Why is cruising the best type of vacation ?

Financially - it makes sense to me. 

I spent 10 days in Colorado, just outside Denver, for work.  My expense report for those 10 days was over $3,000 and that was flights, hotel, meals and car rental.  NO entertainment or activities. 

I did a 15-night Panama Canal cruise for about the same cost, including a night pre-cruise and a night post-cruise in hotels.  The cruise was all meals, entertainment, activities, etc.  Plus I got to see one of the great engineering marvels of the 20th century AND contribute to the tourism restart in Acapulco after the powerful hurricane they experienced in October (only the second cruise call there since then).

I also like that I can unpack once and see several different places.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm surprised by the disagreement here. I had to check to see if I was at the right site.

I happen to agree with the principle that cruising isn't for everyone all the time. But for me, at this phase in my life, cruising sucks up most of my vacation time.

I don't find this unpleasant but all I wrote was "agreed."

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

In addition, for me at least there's the financial factor. For my regular cruises, they cost less than a hotel stay in any place decent.

My view is that ocean cruising is a very cost effective vacation experience.  It also works at all levels - budget, mid-market and luxury.  One is hard pressed to reproduce the all-in costs in any other way.  

Maybe others can comment if the same holds true on river cruises

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Financially - it makes sense to me. 

I spent 10 days in Colorado, just outside Denver, for work.  My expense report for those 10 days was over $3,000 and that was flights, hotel, meals and car rental.  NO entertainment or activities. 

I did a 15-night Panama Canal cruise for about the same cost, including a night pre-cruise and a night post-cruise in hotels.  The cruise was all meals, entertainment, activities, etc.  Plus I got to see one of the great engineering marvels of the 20th century AND contribute to the tourism restart in Acapulco after the powerful hurricane they experienced in October (only the second cruise call there since then).

I also like that I can unpack once and see several different places.

The only time I traveled for work was to a conference in Hartford,Ct.

9 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm surprised by the disagreement here. I had to check to see if I was at the right site.

I happen to agree with the principle that cruising isn't for everyone all the time. But for me, at this phase in my life, cruising sucks up most of my vacation time.

I'm not surprised at the disagreement, but would like to see more info why or what is superior.  So far the only reasons I've seen is people are deluded into thinking a one day port visit is meaningful and ports with large ships are crowded.  I agree with the potential for crowds.  For the other, I guess it depends what someone enjoys.  

Your comment also made me realize as I have achieved some age advantaged status, cruises are just physically easier.  For people with mobility issues or even just the normal aches and pains that come with advanced years, a cruise is a pretty good option.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm not surprised at the disagreement, but would like to see more info why or what is superior.  So far the only reasons I've seen is people are deluded into thinking a one day port visit is meaningful and ports with large ships are crowded.  I agree with the potential for crowds.  For the other, I guess it depends what someone enjoys.  

Your comment also made me realize as I have achieved some age advantaged status, cruises are just physically easier.  For people with mobility issues or even just the normal aches and pains that come with advanced years, a cruise is a pretty good option.  

The manner in which the question is asked makes the automatic assumption that cruising is the best type of vacation. The are reasons cruises are desirable and reasons they are not but they are not automatically the "best." It depends on personal tastes and what you prefer to do on vacation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

people are deluded into thinking a one day port visit is meaningful

I am curious why you believe people can't have a meaningful experience in a port visit?  I am 100% in agreement that one cannot truly get to know a port in a six to ten hour port visit but that to me is different than having a meaningful experience. 

I personally have some super fond memories from some of those short cruise stops.  Were those short port visits meaningful? I think so, as these visits created memories that I have held on to for a long time.  

• Like 2

The smallest cabin on a decent ship is far better than the best seat on any jet.  It is a great value in travel.  I agree it is not the best but it is on par with other pleasant styles of travel 

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

I personally have some super fond memories from some of those short cruise stops.  Were those short port visits meaningful? I think so, as these visits created memories that I have held on to for a long time.  

Agreed - I got to spend 8 hours in Acapulco this year.  Seems short, right?  However, it was only the second cruise ship visit since their hurricane in October, there was still a LOT of destruction evident, so getting to see that while contributing to their economy was VERY meaningful, and many of the hotels were damaged so tourism was nonexistent except for cruises stopping there.  Oh, I also got to release a baby sea turtle to the ocean.  VERY memorable port stop!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, hallux said:

I got to spend 8 hours in Acapulco this year.

As an aside,  I have always wanted to stay at Las Brisas Hotel - aka "the Pink Palace" - where my parents stayed in the 1960's.  Sadly, I haven't made it to Acapulco yet...

Thanks for the reminder

Edited by SelectSys

One thing to remember about cruises, and why they may be the "best" for some people, is the fact that you can leave all responsibilities behind. If you make sure you get back to the ship by all aboard time, you can completely relax.
Dinner? You don't have to prepare it.
Getting to places? You don't have to drive to get to them, or look for gas stations, or any of that.
Entertainment? Well, you might have to make a reservation or two on the bigger ships, but then you can walk to the theater.
I agree with some of the other posts - it isn't the best for everybody, but that's usually the case for any activity you like. I loved caving when I was younger, but that sure isn't for most people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Nothing is neccesarily superior - it is not a competition, in which, as K32682 said, your starting premise is that cruising is the best answer

'Why do you like cruising' might be a better starter that the automatic assumption in  'why is cruising best'

I dont like big crowds and that goes for on a ship as well as in a port, I dont like waiting in long queues,I dont want sea days. I'm not into big entertainment type shows,  I dont like formal occasions - so I like river cruising rather than ocean cruising

But that doesnt make river cruising 'best' - it just makes it my preference

It also isnt my only preference or even my personal best -  I also like small group land tours and on our own land tours.

Yes it totally just depends what someone enjoys - and they can equally enjoy more than one thing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

The manner in which the question is asked makes the automatic assumption that cruising is the best type of vacation. The are reasons cruises are desirable and reasons they are not but they are not automatically the "best." It depends on personal tastes and what you prefer to do on vacation. 

You don't like the way the question was asked.  Got it.  I understood the question to be a discussion of why cruising is great for them (or not).   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I am curious why you believe people can't have a meaningful experience in a port visit?  I am 100% in agreement that one cannot truly get to know a port in a six to ten hour port visit but that to me is different than having a meaningful experience. 

I do not believe that.  I was referring to an earlier post that said that.  

I am in agreement with you and immensely enjoy hanging out for a day in a picturesque place.     

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Nothing is neccesarily superior - it is not a competition, in which, as K32682 said, your starting premise is that cruising is the best answer

'Why do you like cruising' might be a better starter that the automatic assumption in  'why is cruising best'

I dont like big crowds and that goes for on a ship as well as in a port, I dont like waiting in long queues,I dont want sea days. I'm not into big entertainment type shows,  I dont like formal occasions - so I like river cruising rather than ocean cruising

But that doesnt make river cruising 'best' - it just makes it my preference

It also isnt my only preference or even my personal best -  I also like small group land tours and on our own land tours.

Yes it totally just depends what someone enjoys - and they can equally enjoy more than one thing

I disagree. To some a cruise can absolutely be considered superior.  That does not mean they can't enjoy other things.   I think folks may be getting too wrapped up in the thread title.  It should be a discussion, not a vote.   It is not hard to conclude one might discuss the pluses and minuses.  Like the things you mention about ocean cruises.      

well yes ldubs - diverting into the tangent of the title wording probably isnt a good idea

and yes absolutely to some people a cruise can be superior - but that is just another way of saying it is their personal preference.

which is what I said too - just gave some reasoning of mine, for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If I had to name my most enjoyable vacations they would likely be those that combined a cruise with a DIY land trip.   

That is the best of both worlds. Using the ship for the big distances and land for the touring.  We often sandwich land tours between two cruises. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is the best of both worlds. Using the ship for the big distances and land for the touring.  We often sandwich land tours between two cruises. 

Heh!

We more often sandwich a cruise between some sort of land trip before and after.  Often we have a larger "trip" after the cruise, while having a shorter <something> prior to the cruise.  And we also use those pre-cruise days as a buffer in case we end up delayed in our arrival.  We'd rather miss a few days near the port than to miss the ship!

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

If I had to name my most enjoyable vacations they would likely be those that combined a cruise with a DIY land trip.   

That was my Alaska trip.  A DIY week on land followed by a week on a cruise Southbound from Seward. Best vacation ever!

• Like 1