MSC Cruise- A Complete Horror Show

14 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Unfortunately, for us, Chef Lisa is now on the Virtuosa. Will be on board the Seascape in two weeks. 

Virtuosa is currently sailing passenger-less around Africa on her way back from Dubai to Southampton.   Essential crew only.    So, Chef Lisa may well be on either Seascape or Meraviglia very soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I couldn’t agree more! My first MSC cruise was a fortune (but unfortunate) free cruise and in Yacht Club on the Divina. I am an advent cruiser so I have many ships and cruise lines to compare it to. We never left Yacht club and explored. It was nice to be exclusive in Yacht Club, however the food was nothing to write home about. We had our own restaurant next to the pool for small snack, finger foods and small dishes. Then there was the actual restaurant. Again maybe equivalent to a Golden Corral. I ordered a fillet mignon. It was maybe 1/4” thick. After several nights of horrible food the maître started asking how our week was and the food. We didn’t hold back. He actually dropped the f bomb to us!!!!! I was livid! I am not one to let someone to walk over me. However, this free cruise was because of my friend. I did not want to say anything and embarrass her. So we all sat there in shock. Horrible customer service and horrible food. Though again I was thinking a free cruise in Yacht Club. Maybe we just had a bad crew or just this ship……

Following year my family, husband and twin girls, decide to go on the Seaside for 5 days. The price was amazing and the ship has a waterpark that looked amazing. Upon getting to our cabin I realized we did not have enough towels and wash clothes. I found our room attendant, he was aware of it and said they ran out. There was not enough!?!?!?? Eventually later that day we got all that we needed. The next day was the same, the day after and after….

Dining at night in the main restaurant was like having your toenails pulled off. The first night they brought everyone’s meal except my daughters. Of course it was my sensitive daughter. All she kept saying was they forgot me, as she was crying. The waiter said he would make it up to us. That’s later in the story…..
The lack of caring from the wait staff was mildly putting it. My husband asked for a straw. The waitress said she doesn’t think she could find one. A few minutes later I asked the manager, he walked right over and grabbed it. We wouldn’t see any wait staff after they dropped off our food. They would be back to drop off dessert/coffee. Another night my husband was told it would be 45 minutes for a drink. I asked the waitress back for his card so I could just go to the bar (outside the restaurant) and grab him a drink. She then argued that she didn’t have his card. She went to go look and his card and drink showed up!!!??!?!! They are very unorganized and dis functional. I truly believe the workers do not care. No one felt sincere. 
The theater was the biggest joke!! I had just gotten a drink. As we enter the theater to see a Michael Jackson show I was told I could not bring my drink in. What?!?? All cruises I’ve been on they sell drinks and popcorn….nope! Notta. The theater ceiling was extremely low and the production was very low end. 
Back to the beginning…the first night the waiter said he would make it up to us…he sent a bottle of champagne. Which was very nice. It was on our last night at 9pm. I opened it just so they couldn’t reuse it. We left the cruise and renamed MSC….Miserable Stinkin Cruise

Also FYI CNBC wrote an intriguing article about worlds largest container ship company, MSC, dumping diverted cargo problems onto U.S. companies from the horrendous Baltimore Francis Scott Key Bridge accident. Six lives were taken.  And for anyone that doesn’t know, MSC started as a shipping company (they still are) and then added the cruise line. MSC is an Italian line. I am going to see if I can attach the article…

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/03/28/worlds-biggest-shipping-firm-dumps-port-cargo-problem-on-us-companies.html?fbclid=IwAR1XsEYDPndi5Efcpx79rdki6l9chr4m0tCxAsZuQohVoB3fh9T62bC2yfU_aem_AaEPyyk64sCtAB3-DEqT-1GJyildfLp_b9V6Ycv5WHI-0y2k3dX4eRO7Jm-ypTLyBgs

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:30 PM, Never Again MSC 2024 said:

Second time MSC cruiser , last time was 2018 which was a decent experience. We are experienced cruisers with all

major lines last 25 years. This MSC cruise has made me so angry that words cannot describe. 

Fast forward to Our April sailing in MSC Seascape. I am writing this even before getting off the ship!!

I have never in my 25 years of cruising had cabins that were basically not cleaned from start to end of the cruise. The room was completely filthy when we started the cruise and it never got better as the week went on despite complaints. We just gave up and just cleaned it ourselves. We honestly felt lucky if we got new towels each day…

Now to the food, the only good thing was the pizza . Everything else was a horror show entire week. Just look at the famous Italian Dish “linguine Vingole” or pasta with clams. Just look at the picture , dry pasta with one singular dried out clam.🤷🏻‍♂️ Keep in mind, this is a famous Italian Dish and MSC is an Italian cruise line.

Lastly, the “customer service desk” was completely rude and unprofessional when I went on the last night to try and verify a MSC canceled excursion was properly refunded. They insisted that my 80 year mother who doesn’t speak English with limited mobility be there in person before releasing that information to me. Our rooms were grouped  together from the start and excursions were purchased together!!! while I understand privacy is important , this was frankly stupid .

Despite my poor experience on this cruise, I was probably not going to write this review until the experience that just happened at the customer service desk! The woman supervisor was absolutely the worst. She needs to be demoted  or fired .

I went against the advice of my long time travel agent who warned me aginat booking MSC but I decided to take my extended family on it based on our above average 2018 experience.!!

I should have listened to my agent! I would not go on MSC ever again even if they paid me!! This was a complete , unmitigated disaster!

DONT  DO IT NO MATTER WHAT! 

IMG_5950.jpeg

I second that!!!!!

29 minutes ago, oceans.calling said:

MOTS, are there two Chef Lisa’s? Heard there is a Chef Lisa on the Meraviglia who took Chef Ajay’s place and we are boarding tomorrow. 

Not that I know of ? Boarding tomorrow...with Chef Lisa?.... Lucky dogs !

• Like 1

Just got back from my 2nd cruise and the 3 others first cruise and could not disagree more with your review. I took my wife and parents on their first cruise on this ship 02/20/24-02/28/24. We absolutely loved the food (yes the pizza was the best especially when you live in Mexico and miss your big NY slices. We ate in the dining room only once and yes I thought the food was below average (had the red snapper). After that we stuck to the buffet and loved it. The breakfast was top notch, too. The only upgrade restaurant we did was the sushi for my wife's 50th birthday (but so not understand how you have no Saki at a sushi restaurant) because we really enjoyed the different options every night. Everyone was very friendly and our Balcony room was cleaned everyday just fine. The entertainment was weak compared to the only other cruise I went on but it is a European line (not Italian) and their entertainment does need to adopt to your audience. Having no comedy club was a bummer.

My biggest complaint was the hot tubs were not hot and they should not let kids in them. Give them the one inside and that is it. 

Overall for the price we paid for a balcony ($1250 for 2) so it is hard to complain but sorry for your experience. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Look at its success it is generating with its new Explora Journeys cruise ship."

In fairness, Morpheus, they can't fill a ship as of yet (at least I've not seen even a nearly full ship reported). The passenger counts thus far have included plenty of complimentary fares for travel agents, vloggers, and influencers. They have already had to slash prices on lower-tier cabins during a time when well-off cruisers are eager to sail and should happily pay a premium to be among the early passengers. 

On top of all that, the CEO has made a rather suspect resignation.

If MSC were not privately held, I daresay investors would look askance at your use of the word "success." However, Explora Journeys is privately held and the Apontes can bide their time while Explora finds its sea legs and its raison d'être.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JT1962 said:

People either love or hate MSC. I’ve had mostly good experiences on the 9 cruises I’ve had with them in the last 30 months. Luckily, there are many other cruise lines to choose from.

We sailed MSC back in 2017 and swore we'd never do it again. We went again last month in a Yacht Club inside cabin and it was a completely different experience. We'd definitely go back, but only in YC. It's a completely different experience. I know there are many people who love MSC, we ran into several of them in elevators on our cruise. Good for them. And there are many who accept the problems because it's cheap. That's fine, too. But not us. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, peder said:

When we sailed on the Seascape we had an amazing cabin steward that was by our cabin several times each day. Very hard worker, always checking in. And not heavy cleaning, of course, but if we stopped in quick to get the kids a quick shower and outfit change after pool time, hit the buffet, then come back a short while later, we'd find that the room had been tidied in between.

So I don't think that level of service is a total anomaly.

no cruise cabin attendant are ever in rooms 3 to 4 times a day . Only possibility is you tipped extra at beginning of cruise and asked for that. Or if they are in your room that often on their own… hmmm

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DC Gnome said:

I couldn’t agree more! My first MSC cruise was a fortune (but unfortunate) free cruise and in Yacht Club on the Divina. I am an advent cruiser so I have many ships and cruise lines to compare it to. We never left Yacht club and explored. It was nice to be exclusive in Yacht Club, however the food was nothing to write home about. We had our own restaurant next to the pool for small snack, finger foods and small dishes. Then there was the actual restaurant. Again maybe equivalent to a Golden Corral. I ordered a fillet mignon. It was maybe 1/4” thick. After several nights of horrible food the maître started asking how our week was and the food. We didn’t hold back. He actually dropped the f bomb to us!!!!! I was livid! I am not one to let someone to walk over me. However, this free cruise was because of my friend. I did not want to say anything and embarrass her. So we all sat there in shock. Horrible customer service and horrible food. Though again I was thinking a free cruise in Yacht Club. Maybe we just had a bad crew or just this ship……

Following year my family, husband and twin girls, decide to go on the Seaside for 5 days. The price was amazing and the ship has a waterpark that looked amazing. Upon getting to our cabin I realized we did not have enough towels and wash clothes. I found our room attendant, he was aware of it and said they ran out. There was not enough!?!?!?? Eventually later that day we got all that we needed. The next day was the same, the day after and after….

Dining at night in the main restaurant was like having your toenails pulled off. The first night they brought everyone’s meal except my daughters. Of course it was my sensitive daughter. All she kept saying was they forgot me, as she was crying. The waiter said he would make it up to us. That’s later in the story…..
The lack of caring from the wait staff was mildly putting it. My husband asked for a straw. The waitress said she doesn’t think she could find one. A few minutes later I asked the manager, he walked right over and grabbed it. We wouldn’t see any wait staff after they dropped off our food. They would be back to drop off dessert/coffee. Another night my husband was told it would be 45 minutes for a drink. I asked the waitress back for his card so I could just go to the bar (outside the restaurant) and grab him a drink. She then argued that she didn’t have his card. She went to go look and his card and drink showed up!!!??!?!! They are very unorganized and dis functional. I truly believe the workers do not care. No one felt sincere. 
The theater was the biggest joke!! I had just gotten a drink. As we enter the theater to see a Michael Jackson show I was told I could not bring my drink in. What?!?? All cruises I’ve been on they sell drinks and popcorn….nope! Notta. The theater ceiling was extremely low and the production was very low end. 
Back to the beginning…the first night the waiter said he would make it up to us…he sent a bottle of champagne. Which was very nice. It was on our last night at 9pm. I opened it just so they couldn’t reuse it. We left the cruise and renamed MSC….Miserable Stinkin Cruise

Also FYI CNBC wrote an intriguing article about worlds largest container ship company, MSC, dumping diverted cargo problems onto U.S. companies from the horrendous Baltimore Francis Scott Key Bridge accident. Six lives were taken.  And for anyone that doesn’t know, MSC started as a shipping company (they still are) and then added the cruise line. MSC is an Italian line. I am going to see if I can attach the article…

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/03/28/worlds-biggest-shipping-firm-dumps-port-cargo-problem-on-us-companies.html?fbclid=IwAR1XsEYDPndi5Efcpx79rdki6l9chr4m0tCxAsZuQohVoB3fh9T62bC2yfU_aem_AaEPyyk64sCtAB3-DEqT-1GJyildfLp_b9V6Ycv5WHI-0y2k3dX4eRO7Jm-ypTLyBgs

We went on the MCS Seaside last year in YC and they were great! Food was good,  service was good.  Our butler took care of everything.  We didn't have to lift a finger.  But,  we did go to the main buffet to check it out and I agree with others that the food there isn't that great. I would probably only cruise with MSC again in yacht Club.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I know there are many people who love MSC, we ran into several of them in elevators on our cruise. Good for them. And there are many who accept the problems because it's cheap. That's fine, too. But not us. 

You are wrong. People not book MSC "because it´s cheap", people (like me) book them, because they love the product. A cruise line can never survive with just being cheap, that´s something that works for airlines, but not for a ship one spends a whole week or more. 

• Like 10

We're currently on MSC Seaview and it's our first time on this line. Most likely our last. 

Embarkation in Rio was a complete shambles. Getting off the ship at times has been like a disorganized free for all. 

Cleanliness standards are far below that of our previous experiences; all with Holland America. Food has been a bit hit and miss. 

Customer service has been poor and the waits to actually talk to anybody at the desk are horrendous. We tried resolving issues like a safe that was already locked when we boarded and a non functioning fridge but 5 calls over two days yielded no results. 

It's not all bad. Some of the staff have been excellent. Particularly in the fine dining. Some of the shows have been great. And the cruise was relatively cheap. I guess you pay for what you get. 

I can see it being a better family cruise experience than Holland America as there are more things for kids to do. 

At this point we feel the cons outweigh the pros. Cruising should be an overwhelming positive experience and we don't feel that this one was. 

• Like 2

I looked through what menus i could find and didn't see it on the regular mdr menus but i seem to remember it is available one night either there or the YC. Since the food is prepared mess hall/cafeteria style hundreds[thousand?] of people would have complained and the cruise called the great pasta and clam mutiny of 24. Or it was the late seating and they ran out and the crew didn't have the guts or courtesy to explain it isn't available.

And the excursion complaint is way off base imho. It doesn't matter if the cabins are 'linked' or anything. Only the passengers in the cabin and owners of credit cards can give answers or ask questions to the crew about their cruise events.

• Like 1

Sorry you felt this was a horror show for you. This is Spaghetti alle Vongole on Euribia a few weeks ago in YC. Only two clams actually with shells, but they were in the sauce. They must have forgotten to put sauce on. I would have been disappointed as well, but there are so many options.  The Euribia was the best food we've had out of three, but the other two were very good, just not as well seasoned. Your review seems a bit nitpicky and like you were looking for reasons to be disappointed.

To the person commenting about no food choices to feed your baby, I'm astonished anyone wouldn't pack their own baby food especially if breast fed. But you do you.

Oh why do so many people worry about having a drink at the shows? They are only 30 minutes. I like to have my drinks, but can certainly manage to watch a very short show without one.

IMG_2909.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, no1talks said:

In fairness, Morpheus, they can't fill a ship as of yet (at least I've not seen even a nearly full ship reported). The passenger counts thus far have included plenty of complimentary fares for travel agents, vloggers, and influencers. They have already had to slash prices on lower-tier cabins during a time when well-off cruisers are eager to sail and should happily pay a premium to be among the early passengers. 

On top of all that, the CEO has made a rather suspect resignation.

If MSC were not privately held, I daresay investors would look askance at your use of the word "success." However, Explora Journeys is privately held and the Apontes can bide their time while Explora finds its sea legs and its raison d'être.

Dear @no1talks, slowly this 'new' cruise line, Explora Journeys, will be the dominant number #1 cruise line in the luxury market. It already surpasses Regent Seven Seas (IMHO).We would be switching many of our Yacht Club sailings to Explora if they had more closed looped to/from Miami.(We will be trying out Oceania and Cunard's QE on your recommendation your opinions we highly value). MSC has gained the #4 in the world of cruising and it too will become number # 1 in a few short years with all its new ships and plenty of money behind them. The others are near default, at least two have insurmountable debt and have been raising their prices and reducing services. Heard that 10-12 chefs were recently on board the Seashore for some pow-wow, but postings like this one show that nothing has yet has materialized in the food department. As for the CEO departure I already reported 6 weeks prior to the CEO's departure that the reason was his idea of a "hotel at sea" concept using only seasoned hotel people backfired. Not only he was 'axed', but everyone he hired was asked to leave and Mr. Vago took over, not even waiting to find a replacement. This is how serious MSC is in making decisions and turnarounds. They found out very quickly (or it is just a red herring reason) that hotel people are too "lazy". Try an Explora cruise just once at these enticing prices, unfortunately the Residences prices are not as enticing, but we are 'hooked'.

• Like 1

Never been on MSC cruise, just booking one for June.

People have always said, a cruise is what you make of it.  I would ask for a new dish if you don't like the pasta dish (which looks dry & nasty to me) & I am sure they would have obliged.  I went to Hell's Kitchen at Foxwoods Casino this past week & had horrible scallop dish served to me (well not horrible, but scallops were cut uneven, so sear was completely uneven - almost crispy to barely done on the same scallop).  I simple alerted the server & got a replacement that was delicious.

As for cleanliness.  We arrived into our cabin with our twin girls, then around 2yrs old & into everything & found an old eaten chicken wing on the floor.  Called front desk & they sent someont to clean the cabin again.  Had a great cruise.  Did not stop us from sailing on NCL again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGW656 said:

Cleanliness standards are far below that of our previous experiences; all with Holland America. Food has been a bit hit and miss.

Everyone’s experience is different. We booked the One Pinnacle suite on the Nieuw Amsterdam.The ship had a CDC sanitation score of 98. My DW is a germaphobe and came down with both Covid and norovirus 2 days before we left the ship and was hospitalized. The following cruise had 270 sick on board. The only difference between us is she ate from the bread basket. Was it passed from or made up from prior tables? Entertainment venues were fcfs could not accommodate all that wanted to attend. A truly all steerage cruise line.

• Like 1

I signed up just so i could respond to this comment!

I've been on 16 cruises - mostly Carnival & Norwegian - and i will never go on an MSC again. 

While the staff on our Seascape cruise in December 2023 did a fabulous job, the cruise was disappointing. The food was HORRIBLE. Who goes on a cruise and loses weight?

Under cooked, over cooked or cold sums up the offerings at the buffet - except for the pizza. The pizza was good.  O! And the soft serve ice cream that was only limitedly available.

One dinner I ordered salmon and received grouper! I was presented with salmon on a different night and altho it was seared beautifully, it was undercooked and inedible.

The sad part was that every staff member we talked to acknowledged that the food was bad - eveb the dining room staff acknowledged and apologized. I felt bad for them. 

Mornig , Im from Hialeah FL, Im a diamond member of Royal Caribbean with 52 cruises completed,  I had never experiment any situation like that on RC at least until now, I feel so sorry for you because vac on cruise cost money from our pay check, I understand that cruise employees work hard but we pay hard too, sorry for the horrible vac that you and your family had been experimented

• Like 1

12 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

MSC knows the importance of good chefs. Look at its success it is generating with its new Explora Journeys cruise ship. We were astonished a couple of years ago in the YC restaurant at how good the food was compared to a few months earlier. I asked our maitre d' why the improvement. He said they have a new chef. I asked to see the chef to make my compliments. Out came Chef Lisa. I stood up and shook her hand. Subsequently I had the occasion to ask her where she came from. It appears MSC knew they had to make improvements in its food and they approached her where she had been working for about 10 years developing her reputation in the cruise industry. She said they made her 'an offer she could not refuse'. "I know what Americans like."  So whenever I get on board I make it a point now to get to know the Chef in charge. Unfortunately, for us, Chef Lisa is now on the Virtuosa. Will be on board the Seascape in two weeks. Never found everything "horrible" enough to quit an MSC cruise, like we just did on the Regent Grandeur.

Lisa is on as chef. She was on our March 3rd sailing.

This was an earlier post. I hope she is on Meraviglia as we are sailing later this month.

48 minutes ago, ToeyA said:

I signed up just so i could respond to this comment!

I've been on 16 cruises - mostly Carnival & Norwegian - and i will never go on an MSC again. 

While the staff on our Seascape cruise in December 2023 did a fabulous job, the cruise was disappointing. The food was HORRIBLE. Who goes on a cruise and loses weight?

Under cooked, over cooked or cold sums up the offerings at the buffet - except for the pizza. The pizza was good.  O! And the soft serve ice cream that was only limitedly available.

One dinner I ordered salmon and received grouper! I was presented with salmon on a different night and altho it was seared beautifully, it was undercooked and inedible.

The sad part was that every staff member we talked to acknowledged that the food was bad - eveb the dining room staff acknowledged and apologized. I felt bad for them. 

Hello,

Whilst I do not go on cruises to lose weight, the only cruise (out of 50+) on which I *DID* lose weight was on Celebrity Eclipse whilst in AquaClass and dining in Blu.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:
Lisa is on as chef. She was on our March 3rd sailing.

This was an earlier post. I hope she is on Meraviglia as we are sailing later this month.

Thanks... I'm am getting old fast and lucky if I remember the way home. Every day on the turnpike are the silver alerts posted as a reminder. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls..."

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 2

Why are we trying to justify our experiences to this experience? 

This is one person's experience and that person's perception.

Is it just that we are trying to create a bigger conflict?

I could add to the DISCUSSION as I have been on MSC since 2009, and still cruise MSC, when Rick Sasso from Celebrity took over MSC Caribbean operations.

HAPPY CRUISING!