Odyssey of the Seas vs CCL!?

I will TRY to keep this as brief as possible 🤞 if you look at my sig you can see I’m a CCL cruiser-been Diamond for a long time-all the perks and I’m very spoiled! Husband passed unexpectedly couple years ago and instead of giving up cruising I’m a solo-I live in NE NJ so cruise from here now vs flying somewhere alone. I love to cruise in winter but CCL won’t have a ship here winter ‘25. Enter Odyssey! I do not care about itineraries. I mostly stay on ship. Don’t care much about shows either! I love to CRUISE! I love being ON a ship. I love to dress up for dinner. After I love to just have a drink and be around people. Thinking of booking OOTS March ‘25. Would the ship be a good fit for me? On CCL you can bring a bottle of wine and 12 pack of cans in carry on. Can I do this with OOTS? TIA for any advice/opinions! 

I won’t be Diamond on RCL. My point is that I’m very spoiled on CCL so I’m used to first on first off and having my feet kissed lol. I just am used to CCL and wondering if OOTS woukd be a good fit for me. No experience with RCL in years. 

YES to all questions. 

Wine, soda or water in your carryon is allowed.

Sailing out of Cape Liberty is a breeze and March is a great time.  We sail March just about every year out of NJ.

You will love Odyssey.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

YES to all questions. 

Wine, soda or water in your carryon is allowed.

Sailing out of Cape Liberty is a breeze and March is a great time.  We sail March just about every year out of NJ.

You will love Odyssey.

Not as crazy as Manhattan! 

• Like 1

Bayonne is a great Port to cruise from. Easy-peasy. Odyssey is a beautiful ship. The buffet is bigger than anything Carnival has and also more selection than Carnival but not much variation from day to day. The MDR is on par and some entrees are a little better than Carnival's dinner service. The cabins are waaay nicer than anything Carnival has. The balcony rooms are much more spacious, more storage, and nicer bathrooms. 

You should have a great time onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I won’t be Diamond on RCL. My point is that I’m very spoiled on CCL so I’m used to first on first off and having my feet kissed lol. I just am used to CCL and wondering if OOTS woukd be a good fit for me. No experience with RCL in years. 

You'll be just fine on Odyssey.

• Thanks 1

Don’t forget you get double points on RC traveling solo.    

I have 5 cruises on RC and I’ll be diamond on my next cruise.    I’m gett8ng 44 points on my next 2 cruises.  And it’s 80 to diamond.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Bayonne is a great Port to cruise from. Easy-peasy. Odyssey is a beautiful ship. The buffet is bigger than anything Carnival has and also more selection than Carnival but not much variation from day to day. The MDR is on par and some entrees are a little better than Carnival's dinner service. The cabins are waaay nicer than anything Carnival has. The balcony rooms are much more spacious, more storage, and nicer bathrooms. 

You should have a great time onboard.

I’ve been cruising on CCL Venezia. One more on 5/6. Until next year lol. I am very easy to please but Venezia’s buffet (I eat breakfast and lunch at buffets) is at the bottom of the list. I’ve never gone hungry. But set up and variety not the best. 

4 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

My gut instinct is you will miss the treatment you receive on CCL as a Diamond. I think you would be treated great by the staff on an RCI ship, like every passenger is treated, but you won’t get the special attention you receive on CCL. 

Just a side comment, I think it is way too easy to reach Diamond on Carnival (200 days). It has been years since I have sailed on Carnival, but on multiple cruises I went on a lot of loyalty perks were not provided because half of the passengers on the ship were Diamonds or Platinums. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

I'm diamond on carnival and sure never felt spoiled. Royal has much better loyalty perks just saying. Also only royal gives solos a discount, sure not carnival. At 340 pts 25% off.

It's hard to compare since royal gives me lots of perks, carnival pretty much nothing. 

Carnival has more fast food, I'll be honest. Royal better shows. I find the 2 more similar than not except I get 5 free drinks a day on royal, 1 drink on carnival the whole cruise

Royal you can bring 12 cans or bottles of soda, carnival only cans. Each adult can bring 1 bottle of wine. To clarify, if solo yes that's only 1 bottle of wine. 3 adults in the cabin, 3 bottles. Its per adult. 

Carnivals fast food is what I miss. Not free on royal.  Either mdr is not top notch imo. Similar. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

Thx to both of you. I think mentioning diamond was a bit misleading. Agree that CCL loyalty program is lacking. They do have an open bar cocktail party and captains open bar lunch. I’m more thinking on CCL I’m first on the ship, first off if I want, a few other little things. I’m just wondering if this ship would be a good fit for me. It’s different when you’re cruising solo (not by choice) Guess the only way to find out is to find out! 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Thx to both of you. I think mentioning diamond was a bit misleading. Agree that CCL loyalty program is lacking. They do have an open bar cocktail party and captains open bar lunch. I’m more thinking on CCL I’m first on the ship, first off if I want, a few other little things. I’m just wondering if this ship would be a good fit for me. It’s different when you’re cruising solo (not by choice) Guess the only way to find out is to find out! 😉

IMHO Royal does a FAR better job boarding their ships. "First on, First off" really isn't a concern with Royal.  ANONE can go from Uber to a bar stool in about 15-20 minutes, just check in online when the option opens and secure an early boarding time.

Odyssey is a GREAT ship, and i am fairly certain you will have ZERO regrets

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm diamond on carnival and sure never felt spoiled. Royal has much better loyalty perks just saying. Also only royal gives solos a discount, sure not carnival. At 340 pts 25% off.

It's hard to compare since royal gives me lots of perks, carnival pretty much nothing. 

Carnival has more fast food, I'll be honest. Royal better shows. I find the 2 more similar than not except I get 5 free drinks a day on royal, 1 drink on carnival the whole cruise

Royal you can bring 12 cans or bottles of soda, carnival only cans. Each adult can bring 1 bottle of wine. To clarify, if solo yes that's only 1 bottle of wine. 3 adults in the cabin, 3 bottles. Its per adult. 

Carnivals fast food is what I miss. Not free on royal.  Either mdr is not top notch imo. Similar. 

Very well said

Odyssey is an awesome ship, in my opinion. I think you would be fine cruising solo on her. There are plenty of options for food. I would not say the shows are the best in the RCI fleet but they are no where near the worst either. It is easy to find alone time when you want it and easy to meet and talk to people if you want to. It is a very classy ship and since you like to dress up you will fit right in. She also has one of the best designed Windjammers (RCI's buffet) in the fleet if that is your choice for breakfast and lunch. There is also a smaller buffet available in the solarium.

The first time I booked Odyssey I didn't really want to. I like other classes of RCI ships. I only booked because the date, price, and itinerary all came into alignment. This is now one of my favorite ships in the fleet. However, we are all different and cruise for different reasons. The only way you will really know is to give it a try.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

IMHO Royal does a FAR better job boarding their ships. "First on, First off" really isn't a concern with Royal.  ANONE can go from Uber to a bar stool in about 15-20 minutes, just check in online when the option opens and secure an early boarding time.

Odyssey is a GREAT ship, and i am fairly certain you will have ZERO regrets

Thx! I have to get out of my comfort zone! Solo cruises since DH passed have all been on same ship (Venezia) and so it’s easy for me to go back to where I’ve been and what I know!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I think you covered it well. However, I think that between El Loco Fresh, Cafe Two70, Solarium Bistro, Windjammer, and Sorrento's that there is plenty of opportunity to grab something to eat on Odyssey without having to pay extra.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think you covered it well. However, I think that between El Loco Fresh, Cafe Two70, Solarium Bistro, Windjammer, and Sorrento's that there is plenty of opportunity to grab something to eat on Odyssey without having to pay extra.

Lol firefly333  must be missing his Guys Burgers on CCL! I’m very easy to please. I’m sure I’ll find more than enough food so I don’t go hungry! 😋

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

While those are ok, I have to say love carnival pizza made from scratch where I can special order my white pizza with pepperoni. I had BLT 3 times at their deli. The deli on royal doesnt special order and make sandwiches  .. except beef and I've had trouble with finding beef cooked enough. And I love guys burgers, not the free ones on royal. We had free Mongolian bbq, not free on royal. Mexican about equal for free. Carnival cut my salad bowl so for me no longer a edge. Oh and free BBQ and all the sides there my last cruise. 

I still give carnival the nod. I posted over on carnival where the points guy gave the nod to carnival due to all the included fast food. For me carnival wins for free included food too. I make up for it on royal with my free drinks and 2 days of wifi and solo discount. 

• Like 1

Is the solo discount automatically figured in the fare? I’ve been researching all

morning. A balcony on OOTS for 7 days is going to cost me about as much as a balcony

on Venezia cost me for 11 day 3/25-4/5 and that was over Easter when rates are usually higher. Just wondering….🤔

4 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Is the solo discount automatically figured in the fare? I’ve been researching all

morning. A balcony on OOTS for 7 days is going to cost me about as much as a balcony

on Venezia cost me for 11 day 3/25-4/5 and that was over Easter when rates are usually higher. Just wondering….🤔

Hmmm,4 extra days? It's not my vacation but I would take the Venezia for the extra days!

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Hmmm,4 extra days? It's not my vacation but I would take the Venezia for the extra days!

I’ve been on her 3x. Going again 5/6 and booked for May, 2025. She’s a nice ship but….I live in NE NJ and only cruise from this area now and I enjoy getting away winter/pre spring. Carnival  isn’t keeping a ship here in the winter anymore so I’m looking for something else! 

14 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I’ve been on her 3x. Going again 5/6 and booked for May, 2025. She’s a nice ship but….I live in NE NJ and only cruise from this area now and I enjoy getting away winter/pre spring. Carnival  isn’t keeping a ship here in the winter anymore so I’m looking for something else! 

How about MSC Meraviglia?