Regent orders 2 new ships - deliveries in 2026 and 2029.

49 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Two new ships will be hybrid so they can go into Norwegian fjords and other protected waters.  Voyager will be gone in 2026. 

Great news on new ship! Mary and I will(hopefully) spend our 65th anniversary on its Maiden.

• Like 4

The two new ships are going to be larger but the ratio of passengers is far higher than any Regent ship. The space ratio is enormous so these new ships are going to be incredibly spacious.  

Seven Seas Grandeur 
55,000 gt
744 pax 
73.9 space ratio 

Newbuilds
77,000 gt
850 pax 
90.6 space ratio

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Two new ships will be hybrid so they can go into Norwegian fjords and other protected waters.  Voyager will be gone in 2026. 

I think you mean NAVIGATOR.  

7 hours ago, eroller said:

The two new ships are going to be larger but the ratio of passengers is far higher than any Regent ship. The space ratio is enormous so these new ships are going to be incredibly spacious.  

Seven Seas Grandeur 
55,000 gt
744 pax 
73.9 space ratio 

Newbuilds
77,000 gt
850 pax 
90.6 space ratio

That's really something. It will be interesting to see what they do with the additional space; I've only been aboard Splendor, and have a hard time envisioning how anything could be or would need to be more spacious than it. Maybe we'll see some new specialty restaurants, or larger versions of the current ones, which would enable more frequent dining in them for everyone? A larger thermal experience area in the spa? (I have not been on Viking, but the photos I have seen of the thermal areas on their expedition ships are really impressive.) More "named" suites? Larger lounges? Both of these last two seem unnecessary, but I guess we'll see!

• Like 1

It would be nice to have expansive open aft deck public spaces that feature open dining, bars or other public spaces with shaded lounges or places to relax (away from the crowded pool deck).  Also an outdoor forward viewing space which is currently lacking would be nice.

• Like 5

Interesting development, given that a few weeks ago they announced major refits for Mariner & Voyager in late 2025. Several Voyager cruises were then waitlisted but they’ve now re-appeared on the website.

There seems to be a slight lack of clarity and some uncertainty about what is actually happening with existing ships, never mind new ones! We’ve cancelled a cruise on Voyager scheduled for 2026, because of the changes made  since we originally booked. It would surely help prospective sales, and customer relations, if there could be some confirmation that if you book a cruise on .voyager, it will go ahead. 

The posts regarding which ships might be sold exacerbate the uncertainty. I appreciate that they are not “official” but if people imply that they are “in the know” it may make some - me included - slightly nervous.

I noticed in the press release that the two ships are going to Oceania.  I believe that both the size and the passenger size are within their standard sizes. 

1 minute ago, Scout16 said:

I noticed in the press release that the two ships are going to Oceania.  I believe that both the size and the passenger size are within their standard sizes. 

Two going to Oceania and two going to Regent.

Huh.  I was just wondering about new ship(s) a few days ago.  I'm sure they'll come up with something new and incredible, but I'm kind of mixed about the creeping up of passenger capacity.  I know more pax = more $$, and the ratios are still real good...but larger ships are precluded from some ports and more people is still more people.  Our one non-Regent cruise was on a ship with about 2,500 people or so, and it wasn't too bad while you're underway...but ports were a pain with so many people barreling off the ship.

I know 850 is still not crowded and I'm sure they'll be gorgeous.  And yes, I'm excited to see what they come up with.  Should be interesting!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Scout16 said:

actually not -- larger also

Building on its last Allura-class ship in 2025, Oceania Cruises is scheduled to take delivery of two 86,000gt vessels with capacity for 1,400 passengers each in 2027 and 2029.

Sisters Vista and 2025's Allura are currently Oceania's largest ships, measuring 67,000gt with capacity for 1,200 passengers.

1 hour ago, Scout16 said:

New Oceania ships are a bit  larger than the Vista/Allura (67k tons, roughly 1250-1300 passengers).Following the trends in the luxury segment (RSSC, SilverSea, etc)

11 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

actually not -- larger also

Building on its last Allura-class ship in 2025, Oceania Cruises is scheduled to take delivery of two 86,000gt vessels with capacity for 1,400 passengers each in 2027 and 2029.

Sisters Vista and 2025's Allura are currently Oceania's largest ships, measuring 67,000gt with capacity for 1,200 passengers.

Ahh you stole my thunder by a few minutes!  😄

6 hours ago, Pies4u said:

The posts regarding which ships might be sold exacerbate the uncertainty. I appreciate that they are not “official” but if people imply that they are “in the know” it may make some - me included - slightly nervous.

I am definitely NOT “in the know.”  I just share my opinion in order to generate discussion so that I may learn and thus evolve my opinion.  

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:40 AM, Scout16 said:

NCLH (the holding company of Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania & Regent) announced EIGHT new ships, four of which are going to Norwegian, two of which are going to Oceania, and two of which are going to Regent.  The two ships going to Regent are detailed in other contributions to this thread, but they are 38% heavier in tonnage & will carry 14% more passengers. 

The "hybrid" character reported for these two Regent ships may mean that the 38% "weight gain" is not just SIZE-related.  I'd suspect that weight gain is apportioned between a) supplemental alternative propulsion characteristics (e.g., perhaps, engines to burn ultra-clean LNG for transiting sensitive areas . . . maybe even augmented by batteries (which are VERY heavy) added atop the standard bunker fuel & low-sulfur diesel engines) and b) additional space onboard to accommodate 100 additional passengers.  

On 4/9/2024 at 9:24 AM, Pies4u said:

Interesting development, given that a few weeks ago they announced major refits for Mariner & Voyager in late 2025. Several Voyager cruises were then waitlisted but they’ve now re-appeared on the website.

There seems to be a slight lack of clarity and some uncertainty about what is actually happening with existing ships, never mind new ones! We’ve cancelled a cruise on Voyager scheduled for 2026, because of the changes made  since we originally booked. It would surely help prospective sales, and customer relations, if there could be some confirmation that if you book a cruise on .voyager, it will go ahead. 

I've seen nothing official from NCLH or Regent indicating they're dropping Voyager (or any other ship) in 2026, so I'm curious where those making this statement are getting their information?  As of right now, this is what we Navy veterans call "scuttlebutt" - unsubstantiated speculation, aka "a wild ass guess."

• Like 2

On 4/9/2024 at 8:47 AM, Sunprince said:

It would be nice to have expansive open aft deck public spaces that feature open dining, bars or other public spaces with shaded lounges or places to relax (away from the crowded pool deck).  Also an outdoor forward viewing space which is currently lacking would be nice.

I'd love to see some open deck forward space - we transited the Panama Canal on Christmas Day 2022 aboard Splendor (i.e., add to this configuration all Explorer-class ships - Explorer, Grandeur & Splendor).  It was a very special transit and day . . . BUT, unless you had good friends in forward-looking suites, you had no means to see the transit from an open-air forward-looking space (the only public forward-looking space was the enclosed Observation Lounge).  Entering Amsterdam in Aug 2022, such spaces were available on Voyager as we transited the locks from the Baltic.

This helps to explain why they’re taking Splendor “out of commission “ for the 227 World Cruise. 

Does the larger space ratio on the new ships mean that there’ll be more shady lounge chairs to hog?  🤪

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

This helps to explain why they’re taking Splendor “out of commission “ for the 227 World Cruise. 

Does the larger space ratio on the new ships mean that there’ll be more shady lounge chairs to hog?  🤪

If we are playing the guessing game, I think Regent keeps V and M (due to extensive refits late 2025 - and you don't do that if you are selling) and sells Navigator and re-uses the name on a new ship.

Open decks forward of the pool and an aft facing lounge, with outside seating, would be a major bonus in my view! The older ships offer these facilities and they are much missed by many, from what I can gather, on the more recent offerings.

• Like 3