Arrival Question

I just checked in this morning for our Edge Alaska Dawes Glacier Cruise 7 Nights Concierge Class Seattle round trip 31 May 2024.  It is the second week of the season.  We got stuck with 12 noon for arrival.

Last time we took the exact cruise was 2 weeks before the end of the season on the Solstice.  Then in 2022 it gave us the same time.  We took the first shuttle from the self booked hotel and got to the port about 10 or 1030 with no issues boarding early.

Will we be able to do the same again?

I know we have to dump our stuff in the cabin and take off until they are released around 1 PM or so.

You will be fine but you'll get a lot of opinions here saying you shouldn't. Im a rule follower and I know from lots of experience this isn't something they care about- they care more about what works for you! I was told they realize just as many people don't come when they're assigned due to delays ad  come early and it all works out.  Enjoy! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

You will probably be able to do the same as you did in the past, barring any unexpected delays on the ship’s arrival.

That is true.  The sooner they can push people off and clear the ship with customs the sooner they can open boarding.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ICANTWAITTOCRUISE said:

You will be fine but you'll get a lot of opinions here saying you shouldn't. Im a rule follower and I know from lots of experience this isn't something they care about- they care more about what works for you! I was told they realize just as many people don't come when they're assigned due to delays ad  come early and it all works out.  Enjoy! 

They probably think, "Good you are here get on so we won't have to worry later about you."

Edited by ScottC4746
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I just checked in this morning for our Edge Alaska Dawes Glacier Cruise 7 Nights Concierge Class Seattle round trip 31 May 2024.  It is the second week of the season.  We got stuck with 12 noon for arrival.

Last time we took the exact cruise was 2 weeks before the end of the season on the Solstice.  Then in 2022 it gave us the same time.  We took the first shuttle from the self booked hotel and got to the port about 10 or 1030 with no issues boarding early.

Will we be able to do the same again?

I know we have to dump our stuff in the cabin and take off until they are released around 1 PM or so.

My Magic 8 Ball says, "cannot predict now". 🎱

If people arrive at 10:30, will they have to wait in the terminal until the ship is ready to board?  We have arrived early on prior sailings, before assigned arrival times, and we sat in the terminal until noon with hundreds of our closest friends.  Not a lot of fun.  =( 

35 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

They probably think, "Good you are here get on so we won't have to worry later about you."

Shoreside won't worry about you. If you are not there by all aboard time they will close the check-in and go home.

34 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

If people arrive at 10:30, will they have to wait in the terminal until the ship is ready to board?  We have arrived early on prior sailings, before assigned arrival times, and we sat in the terminal until noon with hundreds of our closest friends.  Not a lot of fun.  =( 

Was this on celebrity? Most here including myself have not had that experience. Interesting though and u wonder if it varies by port?

We were in Seattle waiting to board and it was chaos.  Wall to wall cruisers and there were  cruisers from two ships in the same area.  People were packed like sardines.  No rush for us next time to get there early.

2 hours ago, ICANTWAITTOCRUISE said:

Was this on celebrity? Most here including myself have not had that experience. Interesting though and u wonder if it varies by port?

So when you arrived early at 1030, what happened?

Have arrived 3 times early enough to need to wait at the terminal, yet was able to board the ship with the first wave of people.  Arrived another 3 times after the first wave but no later than noon, and again was let right on.  Was never in a suite, and no one checked/asked about your boarding time.  During the restart, they were queuing up people outside for a bit but that was more about terminal building Covid capacity limits than enforcing the boarding times as they quickly stopped queueing up people as soon as they were able to

• Like 1

3 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

I hope not.  We have a 10:30 boarding time, I’d hate to have to wait a long time seeing as they assigned the time to us.  I also hope it’s not crowded with a bunch of people not willing to board at their assigned time.  Does it really make that much of a difference if you board at 10:30 vs 12:30?  It’s just a few hours.  It does make a difference for us as I’ve got dietary restrictions and am hoping to be able to eat lunch on board and will need time to talk to the restaurant etc.   if I’m understanding correctly most people hit the buffet after they board and that is open longer hours. 

Since the Alaska season hasn't opened yet for Celebrity, there isn't a definite answer.  However, Celebrity passengers are usually welcomed to enter the terminal as they arrive at Pier 91.  A large percentage of Celebrity passengers have completed their online check-in, which means that they can be quickly checked-in by agents using the handheld tablets.  Terminal doors should be opened around 10-10:15 AM, and boarding usually starts 11-ish, or a bit after.  The first boarding group will be the Retreat Guests, then the ADA folks. Last season the first 200 or so passengers received a 'boarding group ticket' which was used to meter the flow of passengers.  After that it was a general line, then just open boarding.  Celebrity embarkation usually flows pretty evenly (except if there is a delay in the ship being ready to receive passengers).

Just make sure that when you arrive at Pier 91, that you head towards the side of the terminal building that the Edge is moored at, and don't get into the Ovation OTS line.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, ICANTWAITTOCRUISE said:

Yes. Out of New Jersey, and then again out of Fort Lauderdale.  We now pick a 11:30 time and then walk right on the ship

1 minute ago, screwsmcernst said:

We checked in and then we sat in the terminal waiting area until 11:30 - 12 to board

Were you in the first wave of people to board?  I believe that the premise that people are asking if they have a later boarding time but show up at 10 am, will they be allowed to board with the first wave of people or are they forced to wait until their scheduled boarding time (unlikely)

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Were you in the first wave of people to board?  I believe that the premise that people are asking if they have a later boarding time but show up at 10 am, will they be allowed to board with the first wave of people or are they forced to wait until their scheduled boarding time (unlikely)

The shoreside staff try to board people by rows,  and that is usually the case, except in New Jersey.  We were in the 2nd row.  When staff came over to rows 1 & 2, all the other people in the other rows got up and headed to the ship.   It was a nightmare.  This was after suite people were boarded.

10 hours ago, Octavias said:

I hope not.  We have a 10:30 boarding time, I’d hate to have to wait a long time seeing as they assigned the time to us.  I also hope it’s not crowded with a bunch of people not willing to board at their assigned time.  Does it really make that much of a difference if you board at 10:30 vs 12:30?  It’s just a few hours.  It does make a difference for us as I’ve got dietary restrictions and am hoping to be able to eat lunch on board and will need time to talk to the restaurant etc.   if I’m understanding correctly most people hit the buffet after they board and that is open longer hours. 

Since we have a 12 PM Concierge Lunch, the board time assigned won't work.  Surprised they gave us one that late.

Just now, ScottC4746 said:

Since we have a 12 PM Concierge Lunch, the board time assigned won't work.  Surprised they gave us one that late.

You won't have a set time for your lunch.  It goes until 1:30  I believe.  You just show up to the restaurant and they will seat you.  

18 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

The shoreside staff try to board people by rows,  and that is usually the case, except in New Jersey.  We were in the 2nd row.  When staff came over to rows 1 & 2, all the other people in the other rows got up and headed to the ship.   It was a nightmare.  This was after suite people were boarded.

Thanks.  FLL, the port by Rome and Vancouver did not do this but it appears the outcome was the same.  Quite the free-for-all cluster once they announced we're ready to board

I will add with line cutters that I'm seeing more and random people let line cutters cut them.  Got off the Summit earlier this month, and self-carried off with I'd guess 200 others.  Watch a guy and his daughter come right up to the door who kept trying to cut people to get off the ship.  There was an officer at the door, and many angry people said something like "The back of the line is that way", the line cutter just said "Thank you" to anyone who commented and continued to attempt to wedge into the line at the exit door.  Within a minute of arriving, a couple just let him cut, and the officer said/did nothing

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Within a minute of arriving, a couple just let him cut, and the officer said/did nothing

These are the same people who see a lane merging on the highway and fly up to the front knowing that someone will cave and let them in.  I am of the other type in that you will hit orange cones/barrels for 2+ miles before I let you in.  Unless of course you have your purple traffic royalty sticker issued by the DMV visible in the window.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BeasleysMom66 said:

These are the same people who see a lane merging on the highway and fly up to the front knowing that someone will cave and let them in.  I am of the other type in that you will hit orange cones/barrels for 2+ miles before I let you in.  Unless of course you have your purple traffic royalty sticker issued by the DMV visible in the window.

It’s called zipper merge on the highways, and it works, look it up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1