Summit - What a rust bucket!

kd1224

Currently sailing on the Summit 5 day from MIA that left Monday April 1.  We are a family of 11 sailing in 4 separate cabins on deck 7.  

I won’t bore you with the minor, but numerous issues encountered Monday and Tuesday, but yesterday there were 2 blackouts for over an hour each time.  The first occurred at around 4:30.  We were in our cabin and lost lights, TV, AC and internet.  The captain made an announcement and told us “don’t worry I am here with you”. ?did he think we assumed he had abandoned ship?

Power was restored in a little less than a hour, but the second blackout happened at 6 PM when we were in the martini bar.  Lots of commotion everywhere and soon they had to stop serving drinks because there was no clean water to wash glasses. If you had a glass and were willing to use the same dirty glass, you could get refills, but nothing that needed a shaker or any utensils in the preparation.  Again, only aux lights, no AC,etc.   However, it was interesting that the registers still worked to swipe cards for refillls.  Power restored around 7 I think.

Suffice it to say that there were a lot of very agitated people making their thoughts known.

Now, this evening sometime before 5 PM on Chic night, there’s a main water line issue so there’s no running water anywhere except decks 2 and 3.  

Our cabin steward reported “it’s an environmental issue”.  The front desk has zero information except to say they are aware and working on it. Almost an hour later have yet to hear from the captain. Hopefully he didn’t abandon ship this time…..🙄

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Wow! Different stories are being told about the two power outages. Over on a different site, passengers onboard posted that each power outage was less than 15 minutes, yet you experienced it for two+ hours! 
They have also posted that the 2nd outage was to done to take the ship off its generators and put it back online to its normal power sources.

Hopefully you can find some joy on the ‘rust bucket’ for the rest of your cruise

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, kd1224 said:

Currently sailing on the Summit 5 day from MIA that left Monday April 1.  We are a family of 11 sailing in 4 separate cabins on deck 7.  

I won’t bore you with the minor, but numerous issues encountered Monday and Tuesday, but yesterday there were 2 blackouts for over an hour each time.  The first occurred at around 4:30.  We were in our cabin and lost lights, TV, AC and internet.  The captain made an announcement and told us “don’t worry I am here with you”. ?did he think we assumed he had abandoned ship?

Power was restored in a little less than a hour, but the second blackout happened at 6 PM when we were in the martini bar.  Lots of commotion everywhere and soon they had to stop serving drinks because there was no clean water to wash glasses. If you had a glass and were willing to use the same dirty glass, you could get refills, but nothing that needed a shaker or any utensils in the preparation.  Again, only aux lights, no AC,etc.   However, it was interesting that the registers still worked to swipe cards for refillls.  Power restored around 7 I think.

Suffice it to say that there were a lot of very agitated people making their thoughts known.

Now, this evening sometime before 5 PM on Chic night, there’s a main water line issue so there’s no running water anywhere except decks 2 and 3.  

Our cabin steward reported “it’s an environmental issue”.  The front desk has zero information except to say they are aware and working on it. Almost an hour later have yet to hear from the captain. Hopefully he didn’t abandon ship this time…..🙄

The Captain didn't abandon you because there was a Captain on Costa Concordia that LEFT his sinking ship early and is now serving a Prison sentence for that.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, kk20 said:

Wow! Different stories are being told about the two power outages. Over on a different site, passengers onboard posted that each power outage was less than 15 minutes, yet you experienced it for two+ hours! 
They have also posted that the 2nd outage was to done to take the ship off its generators and put it back online to its normal power sources.

Hopefully you can find some joy on the ‘rust bucket’ for the rest of your cruise

Have you read this?  This seems to corroborate OP's experience. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, kk20 said:

This certainly could be the case but I think it's easy to speculate when one is sitting in the comfort of their home with working electricity, running water, and A/C.  As I am in my hot stage of life, loss of A/C for even a few minutes can feel like an eternity.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, kd1224 said:

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

This certainly could be the case but I think it's easy to speculate when one is sitting in the comfort of their home with working electricity, running water, and A/C.  As I am in my hot stage of life, loss of A/C for even a few minutes can feel like an eternity.

46 minutes ago, kd1224 said:

Certainly understand your concerns in what us apparently fairly heavy weather.  Obviously have idea what would cause a power outage, but the list is long including issues with contaminated fuel, power surges and equipment failure.

Beyond the power outages are there other problems that were caused by an older ship?  Your title suggests that things are dirty/rusty etc.

36 minutes ago, D. B. said:

The Captain didn't abandon you because there was a Captain on Costa Concordia that LEFT his sinking ship early and is now serving a Prison sentence for that.

Who is your captain?

19 minutes ago, wintrystew said:

Who is your captain?

You already asked that in your post #8 and your post #7 makes little sense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kd1224 said:

Similiar happened to us in Dec. 2023 on the Summit.  Lost power during a massive electrical storm heading back to Miami.  The lightning show in the middle of the ocean was spectacular and served as our on ship lighting.  It did cause the ship to be 2+ hours late returning to port in the a.m.  The people who took the risk and book very early return flights home, were none to happy.  The rest of us had a fantastic cruise, love the Summit, can't wait to sail her again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kd1224 said:

The smell outside on deck 4 is sewage. We’re on deck 2. I’m totally pissed at the Captain who has gone AWOL , just a random voice saying ‘we’re working on it; see you around the ship’.  My last sailing ever . Cruising is too different these days. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kk20 said:

opefully you can find some joy on the ‘rust bucket’ for the rest of your cruise

No joy lost.  Everyone is safe and these inconveniences while significant, become part of the adventure that makes memories. But Summit will never again be on our list of ships to consider.  

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Internet seems to be working.. 🙂

Last I checked the internet doesn’t need running water to work. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, D. B. said:

Gotcha.  I was not being serious.  Maybe you missed the eye roll. 🙄 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Certainly understand your concerns in what us apparently fairly heavy weather.  Obviously have idea what would cause a power outage, but the list is long including issues with contaminated fuel, power surges and equipment failure.

Beyond the power outages are there other problems that were caused by an older ship?  Your title suggests that things are dirty/rusty etc.

No weather to speak of.   Calm seas, not a drop of rain.  

With the exception of the cosmetic interiors, the ship seems poorly maintained.  The railings and deck are all sloppily splattered with paint, the outdoor furniture is hole-ridden and saggy, sails over the suite areas are dirty and stained, pool deck is worn through in multiple spots.  

Don’t get me wrong - there’s plenty of positives overall. Especially regarding the crew - amazing one and all.  But the ship itself is definitely not in the shape you would expect and based on the issues of the past few days, the situation extends beyond what the eye can see.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kd1224 said:

Thanks for sharing. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles on the Summit. As I said in the other thread, I was last on the Summit two weeks ago without experiencing any of these issues. I also found the ship to be in generally good shape, but I didn't hang out in the same places you did.

Here's hoping for a satisfactory resolution and an end to this drama. 🙏

• Like 5

11 hours ago, oatbagg1 said:

The smell outside on deck 4 is sewage. We’re on deck 2. I’m totally pissed at the Captain who has gone AWOL , just a random voice saying ‘we’re working on it; see you around the ship’.  My last sailing ever . Cruising is too different these days. 

And someone Please turn off the nasty musak in the stateroom halls. Totally unnecessary and intrusive. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, kd1224 said:

Last I checked the internet doesn’t need running water to work. 🙂

But he needs power.  I hope is stays on for the rest of the trip...hopefully things keep getting better. Luckily, I have never had issues like this on any cruise.   🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

The older ships can get a face lift but the underlying systems usually stay the same..A/C, electrical, sewer.

So far,  we won't sail on Infinity or Connie, any  more and seems now Summit.