Trivia

Sketty1616

Posted (edited)

Teams of usually up to eight, maybe six on smaller ships.

You just turn up a bit early on the first day and eyeball the room - then you wander around and ask any group you like the look of if they need someone else on their team.

If nothing works out well for you doing that, the Cruise Director and assistants are pretty good at getting you on a team, just ask them.

It's very pot luck, sometimes you get a good team, not always.

Be warned - trivia on Silversea is a blood sport, not to be undertaken lightly.

(By which I mean it's very competitive but enormous fun!)

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

We wander the room listening to accents. The ideal team is for a mixture of countries and if possible ages. Most people attending do so as couples. With us being Australian we look out for a couple from the UK and a couple from the USA plus whoever else is available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Teams of usually up to eight, maybe six on smaller ships.

You just turn up a bit early on the first day and eyeball the room - then you wander around and ask any group you like the look of if they need someone else on their team.

If nothing works out well for you doing that, the Cruise Director and assistants are pretty good at getting you on a team, just ask them.

It's very pot luck, sometimes you get a good team, not always.

Be warned - trivia on Silversea is a blood sport, not to be undertaken lightly.

(By which I mean it's very competitive but enormous fun!)

So the teams stay together for the entire trip?

1 minute ago, Sketty1616 said:

So the teams stay together for the entire trip?

Yes, usually.  Sometimes if people are absent due to a delayed shore excursion, there will be temporary members.  Like @drron29, my trivia group usually had a farewell lunch or dinner together because we all got on so well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, drron29 said:

We wander the room listening to accents. The ideal team is for a mixture of countries and if possible ages. Most people attending do so as couples. With us being Australian we look out for a couple from the UK and a couple from the USA plus whoever else is available.

and an European as well -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

and an European as well -

Unfortunately not as many of them. In fact on this cruise for the first segment very few from the USA so we had a Canadian couple instead. They were very good.

In the past there has been a European or two on the team we are in.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Unfortunately not as many of them. In fact on this cruise for the first segment very few from the USA so we had a Canadian couple instead. They were very good.

last  year on celebrity I broke a question standing with no correct reply for nearly 6 months 

CD was not so happy -  

Ms. Jones is spot on when she says it's a blood sport.  One year I went so far as to try and recruit  my team here in advance.  I have found there are a few keys in putting together a team, you need an Aussie, a Brit, and an American.  You also need someone that knows show tunes and someone young enough to know music post 2000.  It also helps if someone knows opera. The most essential knowledge is Geography.  They used always to ask questions about 'groups of" i.e a group of crows is a murder and phobias.  Two members of my  recruited  team actually  printed out pages of both to study in advance .  I hope they have stopped those damn questions, they had noon on the last cruise.   I think we won about 70% of the games.  It also helps to find a polymath, I had one on my last cruise, the grand South American cruise.  He got everything I didn't get, we went 20 for 20 4 or 5 times.  We won 10 of 11 and only lost one game because there were 2 questions on cricket.  For what it's worth, after 10 cruises, I have concluded that Ms. Jones is the best trivia player among SS regulars, except for the polymath, if I see him again, I didn't not get his name.I am going to handcuff him to our table.  

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

Ms. Jones is spot on when she says it's a blood sport.  One year I went so far as to try and recruit  my team here in advance.  I have found there are a few keys in putting together a team, you need an Aussie, a Brit, and an American.  You also need someone that knows show tunes and someone young enough to know music post 2000.  It also helps if someone knows opera. The most essential knowledge is Geography.  They used always to ask questions about 'groups of" i.e a group of crows is a murder and phobias.  Two members of my  recruited  team actually  printed out pages of both to study in advance .  I hope they have stopped those damn questions, they had noon on the last cruise.   I think we won about 70% of the games.  It also helps to find a polymath, I had one on my last cruise, the grand South American cruise.  He got everything I didn't get, we went 20 for 20 4 or 5 times.  We won 10 of 11 and only lost one game because there were 2 questions on cricket.  For what it's worth, after 10 cruises, I have concluded that Ms. Jones is the best trivia player among SS regulars, except for the polymath, if I see him again, I didn't not get his name.I am going to handcuff him to our table.  

Wow, pretty serious.

Is there a minimum or maximum number of players on a team?

Was hoping to show up with my high level of trivia knowledge and have someone recognize this and invite me to join their team. Sarcasm intended.

• Haha 1

No minimum, you can play on your own if you want but you'll be at a disadvantage.

Usual max is eight pax, and once formed it is usual for the team to stay the same for the whole cruise.

Don't get too bound up by what Chris says - yes it's competitive but the main idea is to have fun.

The 'points' you win if coming in first, second or third are almost completely worthless, it's just about bragging rights and no-one is listening to those!

It's just for fun, and it usually is fun.

2 hours ago, Sketty1616 said:

Wow, pretty serious.

Is there a minimum or maximum number of players on a team?

Was hoping to show up with my high level of trivia knowledge and have someone recognize this and invite me to join their team. Sarcasm intended.

sorry, I get carried away.  It is a lot of fun.  

26 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

sorry, I get carried away.  It is a lot of fun.  

No worries. I just love trivia, but didn't want to go against any established protocols of seasoned SS trivia players. Don't want to be shunned on the first day🤣

The points are awarded each day; it’s not “progressive”— 5 for first place, 3 for second, 1 for third. Generously, ties all get that level of points, so one day on Whisper every team got at least 1 (worthless) point!

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2024 at 4:23 PM, drron29 said:

I'm Swiss but living in the UK since 2000 so I would tick both boxes 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Mountain Traveler said:

We were in the Panorama Lounge on Silver Cloud a few months ago and after enjoying our afternoon cocktails were run off by trivia players who wanted "their" table for the upcoming trivia contest.  We were about ready to leave anyway, but they were borderline rude about it.

We've found the bridge players similarly territorial in whichever lounge they occupy.

4 hours ago, Mountain Traveler said:

We were in the Panorama Lounge on Silver Cloud a few months ago and after enjoying our afternoon cocktails were run off by trivia players who wanted "their" table for the upcoming trivia contest.  We were about ready to leave anyway, but they were borderline rude about it.

The should really get up early and put a book, towel and sunglasses on the table. 

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2024 at 8:50 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

The points are awarded each day; it’s not “progressive”— 5 for first place, 3 for second, 1 for third. Generously, ties all get that level of points, so one day on Whisper every team got at least 1 (worthless) point!

On 4/26/2024 at 3:13 PM, Sketty1616 said:

I keep seeing posts referring to trivia. I am a big trivia buff. Is the on-board trivia singles or teams? If it is teams, how do you get on a team?

@Sketty1616  as has been said, the points won each day are pretty low but can build up, especially if you also do the daily quiz and submit in time, if you've further SS cruises to look forward to then you can get a points carry out certificate to boost your prize potential on your next cruise 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Can anyone give me some idea of the questions? I don’t want to show up and make a fool of myself. 

You don't need to worry. Just turn up on day 1 and you will find a team happy to have you join them. In my experience on many SS cruises no one makes a fool of themselves. The teams often become good friends and extend their relationship beyond trivia to dine or have cocktails together as well. I have two teams that I still correspond with several years after we "made fools of ourselves" together. Have fun.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Can anyone give me some idea of the questions? I don’t want to show up and make a fool of myself. 

The phobia ones were the hardest – but everyone made fools of themselves on those!  In fact, part of what made trivia fun on Whisper was the knowingly crazy answers people would shout out...