MSC Cruise- A Complete Horror Show

Sorry to hear of your experiences, we went on our first MSC cruise on Seascape in February. We were in an inside cabin, we honestly didn't experience anything like what you did thankfully. We did have to change an excursion due to one being cancelled due to being late into Jamaica and the lady on the excursion desk was quite abrupt and rushed us but apart form that we didn't really experience any bad service. Our room attendant was very discrete and would just see him now and then in the corridor, but he would be in morning and night and the room was always clean, we did have a bit of an issue with him not leaving spare toilet rolls and on a couple of occasions he took the hand towels and didn't replace them, but nothing major.

Regarding the food, again we found it totally acceptable for mass catering and had some really lovely meals, some maybe less memorable but nothing we disliked.

I suppose regardless of price there is no excuse for bad service or manners from the staff but when it comes to the food they are at the budget end of cruising so cant really expect world class food in my opinion. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 1:24 PM, rxlowry said:

Here’s my photo of same dish in YC last week.  Two clams.  But some in sauce and not dry. Pasta was cooked fine. 

IMG_7300.jpeg

I had this dish last night in the MDR on the Seashore. I found it to be very good. It had one single clam on top, but this appears to be only for presentation. There was plenty of clams mixed up in the sauce, which was very good, pasta cooked perfect. If you have ever eaten linguine in Clam sauce, this is what it is, and except same kind of clams, ie. small pieces if diced or chopped clams. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I purposely ordered and took a picture of this same dish in the MDR on the Magnifica 3 weeks ago.  Of course I promptly forgot about it, but here it is. 

And yes, to my surprise the room was straightened out at least 3 times a day.  And while overall it was a nice cruise I will not be back on that ship - the low dining room and spa ceilings, the lack of promenade... I am planning my next cruise on the Meraviglia.  MSC is a solid brand that, hopefully, continues to stay affordable for those of us who prefer multiple vacations a year vs. one luxurious one.

image.thumb.png.8a2b3a5c5c33c0038762ab81af47dca9.png

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ZandZ said:

I purposely ordered and took a picture of this same dish in the MDR on the Magnifica 3 weeks ago.  Of course I promptly forgot about it, but here it is. 

And yes, to my surprise the room was straightened out at least 3 times a day.  And while overall it was a nice cruise I will not be back on that ship - the low dining room and spa ceilings, the lack of promenade... I am planning my next cruise on the Meraviglia.  MSC is a solid brand that, hopefully, continues to stay affordable for those of us who prefer multiple vacations a year vs. one luxurious one.

I was posting about seascape Carribean cruise. The fact your dish was better but on my ship was 1 clam, it speaks to the greater managment issues across the fleet quite honestly 

On 4/6/2024 at 12:44 PM, rikitikitavii said:

We have been on 7 MSC cruises and never had that experience. In fact, my wife and I are not messy people and tell the room steward to skip our room for the day, if he looks busy. We don’t need fresh towels daily, we hang them up to dry. We also make up the bed, just like at home. Maybe your expectations were geared more to one of the luxury cruise lines!!

Our first msc cruise last june on Meraviglia our cabin steward was not very good either. Never saw him the whole week until the last night. Room was also never vacuumed all week and towels forgotten. Not as bad as OP but geez justdo the basics and I’m happy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Our first msc cruise last june on Meraviglia our cabin steward was not very good either. Never saw him the whole week until the last night. Room was also never vacuumed all week and towels forgotten. Not as bad as OP but geez justdo the basics and I’m happy.

How do you get beyond the 2nd day without raising that sort of problem as a concern?

I remain a firm believer in calm complaints while there is a chance to fix a problem, rather than complaining afterwards...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I took my first MSC cruise from Southampton over bank weekend, 4th May. It was horrible. The main problem was the other passengers who sadly the cruise line has little control over. As a two night cruise it was literally a booze cruise. My daughter referred to it as Butlins on sea. Shouting, screaming and barely looking after their children who were running riot in the buffet, picking up stuff with their hands whilst parents did little. Buffet floor always sticky. 

My room was actually a good size for an interior but dirty with food over the dressing table, dirty towels that were allegedly clean.

Dining room food was hit and miss. The meat was more fat than meat, overly salty but at least hot. 

And people everywhere, which I know sounds strange but this is my first cruise where I felt completely hemmed in by people with the accompanying long waits for elevators. 

And to top it off they still have not released the hold on my credit card. 

I don't know whether I'll sail MSC again. I achieved a status match from carnival as gold on MSC but really didn't feel any benefits of being gold. 

1 minute ago, abbeydoo said:

"As a two night cruise it was literally a booze cruise. My daughter referred to it as Butlins on sea."

This is not uncommon for short cruises on MSC and other low-cost lines.

Typically, a better experience would be found on a 7-day (or longer) cruise. The "weekend warriors" are less likely to participate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, no1talks said:

This is not uncommon for short cruises on MSC and other low-cost lines.

Typically, a better experience would be found on a 7-day (or longer) cruise. The "weekend warriors" are less likely to participate.

We lived and learned! 

19 minutes ago, abbeydoo said:

We lived and learned! 

As much as I love Virtuosa, I can think of so many reasons I would never have booked that particular 2-nighter.

It was a UK bank holiday.

It was a weekend.

The ship is actively marketed as a family ship.

It had been advertised by both MSC direct and multiple travel agents at a heavily discounted price for some considerable time.

These short cruises on all cruise lines have always been carnage.

The whole idea of the dining bedlam is to entice passengers into the quieter, paid for specialty restaurants (which are all very good).  MSC are by no means the only ones to do this.

I do hope you give them another chance on a longer 7 night + cruise.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Skip Spring Breaks. Those are another 'mosh pit'.

Agreed!  Regardless of the cruise line!!

In my opinion, the itinerary, time of year, and length of cruise matters more than the cruise line itself.

Jim

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Notch8 said:

Agreed!  Regardless of the cruise line!!

In my opinion, the itinerary, time of year, and length of cruise matters more than the cruise line itself.

Jim

The problems experienced during Spring Break led us in 2023 to HAL with a 98 CDC score. Although sedate and lacking the bad manners, its food, entertainment and cleanliness lead to a gastrointestinal outbreak of over 270 on board (my DW included). We would have been better off on Seaside with its CDC score of 67 and its bacchanal. Then this year for Spring Break we tried Regent Grandeur, again we were dismayed with the food, lack of entertainment and no personal service anywhere near the great service we get on MSC Seaships. Next Spring Break we plan to exhaust the last vestige of hope on the Oceania Vista. The rest of the year it is back to MSC.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

47 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Next Spring Break we plan to exhaust the last vestige of hope on the Oceania Vista."

Vista, eh? I hope you've done your homework, Morpheus, because there is some controversy regarding that ship. Have a look at what G. Bembridge had to say, even though he is a huge fan of Oceania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aOXEYQXQW0

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Vista, eh? I hope you've done your homework, Morpheus, because there is some controversy regarding that ship. Have a look at what G. Bembridge had to say, even though he is a huge fan of Oceania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aOXEYQXQW0

Thanks for the 'heads up'.  The worst thing G.B. brought up about this cruise ship is the alleged 'thin' walls between cabins and being able to hear 'things'. I cannot imagine this demographic up til late hours doing anything disturbing that a couple raps on the wall with a Champagne bottle wouldn't stop immediately. Besides it may just be a delightful soiree hosted by a fellow CC poster fulfilling their dream vacation.

We booked one of the three Owners Suites at the back end and have a couple Penthouses just below and an OS above us. Nothing on either side, but ocean. But your post did have me look up the ship's deck plans to confirm our location.

Thanks again for your concern. Will keep all posted and compare with our beloved Yacht Club.

P.S. I had better watch out what I 'observe' (overhear)...I have already been accused of eavesdropping by a fellow poster.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"I have already been accused of eavesdropping by a fellow poster."

When someone hits you with the ol' J'Accuse! just make like Samwise and say you were cutting the grass under the window, er... cabana.

Samwise.gif.b39ed5f2a2e2c00cca2cdb4cc6b9fff3.gif

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"We booked one of the three Owners Suites..."

Oooh! I remember reading about those suites, while Vista was still being finished. The decor and furniture is from Ralph Lauren Home. Be sure to wear your Chaps. (The fragrance, not the leather.)

8 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Thanks for the 'heads up'.  The worst thing G.B. brought up about this cruise ship is the alleged 'thin' walls between cabins and being able to hear 'things'. I cannot imagine this demographic up til late hours doing anything disturbing that a couple raps on the wall with a Champagne bottle wouldn't stop immediately. Besides it may just be a delightful soiree hosted by a fellow CC poster fulfilling their dream vacation.

For what it's worth, I worked a couple of days on board Vista last year.   Absolutely delightful ship in all ways, engaging crew, happy passengers and beautiful ship.   Probably in my top 3 of all time favourite high end, boutique ships (and I've worked on lots, including the vast majority of the Oceania fleet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We booked one of the three Owners Suites at the back end and have a couple Penthouses just below and an OS above us. Nothing on either side, but ocean. But your post did have me look up the ship's deck plans to confirm our location.

Thanks again for your concern. Will keep all posted and compare with our beloved Yacht Club.

P.S. I had better watch out what I 'observe' (overhear)...I have already been accused of eavesdropping by a fellow poster.

I thought you left the eavesdropping to your DW…. EM

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I thought you left the eavesdropping to your DW…. EM

So true. I set up a hearing test next month, I’m just the messenger (reporter) so I take the ‘slings and arrows’. She got me involved on CC. She has been a member since 2000 with a total posts of 10. I’m the old gossip.

On 4/6/2024 at 7:49 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

I just did a cursory search on this MSC site of "Linguine Vongole" and found 8 posts and yours. Surprisingly no other pictures, one other poster agreed with you. Those others found it good or very good and one had it twice. Interestingly the ones that found it good or very good were in the Yacht Club. Thank goodness ! Must be the kitchen saves the oil and clams for those paying the most.

I have had this same dish on 4 different MSC ships -- always delicious!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 8:55 AM, ZandZ said:

For basis of comparison, here's the same dish on Virgin's Valiant Lady which was excellent!(Extra Virgin Restaurant, all restaurants included with regular fare), followed by the same dish at an outdoor plaza-restaurant in Livorno,Italy when we made a stop on the Carnival Pride. 

PXL_20230122_011416354.jpg

original_a44f86bd-57bb-4485-a180-276c0e0cd9a0_PXL_20220527_101606332 (1).jpg

Edited by kwokpot