Booking With "Shore Excursion" to Peggy's Cove....?

Considering booking an excursion to Peggy's Cove using Shore Excursion while in Halifax instead of a Princess sponsored excursion. A little bit nervous about the "what if something happens and we miss getting back to the ship in time". 

Whenever I book non-Princess excursions I calculate the "what ifs" and go from there. This time, since Halifax is the last day in a port, followed by our last day (sea day) of return to disembarking in Brooklyn, I don't want to take chance of missing the boat. However (like ... on the other hand...)... how risky is the risk, really?  Of using Shore Excursions in this case. 

Anyone have experiences using Shore Excursions to Peggy's Cove to help me weigh it out? 

Thanks All ~

When we were in Halifax we rented a car to go to Peggy’s Cove on our own. It’s a beautiful place to visit. 

Shore Excursions is a company that caters to cruise ship passengers. Its entire business model depends on making sure that passengers get back to their ship on time. We did this trip completely on our own, plus additional touring in Halifax and made it back on the ship on time with no problem. 

You will be on a carefully timed and managed tour designed to get you to and from your destination in a timely manner. I don’t think you have anything to worry about in terms of going with what seems to be a reliable company. 

• Like 2

I checked in to an independent tour in Halifax and asked the same question about Peggy's Cove.  We had a shorter stay on my second visit/cruise to Halifax.  

The independent tour operator/driver said that Peggy's Cove was about an hour outside of town.  He didn't feel comfortable including it in our tour but instead offered a closer "similar" village.  At the end, I did not do either.  

If you have any concerns, I would stick with Princess.  If you choose to use an independent operator, but sure they are very reliable.

Posted (edited)

I haven’t used a ship sponsored excursion in years and never had a problem.  As karatemom2 said, their business model depends on them getting you back on time. They would go under if they didn’t. 1 hour away is not a long time. Private tours are so much better.  As cr8tiv1 explained, if the tour company is nervous about getting you back, they won’t book it. 

And yes, we used a private tour company for Peggy’s Cove. 

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

Have you previously visited Halifax? The pier area is very nice. It's a long boardwalk with shops, restaurants, crafts, and lots more. The back street is also  nice. Ships dock at the lower end. I have been to Peggy's Cove. It was nice. But, in my opinion Halifax is equally nice, may be even better, and requires no tour. Just walk off and you are there. If you have never visited Halifax suggest you remain, walk and explore the boardwalk and surrounding area. 

Posted (edited)

We are renting a car and driving to Peggy's Cove.  Booked through Costco and are paying $168. Not sure if we will visit the cemetery first, so maybe bus tours will have left by then.  We are the only ship in port!!

Edited by Dancing Shoes