it well.  We always say that to work on Viking you must have thick skin!!

Rude, really!!!

What I, the OP, is saying is that I left a cabin that I believe has ongoing issues that I am willing to point out. 

I am not offering advice on how to deal with situations, it’s an adult cruise after all.  What I’m not doing is voicing presumptions.  That would be rude 😂.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:57 PM, mwike said:

All I care about is them getting their problem fixed.  Magically, after I was rude to the customer service rep, the toilet was completely fixed.  I guess the moral of the story is to be rude sooner rather than later.

This was the comment about being rude.

9 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

This was the comment about being rude.

Exactly, not the OP.  

And I certainly want to be clear.  We've been on many Viking cruises before, and any issue has been remedied timely and completely by Viking.  And the norm is to have zero issues that need to be addressed.

This time was completely different (the issue and the response by Viking).  We probably communicated to someone at Viking 4 times before it was actually resolved, and it took me getting really annoyed with the rep before the issue was truly remedied.  Coincidence vs causation???  

11 hours ago, Pigin said:

Rude, really!!!

What I, the OP, is saying is that I left a cabin that I believe has ongoing issues that I am willing to point out. 

I am not offering advice on how to deal with situations, it’s an adult cruise after all.  What I’m not doing is voicing presumptions.  That would be rude 😂.

Pigin -

my apologies!  I mistakenly should have looked more carefully as I see you were not the person who said they didn't get action until they got rude.  So sorry!

• Like 2

We also had this problem (toilet filled with foul water) on one occasion overnight on our recent 3 week long cruise. We immediately flushed and it resolved itself but we also reported it. An engineer was outside our room within quarter of an hour and the problem didn’t recur. I was pleased with the way they responded. 

• Like 1

Speaking of cabins with issues, can someone post which PVs have the door to balcony instead of the sliding glass door? From previous comments, evidently guests are frequently surprised, and often disappointed, with this type of cabin.

Is it exactly the same on every VO ship?

I believe this has been discussed before but this might be a nice place to add this info.

• Like 1