Four night cruise to Rotterdam on Aurora 28th March- 1st April

Thought I’d do a write up of our cruise. Our first time on Aurora and my 11th cruise.

We went down the night before to Southampton and stayed at the Hilton with a view over the cricket ground. Lovely room, fab view over the cricket ground but the pillows were very uncomfortable.

Good breakfast on the Thursday morning and we sat in the bar til 11am (with coffee!)before making our way to Mayflower terminal. We pulled up exactly at our embarkation time of 12.45am but we had to sit in our car for quite a while to wait for CPS.

I was a bit anxious that we could see long queues outside the terminal already but as we reached the building I could see a sign saying to wait if we were early so by now it was nearly 1-15 so we quickly went in as we could hear them call out that if your time was 2pm or earlier you could go in!

Anyway we snaked round, constantly moving, were checked in, and through security and on the ship by about 1.30. We went to our muster station and a call went out that the cabins were ready. We were in a sea view on E deck and when we got there our cases were already there! The benefit of a smaller ship! I took a photo of our cabin and the time on it says 1-42pm.

we dragged the cases in and went up to the buffet for lunch. It was busy but bearable and we got a table with no trouble.

We then went to look at the Crows nest and I was very taken by the big wing chairs in front of the big windows. After unpacking we settled down for sail away which was about 4-45pm.

Dinner was pre booked for the Beach House at 7pm. We enjoyed that and it was quite fun watching everyone staggering about because it was quite choppy. The show by the theatre company was cancelled that night due to the weather. I was absolutely fine but John was feeling a bit green so we retired early to our cabin.

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0341.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

The next day we woke to calm seas. We were due into Rotterdam about 3pm.

We had breakfast in the buffet about 8.45 and was very pleased to see the omelette station. Not too busy at that time.

We had a walk around the Prom deck. Then went to the coffee shop Raffles and ended up in the Crows nest for lovely views as we sailed into Rotterdam, takes about two hours to transit through. Lovely and sunny and it felt very warm with the sun pouring through the glass. I did a lot of reading. 

We then had lunch in the Glasshouse, we had the three small plates. I had a glass of the Money Spider which was lovely.

We went up to Prom deck to watch us dock. We waited a good half hour before we ventured out but there was a big queue in front of us! We crossed the Erasmus bridge and got lovely views of Aurora docked.

I’ll leave the rest of the day for now as it was a bit fraught!

IMG_0493.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

• Like 19

16 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thought I’d do a write up of our cruise. Our first time on Aurora and my 11th cruise.

We went down the night before to Southampton and stayed at the Hilton with a view over the cricket ground. Lovely room, fab view over the cricket ground but the pillows were very uncomfortable.

Good breakfast on the Thursday morning and we sat in the bar til 11am (with coffee!)before making our way to Mayflower terminal. We pulled up exactly at our embarkation time of 12.45am but we had to sit in our car for quite a while to wait for CPS.

I was a bit anxious that we could see long queues outside the terminal already but as we reached the building I could see a sign saying to wait if we were early so by now it was nearly 1-15 so we quickly went in as we could hear them call out that if your time was 2pm or earlier you could go in!

Anyway we snaked round, constantly moving, were checked in, and through security and on the ship by about 1.30. We went to our muster station and a call went out that the cabins were ready. We were in a sea view on E deck and when we got there our cases were already there! The benefit of a smaller ship! I took a photo of our cabin and the time on it says 1-42pm.

we dragged the cases in and went up to the buffet for lunch. It was busy but bearable and we got a table with no trouble.

We then went to look at the Crows nest and I was very taken by the big wing chairs in front of the big windows. After unpacking we settled down for sail away which was about 4-45pm.

Dinner was pre booked for the Beach House at 7pm. We enjoyed that and it was quite fun watching everyone staggering about because it was quite choppy. The show by the theatre company was cancelled that night due to the weather. I was absolutely fine but John was feeling a bit green so we retired early to our cabin.

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0353.mov

IMG_0341.jpeg

Nice photos Sue.

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Loving the write up Sue. I’ve stayed in the outside E deck cabins a few times and always found it a comfortable, quiet and stable cabin to be in.

x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so we left Aurora about 3.30 and headed over the bridge and found the Cube Houses and the Market Hall. We didn’t go into the cube house that’s open as it’s very steep steps and John’s knee isn’t good! Plus being Good Friday it was very busy.

We looked around the Market Hall which is an amazing building with art work on the ceiling (pic below) We had a very nice ice cream and found toilets (cost 1euro but it did take cards)

Then - the trouble started! We got lost getting back to the ship - I was sure it was one way but John took us a different way! He kept looking at maps on his phone and every time he looked it said 30 minutes! We’d look again 15 minutes later and it still said 30 minutes!! When we finally saw the Erasmus bridge I nearly cried with relief! My phone said I’d done 22,000 steps! My poor feet and calves! I was beginning to think I’d have to phone the ship and ask someone to come and get us 😂

We crashed onto the bed when we got back but not for long as we wanted to get to the MDR early. It was already 6.30pm. We got changed and went to dinner, we managed to get a table for two but not by the window! 

After dinner which was fine we went to see the Celtic Harps in Carmens. John wasn’t that impressed, it was mostly Irish songs and they had good voices. 

Then we had a little walk on Prom deck for photos and a Passionfruit Martini in the Crows Nest before retiring for the night.

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0445.jpeg

IMG_0446.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0475.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ok, so we left Aurora about 3.30 and headed over the bridge and found the Cube Houses and the Market Hall. We didn’t go into the cube house that’s open as it’s very steep steps and John’s knee isn’t good! Plus being Good Friday it was very busy.

We looked around the Market Hall which is an amazing building with art work on the ceiling (pic below) We had a very nice ice cream and found toilets (cost 1euro but it did take cards)

Then - the trouble started! We got lost getting back to the ship - I was sure it was one way but John took us a different way! He kept looking at maps on his phone and every time he looked it said 30 minutes! We’d look again 15 minutes later and it still said 30 minutes!! When we finally saw the Erasmus bridge I nearly cried with relief! My phone said I’d done 22,000 steps! My poor feet and calves! I was beginning to think I’d have to phone the ship and ask someone to come and get us 😂

We crashed onto the bed when we got back but not for long as we wanted to get to the MDR early. It was already 6.30pm. We got changed and went to dinner, we managed to get a table for two but not by the window! 

After dinner which was fine we went to see the Celtic Harps in Carmens. John wasn’t that impressed, it was mostly Irish songs and they had good voices. 

Then we had a little walk on Prom deck for photos and a Passionfruit Martini in the Crows Nest before retiring for the night.

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0445.jpeg

IMG_0446.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

IMG_0449.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

IMG_0475.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

Great photos Sue.

Wow that was some steps you did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Saturday was a whole day in Rotterdam. Unfortunately the weather was very dreary and rainy.
After breakfast in the buffet I went to the cinema onboard for the 10.30am showing  of ‘The Book Club’ Part 2. I hadn’t seen Part one but I didn’t need to. It’s about four American women of a certain age who go to Italy and all sorts of adventures happen. It was an enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half! John wasn’t interested so he went to Raffles for coffee and then back to the cabin.

There were about 16 of us in the cinema, mostly women! I do like a proper cinema on a ship.

We then had lunch and went and sat in the fabulous Crows Nest. I read my kindle but I also just sat and watched the busy river. The water taxis are mad, they zip about so quickly. The rain came down and although I did want to go up the Euromast I’m not sure the views would have been that great in the weather. Also the easiest way to get there seems to use the water taxi but they did go very fast! 

I can’t believe I’m writing this but we stayed on board all day! Every time we thought we’d get off the rain came down plus my legs still ached!

Formal night or ‘ Celebration night’ as it’s called now as we left Rotterdam.

We got seated in the MDR - again not by the window! The menu looked uninspiring at first but we did enjoy the food. My main was the beef with garlic prawns.

We then went to the theatre for the first time - big size for the size of the ship. It was the Headliners with ‘Applause’ which is one we haven’t seen before. So pleased we went - it was very good. Three of the lads and the lady who took the main parts were really good. They got a very good reception and loud applause. Two of the men did splits in the air and the cruise director said we could see why they had to cancel the first night show. They finished with a medley from Les Mis, always enjoyable for me! 

And that was another day over… The video is one of the water taxis. Amazing sunset over the Euromast.

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Finally Easter Sunday which was a sea day slowing sailing back to Southampton. 

It looked much brighter today so we went for a few laps round the prom deck. We looked round the few shops on board.

We realised it was warming up and found some sun beds. It was a sun trap on deck and was very warm. I was sad I hadn’t packed lighter trousers but happy I’d remembered the sun cream! We had quite a chat with a group of women and a couple who weren’t regular cruisers but seemed to be enjoying the cruise.

We then went into the buffet for lunch, we always found a table there.

We then had to head to the pub as Liverpool were playing, I’m glad we were the 2pm game and not the later one. We got settled about half an hour before and it was nearly full. Five minutes before kick off the signal went off! 😞 About 10 minutes into the match one of the passengers fixed it! 😂 so we missed Brighton’s early goal but happily we won 2-1.

We then went and packed (boo!) and decided we’d have our final meal in the Glasshouse. Everytime we’d looked at the app/non app it said ‘queue full’ but when we had lunch there we just walked up and got straight in! 
Anyway off we went to the Glasshouse and heard the guy tell the people at the front of the queue they had to join the queue! They must open it just before the evening session. So John got his phone out in the queue and we joined at no 12 or 13. We got to him and showed him we were in the queue so we sat and had some wine while we waited. 

We decided to wait in the chairs just outside the Glasshouse but it was rather frustrating as we could see many empty tables and they weren’t calling people. Five minutes after we sat down we heard the guy at the podium telling people it was full! So we were lucky. It was about an hour and a half before we got in though! Anyway I had the fish and chips which were very nice and John had the fish stew.

I then dragged John to see the Celtic Harps at the 10.30 show, as I expected they were better in the theatre, it wasn’t that full at the late show but everyone seemed to enjoy it and even John was joining in with the clapping! 

So to bed for the last time. Monday morning we were up at 6am, off the ship and in our car by 7.50am and home at 10.10. A lovely break and I do love a tiered aft 😁 

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Finally Easter Sunday which was a sea day slowing sailing back to Southampton. 

It looked much brighter today so we went for a few laps round the prom deck. We looked round the few shops on board.

We realised it was warming up and found some sun beds. It was a sun trap on deck and was very warm. I was sad I hadn’t packed lighter trousers but happy I’d remembered the sun cream! We had quite a chat with a group of women and a couple who weren’t regular cruisers but seemed to be enjoying the cruise.

We then went into the buffet for lunch, we always found a table there.

We then had to head to the pub as Liverpool were playing, I’m glad we were the 2pm game and not the later one. We got settled about half an hour before and it was nearly full. Five minutes before kick off the signal went off! 😞 About 10 minutes into the match one of the passengers fixed it! 😂 so we missed Brighton’s early goal but happily we won 2-1.

We then went and packed (boo!) and decided we’d have our final meal in the Glasshouse. Everytime we’d looked at the app/non app it said ‘queue full’ but when we had lunch there we just walked up and got straight in! 
Anyway off we went to the Glasshouse and heard the guy tell the people at the front of the queue they had to join the queue! They must open it just before the evening session. So John got his phone out in the queue and we joined at no 12 or 13. We got to him and showed him we were in the queue so we sat and had some wine while we waited. 

We decided to wait in the chairs just outside the Glasshouse but it was rather frustrating as we could see many empty tables and they weren’t calling people. Five minutes after we sat down we heard the guy at the podium telling people it was full! So we were lucky. It was about an hour and a half before we got in though! Anyway I had the fish and chips which were very nice and John had the fish stew.

I then dragged John to see the Celtic Harps at the 10.30 show, as I expected they were better in the theatre, it wasn’t that full at the late show but everyone seemed to enjoy it and even John was joining in with the clapping! 

So to bed for the last time. Monday morning we were up at 6am, off the ship and in our car by 7.50am and home at 10.10. A lovely break and I do love a tiered aft 😁 

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

Thank you for your review Sue.

Lovely photos of your cruise and of yourselves.

I'm pleased you had a great time and had an easy debarkation and drive home.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your review Sue.

Lovely photos of your cruise and of yourselves.

I'm pleased you had a great time and had an easy debarkation and drive home.

Graham.

Thank you Graham, I hadn’t intended to write so much 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kalos said:

Great photo's Sue and glad to read you had a great time away.

Time to plan the next one now 🙂 Take Care .

We already have a week booked in June 🤭

• Like 6

Great review and pictures Sue, thank you so much for sharing.

Aurura is the ship we haven’t been on yet (plus Arvia but we don’t fancy that one) so it’s good to get honest reviews before we try x

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dobbers said:

Great review and pictures Sue, thank you so much for sharing.

Aurura is the ship we haven’t been on yet (plus Arvia but we don’t fancy that one) so it’s good to get honest reviews before we try x

It was our first time on her! She is most like Oriana if you’ve been on her.

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

It was our first time on her! She is most like Oriana if you’ve been on her.

We loved Oriana so that’s good to know thanks x

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I’m glad you had a good time 😊 Where are you off to next? 

Thank you Sarah, just a week to Northern Spain and Cherbourg. Two ports are new to us and La Coruna we have been to before but went to Santiago so that’s like a new port too!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you Sarah, just a week to Northern Spain and Cherbourg. Two ports are new to us and La Coruna we have been to before but went to Santiago so that’s like a new port too!

Sounds lovely, I think that’s one I looked at before booking our Norway one. You might be getting on Britannia as we’re getting off? We disembark on Friday 7th June. 

9 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Sounds lovely, I think that’s one I looked at before booking our Norway one. You might be getting on Britannia as we’re getting off? We disembark on Friday 7th June. 

Ours is the one after, they’re identical itineraries though! I want to do Norway again but John wanted warmth!

• Like 1